Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First FA cup experience

Comments

• Options
    First Charlton FA Cup match I went to was home to Pompey in January 1975. Drew 1-1. Inevitably, lost the replay 3-0.
    First Cup Final I remember was Liverpool Newcastle in 74.
    I think we won the replay v Portsmouth 3-0.
  • Options
    Remember drawing 0-0 at home to Portsmouth.

I backed us to win the replay 3-1 as we could score goals but always conceded....we won 3-0.
  • Options
    06 Jan 1968 Reading v Dagenham 1-1

Remember this for two reasons.
    The first was a PA announcement that a car was parked illegally, and the reg ended 999, which drew a laugh from the crowd.
    Secondly, my dad had let me fill in the pools coupon for the first time (I was 11), and I'd predicted a score draw, not knowing anything about the two clubs. After that I had to fill in the coupon most weeks.

I have no idea why we went to that particular game.
  • Options
    1989 for me, which kind of set the tone for a lifetime of cup disappointment.

3rd round we scraped past Oldham who were (i think) a league below us.
    4th round we scraped past Kettering who were non-league. Remember we were in the top flight then.
    5th round we lost to West Ham.
  • Options
    First cup final I remember clearly was 1973, Sunderland v Leeds. 
    First Charlton cup memory was 1976 v Wednesday. The away fans took the Covered End, which was the first time I'd seen that happen. 1-0 down, won 2-1 with a great goal from Paddy Powell. Knocked out in 5th round at Wolves 3-0, John Richards hat trick. 
    I was at the Wolves game - can't remember many Charlton cup games before that.

First non-Charlton I can remember was watching the '65 final between Liverpool and Leeds on a tiny black and white TV. 
  • Options
    Non Charlton would be the 1967 final between Spurs & Chelsea, great game with Spurs winning 2-1.

First Charlton experience was my dad taking me to Highfield Road to watch Coventry v Charlton, I think we lost 3-0 and there was a lot of trouble following which it was called The Battle of Highfield Road?

Cannot remember the year.
  • Options
    3-2 defeat at home to Ipswich for me with the infamous Berry foul on Gates. My Dad upgraded us to seats in the West Stand as a treat. Game is sometimes reshown on ITV hub or BT Sport on their big match re-runs. Worth watching to see Berry’s foul again!
  • Options
    Ipswich '81, birthday treat. 
  • Options
    First vague recollection of a cup final the 1970 Chelsea Leeds matches.
    First proper cup final memory of the whole day and match 1971 Arsenal Liverpool.
    First Cup final attended 1978 Arsenal v Ipswich courtesy of my Gooner old man. 
    First proper memory of a Charlton FA cup match is the 1976 Sheffield Wednesday game. I was attending the Valley regular from 1969/70 but have no memory of any of the FA cup games prior to the massives. Probably the trouble that day helped to stick it in my mind.

• Options
    West Ham 3 Charlton 0, third round of FA cup in January 1964. West Ham went on to win the cup that year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The first FA Cup game that I remember seeing is the 1970 final between Chelsea and Leeds and the replay.
    The first Charlton FA Cup game that I remember properly(there were probably others in the preceding 4/5 years but none were memorable) was the 1976 draw with Portsmouth, followed by the 3-0 replay win which my dad took me to.
    Wolves away in the 5th round was my first solo away trip, as a 13 year old! 
  • Options
    Liverpool away 1990, I was 12. We lost 2-1, collymore and Fowler scored, Kim grant with a banger for us. That's my first proper memory and almost certainly my first away FA cup match
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Earliest memory of fa cup on tv was the 1977 Man Utd v Liverpool final.
    first charlton memory in the cup was attending a game at Colchester which we somehow won 1-0.
    Scrub the Colchester being first charlton memory as I also remember the Ipswich 3-2 but thought it was after the Colchester match.
  • Options
    Watching us on tv v Harlow. My first live game was the next round at home to Bournemouth I think. A 2-1 win. 
    This game is etched in my memory. I took my Dad over to this game. We had a post-match beer and vowed to see more away games together. Sadly, he died a couple of weeks later. It's the one programme that I treasure above all others.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Liverpool away 1990, I was 12. We lost 2-1, collymore and Fowler scored, Kim grant with a banger for us. That's my first proper memory and almost certainly my first away FA cup match
    Yes was there too but it was a fair bit later than 1990. 96 at a guess.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2021
    First I remember was as an 10 year old watching Arsenal v Ipswich 1978 on the telly box

