Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First FA cup experience

124»

Comments

• Options
    West Ham 3 Charlton 0, third round of FA cup in January 1964. West Ham went on to win the cup that year.
    This was the first Charlton one for me too.
    The West Ham v. Preston final was also the first I watched on TV.
    I remember really wanting to watch the previous years final between ManU and Leicester, but due to the famous harsh winter of 62/63 all the fixtures were delayed and by the time the final was played we were on our family holiday!
  • Options
    I can remember most form around 71-72 till about mid 80's from then on it's a bit sketchy....and if I'm honest haven't really cared for the last 20 odd years.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I was watching Charlton in 1968 but cannot remember a cup game that season.  The next year, we beat Palace in a replay at Shithouse Park (including Ray Treacy thunderbolt and a Charlie Wright penalty save...), then went to Highbury to give Arsenal a good game.
    This is how I know I didn't start going until '69/70, because I only know of the Palace & Arsenal games.
    My first memories were Wolves away in 75 (John Richards hat trick).
    Sheff W at home also 75?. They took the Covered End before we arrived.
    We used to get about 5,000 at home and we had @20,000.
    Next season we had Portsmouth at home & drew 1-1 in front of about 26,000.
    We won the replay 1-3.
    No doubt the above is not totally accurate and am happy to be corrected as I can't be bothered to check.

Sheff Wed, Portsmouth - same season 3rd/4th round, remember arriving really early for the Pompey game, CE packed with Charlton, 10,000 Pompey in The South, next up was Wolves away.

They are my first CAFC memories.

Vague interest in Leeds Chelsea, 1970. Full day, round a mates with colour tv, for Liverpool Arsenal 1971 final.
    Pompey away was 3-0 but your right about the 10,000 (at least) that they brought up to the Valley. Wolves away saw the John Richards hatrick, around 5,000 Charlton on their South Bank.  Also remember Wednesday taking the Covered End, from memory the only team to have done that (in my time anyway) though others 'had a go' such as Forest & Brum amongst others.
  • Options
    colchester away early 80's - went in new car, brother caught my arm in electric window, dad got annoyed, even more when somebody pushed in queue at petrol station - dad had him sprawled out over car bonnet with pump nozzle in his face - can't remember anything of the match other than being entertained by the crowd action - all in all, a memorable day - the cup aint what it was !!!  :D  
  • Options
    The first FA Cup game I went to was the 2-0 win against Bristol City in March 1994, which I believe then set up the trip to Old Trafford.

I was only 6 at the time but remember being very upset that my Dad didn’t take me to Man United away, but I only realised we had played there after the game had happened 😂
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    colchester away early 80's - went in new car, brother caught my arm in electric window, dad got annoyed, even more when somebody pushed in queue at petrol station - dad had him sprawled out over car bonnet with pump nozzle in his face - can't remember anything of the match other than being entertained by the crowd action - all in all, a memorable day - the cup aint what it was !!!  :D  
    Very lucky to win 1-0.
  • Options
    My first ever Charlton game at The Valley was a midweek cup game vs Spurs in Feb ‘01. We were up 2-0. Lost 4-2. Chrissy Powell and Svensson scored for us.
  • Options
    Earliest memory of fa cup on tv was the 1977 Man Utd v Liverpool final.
    first charlton memory in the cup was attending a game at Colchester which we somehow won 1-0.
    Double snap! Maybe we are the same age.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Earliest fa cup game that I've been to that I remember was Chelmsford city against VS rugby in the 4th qualifying round. Won 2-1 and the stadium was packed with over twice the usual crowd... Nearly 3000. It was rocking

1961 for me, Chelmsford City V Kings Lynn 1-2, then a couple of years later 2-6 against Shrewsbury both in the 1st round. I remember a 3-1, 3rd round  defeat by Ipswich in the early 70's  all at the old New Writtle Street Stadium. I think the attendance for Ipswich was about 18,000.

The only Wembly FA cup final I have been to was Chelsea v Leeds late 60's then my Leeds friend drove me, his future brother in law and mate (who were both on York Citys books) over from York to Old Trafford for the replay. I did not have a ticket, but they were giving them away outside.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    1989 for me, which kind of set the tone for a lifetime of cup disappointment.

