Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sunderland vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 23rd October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Shame that none of the highlights I've seen (even the extended ones on Valley Pass) don't show the Purrington miss, although it was probably miss of the season so not one to boast about. Would love to see the 50/50 Dobson won just before half time too, that got as big of a roar than the actual goal!!
    it's on this thread somewhere, a video filmed by a Sunderland fan.
    Thanks I'll have a look through, must've missed it
  • Options
    KHA said:
    Shame that none of the highlights I've seen (even the extended ones on Valley Pass) don't show the Purrington miss, although it was probably miss of the season so not one to boast about. Would love to see the 50/50 Dobson won just before half time too, that got as big of a roar than the actual goal!!
    You can watch the whole match for free here:
    https://safc.com/news/team-news/2021/october/charlton-athletic/full-90-vs-charlton

Amazing. Missed the match because of a wedding. Gonna watch it now, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Watching the goal back I've noticed how Tom Flanagan either gets a slight nudge or just makes it look like he does.

Either way he needs to stop doing that and just focus on winning the ball, as wasnt he the one who attempted the same overreaction at Wembley when he had Pearce behind him in the build up to Bauer's goal?
  • Options
    Feels a bit much to watch the 90 mins again but I'm sure I will end up doing so!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I was thinking about the goal. When O'Nein handled, Washington tapped it in. If he had stopped the ball going over the line, and Washington tapped it in for the goal, would O'Nein have been sent off? I suppose the issue is around preventing a goal, but does that apply to Stockley's header or the whole passage of play (if the header didn't go in and the ref let us play the advantage)? I suppose it wouldn't have changed anything unless Washington missed.

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Sometimes you can be a flop at one place, but move on to be a legend elsewhere.

Who is he?
    Seriously? Bob Stokoe managed us went on to manage Sunderland  to a surprise FA Cup final win over the all conquering Leeds Utd of the 60s & 70s. The Mackems keeper Jim Montgomery made a Banksesque worldly save to clinch victory.

Here you go; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZmFoo4payA
    Yep, seriously but this was long before I was born.

I’ve heard of him but didn’t link him and the statue until your explanation. 

First fa cup memory, Coventry beating spurs
    He was also one of the first people in football to call out Leeds manger Don Revie as a cheat, Revie offered Stokoe a bribe to throw a game whilst Stokoe was manager of Bury and Revie was boss at Leeds. 
  • Options
    There are extended highlights on Youtube, Addickton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Don’t mean to derail the thread, and I hope I’m remembering this correctly, but didn’t Stokoe break Brian Clough’s leg?
    No. Stokoe played in the match but Clough did his ACL in a clash with the Bury goalkeeper both pursuing a 50:50 ball. Stokoe accused Clough of play acting though even though he (Clough) had suffered what was then a career ending injury.
  • Options
    just watched it - great performance - pearce didn't handle it, didn't see a stockley headbutt but did see a clear handball from their centre half in first half when stockley and i think lavelle were well placed to nod in - their centre half then acted as though it hit him in the face
  • Options
    I’m absolutely loving this new lineup Jacko’s got going!

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B)
    >Jessie said:
    >If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B

Hello?

He looks so cool in this photo - great suit.
    Stone cold legend 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    MattF said:
    Safe to say that wasn't better than sex for Lee Johnson 

Is Lee Johnsons interview available to see/hear anywhere ?
    If you've heard one, you've heard them all.
    I haven't heard one ?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    MattF said:
    Safe to say that wasn't better than sex for Lee Johnson 

Is Lee Johnsons interview available to see/hear anywhere ?
    I can't link directly to it, but you can see the Quest Highlights show here:
    https://www.discoveryplus.co.uk/show/efl-on-quest
    The Sunderland match "highlights" begin at about 45 mins on the 23/10/21 episode (including a brief cameo from Olly as Jacko gets off the coach), the interviews start just before 47 mins, and the studio discussion is at 52m30
    If you've got a Valley Pass subscription, there's 9 minutes of highlights available on there, plus Jacko's post match interview, but Dobson's isn't up yet.
    Thanks Aliwibble 
  • Options
    Just watched the whole game, no way dd Pearce handball it, you can see it straight away. Apart from that there was nothing wrong with the ref, possiby could have booked Stockley for time wasting but allowed Stockley to be fouled several times with no whistle.

And, having read the Sunderland site, if they think that is their team playing shit then they have been spoilt all season. If we had played that 'badly' all season we would be mid table.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I mean if anything that video just shows even more that it’s a shoulder barge. 
    I mean, even accounting for bias as a Charlton fan I can't see any point his head actually contacts the Sunderland guy. Yes he definitely does barge him out of the way but that's not illegal in itself. 
  • Options
    Wow... trying to super slo mo a barge!
  • Options
    Comfortably the weirdest set of fans in the country.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Some interesting comments from Sunderland fans about Charlton fans:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/charlton-fans.1562958/page-3#post-34821952

And now they want to buy Leko: https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/jonathan-leko.1562942/
    I had a read of the 'buy' one and this popped up: "The manager telt a player to get our there,,,".  I've never come across 'telt' before, obviously the past tense of tell, perhaps it's an early spelling like spelt, learnt, etc. and it's just died out down here.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bubble said:
    Jessie said:
    If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B)
    >Jessie said:
    >If Jacko gets the job permanently he'll be the most handsome manager we've ever had B

Hello?

He looks so cool in this photo - great suit.
    Stone cold legend 
    You wouldn't want to have an argument with him, that's the look of a man who eats three Shredded Wheat for breakfast.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    thenewbie said:
    I mean, even accounting for bias as a Charlton fan I can't see any point his head actually contacts the Sunderland guy. Yes he definitely does barge him out of the way but that's not illegal in itself. 
    I dunno about that mate, on the slow mo I think it does show his head connect with his face, which is assumedly what caused the blood in his mouth.
  • Options
    At worst, I would say that the ‘evidence’ is inconclusive. Sounds like the bandwagon to get Stockley banned is on a roll, and I would suggest that the referee’s report will be key.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Not sure how you can't see their heads connect. Obviously it was a shoulder barge "gone wrong" as I really don't think Stockley intended any more than that. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a ban though.