Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2021/22

Comments

• Options
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59478624

Aussies getting the excuses in early. I honestly don't think they have anything to worry about but wouldn't it be fantastic?
    the melbourne test being day/night would mean no cricket watching on christmas evening? Do not like.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Aussies getting the excuses in early. I honestly don't think they have anything to worry about but wouldn't it be fantastic?
    the melbourne test being day/night would mean no cricket watching on christmas evening? Do not like.
    I believe they are keeping the third Test as is so no disruption to the Xmas viewing.

It's the fifth Test they are considering making a D/N at either MCG or SCG, or moving to Hobart/Canberra but I doubt it would be D/N at either of those venues.
  • Options

That’s a classic case of trying to put pressure on England. Their record in day/night tests in Australia is impeccable so it doesn’t favour England at all. 
  • Options

That’s a classic case of trying to put pressure on England. Their record in day/night tests in Australia is impeccable so it doesn’t favour England at all. 
    Didn't England draw the d/n last time, in a series we lost 4-0?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

If memory serves me correct, we lost by 100 odd runs in the day nighter at Adelaide. Melbourne was the one we drew. 
  • Options
    Adelaide we lost by 120 runs, scoring 233 in the fourth innings chasing a target of 354.

Melbourne was drawn with England only batting once. Cook scored 244 n/o in an England total of 491.
  • Options
    Brisbane was lost by 10 wickets, with Australia scoring 173 for no loss in the fourth innings.

Perth was lost by an innings and 41 runs. Australia scored 662-9d with Smith top scoring at 239.

Sydney was also by an innings (and 121 runs). Australia scored 649-7d, Khawaja top scorer with 171.
  • Options
    All 5 tests went to the 5th day in the last series … well the 3 (Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney) I went too did and 5 days boozing each time killed me .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If memory serves me correct, we lost by 100 odd runs in the day nighter at Adelaide. Melbourne was the one we drew. 
    I misremembered!

Looking at the scorecard, it was the Aussie collapse in the second innings (presumably under the lights) that had stuck in my mind as they collapsed to Jimmy and Woakes to 138, but they made 442/8 in the first innings!
  • Options
    Yesterday Alex Carey hit 155 for Glenlg against Northern Districts in a game that went the whole way. Jas Singh of Kent returned very commendable figures for ND of 13-5-32-2 whereas on the winning side with Carey was another member of the DLCA, Josh Croom, who plays for Wiltshire and Hants 2s. Croom played a vital part in taking Glenlg home by just one wicket with 13 not out. 

That innings by Carey has put him in the frame to take the gloves from Paine.  Although facing messrs Anderson, Robinson, Broad etc might be more of a challenge.
    Carey almost certain to take the gloves now. He appears to have been given the vote ahead of two players with connections with England namely Josh Inglis who was born here but emigrated with his family at the age of 14 and Jimmy Pierson who played for one season at Bexley in the KPL
    Not saying he will or should but just out of interest, assume Inglis could have played for England?
    I think he would still have to fulfil three year residency rules here in order to qualify

Really? Even with a British passport?
  • Options
    Those clouds make it look more like Headingley in May!
  • Options
    Those clouds make it look more like Headingley in May!
    Stay like this and Jimmy will win us the 1st test.
    It's a sign I tell you.
  • Options
    Yesterday Alex Carey hit 155 for Glenlg against Northern Districts in a game that went the whole way. Jas Singh of Kent returned very commendable figures for ND of 13-5-32-2 whereas on the winning side with Carey was another member of the DLCA, Josh Croom, who plays for Wiltshire and Hants 2s. Croom played a vital part in taking Glenlg home by just one wicket with 13 not out. 

That innings by Carey has put him in the frame to take the gloves from Paine.  Although facing messrs Anderson, Robinson, Broad etc might be more of a challenge.
    Carey almost certain to take the gloves now. He appears to have been given the vote ahead of two players with connections with England namely Josh Inglis who was born here but emigrated with his family at the age of 14 and Jimmy Pierson who played for one season at Bexley in the KPL
    Not saying he will or should but just out of interest, assume Inglis could have played for England?
    I think he would still have to fulfil three year residency rules here in order to qualify

Really? Even with a British passport?

The new ECB eligibility criteria for players, both men and women, from 1 January 2019, are:

• a)  British Citizenship and,
    • b)  Either born in England/Wales, or three years residence (a total of 210 days/year April-March) and
    • c)  Not played as a local player in professional international or domestic cricket in a Full Member country within the last three years

It is c) that disqualifies him as he has played as a "local" player in the last three years. The same clause prevented Charlie Hemphrey, who was born in Doncaster but came through the Kent Academy, from returning to play for Glamorgan last season as an English qualified player.

Hemphrey had been playing for Queensland and gained residency in Australia so, as a result of the change in rules here, he was deemed to be an overseas player if he returned to Glamorgan. They already had Labushagne and Neser and had Glamorgan played Hemphrey in addition (albeit not in the same game because only two overseas players are permitted) then they would have lost certain ECB financial incentives for selecting England qualified players. Unfortunately, that marked the end of Hemphrey's professional career as he was also released by Queensland.

• Options
    Nothing to do with the Ashes but Ajaz Patel, born in Bombay, took all 10 wickets for New Zealand against India to finish with figures of 47.5-12-119-10. Ajaz had only picked up 19 wickets in total in his previous 17 innings!
  • Options
    He must have bowled well, but Somerville must have bowled terribly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leuth said:
    Both. Somerville was absolute trash. Which takes some doing on this pitch. Seriously, is there any point at all taking a seamer to India?
  • Options

Leuth said:
    Both. Somerville was absolute trash. Which takes some doing on this pitch. Seriously, is there any point at all taking a seamer to India?
    Though Siraj picked up the first three NZ wickets to fall
  • Options
    NZ alas putting this pitch in its proper context. I'd almost argue Agarwal did better than Ajaz in that first dig
  • Options

Leuth said:
    Though Siraj picked up the first three NZ wickets to fall
    He did but Patel is a Kiwi and took 10 Indian wickets ….
  • Options
    I see in reply to India’s 325 that NZ are 38-6
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I see in reply to India’s 325 that NZ are 38-6

62 all out. 
  • Options
    What a bizarre set of score cards

350 with one bowler getting all 10
    62 all out
    50-0
  • Options