3rd round we scraped past Oldham who were (i think) a league below us.
    4th round we scraped past Kettering who were non-league. Remember we were in the top flight then.
    5th round we lost to West Ham.
    I didn't go to the Kettering game, but I remember there being a big thing on football focus, or whatever it was then, about them bringing 5k supporters. My old man told me that when the attendance was announced it was 10,001. So one more Addick! I'm pretty sure someone was taking the piss there!
    16,001 for the Kettering game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Very lucky to win 1-0.
    A very late Dickinson cross was put through the keeper’s legs by one of their defenders. Don’t think it even made the backing the net, just trickled over the muddy line. They should have beaten us that day, 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    away to Aston Villa, think we lost 3-2, remember paying to get in at a cheaper part of the ground and then a group of us lads with flags walked round the edge of the pitch to an expensive section, this was way before the days of fan segregation.
    or it might have been the Everton Willie Duff game
  • Options
    First FA Cup game Charlton v Arsenal 5th round 1956. Lost 0-2. Crowd 71,000. My first game aged 10. A life changing experience.

First Cup Final 1956 (on TV) Manchester City 3 v Birmingham City 1. Late in the game, Bert Trautmann, Manchester City goalkeeper, breaks neck diving at the feet of Peter Murphy, Birmingham attacker, but plays on to complete the match.
  • Options
    First FA Cup I went to, we lost 2-3 at home to QPR.
  • Options
    Wouldn't have a clue what my first FA Cup game was. But I bet we lost though

Most memorable ones would have been the trips to Wolves, Ipswich and Man United. Lost all those too!
  • Options
    Earliest memory of the FA Cup is the Chelsea 1 Spurs 2 final of '67. I wanted Chelsea to win which was the first of a hat-trick of picking the losing team: Everton v W Brom, Leicester v Man City.  My first winning choice was Chelsea the next year but only after a replay.

At the time, the coverage started about 10 in the morning and it was on both main channels.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I was watching Charlton in 1968 but cannot remember a cup game that season.  The next year, we beat Palace in a replay at Shithouse Park (including Ray Treacy thunderbolt and a Charlie Wright penalty save...), then went to Highbury to give Arsenal a good game.
    This is how I know I didn't start going until '69/70, because I only know of the Palace & Arsenal games.
    My first memories were Wolves away in 75 (John Richards hat trick).
    Sheff W at home also 75?. They took the Covered End before we arrived.
    We used to get about 5,000 at home and we had @20,000.
    Next season we had Portsmouth at home & drew 1-1 in front of about 26,000.
    We won the replay 1-3.
    No doubt the above is not totally accurate and am happy to be corrected as I can't be bothered to check.

Sheff Wed, Portsmouth - same season 3rd/4th round, remember arriving really early for the Pompey game, CE packed with Charlton, 10,000 Pompey in The South, next up was Wolves away.

They are my first CAFC memories.

Vague interest in Leeds Chelsea, 1970. Full day, round a mates with colour tv, for Liverpool Arsenal 1971 final.
    Pompey away was 3-0 but your right about the 10,000 (at least) that they brought up to the Valley. Wolves away saw the John Richards hatrick, around 5,000 Charlton on their South Bank.  Also remember Wednesday taking the Covered End, from memory the only team to have done that (in my time anyway) though others 'had a go' such as Forest & Brum amongst others.
    Yeah, I know following the 1 1, we won the replay at Pompey. The only team to take the Covered End ? Never go to a fixture v Millwall, Chelsea, Spurs or West Ham then ? (think there is a Cardiff, as well)
  • Options
    First memory 1967 final Spurs 2 (Frank Saul, Jimmy Robertson) Chelsea 1 (Bobby Tambling).
    First Charlton losing 2-3 verses QPR. Went 2-0 up before usual cup woes. Peter Reeves having Rodney Marsh in his back pocket.
    But got a nagging doubt in my mind a midweek game against Villa, won 1-0, ex Coventry hard man centre half George Curtis playing for Villa. Think it was also Phil Warmans debut.
    Hope some of the more enlightened lifers can put me right. Games were early 70's I believe.
  • Options
    My first football memory is Chelsea v Leeds FAC Final replay, April 1970. Sent to bed before the end so decided next day to support Chelsea. Took Dad a few years to correct that mistake and convert me to my (then) local team. 

Struggling to work out my first CAFC Cup match. Remember Harlow, Maidstone, of course. Must have been earlier ones.

Then there was Kettering at Selhurst. We scraped a 2-1 win. I didn’t realise in the afternoon but by the evening it turned out to be the first date with my now husband of 31 years.
  • Options
    Wasnt overly aware of Charlton games each week in 1994 (despite having been to one with my school) - But remember coming back from the library knowing we were playing Man Utd that day... So one of my earliest memories would be Peter Schmeichel getting sent off in that tie when I watched the highlights.

Their 4-0 win over Chelsea in the Final is definitely the first FA Cup Final that I remember.

First game I attended was probably a 4-2 (?) Third Round win over Nottingham Forest in the 97/98 season. 
    Bizarrely, those two are the exact same for me!