Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    They're still picking Starc in Tests? Nonsense, they have so much better in reserve 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The authorities in WA tried one last ditch attempt to get the venues for the second and fifth Tests swapped as there are no restrictions travelling from Queensland to WA currently.

But South Australia quickly shut that idea down and so Perth loses their Test match this time around.

Hobart are is most likely option, with Melbourne lined up for a second Test as a fallback option.
  • Options
    The authorities in WA tried one last ditch attempt to get the venues for the second and fifth Tests swapped as there are no restrictions travelling from Queensland to WA currently.

But South Australia quickly shut that idea down and so Perth loses their Test match this time around.

Hobart are most likely option, with Melbourne lined up for a second Test as a fallback option.
    Hobart tends to have a similar climate to the uk, so might suit us. 
  • Options
    That reminds me - need to get my BT Sport subscription sorted. One of the kids has his phone with EE so I can get it for £20pm. Will sign up tonight or tomorrow. May just do 1 month- depends if we have lost the series come Jan 6th. 
  • Options

Hobart are most likely option, with Melbourne lined up for a second Test as a fallback option.
    Hobart tends to have a similar climate to the uk, so might suit us. 
    You mean it'll be rained off?
  • Options
    That reminds me - need to get my BT Sport subscription sorted. One of the kids has his phone with EE so I can get it for £20pm. Will sign up tonight or tomorrow. May just do 1 month- depends if we have lost the series come Jan 6th. 
    Ditto, golfie.
  • Options
    If nothing else, Jimmy's experience will be a massive miss. I think you have to go with Wood, Broad and Woakes in that situation don't you? Is Robinson definitely a better option than Broad these days?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The timing for the first Test is almost perfect for myself out here in the States. 7pm start each day, ending at 2am ish. Likewise with the third and fourth Test. Will likely watch the first two sessions each day and catch the 30 overs after tea the next morning. :-)

Unfortunately the D/N Test in Adelaide is an 11pm start running through to about 6am...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Feels a big miss with the Gabba pitch looking like this 2 days out:

I'm guessing they want Woakes in for the batting as much as anything to avoid Robinson, Wood, Leach, Broad and too long a tail.

I'd say Robinson is in credit, and Wood has the pace so as Dobell says Broad or Leach will miss out - can see It being Leach in the first Test given it doesn't look like a Turner and Root a) doesn't seem to rate Leach and b) backs himself as a spin option on occasion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't know this. I'm with EE so will be doing this. Thanks
  • Options
    England look so undercooked going into this match
  • Options
    Picking bowlers for this one is so tough (even with Archer an Stone misding). Jimmy is so experienced and actually God decent figures fir the last tour in 2017. Broadly has Warner in his pocket and that psychological edge could be key with a weaker opener at the other end. Robinson has been incredible since coming in and has been likened to Mcgrath which for me us enough to pick him every game. Wood is your point of difference but needs managing even more than the rest. Woakes is Mr reliable with bat and ball and the last tour of SA he did lots of work with Gough who said he had finally worked out how to bowl abroad including finding an extra bit of pace. 

The combination I would pick changes on an hourly basis. Not a clue.

Also. Pope ahead of Bairstow pls. He will love these pitches...
  • Options
    Picking bowlers for this one is so tough (even with Archer an Stone misding). Jimmy is so experienced and actually God decent figures fir the last tour in 2017. Broadly has Warner in his pocket and that psychological edge could be key with a weaker opener at the other end. Robinson has been incredible since coming in and has been likened to Mcgrath which for me us enough to pick him every game. Wood is your point of difference but needs managing even more than the rest. Woakes is Mr reliable with bat and ball and the last tour of SA he did lots of work with Gough who said he had finally worked out how to bowl abroad including finding an extra bit of pace. 

Yep whereas YJB would get bowled for about 17 most innings.
  • Options

Yep whereas YJB would get bowled for about 17 most innings.
    After hitting three flowing cover drives Aggers then states he looks in good nick followed by him missing a straight one. 
  • Options
    England look so undercooked going into this match
    And Australia 
  • Options
    Jimmy will always be a big miss. Also worried this might be his last tour, injuries are starting to pile up for him. 

Really rate Robinson - he seems to love a fight as well which we’re going to need down under. As you say, difficult to say who will miss out, you have to play broad as that’s a guaranteed wicket of Warner. Wood always seems to do really well abroad. Difficult to say. 
  • Options
    Jimmy will always be a big miss. Also worried this might be his last tour, injuries are starting to pile up for him. 

Really rate Robinson - he seems to love a fight as well which we’re going to need down under. As you say, difficult to say who will miss out, you have to play broad as that’s a guaranteed wicket of Warner. Wood always seems to do really well abroad. Difficult to say. 
    Anderson isn’t injured, I don’t believe. 

I think they will leave the spinner out and play all 5 seamers 
  • Options
    Squad for the first game:

Joe Root (capt), Rory Burns, Haseeb Hameed, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Jos Buttler (wkt), Chris Woakes, Ollie Robinson, Mark Wood, Jack Leach, Stuart Broad. 

Looks like they’ve listened to us and put Pope ahead of bairstow 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok good to know! Thought he had been ruled out because of injury 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Rested ????

They haven't even played a full warm up match yet. Ye gods  !!!

Sounds like leaving your best striker on the bench & bringing him on when you are 1-0 down.
  • Options
    There may also be a question about Stokes fitness/readiness for this one after such a long break. Woakes could always bat 7 in that situation. Although Stokes just adds something to the side and is one of only 2 mbers of this squad to have a rest century down under. Malan being the other.

I'm sceptical of going in to a test in Aus without a spinner. In the heat and conditions you need someone who can hold up an end at go at under 3 an over. Doesn't actually matter if they take wickets or not. Leach plays if it's down to me 
  • Options
    I guess they want him fit as they can for the day/nighters but seems odd?
  • Options
    Australian but quite good

• Options
    Predictions?  I'm going 3-1 Australia (and I'll be honest that I nearly said 4 or 5-0).
  • Options
    3-1 here as well 
  • Options
    It's gonna go one of 2 ways. We either show a decent amount of fight manage to win the day night test and take advantage of the predicted poor weather to grind out a couple of draws. Lose 2-1 

Or

We capitulate early lose all fight and just roll over and let them have their way with us. Can't even save a rain affected match and lose in less than 2 days actual play. 4-0 
  • Options
    It's gonna go one of 2 ways. We either show a decent amount of fight manage to win the day night test and take advantage of the predicted poor weather to grind out a couple of draws. Lose 2-1 

Or

We capitulate early lose all fight and just roll over and let them have their way with us. Can't even save a rain affected match and lose in less than 2 days actual play. 4-0 
    So which one are you going for?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Or

So which one are you going for?
    I've always been the optimistic sort so I'll say lose 2-1.