Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First FA cup experience

What are your first FA cup memories, Charlton and non charlton

charlton related ones are hard because we’ve been so poor. I remember taking a couple of days off school “ill” to go to anfield, I think it was the day Ian rush announced his retirement. I must have seen 7 or 8 cup games before then but can’t remember any. 

Non Charlton, I remember watching the coventry spurs final. 

Comments

• Options
    Non Charlton - first cup final I remember watching was in 1984 - Everton v Watford.

first Charlton related one that I can remember is when we lost 0-1 to West Ham in 1985-Tony Cottee scored a couple of mins from the end. 
  • Options
    Watching us on tv v Harlow. My first live game was the next round at home to Bournemouth I think. A 2-1 win. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Wasnt overly aware of Charlton games each week in 1994 (despite having been to one with my school) - But remember coming back from the library knowing we were playing Man Utd that day... So one of my earliest memories would be Peter Schmeichel getting sent off in that tie when I watched the highlights.

Their 4-0 win over Chelsea in the Final is definitely the first FA Cup Final that I remember.

First game I attended was probably a 4-2 (?) Third Round win over Nottingham Forest in the 97/98 season. 
  • Options
    Non Charlton - Arsenal v West Ham 1980. We were on holiday for the game but friends had just invested in a video recorder so they taped it for us and we watched it when we got home.

Charlton v Watford at The Valley, January 1984. The only time I ever stood on the East Terrace.
  • Options
    Losing to Spurs by the odd goal in five at White Hart Lane in 1961. Too young to be there but I remember waiting for the result on Grandstand. 
  • Options
    I was watching Charlton in 1968 but cannot remember a cup game that season.  The next year, we beat Palace in a replay at Shithouse Park (including Ray Treacy thunderbolt and a Charlie Wright penalty save...), then went to Highbury to give Arsenal a good game.
  • Options
    My first ever Charlton game was the FA Cup 5th Round match against Ipswich at Portaloo Road in February 1981, a few days before my 10th birthday.

We lost. That fixture has pretty much set the tone for my Charlton-supporting life in general and the FA Cup in particular.

My first FA Cup memory is the 1978 Final when Ipswich beat Arsenal 1-0.
  • Options
    remember going to Harlow away 
  • Options
    Earliest fa cup game that I've been to that I remember was Chelmsford city against VS rugby in the 4th qualifying round. Won 2-1 and the stadium was packed with over twice the usual crowd... Nearly 3000. It was rocking
  • Options
    Earliest memory of fa cup on tv was the 1977 Man Utd v Liverpool final.
    first charlton memory in the cup was attending a game at Colchester which we somehow won 1-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a mate who was a Palace fan, used to go to Selhurst with him now and again but wasn't committed to them.

We went to the 0-0 FA cup game at the Valley. Went to the replay at Selhurst where Charlton won 2-0, came back with the Charlton fans chanting and hollering up Norwood High Street and decided they were the team for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    1st round proper in 1996 - Ashford Town vs Dagenham and Redbridge - about 1500 people there which was about 1200 more than a normal league game. Drew 2-2 and I remember standing on a bin to watch the second half as I couldn't see a thing. We went to Dagenham and Redbridge for the replay and drew 1-1, but won 4-3 on penalties. 

Then we travelled up to Watford and lost 5-0 in the second round.
  • Options
    6/3/63
    Chelsea at home. Lost 0-3.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    First FA Cup game - Hendon v Canterbury City in 1977. Hendon won 1-0 and qualified for the 1st Round Proper. 

First FA Cup game involving a league team - Hendon v Reading in 1977. Hendon won 1-0. 

First FA Cup game involving two league teams - Swindon v Brentford in 1981 - 2-2 draw. Stan Bowles was playing for Bees and I went on the train on my own from Paddington (felt like a massive adventure, as I was 15). 

First Charlton FA Cup game - Ipswich at The Valley in 1983 - lost 2-3. It has never got any better than that, in terms of sheer entertainment and a great atmosphere.  

2nd Charlton FA Cup game - Colchester at Layer Road in 1984 - won 1-0 with the most bizzare own goal ever. 

First FA Cup memory - kids at cubs talking about the next day's Final between Fulham and West Ham in 1975. 

First Final watched on TV - Manchester Utd v Southampton 1976.

