Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else think our batting line up looks very fragile ? 

Crawley availability?? Denly looked well past it last season, Cox’s average is awful if you take out that big knock out of the equation, Bell Drummond struggled in four day cricket. 

Great bowling line up but can see it being let down by that batting line up. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Anyone else think our batting line up looks very fragile ? 

Crawley availability?? Denly looked well past it last season, Cox’s average is awful if you take out that big knock out of the equation, Bell Drummond struggled in four day cricket. 

Great bowling line up but can see it being let down by that batting line up. 
    Wouldn't disagree with that. I do think that the one difference this season is that we have a bit more competition for places. Billings should be around when Crawley is playing Test cricket and when everyone is available we will have nine players (Crawley, Compton, Cox, Denly, Billings, DBD, Muyeye, Leaning and Robinson) competing for just six batting spots - with Steven (FC av 35) and Linde (FC av 30) to follow at 7 and 8. 

With our bowling attack of Bird/Henry, Stevens, Milnes, Linde plus one of our other in form seamers we will, hopefully, not be chasing too many. And unlike some counties we are highly unlikely to lose more than one or two players for international call ups.

We are currently 14/1 to win the CC whereas Surrey are 8/1 (as short as 6/1). I know which is the better value given that Surrey only won 5 of their 32 matches in the last 3 seasons albeit that the likes of Burns and the Curran brothers might be available for most of the season 
  • Options
    I assume Joe Denly is ok and raring to go? Weren't there rumours last year about him having issues, and maybe retiring?
    I believe he is chumping at the bit now, first winter at home in 6 years, and recharged the battery's.. I think the whole England set up testes players mentally, and he was a little bit used and abused by England, and was a bit of a scapegoat!. 

My betting, Denly will have a good season, and will be one of the best players on the circuit again. 
  • Options
    Choosing my seats for the blast matches

Recommended stands to sit in?

Got a couple of matches already in the Wooley upper tier.
    We are now invited to purchase our seats for the home Blast games as a priority category following tickets purchased last season.

However, I find it difficult to look so far ahead & due to the fact we've never had a problem purchasing on a match by match basis, I'm assuming there shouldn't be any issues doing the same this time. It's not as though we sit in one of the priority areas or stands. 

Thoughts, please .  
    I would have thought it would be possible to get tickets nearer the time as we got the quarter final tickets ok. We've only bought tickets for the June 3 game as the only one we can go to. Got them where we sat near you for that game
  • Options

We are now invited to purchase our seats for the home Blast games as a priority category following tickets purchased last season.

However, I find it difficult to look so far ahead & due to the fact we've never had a problem purchasing on a match by match basis, I'm assuming there shouldn't be any issues doing the same this time. It's not as though we sit in one of the priority areas or stands. 

Thoughts, please .  
    I would have thought it would be possible to get tickets nearer the time as we got the quarter final tickets ok. We've only bought tickets for the June 3 game as the only one we can go to. Got them where we sat near you for that game
    Decided to buy tickets for us & pal, Don for 25th May v Somerset, 3rd June v Surrey & 3rd July v Glamorgan.

We're on the North Bank area, Block 2 for all 3. 

See you there ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thoughts, please .  
    Decided to buy tickets for us & pal, Don for 25th May v Somerset, 3rd June v Surrey & 3rd July v Glamorgan.

We're on the North Bank area, Block 2 for all 3. 

See you there ! 
    We're in north bank, block 3 - yes, see you there
  • Options
    Used to love watching Kent with Hooper on the occasions we were picked for the BBC game on a Sunday 
  • Options
    I was lucky enough to see Hooper take Yorkshire apart at Maidstone once in a county championship match. Local lad Gavin Hamilton was playing for Yorkshire as an aside. Hooper seemed to hit 4s and 6s at will that day.
  • Options
    Played a few games with Gavin at Sidcup in my teens, just before he went to Yorkshire
  • Options
    Played a few games with Gavin at Sidcup in my teens, just before he went to Yorkshire
    I was the first to give Gavin the opportunity to open the batting for an adult team when I skippered the Sunday 2s - he was 13 at the time and made about 20. I also used to have a bet every week with this dad, Gavin Snr, that the 2s would score more than the 3s who he used to play for on a Sunday. Lovely family but sadly Gavin Snr, Gavin's Mum, Wendy and his older brother, Andy (aka Hoots) have all since passed away.
  • Options
    https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/2022-mens-captaincy-structure-confirmed/?fbclid=IwAR0ssxyuY2DMMM0ddxV9UUyE6Rcj_WxEpxygGZ9-q8d_ZdugvenBsTmLA3A

