Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Not Ashes related but wonder if any lifers can help me. I am planning to go to Antigua & Barbados in March for the 1st & 2nd tests. With regards to tickets to match do you just buy them on the gate or do you buy them in advance? Cheers!
    In recent times, crowds for both venues have increased significantly, due to British tourists taking cricket holidays in both venues. Historically, the Barbados test was always busy, and with c10,000 brits on the island for most test series since 1994, games did quickly sell out well in advance. I'm not sure if the capacity has gone up since the World Cup revamp of the ground, but I would strongly suggest buying in advance if you can.  

Similarly, Antigua always has a strong following, but until (or unless) Brian Lara started to break records there, crowds were much smaller and you could easily get access on the day. Since moving from the ARG though, I don't know what the capacity is for the new Viv Richards Stadium, but again, I suggest buying in advance if you can.

With Covid restrictions relaxing globally, a lot of people seem to be planning on going the the WI for these games, so expect them to be busy.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Not Ashes related but wonder if any lifers can help me. I am planning to go to Antigua & Barbados in March for the 1st & 2nd tests. With regards to tickets to match do you just buy them on the gate or do you buy them in advance? Cheers!
    In recent times, crowds for both venues have increased significantly, due to British tourists taking cricket holidays in both venues. Historically, the Barbados test was always busy, and with c10,000 brits on the island for most test series since 1994, games did quickly sell out well in advance. I'm not sure if the capacity has gone up since the World Cup revamp of the ground, but I would strongly suggest buying in advance if you can.  

Similarly, Antigua always has a strong following, but until (or unless) Brian Lara started to break records there, crowds were much smaller and you could easily get access on the day. Since moving from the ARG though, I don't know what the capacity is for the new Viv Richards Stadium, but again, I suggest buying in advance if you can.

With Covid restrictions relaxing globally, a lot of people seem to be planning on going the the WI for these games, so expect them to be busy.
    Thanks @Pedro45
  • Not Ashes related but wonder if any lifers can help me. I am planning to go to Antigua & Barbados in March for the 1st & 2nd tests. With regards to tickets to match do you just buy them on the gate or do you buy them in advance? Cheers!
    I bought tickets for Barbados test 2019 online here , for every day and it wasn’t too busy at the ground , prolly could buy on the day but I wouldn’t chance it … definitely not sold out 
    Best place to buy is upperstand behind bowlers arm other side from pavilion (Hewitt & Inniss stand )
    shaded and a decent view up there X marks the spot …
    it’s an old stand but there’s a bar and toilets up there that I didn’t find out till a couple of days in when I kept trekking up and down a load of stairs !

• Thanks chaps!
  • MrOneLung said:
    my wife's brother and family went to Antigua for the 2009 test (the one that was abandoned then played at another ground two days later) and met up with a family friend who lived in USA

they had standard tickets for every day, but their friend had some laminated lanyards that he had made up himself , that were basically just the Windies and ECB logos, with the dates of the test and VIP - ACCESS ALL AREAS written on it. 

they just walked around the ground, showed their passes to the man on the gate to the main pavilion area and sat with the players families and VIP dignitaries for whole test. 
    Brilliant!
  • MrOneLung said:
    my wife's brother and family went to Antigua for the 2009 test (the one that was abandoned then played at another ground two days later) and met up with a family friend who lived in USA

they had standard tickets for every day, but their friend had some laminated lanyards that he had made up himself , that were basically just the Windies and ECB logos, with the dates of the test and VIP - ACCESS ALL AREAS written on it. 

they just walked around the ground, showed their passes to the man on the gate to the main pavilion area and sat with the players families and VIP dignitaries for whole test. 
    I think they might smell a rat when i'm wandering around the VIP area in just my Budgy Smugglers  :D
  • Quick tip. Get a VPN and watch on Australian TV for free. Channel 9? I did this for the Australian Open tennis. They have a pretty good player and don’t seem too hot on geoblocking.
  • edited November 2021
    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/australian-test-cricket-captain-tim-paine-engulfed-in-sexting-scandal/news-story/c58651952221df06b518518335b475ce

Test captain Tim Paine has been investigated by Cricket Australia for sending a female co-worker a “dick pic” and string of lewd messages. It is expected he will announce his resignation from cricket’s top job at 2.30pm.

