Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    IdleHans said:
    Chunes said:
    Redrobo said:
    Chunes said:
    The difference in solidity was staggering. When their wingers had the ball we doubled up on them. Under Adkins we just left the winger one-on-one with our full-back and it cost us so many times. When they got near our penalty area, we were narrow and had bodies around the ball so they never had time to pick the pass or take a shot. Under Nige it was like target practice.

Going forwards the difference was equally crazy. We made it look so hard to even get into our opponent's half under NA, under JJ today we got forward at will and created some really good openings. 

The squad will likely need reworking in January with this formation. We're playing 2 up front but we only have 3 strikers in the squad. We have 3 wingers and we are playing a winger-less formation. Playing Leko at RWB today is surely a statement that we don't have a RWB (and kudos to Leko who was brilliant today).

I'll end by saying a lot of unfair criticism has been levelled at Sandgaard, Roddy, the 'structure', the window, etc.. for what was clearly a simple problem... The manager. I thought we more than matched Sunderland today, we were the better side. 
    I think it highlights the fact that we did not buy the players that could play the system that NA wanted to.

Hats off to JJ for making the best of what is available, picking the players that were prepared to play for the shirt, and playing a formation to win the game. Outstanding performance.
    Just to clarify, you're saying Adkins wasn't the problem? It was the players we brought in to play his 'system'?
    Was it Adkins' system or 'the' system consistent across the club that he was required to play?

That's a conspiracy theory. JJ has come in and changed it. Adkins also played a 3-5-2 at one point and it was still rubbish. 

Anyway. Howay the lads.
  • Options
    I can see why some people are unhappy with the players not performing previously and then turning in a performance like that, but when you look at the cheap goals we conceded over the last few weeks, and how tactically inept we were, then the answer begins to take shape. We played a system that didn’t work, and when that happened you’ve got a team of capable players with no confidence. Today was a breath of fresh air, hopefully it’s the start of a run and we can finally connect with this squad. No doubt for me the right man is in charge of that.
    Like I said time will tell on this. There certainly didn't seem to be the lack of fitness so many had been saying, there was certainly no lack of effort and there was definitely some quality shown by some players who had previously shown very little.

I know you were quite vocal in your stance about Adkins, that's fair enough but equally I don't think we can judge anything either way after just 1 game. Let's see where we are and how the performances have been after a few more, next week will be more of a measure of all involved imo.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I LOVE it when you talk in words & phrases I can understand, Grapevine ! 

And I agree with every one of the above gems. 

Tonight, I am  salivating over the way that our lads ( yes, ALL of them !) stepped up to the plate today with total commitment & 100% desire to bring home the 3 points whilst bemoaning the fact that the Fanackapans could not be there in person to witness this undoubted successful turn around. 

But, apart from praising the 14 heroes that played their part on the pitch, I have been thinking of the 13 woeful matches prior to today with JJ & JE on the sidelines , "innocent bystanders" in effect with hands tied & seemingly at a loss to influence the debacle unfolding before them. 

Forgive me, Nigel, if I'm wide of the mark- misconstruing the body language and, from those seated behind the home dugout at The Valley, the actual language emanating from that area - but from what I've witnessed & heard from others, the gaffer was not for turning... His word & tactics etc were seemingly sacrosanct. 

How soul destroying must it have been for those 2 Charlton legends to stand there match after match, "kicking" every ball, flinching at every mistimed tackle by an honest player forced out of his natural position once again, whilst trying hard to maintain an air of supporting their manager. Their thankless task could be likened to Hercules' pursuance of the Erymanthian Boar, or should that be Bore ? ( Further apologies Nigel ) 

It was abundantly clear today that they revelled in the roles they now hold with their enthusiasm, pride &  love for this football club shining out for all to see. THIS is what the faithful and those wearing the shirt have been crying out for since the start of this so far desperately worrying season. 

Common sense & acceptance that the status quo was not an option finally prevailed with our owner reaching the decision already made in the stands. WE knew it made sense.

Johnnie & Jason will do us proud- of that I have no doubt - but as is always the case at Charlton, it will inevitably be a rollercoaster ride. They have come through the trials & tribulations of trying to implement the methods of A N Other, despite their misgivings & possibly reluctance to do so, and must be given our heartfelt thanks for their loyalty to our club. 

Now they have the reward they both so deserve. 

The new gaffer's post match words are those to which we can all relate with no nuances or waffle : straight to the point with honesty & clarity leaving us in no doubt that his hopes & aims are the same us ours. 

We know they will do their utmost to lead this famous football club & all who sail in her, onwards & upwards. 

We must ensure that our commitment matches theirs. And that they know without a doubt they have our 100% support. 

In JJ & JE we trust.

All bang on the money there!! Couldn’t have put it better myself
  • Options
    I take it from the player marks, the keeper had a lot better game today? Hopefully we can start getting some more clean sheets & everyone’s confidence will build at the back. 
  • Options
    amesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B)
    >Jessie said:
    >If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B

Hello?

Mmmmm think you forgetting Ian Dowie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    JJ is such a dude. We are so lucky to have him.

And my man stockers hushing the haters once again.

Buzzing.
  • Options
    The players should be ashamed of themselves for the awful performances they have put in this season. I dont remember Adkins ever crossing the white line and playing for us, yet he gets the blame whilst this bunch of chancers who havent put a shift in all season are lauded as heroes. They need to take a good look at themselves. 
    Evening Mrs. Adkins.
    57 lols incoming 

• Options
    Morrison on Quest saying it was a pen on the Pearce block. Happened so fast, I couldn’t tell. Should it have been a pen?
    Always hard to tell with the limited camera angles on the the stream but in normal time I thought Pearce had his arms up, on the replay his arms were down and I’m pretty sure it hit his face. After passage of play died down he went down holding his face. 

Thought Pearce was very good today btw. 
  • Options
    Jacko now is 2-0-0 as a manager.
    4-0-0 if you include the Pizza Cup matches he unofficially took. 
    Thought that was official. 
    He was employed as Assistant Manager and Adkins was manager when those game happened so can he have been officially in charge?
  • Options
    just got in, was in pub at 2. What the fuck….. ! Where did that come from…

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JESUS  !!!

They're 2nd in the league (could be top after their games in hand) & had won ALL of their previous home games. 

I really hope they never get promoted. Entitled or what ?
  • Options
    Great away support. Great win. Great JJ. As is often the case in caretaker roles -the guy holding the fort sometimes just has the midas touch and evrrything he does wins while caretaked. Then the contract comes out. Signed. 3 year contract.  And the weight of responsibility suddenly comes along..And the midas touch disappears. I wonder if having a constantly renewable caretaker rolling contract would ever work? Has it been done before? Obv managers, like all of us, want security and the backing that a contract brings....

JJ would be a dream. With the fire and passion and leadership qualities he has. I wonder though whether Euelly will be the best no2 or whether he harbours designs on being manager now himself? 

Anyway great win lads