Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• Options
    Numbers said:
    Tickets for the Norwich game should be free to season ticket holders, get some fans in for that one. 4 in row is mad, is there a limit until the majority of ST holders do get the hump
    The club would have to pay Norwich and the FA (55% of the net price) to issue free tickets.

As a season ticket holder I am not bothered if the club gives tickets away, but if I was paying match by match I’d be waiting for the freebie or at least asking why I should pay a minimum of £23 when tickets are being dumped in all directions, not just to ST holders.

A more general criticism is that this approach is a) ineffective, in that most comps are not used and b) lazy and lacking any strategy. 

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Chicken and egg situation.

If no-one buys a season ticket next year waiting for a freebie, there won't be freebies available. Making sure the free tickets are only available to season ticket holders is smart IMO.

I don't follow the logic that it's unfair to season ticket holders to run this promotion again but I do think it's probably a more effective strategy when it's done with less regularity. Do I have any data to back up that assumption though? I wonder what the commercial team's research is telling them. Perhaps having people turn up 4-5 games in a row is more likely to help build habits and get new fans down the Valley next time out.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

If no-one buys a season ticket next year waiting for a freebie, there won't be freebies available. Making sure the free tickets are only available to season ticket holders is smart IMO.

I don't follow the logic that it's unfair to season ticket holders to run this promotion again but I do think it's probably a more effective strategy when it's done with less regularity. Do I have any data to back up that assumption though? I wonder what the commercial team's research is telling them. Perhaps having people turn up 4-5 games in a row is more likely to help build habits and get new fans down the Valley next time out.
    They have been handed out to local residents, the community trust, so it’s not just season ticket holders. Have the club asked for any names or email addresses for these individuals who have used these freebies? The answer is no, so how do you chase these people up in the future. Did no one think about this before hand! 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    shirty5 said:

They have been handed out to local residents, through the community trust, so it’s not just season ticket holders. Have the club asked for any names or email addresses for these individuals who have used these freebies? The answer is no, so how do you chase these people up in the future. Did no one think about this before hand! 
    I think the community trust can be considered a separate promotion, can't it? They have been doing that for years, it's the season ticket holders getting extra tickets that is new. Are we shutting down the community trust's initiatives now too?

Don't disagree that retaining contact details of the day trippers would be a better way of doing it and encourage people to come back. I think someone (maybe it was yourself?) made the same point earlier on in this thread.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

They have been handed out to local residents, through the community trust, so it’s not just season ticket holders. Have the club asked for any names or email addresses for these individuals who have used these freebies? The answer is no, so how do you chase these people up in the future. Did no one think about this before hand! 
    I think the community trust can be considered a separate promotion, can't it? They have been doing that for years, it's the season ticket holders getting extra tickets that is new. Are we shutting down the community trust's initiatives now too?

Don't disagree that retaining contact details of the day trippers would be a better way of doing it and encourage people to come back. I think someone (maybe it was yourself?) made the same point earlier on in this thread.
    Where did I say about shutting down community trust initiatives? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

I took it as implied from your post - I wasn't the first one to to bring the community trust into the conversation.

"They have been handed out to local residents, through the community trust, so it’s not just season ticket holders."

If you're opposed to free tickets, why are you for the community trust handing them out to residents but against season ticket holders being allowed to bring their mates?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

I took it as implied from your post - I wasn't the first one to to bring the community trust into the conversation.

"They have been handed out to local residents, through the community trust, so it’s not just season ticket holders."

If you're opposed to free tickets, why are you for the community trust handing them out to residents but against season ticket holders being allowed to bring their mates?
    The club gave them out to local residents, not the trust for the Ipswich game. 

As Airman says, what’s the point in buying a match by match ticket, when you can get wait till the last possible moment if a free offer comes out again. 
  • Options
    I think these things are good as a one off.  If you keep repeating it, it becomes a bit stale.  

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Hopefully next season we see a reduction in all ST prices. If you want bums on seats, make all tickers cheaper, like Bradford did.
    This . Half the price and double amount of season ticket holders . I’m sure @Airman Brown will tell us it doesn’t work that way . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you're like me and you don't have any friends, you have to keep spending twenty-odd quid on tickets. Thomas out!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Croydon said:
    Hopefully next season we see a reduction in all ST prices. If you want bums on seats, make all tickers cheaper, like Bradford did.
    This . Half the price and double amount of season ticket holders . I’m sure @Airman Brown will tell us it doesn’t work that way . 
    Only the same income that way and if people are only paying about £150 for a season ticket they’re probably more likely to just not bother some games.
  • Options
    It doesn’t make sense to do this so frequently, in my opinion. 

I know a few people who were interested in half-season tickets but have since backed out as they know there will likely be a freebie about. 