The wicketkeeper, who was promoted to the captaincy and lauded as the saviour of Australian cricket following the ball tampering scandal in South Africa, was questioned about the messages.

The full details of the messages, which were sent by Paine on the eve and morning of the first Ashes Test at the Gabba in 2017, have only recently surfaced. Some of the messages are too explicit to publish in full, however the exchange included Paine suggesting to the woman: “Will you want to taste my *** ?? F*** me, I’m seriously hard.”

In correspondence with cricket authorities in June 2018, the woman claimed she was offended by “Mr Paine’s sexually explicit, unwelcome and unsolicited photograph of his genitals in addition to the graphic sexual comments”.

It is understood Cricket Australia became aware of the messages after Paine, 36, was given the captaincy in March 2018, which is often referred to as the second biggest job in Australia outside the Prime Minister.

The messages, sent to the woman whom the Herald Sun has chosen not to name for legal reasons, included what was described in correspondence as a “dick pic”.

The woman was at the time a Cricket Tasmania employee, with whom Paine had interacted with while he was playing state cricket.

The woman has sent letters of complaint to Cricket Australia and Cricket Tasmania about the texts, which she received shortly before she resigned in 2017.

Paine was appointed the 46th Australian Test captain in March 2018 - four months after he sent the messages.

He took on the job from Steve Smith who stepped down for his part in the ball tampering scandal in South Africa, along with then vice-captain David Warner and batsman Cameron Bancroft.

Paine’s lewd messages were sent to the woman on November 22 and 23, 2017 - the eve and morning of his return to the Australian Test team after seven years out of the side.

He and the woman had exchanged dozens of texts throughout that year.

But the correspondence became increasingly flirtatious between the woman and Paine, who has been married since 2016.

On November 22, 2017, after the woman joked about “partying like a rockstar”, Paine texted: “I like good girl (name removed). But this other one sounds interesting.”

“When I’m good I’m good. When I am bad I am brilliant,” she added, prompting Paine to ask: “Brilliantly bad??”

The following morning, just hours before Paine was due to take the field against England, the woman texted: “I will think naughty thoughts about you whilst we watch the TV.”

“I’m cracking! Ha ha. Naughty thoughts like what? I’m about to give something firm a pull…,” Paine responded.

The woman texted him back saying: “Ha, sorry I’m getting ready for work … it’s a big day for us kids.”

Then Paine texted: “Will you want to taste my ***?? F*** me, I’m seriously hard.”

In apparent reference to Paine’s wicket keeping duties later that day, the woman wrote in response: “I thought we were resting hands.”

Paine responded: “Can’t rest them when I’m this hard!! Need to ease the tension … Finish me off with those lips then (name deleted)”.

The text ended with a wink-face emoji.

Paine then sent what is described in correspondence as an unsolicited “dick pic”, before asking the woman: “Finish me off right now!!!”

The woman has claimed she was taken aback and found it offensive.

It’s understood complaints were made to the Australian Human Rights Commission regarding alleged sexual harassment in relation to the exchange.

Cricket Australia and Paine’s manager James Henderson were contacted for comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• They reckon Cummins is favourite but wouldn’t be surprised that Smith gets it back
  • Terrible news.. for England. Looks like smith finally fancies the top job. 
  • Absolutely hilarious story - especially as Cricket Australia KNEW about this before they appointed Paine as captain as a "cleanskin" to replace Smith.

Even worse, I have been told by an impeccable source today that ALL the Aussie cricket media knew about this but sweetheart deals were done by Paine and CA to hush it up, including 'exclusive' interviews and book deals for the key reporters.

Say what you like about the English tabloids but there is NO WAY they'd agree to that and someone would have done the story years ago.

Cummins will be skipper and Carey probably the new keeper - they are stronger for not having Paine in the side.

• Absolutely hilarious story - especially as Cricket Australia KNEW about this before they appointed Paine as captain as a "cleanskin" to replace Smith.

Even worse, I have been told by an impeccable source today that ALL the Aussie cricket media knew about this but sweetheart deals were done by Paine and CA to hush it up, including 'exclusive' interviews and book deals for the key reporters.

Say what you like about the English tabloids but there is NO WAY they'd agree to that and someone would have done the story years ago.

Cummins will be skipper and Carey probably the new keeper - they are stronger for not having Paine in the side.

