Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Why did Adkins not like playing Dobson, Marshall and Purrington then if they can play like they did today
  • Options
    Never a headbutt but I wouldn’t put it past the FA
  • Options
    I bet the players enjoyed applauding the supporters at the end of the game, compared to the last few games  :)
  • Options
    "Listen, Sandgaard might not thank me but get the contract out, put it on the table. Let him sign it,".

"Let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there, given what he's done since he's come in. Jacko's at the wheel, man. He's doing it. He's doing his thing. Charlton are on the way BACK."

It was a joke... If you can read through the words of the quote you'll realise its what Rio Ferdinand said about Ole Gunne Solskjaer after they beat PSG 3-1 in the Champions League a few years ago
    For someone in the USA that reference is far to obscure. 😂
    And  for some in the UK for that matter.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The difference in solidity was staggering. When their wingers had the ball we doubled up on them. Under Adkins we just left the winger one-on-one with our full-back and it cost us so many times. When they got near our penalty area, we were narrow and had bodies around the ball so they never had time to pick the pass or take a shot. Under Nige it was like target practice.

Going forwards the difference was equally crazy. We made it look so hard to even get into our opponent's half under NA, under JJ today we got forward at will and created some really good openings. 

The squad will likely need reworking in January with this formation. We're playing 2 up front but we only have 3 strikers in the squad. We have 3 wingers and we are playing a winger-less formation. Playing Leko at RWB today is surely a statement that we don't have a RWB (and kudos to Leko who was brilliant today).

I'll end by saying a lot of unfair criticism has been levelled at Sandgaard, Roddy, the 'structure', the window, etc.. for what was clearly a simple problem... The manager. I thought we more than matched Sunderland today, we were the better side. 
    I think it highlights the fact that we did not buy the players that could play the system that NA wanted to.

Hats off to JJ for making the best of what is available, picking the players that were prepared to play for the shirt, and playing a formation to win the game. Outstanding performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Lee Johnson is the biggest twat in League One and it makes today's victory all the sweeter. 
    And that's generous. I would say across the top 5 divisions of the football pyramid if it wasn't for the Torquay manager.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    The difference in solidity was staggering. When their wingers had the ball we doubled up on them. Under Adkins we just left the winger one-on-one with our full-back and it cost us so many times. When they got near our penalty area, we were narrow and had bodies around the ball so they never had time to pick the pass or take a shot. Under Nige it was like target practice.

Going forwards the difference was equally crazy. We made it look so hard to even get into our opponent's half under NA, under JJ today we got forward at will and created some really good openings. 

The squad will likely need reworking in January with this formation. We're playing 2 up front but we only have 3 strikers in the squad. We have 3 wingers and we are playing a winger-less formation. Playing Leko at RWB today is surely a statement that we don't have a RWB (and kudos to Leko who was brilliant today).

I'll end by saying a lot of unfair criticism has been levelled at Sandgaard, Roddy, the 'structure', the window, etc.. for what was clearly a simple problem... The manager. I thought we more than matched Sunderland today, we were the better side. 
    I think it highlights the fact that we did not buy the players that could play the system that NA wanted to.

Hats off to JJ for making the best of what is available, picking the players that were prepared to play for the shirt, and playing a formation to win the game. Outstanding performance.
    Just to clarify, you're saying Adkins wasn't the problem? It was the players we brought in to play his 'system'?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Why did Adkins not like playing Dobson, Marshall and Purrington then if they can play like they did today
    Marshall??
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:

Just to clarify, you're saying Adkins wasn't the problem? It was the players we brought in to play his 'system'?
    Was it Adkins' system or 'the' system consistent across the club that he was required to play?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lee Johnson is full of sh!t
  • Options
    Morrison on Quest saying it was a pen on the Pearce block. Happened so fast, I couldn’t tell. Should it have been a pen?
  • Options
    Lee Johnson is an arrogant little man,
    his father Gary was more of a gentleman 😂😂
    well done JJ & JE and team who played like a team 👍👍👍
  • Options
    edited October 2021