First and only Final(s) attended - QPR v Tottenham in 1982. 
  • Options
    Coventry away 3-2. 2-0 down and went on 3-2. During the title winning season under Curbs.
  • Options
    Leeds / Chelsea, 1970 on the TV.  I was sworn enemies with the neighbours lad so he "supported" Leeds and I "supported" Chelsea.  We were 10.  I was a principled chap even in those days and I didn't like Leeds' reputation for foul play.
  • Options
    The first final I definitely watched was the 1976 one (Soton 1 Man U 0)

I'm sure I've been to an earlier Charlton FA Cup match, but the earliest one I definitely went to was the 2-1 defeat to Everton at Selhurst in 1991, the only home game I ever saw at Selhurst and sadly Tommy Caton's final game
  • Options

I'm sure I've been to an earlier Charlton FA Cup match, but the earliest one I definitely went to was the 2-1 defeat to Everton at Selhurst in 1991, the only home game I ever saw at Selhurst and sadly Tommy Caton's final game
    Alex Dyer with a bullet header at The Sainsbury's End, I think. 

• Options
    The 1983 3-2 home defeat to Ipswich is my first FA Cup memory. I think we were 2 nil up and Ipswich were a big deal at the time. I was on the East Terrace for the first time.

I recall Les Berry found Eric Gates and Alan Brazil a right handful. Funny I took a real dislike to Brazil back then. So even as a 9 Yr old it appears I was a good judge of character.

Great thread Toddy!
  • Options
    First cup final I remember was Man City 1 Leicester 0 in 1969. As for Charlton, can't really place my first cup game; I know I went vs Sheffield Wednesday in 1976, which we won 2-1 but is remembered mainly for a lot of crowd trouble. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Non Charlton, Everton vs spurs in the 95 semi final, watched it on TV. 

1st charlton Cup memory, the 3rd round tie with Newcastle in 97, still remember the kinsella goal
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Yes thats right great header from a Morts cross i think. I was right behind it. I'm pretty sure they replicated it the following week v Bristol Rovers.
  • Options
    First cup final I remember clearly was 1973, Sunderland v Leeds. 
    First Charlton cup memory was 1976 v Wednesday. The away fans took the Covered End, which was the first time I'd seen that happen. 1-0 down, won 2-1 with a great goal from Paddy Powell. Knocked out in 5th round at Wolves 3-0, John Richards hat trick. 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    The 1983 3-2 home defeat to Ipswich is my first FA Cup memory. I think we were 2 nil up and Ipswich were a big deal at the time. I was on the East Terrace for the first time.

I recall Les Berry found Eric Gates and Alan Brazil a right handful. Funny I took a real dislike to Brazil back then. So even as a 9 Yr old it appears I was a good judge of character.

Great thread Toddy!
    Berry fouled Gates on the halfway line but he didn't fall over until he got in the box.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    First cup final I remember was falling asleep in my Man Utd kit as a 5 year old in 1976 when they played Southampton

First cup game I can specifically remember attending was the man Utd - Brighton final in 1983

Cant remember first Charlton cup game though although recall losing to Division 3 Walsall at Selhurst when we were top flight, but would have seen Cup games prior to that though
  • Options
    The 85/86 Liverpool vs Everton one is the first final I really remember. Unsurprisingly Charlton wise not much early stuff sticks in the mind barring the Kettering game at Selhurst
  • Options
    First Charlton FA Cup match I went to was home to Pompey in January 1975. Drew 1-1. Inevitably, lost the replay 3-0.
    First Cup Final I remember was Liverpool Newcastle in 74.
  • Options
    The first cup final I can remember was Everton Liverpool in 86. Lineker put everton in front at half time, but Liverpool rolled them over 2nd half and won 3-1. I remember wanting Everton to win because of their kit....an absolute classic!
  • Options

CAFC 2-1 Derby Jan 62. A 34000 crowd saw a magical display by Stuart Leary.

WHU 3-0 CAFC Jan 64. We were having a rare good season but got soundly put in our place by that year's eventual Cup winners.

• Options
    Kips said:
    Simonsen said:

Yes thats right great header from a Morts cross i think. I was right behind it. I'm pretty sure they replicated it the following week v Bristol Rovers.
    They did. Another rocket header....same end.