Is Cummins guaranteed to play every game though? He has had his injury issues and I would have thought at some point he will need to miss a Test.

I would have thought Labushagne to be the best option. Certain of his place and almost guaranteed to be there for a good few years
  • Just love who is now going to be captain.......

CUMmins

You couldn't make it up...😂😂😂
  • Can't stand Paine. Also what type of idiocy causes a married man to send pictures if their willy to anyone. The fool.

That's the thing - yes it's funny, but he's a very average keeper and an idiot, I agree it may well work in their favour rather than ours.
  • Just love who is now going to be captain.......

CUMmins

You couldn't make it up...😂😂😂
    Nickname 'Cider'
  • Sponsored links:

• How long will it be before someone pops up and blames the debacle of Australian captaincy, sexting, blackmail, theft accusation, book deals, exclusive interviews, wicket keeping selection and the whole, embarrassing, humiliating and hilarious set of circumstances on the ECB? 
  • Chizz said:
    How long will it be before someone pops up and blames the debacle of Australian captaincy, sexting, blackmail, theft accusation, book deals, exclusive interviews, wicket keeping selection and the whole, embarrassing, humiliating and hilarious set of circumstances on the ECB? 
    The ECB are capable, as they have readily proven, of gross indecency e.g. The Hundred, the granting of £2m worth of bonuses in the same breath as making 62 people redundant, the blind eye to racism and much, much more. That hasn't stretched as far as Australia as far as I'm aware but, should Harrison's next job be down under, I'm sure it won't be long before it does.
  • Stokes back in the squad.  Good to see him revitalised after his issues but can he seriously be “match ready”?  Knowing Stokes,  he’ll come out and play a stormer. Can’t see him being selected just to warm the bench. He is an exceptional talent but it does to some extent go to show that once selected for the test side, it’s a guaranteed number unless you screw up really badly.  
  • Chizz said:
    How long will it be before someone pops up and blames the debacle of Australian captaincy, sexting, blackmail, theft accusation, book deals, exclusive interviews, wicket keeping selection and the whole, embarrassing, humiliating and hilarious set of circumstances on the ECB? 
    The ECB are capable, as they have readily proven, of gross indecency e.g. The Hundred, the granting of £2m worth of bonuses in the same breath as making 62 people redundant, the blind eye to racism and much, much more. That hasn't stretched as far as Australia as far as I'm aware but, should Harrison's next job be down under, I'm sure it won't be long before it does.
    As if by magic! 

:) 
  • Stokes back in the squad.  Good to see him revitalised after his issues but can he seriously be “match ready”?  Knowing Stokes,  he’ll come out and play a stormer. Can’t see him being selected just to warm the bench. He is an exceptional talent but it does to some extent go to show that once selected for the test side, it’s a guaranteed number unless you screw up really badly.  
    He will play every Test, unless unfit. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    As if by magic! 

:) 
    But then that is your "modus operandi". And it's not even subtle!
  • Yesterday Alex Carey hit 155 for Glenlg against Northern Districts in a game that went the whole way. Jas Singh of Kent returned very commendable figures for ND of 13-5-32-2 whereas on the winning side with Carey was another member of the DLCA, Josh Croom, who plays for Wiltshire and Hants 2s. Croom played a vital part in taking Glenlg home by just one wicket with 13 not out. 

That innings by Carey has put him in the frame to take the gloves from Paine.  Although facing messrs Anderson, Robinson, Broad etc might be more of a challenge.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59386203

Ashes: Haseeb Hameed impresses for England on first day of warm-up match

• edited November 2021
    Good confidence building for Hameed but I think facing England Lions in a warm-up is going to be a breeze compared to Cummins and Hazlewood at the Gabba...

England batting line-up for this warm-up game is: Hameed, Burns, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Foakes... with T20 WC players to join in the next warm-up game after their quarantine period ends.
  • Good confidence building for Hameed but I think facing England Lions in a warm-up is going to be a breeze compared to Cummins and Hazlewood at the Gabba...

England batting line-up for this warm-up game is: Hameed, Burns, Crawley, Root, Stokes, Pope, Foakes... with T20 WC players to join in the next warm-up game after their quarantine period ends.
    We might see two wicket-keeper batsmen will be drafted in from the T20 squad to replace the two wicket-keeper batsmen in the warm-up team.