Still, it’s a nice gesture and I’d much rather go to a game with more spectators compared to less.
  • Options
    Have I missed something .. Can STH get free tickets for Saturday’s match? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:

The club gave them out to local residents, not the trust for the Ipswich game. 

As Airman says, what’s the point in buying a match by match ticket, when you can get wait till the last possible moment if a free offer comes out again. 
    But if everyone took that approach, there would be no free tickets to give..? A few hundred trust comps won’t go around.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Croydon said:
    Bradford have also had the problem that people don’t turn up. We had £150 season tickets for a year under RD if I recall and then we had £200. The latter didn’t sell out and large numbers continued to pay higher prices for their preferred seats. 

I think it’s dangerous in any business to encourage the perception your product is worthless. It’s as likely to persuade people they shouldn’t bother with it as that they should join the ranks of the payers. The club is not even collecting data from the ticket users.

There are any number of promotions you can run while protecting your core income. Random dumping of free tickets isn’t one of them.

• Options
    If you're like me and you don't have any friends, you have to keep spending twenty-odd quid on tickets. Thomas out!
    Not necessarily a good sign when a Captain Bob starts telling people he has no friends…best stay away from your yacht.

• Options
    Maybe the club feels the freebies are likely to go to the same people each of the 3-4 games.  Go once and you are not hooked, go to 3-4 in quick succession and you are?  Probably unlikely but maybe worth a shot.  As a season ticket holder it does not offend me, would be great to get The Valley regularly full but as said above the only realistic chance of achieving that is promotion.  No harm trying though.
  • Options
    By all means give the tickets away, Just turn up on time know where you are sitting, and don't you dare start phoning and waving to some other freeloader in the East stand, OR let the women in your life start taking selfies and start tut tuting when i call the ref a knob!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apart from anything else is now really the best time to fill the valley ?
  • Options
    Personally I don't mind the promotion. If I gave up my season ticket I doubt I'd be lucky enough to blag regular freebies of a close enough friend with a season ticket so I don't feel I'm losing out as my only regular way of watching games then would be via a season ticket freebies or not.

If people are lucky enough to grab regular freebies then good for them, hopefully they'll in return spend money on food, drink, merchandise etc they might not have in the first place. That's certainly been the case when I've given away tickets, might even be able to persuade one of them to get a season ticket too.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    The fact of the matter is its league one, theres only so many people who would be interested to watch L1 football even if its for free. Just ask any of the locals walking around Woolwich in Man U and Liverpool shirts, Charlton barely register with them and we are on their doorstep....
  • Options
    Problem is many people got out of the habit of going (Those who boycotted under RD) I know some who are now avid Maidstone supporters,and no doubt loads of people just found other things to do.It is about getting these people back and keeping them,the only thing that will do that is get a winning team,start climbing the table,get a few headlines,approach the play offs,gradually they will trickle back.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Belv said:
    I was all for this originally, I feel like they are teetering on the edge of taking the piss out of ST holders now though.
    I’m a ST holder. I think it shows some real initiative and commitment from Tommy and his team to get more fans along. I have no problem with it whatsoever. 
    yep - agree, we are ST holders and think its a great idea. Why have empty seats! Bums on seats also means money via Outlets etc.
    Which are still franchised out under the agreement during the Meire years

I was told, by a usually reliable source, that the club has taken back the franchise and is now running it, as from the first Fill The Valley game against Plymouth. It was pointed out to me that at that game serving staff were wearing CAFC branded clothing and not the uniforms provided by the franchise.

I don't know if this is true or not - I'm sure there must be someone on CL that could categorically confirm or deny this - but if it is, that'd be a major factor in these decisions.
  • Options
    13.5k figures from VOTV

home fans for Plymouth , Ipswich and Cambridge shows there just isn't the appetite even at £0.00 to attend The Valley for League One guff .

In reality we're not a draw and I doubt we'd even fill the home areas in The Championship at £0.00 

i'd like to know where airman thinks the missing 7.5k would have fitted in against plymouth? 
  • Options
    other than on this thread , i can't see where its said that there are freebies up for grabs for the wycombe game? Been a very low key bit of advertising if that is the case? doesn't appear to be on the official site - i don't do twitter or facebook or any of that - is it on there?  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    other than on this thread , i can't see where its said that there are freebies up for grabs for the wycombe game? Been a very low key bit of advertising if that is the case? doesn't appear to be on the official site - i don't do twitter or facebook or any of that - is it on there?  
    No, just an email sent to all season ticket holders at 4pm yesterday 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    No, just an email sent to all season ticket holders at 4pm yesterday 
    oh ok - i don't look at my emails when not working so that answers that