Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Morecambe v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 23 November 2021

Comments

• Options
    Davison doesn’t have a shot on him which is unfortunate for a striker
  • Options
    For the pen, Pearce would have been canny enough to have fallen over on the shirt pull and won a free kick. He would have loved battle with Stockton 
    Or have punched him. You never know with Pearcy!
  • Options
    edited November 2021

• Options
    mendonca said:
    For the pen, Pearce would have been canny enough to have fallen over on the shirt pull and won a free kick. He would have loved battle with Stockton 
    Or have punched him. You never know with Pearcy!
    If he hadn’t have won a free kick he would have brought him down before the Box I reckon 
  • Options
    Crowd noise was nearly all Charlton on the stream. Great support. A draw feels like a loss, but at least that shows how far we have improved.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    It was clever attacking play but Stockley wouldn't get away with it and we have to ask ourselves why. Do refs feel they should give plucky small teams more leeway? Not so much moaning about that being allowed, more that we don't seem to be allowed to do it!
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with the general feeling on here. Wasted opportunity to collect more points. Morecambe were the worst team I have seen this season and we should have beaten them even playing well below average. Ref was poor. Support was fantastic again. Stockley & Pearce would have made a difference I think. The only way they were going to score was from a set piece. Need to win on Saturday up at Shrewsbury.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we were tired towards the end both physically and mentally, just not quite there and the pen so soon after the 2nd toom out our momentum, but can't blame them after the effort recently, as others have said things caught up with us a bit, interestingly I listened to morecambe commentary and they said we was the best team they've faced at theirs, and we're ecstatic with the point. If that game had been on Saturday with a weeks break between games we win that 3 or 4-0
  • Options
    Can't win them all. Adkins rubbish start meant we are playing catch up to have even a sniff of getting the play offs 
  • Options
    Think people are being very harsh on Kirk personally 
    He was right in front of me - I was standing on his side of the terrace, and he was completely ineffective. He never once tried to attack the full back, he either cut inside or passed back.
  • Options
    I would like to stick up for CBT as he won us a number of corners which is what you want deep into the game with a home team which is playing with bodies in the box like an away team. We missed Stockley though.
    We badly lacked height at attacking set pieces
  • Options
    The standard of refereeing in this league gets worse every season. 
    This is true. Blowing the whistle whilst we were attacking in their box before 3 minutes is up is a scandal really. But we have to accept it because it is our fault as a club we are in this league. The ref was their extra man though and if it was to come out he had bet on a draw, it would make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    It was hard for the wide men because they were shutting up shop. Unusual for a home side but shows they feared us. Not the best night, but the unbeaten run continues and this isn't a game to dwell on. On to the next game and make the point tonight an ok one.

I was interested in their striker as I heard he might be a decent signing for us, but it was difficult to judge him apart from winning the penalty. I think there is something about him though. 
  • Options
    Think people are being very harsh on Kirk personally 
    He looks like he's lacking confidence to me, still plenty of time for him to come good.
  • Options
    Davison's miss came at a vital time. He used to score those for fun in Cups/U23's. Perhaps needs more time in games than he is going to get. 

Lee also could have played in Wash just before HT. 

2 big calls led to goals for them. The penalty and the corner, rather than a foul on Clare. That's not to say we wouldn't have conceded until full time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jayden Stockley will be on CharltonTV on Saturday against Shrewsbury Town.

Should be good viewing for those abroad, and those who can get to their various holiday homes around the globe.
    Getting a Chinese burn off Curbs for the juicy gos 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Having Kirk, Lee and Washington on the pitch at the same time will never work. They all attempt the same things, albeit with different levels of finesse.
  • Options
    Disappointment after being 2-0 up but it is another added point. It was a tough game and I thought their defence was pretty solid in the second half and made a lot of significant blocks. We were sloppy with some of our passing in the second half and lacked the intensity of last Saturday. 
    Another chance next Saturday. Just hope we have enough fit players to take on a similar battle against Shrewsbury. 
  • Options
    Agree with a lot of the comments that we would have won if Stockley had played in place of Davison. Makes it all the more galling that Stockley got himself sent off for foul play that he had no need to get involved in. Hope this isn’t the same outcome on Saturday. 
    Ref was as bad as any other we have had this season - definitely a foul on Clare leading to their corner for the second goal. He also gave Morecambe vast majority of decisions and blowing the final whistle 10 seconds early was abysmal refereeing (3 minutes was meant to be the minimum & he had just wasted 20:seconds booking their left back.
    We were in total control of the game at 2-0 but once they got the pen we stopped playing the way we had started.
    Too much tippy tippy football around their box (unfortunately we’re not as good as Man City) with passes going astray or not being controlled properly.
    Cant fault the efforts of the players but not clinical enough tonight.
    Jacko must be furious with throwing away a two goal lead and not making their keeper make any saves despite all our pressure. Hope we improve on Saturday and get three points. 

• Options
    Think if we were 1 up, the ref wouldn’t have given the pen, it was never a pen. 
    Had we drawn on Saturday and won tonight we would be a lot happier. Win on Saturday & tonight result would be great.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

So, what a disappointing performance.
    Kirk given yet another chance to show what he can do, but once again failed to impress.