Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    13.5k figures from VOTV

home fans for Plymouth , Ipswich and Cambridge shows there just isn't the appetite even at £0.00 to attend The Valley for League One guff .

In reality we're not a draw and I doubt we'd even fill the home areas in The Championship at £0.00 

i'd like to know where airman thinks the missing 7.5k would have fitted in against plymouth? 
    They are not my figures, they are the recorded admissions provided to the police and the council by the club as part of the safety licensing arrangements and based on the turnstile records. You can FOI them. If they are inaccurate that would be a serious matter for the authorities, as the club would not know how many people had been admitted. All I would say is that my experience is that people always think the crowd is bigger than it is. If you look at pictures of our PL crowds for big games you will see they are much more packed - even in areas that superficially appear quite full at recent games. You don’t notice the single empty seats.

I notice the club has tweaked the ticketing system so you no longer get a count of how many seats are left. Why have they done that, do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    13.5k figures from VOTV

home fans for Plymouth , Ipswich and Cambridge shows there just isn't the appetite even at £0.00 to attend The Valley for League One guff .

In reality we're not a draw and I doubt we'd even fill the home areas in The Championship at £0.00 

i'd like to know where airman thinks the missing 7.5k would have fitted in against plymouth? 
    They are not my figures, they are the recorded admissions provided to the police and the council by the club and based on the turnstile records. All I would say is that my experience is that people always think the crowd is bigger than it is. If you look at pictures of our PL crowds for big games you will see they are much more packed.
    i realised that you would have been given the figures by somebody and i also realise that we can view crowds as being bigger than they are but do you really think that in the home areas we could have fitted nearly another half of those people in again? 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    13.5k figures from VOTV

They are not my figures, they are the recorded admissions provided to the police and the council by the club and based on the turnstile records. All I would say is that my experience is that people always think the crowd is bigger than it is. If you look at pictures of our PL crowds for big games you will see they are much more packed.
    i realised that you would have been given the figures by somebody and i also realise that we can view crowds as being bigger than they are but do you really think that in the home areas we could have fitted nearly another half of those people in again? 
    I prefer the data to perception in this case, because I know how difficult it is to judge. I agree the Plymouth one is counter-intuitive but I would never have said the crowd was more than 22,000 and knowing how well comps work I never expected it to be.
  • Options
    so, the figures say 19.5k, you say 22k, i think i've said 24.5k previously - i'd suggest the official figures you received are wrong - turnstile / gate issues maybe but there is no way you would have fitted virtually the whole of the west stand into those 3 stands again - that's just common sense  
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    so, the figures say 19.5k, you say 22k, i think i've said 24.5k previously - i'd suggest the official figures you received are wrong - turnstile / gate issues maybe but there is no way you would have fitted virtually the whole of the west stand into those 3 stands again - that's just common sense  
    We’ll have to agree to disagree then. I haven’t said 22k though - I said that was the most it could ever have been, in my view, based on issuing every ticket and what I saw on the day. It was lower than I would have guessed.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We’ll have to agree to disagree then. I haven’t said 22k though - I said that was the most it could ever have been, in my view, based on issuing every ticket and what I saw on the day. It was lower than I would have guessed.
    Maybe the discrepancy can be made up by all the people being let in through the gates without having to scan their tickets?
  • Options
    Problem is many people got out of the habit of going (Those who boycotted under RD) I know some who are now avid Maidstone supporters,and no doubt loads of people just found other things to do.It is about getting these people back and keeping them,the only thing that will do that is get a winning team,start climbing the table,get a few headlines,approach the play offs,gradually they will trickle back.
    Ive also said this many times, people do indeed find other things to do. Covid now is also playing a part and people will be wary which is understandable.

Its going to be a long slow process before we start to see larger non promotional crowds.
  • Options
    Airman Brown said:All I would say is that my experience is that people always think the crowd is bigger than it is. 
    You and me both Airman …….no one likes the truth😐
  • Options
    I don’t care how many are in the ground. I just get a warm glow from seeing massive crowds announced. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any chance of us going back to football for a fiver this season or next? Noticed Hibs are doing it for an upcoming game.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    I don’t care how many are in the ground. I just get a warm glow from seeing massive crowds announced. 
    I've got just the person to announce the attendance on Saturday

• Options
    Any chance of us going back to football for a fiver this season or next? Noticed Hibs are doing it for an upcoming game.
    We currently have kid for a quid and just had buy 1 get1 free. I'm sure Marches offers will be promoted in a week or 2.

