Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First FA cup experience

Comments

• Options
    Also for me, West Ham away in 1964. I was 11 and had been going since October 63 and had my first scarf and bobble hat knitted for me and just painted my rattle red and white. As GHF says above, firmly put in our place.

• Options
    First FA Cup memory was rushing home to see the 1976 Saints v Man U final after having got on the wrong bus outside the YMCA in Dartford.

For the young 'uns on here in those days the only live matches shown on tv were Cup Finals & Home Internationals (ask your dad) and so it was an "event" to watch a live game on a Saturday afternoon. 

First CAFC memory was probably the 80/81 cup run where we played Harlow Town & highlights were shown on tv & then playing Ipswich in the 3rd round away where Les Berry done a "Terry Butcher" & had a broken nose & blood everywhere. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    First FA Cup memory was rushing home to see the 1976 Saints v Man U final after having got on the wrong bus outside the YMCA in Dartford.

For the young 'uns on here in those days the only live matches shown on tv were Cup Finals & Home Internationals (ask your dad) and so it was an "event" to watch a live game on a Saturday afternoon. 

First CAFC memory was probably the 80/81 cup run where we played Harlow Town & highlights were shown on tv & then playing Ipswich in the 3rd round away where Les Berry done a "Terry Butcher" & had a broken nose & blood everywhere. 
    Think the Ipswich game was in the 5th round.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    1989 for me, which kind of set the tone for a lifetime of cup disappointment.

3rd round we scraped past Oldham who were (i think) a league below us.
    4th round we scraped past Kettering who were non-league. Remember we were in the top flight then.
    5th round we lost to West Ham.
    I didn't go to the Kettering game, but I remember there being a big thing on football focus, or whatever it was then, about them bringing 5k supporters. My old man told me that when the attendance was announced it was 10,001. So one more Addick! I'm pretty sure someone was taking the piss there!
  • Options
    Kips said:
    First Charlton experience I properly remember 1986 at home to West Ham. Lost 1-0 to a Tony Cottee goal. Was on the TV I think.

Favourite experience Welling Utd away to Swansea in 1990. They lost 5-2 at the old Vetch Field, but it was a cracking day out.
    Yes that  match was live on TV, after there had been some sort of contractual issue meaning no live footy on TV for a period. We matched that terrific West Ham team for most of the game.

But what was also notable was that Sir Johnny H quite possibly made his only error in a CAFC shirt for the winner. "A miscue by Humphrey" as the great Brian Moore commented.
    It was a Sunday game, I was in the half hour wait stand for that one 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I was watching Charlton in 1968 but cannot remember a cup game that season.  The next year, we beat Palace in a replay at Shithouse Park (including Ray Treacy thunderbolt and a Charlie Wright penalty save...), then went to Highbury to give Arsenal a good game.
    This is how I know I didn't start going until '69/70, because I only know of the Palace & Arsenal games.
    My first memories were Wolves away in 75 (John Richards hat trick).
    Sheff W at home also 75?. They took the Covered End before we arrived.
    We used to get about 5,000 at home and we had @20,000.
    Next season we had Portsmouth at home & drew 1-1 in front of about 26,000.
    We won the replay 1-3.
    No doubt the above is not totally accurate and am happy to be corrected as I can't be bothered to check.

• Options
    Non Charlton - Arsenal v West Ham 1980. We were on holiday for the game but friends had just invested in a video recorder so they taped it for us and we watched it when we got home.

Charlton v Watford at The Valley, January 1984. The only time I ever stood on the East Terrace.
    Me too on the East Terrace as The Covered End was full.
    22,000 odd, we lost and Mo Johnstone comes to mind.
  • Options
    Leeds / Chelsea, 1970 on the TV.  I was sworn enemies with the neighbours lad so he "supported" Leeds and I "supported" Chelsea.  We were 10.  I was a principled chap even in those days and I didn't like Leeds' reputation for foul play.
    My first FA Cup memory as well, was the Leeds v Chelsea replay at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Non Charlton Bolton v Blackpool on 12inch black & white telly my dad had just bought to watch the Coronation in 1953. Remember all my cousins coming round to watch. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Pedro45 said:
    I was watching Charlton in 1968 but cannot remember a cup game that season.  The next year, we beat Palace in a replay at Shithouse Park (including Ray Treacy thunderbolt and a Charlie Wright penalty save...), then went to Highbury to give Arsenal a good game.
    This is how I know I didn't start going until '69/70, because I only know of the Palace & Arsenal games.
    We won the replay 1-3.
    No doubt the above is not totally accurate and am happy to be corrected as I can't be bothered to check.

