Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    Just watched the BBC highlights. A basic 30 minutes programme, but thankfully with the TMS commentators, so much better than the awful Aussie ones

Will have to sync up the TMS commentary to the TV pictures in future
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I would back myself to squirrel that away for at least 2 runs even if I had to bat left handed to mimic Burns

But would back yourself to do so for the first ball of an Ashes Series each and every time. It's not that ball but that ball in that situation.

Burns has probably been telling himself for the last week "get in line, get in line, get in line" fully expecting a ball on and outside off stump. Why would he expect a leg stump half volley after all? What he did do was over compensate and to leave his off peg exposed but also fell over in doing so which is why he missed the ball too. 

As I say it is the pressure of the situation. How many times do we think Harmy bowled before or after that infamous opening Ashes ball? How many times have we seen penalties diabolically taken or three feet putts missed in match winning situations? The difference here is that Burns, in facing ball at 90mph plus, had 0.4 seconds to make the correct decision. It was the nerves that exaggerate his movement that forced him to go too far. And a ball that Starc probably never intended to bowl in the first place. Why give a freebie like that first ball?

I have a confession to make here. A few years ago I would have been at the head of the queue to blame Burns. I would still say he is at fault and not offer any excuse whatsoever for his incompetence. Ironically, yesterday morning I watched a live stream of Seb batting in a 1st Grade T20 match. He was facing a left arm opening bowler who was, effectively, doing the same thing as Starc but bringing the ball into Seb as he is right handed. He'd just cut a wide ball but the very next delivery he tried to repeat the shot to a ball that was much closer to him and ended up chopping on.

We exchanged messages after the game and I asked Seb the obvious question - why did he play that shot? He said it was a "panic dab" because he had set himself for a totally different delivery. He will, hopefully, learn from it. But the point is that one bit of poor judgement from a batsman to a ball will, inevitably, result in just one thing. Harmison had the opportunity in the innings that he delivered that ball to correct the situation. After all, the wide only cost a run not a wicket. The only similarity is that it was the first delivery of an Ashes series and set a marker.

We also shouldn't underestimate the effect of a lack of adequate preparation as these are different tracks to what we play on at home. There is more bounce for a start. The bowlers are much, much better too. Whether Burns is a good opening Test batsman is another question. That's his job after all. But I wouldn't hang him on that one dismissal.

Root, in electing to bowl, had days to come to the right decision. And he didn't which is why, in electing to bat, he has handed the initiative to Australia . And one thing is for sure. I would have a better chance of deciding on whether to put Australia in than I would have had of facing that ball from Starc!   

• Options

May well lose the whole afternoon's play.
  • Options

I'll be asleep then so don't care  :D
  • Options

I'll be asleep then so don't care  :D
    I'd like to think I'll be asleep and not care, but I won't fall asleep straightaway and will keep checking the score. And sighing! 
  • Options
    Is it an earlier start tonight because of the time lost on Day 1?
  • Options
    Doing a rain dance in front of the tele...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Is it an earlier start tonight because of the time lost on Day 1?
    30 mins earlier. Play due to start in an hour's time.
  • Options
    Unlike yesterday, the sun has come out - great!!!
  • Options
    Good start for Robinson. Accurate and threatening
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Broad from around the wicket is how you get Warner out.

So we leave Broad out and bowl over the wicket
  • Options
    10-1.

Harris edges Robinson into the slips.
  • Options
    Yes!!!

Well bowled Karl
  • Options
    One down ! 

Might stay up a bit longer....
  • Options
    Robinson snaffles Harris. Let's pretend it's game on lime donkey kong
  • Options
    Stokes is back!!!!
  • Options
    That is criminal
  • Options
    Stokes bowls Warner but it's a no ball...........
  • Options
    Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhj
  • Options
    Stokes makes an immediate impact  & Warner goes......

But it's a no ball.

Well done chaps. All you need to do is keep your foot behind the line. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why? Really? Why? When you know how hard it is to get Test wickets do you push your run up to the limit. You know that the effort ball is going to take you over the line so why not give you another six inches?
  • Options
    Warner to get a big score now.
  • Options
    To be fair he's not bowled in a game for 6 months?
  • Options
    Woakes gets an edge from Labuschagne but it drops inches short of first slip.
  • Options
    FFS, just not getting the breaks. 2 edges in 2 overs not going to hand
  • Options
    This is absolute peak England in Aus. Get skittled, bowl almost perfectly, edges fall short, Aus get through it. Aus finish the day with a mammoth lead. 
  • Options
    FFS, just not getting the breaks. 2 edges in 2 overs not going to hand
    Stand a bit closer then. First wicket was a pretty low catch & so perhaps not flying through as much as they think. 
  • Options
    Could be looking at 31-3 here but a no ball and an edge that doesn't quite carry and it's 34-1. The joys of following England.
  • Options
    Could be looking at 31-3 here but a no ball and an edge that doesn't quite carry and it's 34-1. The joys of following England.

We haven't had the full set yet - no drops so far!
  • Options

We haven't had the full set yet - no drops so far!
    Or an injury.