Next step is putting them in the middle isle at Lidls 

• Options

An absolute disgrace. 
  • Options
    To think the club have paid a consultancy company to come up with this. A supporters group would do this for free and come up with much better ideas. Shame Thomas seems to think he knows best and will do it his way. It will cost him a lot of money and I can see us staying in this division for a good few seasons. Season ticket sales will slump next season I'm afraid.
    This with knobs on. Why hasn’t he listened to people like Rick & Wendy and actually try to grow the fan base properly. At the moment they may as well just chuck them in the bin. Previous Target initiatives worked because people came back. This scattergun approach is ridiculous and TS needs to recognise that quickly.
  • Options
    We gave away tickets for MK to a school in Enfield which I thought was strange. Huge Tottenham area none of those kids are going to want to come back to Charlton.  just seems a pointless exercise. 
  • Options
    Sandgaard clearly doesn’t think that anyone involved in the club’s previous success has any relevance now.
    When speaking about involving Curbs for example he said several nice things but referred to what he achieved as being two decades ago.
    Quite telling that I thought.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Strategy just makes zero sense across the board. Whoever are getting paid for it are taking the piss out of TS and probably getting a decent wedge for doing such a bad job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

WTF did I buy a season ticket for?
    Love.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    We gave away tickets for MK to a school in Enfield which I thought was strange. Huge Tottenham area none of those kids are going to want to come back to Charlton.  just seems a pointless exercise. 
    Your talking about the match, right!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Because probably like me you've chosen a seat where you want to sit.

BUT
    There is no way this amount of comps should be given away. Today should be a bumper crowd with people willing to pay for the experience. Comps should be targetted at specific groups for the less interesting games.
  • Options
    I know 6 people in Bromley that went to the MK Dons match 4 kids 2 adults. They ate outside the ground and support West Ham and Millwall.
  • Options
    I support Charlton lol - can anyone send me a comp ticket and I promise to buy a pint in the ground ? 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

To ensure you had a seat to watch us celebrate promotion at our last home game as promised by Adkins and TS………

• Options
    Regarding fan engagement in the Fill the Valley campaign, there has been zero since the first meeting (which I assume Rick or Wendy could have attended?), something which I’ve found a bit puzzling.

I personally advocated long term sustainable growth of the fan base through a process which made us the best run club off the pitch in the country - for me it needed to be an open and partnership approach with fans, and including improvements to the match day experience with feedback on that and any marketing, plus brainstorming and testing ideas, but that’s not happened. 

The club appeared to listen in the meeting made some noises about match day experience, and then embarked on what we’ve seen since with the help of some premier league consultants (what they would know about charlton in League one I’m not sure). I’ve since offered some ideas on season tickets including levelling and simplifying and a radical approach to kids eg under 12s go free, and some other things but the process has been far from what I personally envisaged. 

Ultimately it’s up to the club to see value in any fan engagement approach or it’s just window dressing and a waste of people’s time. I have been asked to attend the FF because season tickets are being discussed which I wasn’t too keen on because I feel there needs to be dedicated FTV meetings, but will be attending as it stands. 
  • Options
    Yet another example of why a CEO is needed. 
    An experienced CEO would tell Sandgaard that this is just wrong.
    All though I doubt he would listen as he thinks he knows more than anyone else. 
  • Options
    To think the club have paid a consultancy company to come up with this. A supporters group would do this for free and come up with much better ideas. Shame Thomas seems to think he knows best and will do it his way. It will cost him a lot of money and I can see us staying in this division for a good few seasons. Season ticket sales will slump next season I'm afraid.
    This is the bit that I find odd.  I understand the role of consultants for many a business and many a function.  But we’re not like any other business.  We’re a family club with a core support and you need to tap into that first and foremost.  

I get the desire to increase income through bums on seats and people spending money on food and drink, but that’s all irrelevant if the end product we consume is 16th in League One

I don’t blame TS for that.  He hired who he thought could do a job, spent money on players that he was told would be able to get us out this division and it hasn’t happened.

But as a result, the focus should only really be on working to put right what the core fans want to see.  Let’s face it, probably all of us on here would turn up and watch us if we dropped down to the conference, but the point is, because we would do that, sod trying to find an extra few hundred fans that might be tempted to come and see us off the back of a 4-0 home defeat to Oxford or whoever.  It won’t work.

Consultants aren’t going to suddenly come up with a magic formula to sell more tickets.  

All eyes should be on recruitment for the summer and cutting a large number of useless and mediocre players that make up our current squad