Sheff Wed, Portsmouth - same season 3rd/4th round, remember arriving really early for the Pompey game, CE packed with Charlton, 10,000 Pompey in The South, next up was Wolves away.

They are my first CAFC memories.

Vague interest in Leeds Chelsea, 1970. Full day, round a mates with colour tv, for Liverpool Arsenal 1971 final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Non Charlton
    Chelski 4 Brighton 0 4th rd replay 54000 inside 000's locked out

First Charlton -Palarse in 69

Worst (there's been a few)Either Sheff Utd or Bolton both away in Qtr Finals

Best -Coventry away winning 3-2 after being 2-0 down.
    We had a great team that season 1999-2000
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Not the FA Cup but the Amateur FA Cup. I remember Slough playing Skelmersdale in the latter stages of the competition in the mid 60s. Slough were away and I went to the Dolphin to see Slough reserves play on the same day - a Saturday - and there was a commentary being played on the PA system from someone phoning it through from there. By a sports reporter on the Slough Observer or Express. There was huge interest in this and I remember there was a fairly good crowd there.
    For the life of me I can’t remember the result. Which probably means Slough lost. I do remember no one was much interested in the reserves game though.

I checked, Slough lost 1-0 and it was the quarter final.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited October 2021
    Favourite Charlton FA cup games were the two Bristol ties, first real terracing FA Cup experience at Ashton Gate. 

• Options
    Non Charlton - Arsenal v West Ham 1980. We were on holiday for the game but friends had just invested in a video recorder so they taped it for us and we watched it when we got home.

Charlton v Watford at The Valley, January 1984. The only time I ever stood on the East Terrace.
    Me too on the East Terrace as The Covered End was full.
    22,000 odd, we lost and Mo Johnstone comes to mind.
    Thought I'd look for a picture of the game as I have seen one with the East Terrace in the background, but came across this instead, a 2-1 home win v Birmingham...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKRhHKdrieM
  • Options

4th round we scraped past Kettering who were non-league. Remember we were in the top flight then.
    I remember the Kettering match.

Walking up to Sellout Park all I could see were away coaches with numbers in the hundreds.

My main memory of the match was that Kettering made great play of the fact they were bringing 8,000 fans so it seemed rather suspicious that the official attendance was 16,001 meaning we had the majority of fans albeit by 1 (who was probably a neutral who'd wandered in from Sainsbury's and couldn't give a toss).
  • Options

Walking up to Sellout Park all I could see were away coaches with numbers in the hundreds.

My main memory of the match was that Kettering made great play of the fact they were bringing 8,000 fans so it seemed rather suspicious that the official attendance was 16,001 meaning we had the majority of fans albeit by 1 (who was probably a neutral who'd wandered in from Sainsbury's and couldn't give a toss).
    That was the only 'home' game I ever attended at that shithole, group of us from work had an all dayer on it - took in the game I suppose because of the opening hours then.
  • Options

That was a weird day, Kettering has
    d s lot of in fighting between two groups from the same town.
    5-10 minutes into the game a group of about 20-30 Kettering came into the Arthur Waite only to be met by a hail of abuse from another group of seated Kettering fans behind us, urging us to steam into them etc 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    First Charlton FA Cup memory for me was v Everton January 1959 2-2 Willie Duff keeper sent of for chinning Dave Hickson who had been niggling him at corners all game. Willie decided enough was enough and Hickson went down like a sack of spuds. Before the ref could give him his marching orders his green shirt was already off and on the deck presumably for Hewie to don but I can’t remember. We lost the replay 4-1 at Goodison.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    We won the replay 1-3.

Great memories those CE, I was at all those games, the two against Pompey were great, especially the win away.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    We won the replay 1-3.