Not sure if I saw an fa cup home game before this, but remember going to Colchester early 80’s, won 1-0 I think, wooden stand collapsed in parts under our feet and there was chaos after the game on the pitch and outside 

And just bought my Havant & Waterlooville ticket
  • Options
    Ipswich away 1981. Took a few thousand up to Suffolk that afternoon 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    shine166 said:
    Yes was there too but it was a fair bit later than 1990. 96 at a guess.
    Yeah my bad, I was 6 in 90 lol.... 12 in 96 
  • Options
    Chelsea vs Wrexham 1982 ended 0-0 my dad is a Chelsea fan. He then took us a few weeks later to see them beat Liverpool 2-0.
    Turned me off Chelsea for life I needed a club without all that glory. Thank goodness I found Charlton.
  • Options
    First Charlton experience I properly remember 1986 at home to West Ham. Lost 1-0 to a Tony Cottee goal. Was on the TV I think.

Favourite experience Welling Utd away to Swansea in 1990. They lost 5-2 at the old Vetch Field, but it was a cracking day out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First Charlton experience I properly remember 1986 at home to West Ham. Lost 1-0 to a Tony Cottee goal. Was on the TV I think.

Favourite experience Welling Utd away to Swansea in 1990. They lost 5-2 at the old Vetch Field, but it was a cracking day out.
    Yes that  match was live on TV, after there had been some sort of contractual issue meaning no live footy on TV for a period. We matched that terrific West Ham team for most of the game.

But what was also notable was that Sir Johnny H quite possibly made his only error in a CAFC shirt for the winner. "A miscue by Humphrey" as the great Brian Moore commented.
  • Options
    I barely remember any Charlton fa cup games! There was one against Dagenham where John salako got a last minute equaliser, and one where there was a big fight in the away end. Remember a League cup game against Preston which stood out because it was easily the worst game I've ever seen
  • Options
    Kips said:

Yes that  match was live on TV, after there had been some sort of contractual issue meaning no live footy on TV for a period. We matched that terrific West Ham team for most of the game.

But what was also notable was that Sir Johnny H quite possibly made his only error in a CAFC shirt for the winner. "A miscue by Humphrey" as the great Brian Moore commented.
    John Motson
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    First cup final was the eeei Addio final. 1965 Liverpool v Leeds . My first Charlton Cup game was away to Coventry must have been 1966 or so. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    First I remember was as an 10 year old watching Arsenal v Ipswich 1978 on the telly box

Not sure if I saw an fa cup home game before this, but remember going to Colchester early 80’s, won 1-0 I think, wooden stand collapsed in parts under our feet and there was chaos after the game on the pitch and outside 

And just bought my Havant & Waterlooville ticket
    Your recollection of Colchester is correct. 1984 (two months before we went bust). Ludicrous own goal, the wooden terrace behind the goal did snap (nobody hurt or gave a fuck) and a bit of agg outside the ground at full-time. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Kips said:

John Motson
    My mistake, you're quite right Shirty it was Motty
  • Options
    First cup tie I was aware of was Everton v WBA final. 
    1st Charlton cup tie Crystal at home 1969 because I was dragged along to a family wedding rather than to the match! 
  • Options
    I remember the Leeds v Sunderland final 1973, as my Mums side of the family are from County Durham.
    The earliest one I can remember my Dad actually taking me to is Charlton v Portsmouth 1976.  Remember after the game the London and Dartford trains pulling in and the same time; all doors opening and DM's flying everywhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    1947 Cup final was 74 years ago. I guess there are few witnesses still around, sadly. 
  • Options
    Non-Charlton - 1999 final, 2-0 win for Man Utd, they won the treble a few days later

Charlton - the famous 2-3 at Coventry in 2000.