DBD to captain white ball games in Billings' absence and Leaning doing likewise for the CC which rather confirms the suspicion that DBD will have to fight for his place in red ball
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kent are playing their first warm up match for the season against Warwickshire today. Kent are batting and the interesting aspect it that DBD is back to opening - with Compton. It it Cox that has been dropped down the order to 5 which suggests that Compton, especially as the only left hander in our order, will be the guaranteed opener at the start of the season and that DBD might be his partner until such time as Crawley becomes available - at which point he will either be left out or replace Cox at 5. When Billings then returns at the end of May, until Crawley returns to England, two from Cox, DBD and Robinson will, no doubt, be omitted. 

We are currently 71-0 off 30 overs with Compton 36* (104) and DBD 34* (76)

Live stream link below

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-vs-warwickshire/ 
  • Options
    Kent are playing their first warm up match for the season against Warwickshire today. Kent are batting and the interesting aspect it that DBD is back to opening - with Compton. It it Cox that has been dropped down the order to 5 which suggests that Compton, especially as the only left hander in our order, will be the guaranteed opener at the start of the season and that DBD might be his partner until such time as Crawley becomes available - at which point he will either be left out or replace Cox at 5. When Billings then returns at the end of May, until Crawley returns to England, two from Cox, DBD and Robinson will, no doubt, be omitted. 

Live stream link below

Incredibly lucky weather for March, don't they normally go overseas (in non Covid times) to practice in March?

I imagine Kent will play around with the batting order a bit, I can't see Compton with his uninspiring previous record for Notts being an automatic pick to open the batting
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Live stream link below

Incredibly lucky weather for March, don't they normally go overseas (in non Covid times) to practice in March?

I imagine Kent will play around with the batting order a bit, I can't see Compton with his uninspiring previous record for Notts being an automatic pick to open the batting
    They've gone from training indoors this season to out in the middle in a specially erected tent!!! My spies tell me that it worked well until the minimal number of wickets became very worn and batsmen were somewhat apprehensive of facing the bowling. 

Compton did really well for us in the 2s last season. A bit like a horse moving stables or a footballer moving clubs, sometimes sportsmen just do better in a different environment. We signed him because of his 2s performances but also because he is that left hander - we must be the only County side in the country that hasn't had at least one of them - and that puts him ahead, in my opinion of Cox who has gone backwards in red ball since he scored that 238* - take that out and his average drops from 32.46 to 24.53. Cox also averaged 27.57 last season and DBD was even worse at 26.18 so Compton doesn't have to improve that much to command a place. In fact, he's been playing First Class cricket in Zimbabwe where his scores have been:

33*
    13*
    109*

The standard might be questionable but it does prove that he can score runs and if he does get a score in these warm up games then I do think he will be first choice. As I have learnt from experience, counties tend to give opportunities to those that want to play in the team rather than those that they don't.

• Options
    Both openers retired with the score on 124-0 off 44

Compton 59* (139)
    DBD 56* (127)
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up re the live stream, AA.

Summer's nearly here ! 
  • Options
    The pressure of captaincy already taking his toll on Leaning as he is bowled for 2
  • Options
    170-1 at tea

Denly 30* (57)
    Cox 12* (26)
  • Options
    197-2 off 69

Cox out for 19 (44)
    Denly 50* (83)
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up re the live stream, AA.

Summer's nearly here ! 
    You wait until the County Championship starts in April. Fielders wearing three sweaters. Crowd shivering in big coats and hats.
  • Options
    239-2 off 79

Denly retired 68* (102)
    Robinson 14* (38)
    Stevens 9* (7)