Sheff Wed, Portsmouth - same season 3rd/4th round, remember arriving really early for the Pompey game, CE packed with Charlton, 10,000 Pompey in The South, next up was Wolves away.

They are my first CAFC memories.

Vague interest in Leeds Chelsea, 1970. Full day, round a mates with colour tv, for Liverpool Arsenal 1971 final.
    That’s right, same season. The home Pompey game was the Big Match feature game I think. Wednesday filled the covered end and emptied it it with about fifteen minutes to go when it was clear they were going to lose. Wolves away was my first away game. My only memory of it is that Killer hit the bar. According to 11 v 11, we’ve played Wednesday four times in the cup and won every game. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    The next Cup game of significance I can remember was at White Hart Lane 3rd round 1961 narrowly losing 3-2 to the Spurs eventual double winning side that season. Went with my Dad, Uncle and cousin and my feet never seemed to touch the ground on the way back to the station so big and packed was the crowd.
  • Options
    My first  CAFC FA Cup memory is not being able to go to the game so my sister went instead - and we lost 2-1. I think to Woking or Barnet. Not sure which. It was at Selhurst in 86 or 87. 

First FA Cup awareness was Coventry beating Spurs. 
  • Options
    The first final I can remember watching was Utd v Liverpool in 1977. My first Charlton game should have been the Ipswich one in ‘83 but I had my appendix out a couple of weeks beforehand and wasn’t allowed to go. Went to the Colchester away tie the following year that we won 1 0.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I went to our FA Cup replay against Spurs in 1985, but I don't remember a lot about it apart from there being loads more people there than I was expecting. First FA cup final I watched on the TV was West Ham winning in 1980, but it doesn't stick in the memory as well as the Spurs win in 1981 with the mazy Ricky Villa run and goal.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    I'm pretty sure I went to our FA Cup replay against Spurs in 1985, but I don't remember a lot about it apart from there being loads more people there than I was expecting. First FA cup final I watched on the TV was West Ham winning in 1980, but it doesn't stick in the memory as well as the Spurs win in 1981 with the mazy Ricky Villa run and goal.

The ‘81 Cup Final is my first memory of the FA Cup. I spent my formative years in Canada so ice hockey was my thing so it took me a while to fall in love with football after we moved back to England in ‘79. I vaguely remember watching the West Ham/ Arsenal final but the Spurs/Man city final (and replay) was the one I remember consciously making an effort to watch. 
    As for Charlton the first time I went to an FA Cup game was away at Leeds in January ‘93. Nelse putting us ahead and running over to celebrate with the fans stuck in the corner. Conceding an equaliser and having Minto secure us a replay by blocking a certain winner for them as he lay injured on the goal line. It was foggy as hell in West Yorkshire that day and I remember struggling to see the far side of the pitch in the second half.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

The ‘81 Cup Final is my first memory of the FA Cup. I spent my formative years in Canada so ice hockey was my thing so it took me a while to fall in love with football after we moved back to England in ‘79. I vaguely remember watching the West Ham/ Arsenal final but the Spurs/Man city final (and replay) was the one I remember consciously making an effort to watch. 
    As for Charlton the first time I went to an FA Cup game was away at Leeds in January ‘93. Nelse putting us ahead and running over to celebrate with the fans stuck in the corner. Conceding an equaliser and having Minto secure us a replay by blocking a certain winner for them as he lay injured on the goal line. It was foggy as hell in West Yorkshire that day and I remember struggling to see the far side of the pitch in the second half.
    My mate drove up there, it was so foggy on the M1 back he was terrified of being hit by a lorry as a fairly new driver, we got off at Wakefield and stayed the night in a b&b we found, run by a guy who used to live in Charlton. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    My first  CAFC FA Cup memory is not being able to go to the game so my sister went instead - and we lost 2-1. I think to Woking or Barnet. Not sure which. It was at Selhurst in 86 or 87. 

Think its Walsall rather than Woking/Barnet
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

Think its Walsall rather than Woking/Barnet
    Thanks, was hoping someone would get that for me! 
  • Options
    remember going to Harlow away 
    A bit of bover in a kind of modern bar, grassy bank and we won 2-0.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Ipswich away 1981. Took a few thousand up to Suffolk that afternoon 
    LOL...Just a few.