Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leyton Orient vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 9th November 2021, 7pm | Match Preview

Date: 9th November 2021, 7pm k/o
Competition: Papa John's Trophy Southern Group G
Opposition: Leyton Orient (2nd)

Introduction

Much like a fringe player of the squad, I've been given the match preview equivalent of a run out in cup games, while Sage and ForeverAddickted put their feet up and think about Saturday's trip to Burton. Should we get an exciting cup tie, or take the Papa John's seriously enough to make the final at Wembley, then the first teamers will be banging on the gaffer's door and will be straight back in. I'll be back to the training ground working on my layouts and syntax.

Both teams have already qualified, so this game will settle who wins the group. Group Winners play a Runner Up from another Southern Group. A draw after 90 minutes will result in a penalty shootout for a bonus point, so our superior goal difference counts for nothing.

The Opposition

Managed by Kenny Jackett, Leyton Orient currently occupy a playoff place in League Two taking 23 points from their 15 games so far. They also edged out Ebbsfleet 1-0 on Saturday to secure passage into the second round of the FA Cup. I don't know a lot about their team, except ex Charlton fan favourite Darren Pratley is an ever present in the league for them this season, and ex CAFC loanee Paul Smyth is also there after signing in the summer. Neither have featured so far in the PJT.

Team News

To avoid a "fine of up to £5000", we must name 4 qualifying players from the outfield 10 who fit the following criteria:

- Started the last league game, or will start the next league game.
- Is in the list of the top 10 starting appearance makers in the squad for 1st team games. 
- Have made 40 or more starting appearances in first team fixtures (not necessarily for Charlton) 
- Is on loan from a Premier League club or Cat 1 academy.

I've done some calculations and guess the four would be from: Pearce, Famewo, Souare, Clare, Dobson, Watson, Gilbey, Lee, Purrington, Jaiyesimi, Stockley, and Morgan.

I expect Harness to keep his PJT place in goal after a good performance against Southampton U21s. 

Our lack of defensive options will probably see Clare and Elerewe play in the back 3, along with Pearce who was rested yesterday. Clayden will probably be asked to play as left wing back. Blackett Taylor played a full 90 on Saturday, and with Jaiyesimi likely to start there at the weekend, there's a chance of an under 23 on the right; Johl Powell maybe.

In midfield, I'd expect Watson to start in the holding role, with another chance for Morgan and Kirk ahead of him. We could also see Ben Dempsey or Aaron Henry come into the midfield 3.

Up top, I'd expect Josh Davison to get the nod, and a full debut for Mason Burstow, following the youngster's goal in the FA Cup. Wassim Aouachria played an hour for under 23s last week so could get some minutes, especially with Davison likely to start Saturday.

My predicted team, assuming Jackson continues with his 3-5-2 (bold for qualifying players):

Harness

Clare      Elerewe      Pearce
Powell                                    Clayden
                     Watson
           Kirk                Morgan

Davison          Burstow

Prediction

2-0 to the Addicks, and a dream tie of MK Dons away in the next round.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021

Nice and clear. Thanks
  • Options
    Can we play an illegal player and get kicked out of the competition please .
    .. and concentrate on promotion?!
  • Options
    Nice one Ben thanks
  • Options
    First team standard preview.  Concise, some useful facts, engaging conjecture and a little humour in a highly effective midfield diamond.

Imagine a competiton so dire that you can be fined for not bothering to put your best team out. 
  • Options
    Well done Ben. Looking forward to more of these pre match threads from yourself 👍 
  • Options
    We have a big squad by Charlton standards in recent years and it's means we don't  have to play friendly behind close doors to give players a game. 

After watching Davidson, CBT and Dobson in an earlier round on Charlton TV I realised they all had talent, whether from the bench or in Dobson's case starting as the defensive cover because he is quicker than Watson, despite Ben being decent once he gets to the ball, which can take a while !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can we not just tear up Sage and Forever Addickted's contracts (over paid Prima Donnas that they are) and give youth prospects like Ben18 (great name BTW) a chance? 😂

I was hoping that the FA Cup counted as the last first team game but if it is league games only then the team seems right other than I'd try to find some way to rest Pearce again.

Kenny Jacket is showing again what a good manager he is but I doubt if Orient will be putting out their first XI either.

2 - 2 draw and we win on pens.
  • Options
    I expect Davison to count as one of the four as guessing he'll play Saturday with Conor on international duty. 
  • Options
    Good job Ben18
  • Options
    Think we will see Famewo over Pearce again. Wouldn’t be surprised if he rested at some point in the match. 

Once again no injuries and some confidence for squad players and I will be pleased.
  • Options
    Great first Preview of I'm sure that'll be many Ben... Welcome aboard
  • Options
    well done Ben a great preview
  • Options
    Got a lot of time for KJ despite his connection with them, but he is a good guy and knows how to send his sides out, however it doesn't really matter does it so could be a fun night for the travelling masses 3-3.
  • Options
    Well done Ben. Effortlessly slotting in for your debut. When we play Manchester City in the 6th round of the FA Cup, you've given the (Charlton Life) manager something to think about.

• Options
    Cheers Ben, much better than those other two blokes 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No idea about the team but going on past form I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of our uncontracted academy players given a chance to impress the visiting scouts.
  • Options
    No idea about the team but going on past form I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of our uncontracted academy players given a chance to impress the visiting scouts.

Below the belt Mr Claus.
    Cafc are trying not to give gifts anymore Santa, after Joe Aribo was a present for Glasgow Rangers despite being a 1st team player.
  • Options
    Turns out I'll be in London tomorrow for a work commitment so thinking about heading along to the game if I have time.

Anyone know if tickets can be bought on the day at the ground?
  • Options
    Davey said:
    Turns out I'll be in London tomorrow for a work commitment so thinking about heading along to the game if I have time.

Sold out.
    haha, oh well, that answers that one pretty categorically.  Cheers.
  • Options
    Davey said:
    Davey said:

Sold out.
    I've seen tickets going for £500 on stubhub
  • Options
    Davey said:
    Davey said:

Sold out.
    I've seen tickets going for £500 on stubhub
    Viagogo a bargain @ £450
  • Options
    £10 for the stream feels a bit on the pricey side.
  • Options
    Depends, does it come with fishing rights  B)
  • Options
    Depends, does it come with fishing rights  B)
    Next you'll be asking for the Droit de Seigneur...