Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent Cricket 2022

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Kent are currently 79-3. Muyeye (10) opened with Compton (15) and Denly didn't trouble the scorers. Interesting that, once again, Compton opened and that Cox didn't despite the fact that DBD was dropped down to 7.

Leaning 22* (55)
    Cox 19* (33)
  • Cox out for 36 (63)

106-4

Leaning 28* (92)
    Robinson 6* (8)
  • 138-4 off 52

Leaning 45* (128)
    Robinson 19* (54)

I mentioned yesterday that O'Riordan took a catch and he wasn't even in the 14 and also that Stevens hadn't bowled again. O'Riordan is down to bat at 8 and Stevens isn't in the line up which suggests that the latter isn't even playing. Presumably the injury that has prevented Stevens from bowling is also stopping him from batting and fielding. Hopefully he is saving himself for the season proper!
  • edited March 2022
    196-4 at tea

Leaning 70* (170)
    Robinson 49* (90)

Edit: both batsmen retired on those scores
  • 220-5

Milnes out for 10
  • Leaning is so greedy that he wants to bat at both ends:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/middlesex-vs-kent-2/?fbclid=IwAR09-YJZ3oN6l85IJzYuXHb-e2JG_Cv5mqKt9uQ16qcf7IY8o6mkJ0wEK5o#$$2_013_06

Love the way the real Leaning takes his jumper off once the imposter gets out - does he think that the scorer can't differentiate between a left and right hander?
  • End of play: 294-5

Stewart 42 and Muyeye 41 (two innings today) were there at the end. DBD didn't bat either.

Two games and two good work outs. 
  • Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
  • Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
    Wonder if Linde might be having visa issues ?  I have no insider information to base that on.   

Can’t quite see why Cox wouldn’t open in 4 day cricket - always looks safer than DBD to me .  
    wmcf123 said:
    Do we reckon both linde and bird will be here for the first game ? Will be interesting to see how we shape the side up with both of them in it. 
    Wonder if Linde might be having visa issues ?  I have no insider information to base that on.   

Can’t quite see why Cox wouldn’t open in 4 day cricket - always looks safer than DBD to me .  
    Both Linde and Bird have been playing in the last week domestic cricket in South Africa and Australia respectively. Not sure when either fly in but assume that both will be available for our first game.

I get the impression that the reason that we signed Compton was, as well as him being left handed, to open the batting from the start of the season. I've said before how Cox's average drops to mid 20s once you take out that massive partnership with Leaning and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a feeling that Cox is a bit too loose to open. In fact, I would go on to say that I think Robinson is a better opener both from a technical and temperament perspective. However, as he has the gloves, that won't happen. DBD dropped down the order after seasons of not kicking on as a red ball opener but might still be the reserve opener if and when Crawley isn't available. And I also think that DBD might get the number 5 spot ahead of Cox for that reason.

Assuming that Linde and Bird arrive, that Crawley is available and that Stevens is fit, I could see this now being our starting XI for the first game:

Crawley
    Compton
    Denly 
    Leaning (C)
    DBD
    Robinson (WK)
    Linde
    Stevens
    Milnes
    Podmore/Gilchrist/Quinn
    Bird 

• Sponsored links:

• We do seem rather overstocked with red ball spinners now, if Linde is available all season. Hard to see Logan getting many games, never mind Qadri
  • For the last couple of seasons, our 2s has been mostly made up of triallists and academy players with the odd first teamer due to us having a small squad, injuries and international call ups.

We will still have injuries and call ups but we are in a very good position so far as squad size is concerned (these teams are red ball):

1st XI

Crawley
    Compton
    Denly 
    Leaning 
    Billings
    Robinson 
    Linde
    Stevens
    Milnes
    Podmore
    Bird/Henry 

2nd XI

DBD
    Muyeye
    Cox
    O'Riordan
    Stewart
    Gilchrist
    Quinn
    Klaassen
    Logan
    Qadri
    Singh

The 2nd XI is rather heavy on bowling - only Cox doesn't bowl

• We do seem rather overstocked with red ball spinners now, if Linde is available all season. Hard to see Logan getting many games, never mind Qadri
    Let alone O'Riordan. All three of the English bowlers are still under contract to at least the end of the season and it's not like football where there are numerous clubs might come in for them. Linde was signed because he is better than them with the ball and can bat too. Should there be a bunsen burner at any time then one would have thought that Qadri or O'Riordan would come in as they are right arm off break bowlers whereas Logan is left arm orthodox like Linde. Which begs the question as to whether Logan, despite being our best spinner last season, will be surplus to requirements for this season at least. I also don't know why Logan didn't play in either of the warm up games to date.
    Let alone O'Riordan. All three of the English bowlers are still under contract to at least the end of the season and it's not like football where there are numerous clubs might come in for them. Linde was signed because he is better than them with the ball and can bat too. Should there be a bunsen burner at any time then one would have thought that Qadri or O'Riordan would come in as they are right arm off break bowlers whereas Logan is left arm orthodox like Linde. Which begs the question as to whether Logan, despite being our best spinner last season, will be surplus to requirements for this season at least. I also don't know why Logan didn't play in either of the warm up games to date.
    And there's still Denly as a back up spinner to Linde anyway
    And there's still Denly as a back up spinner to Linde anyway
    And Leaning
  • Just been told we are signing Ryan Patel from Surrey. Don’t know much about him but young which fits the mould Kent area going for 
  • Just been told we are signing Ryan Patel from Surrey. Don’t know much about him but young which fits the mould Kent area going for 
    Medium paced allrounder. Not immediately sure why we need him, unless it's because we're targeting the Royal London!
    Medium paced allrounder. Not immediately sure why we need him, unless it's because we're targeting the Royal London!
    I'm with you re the Royal London. We will lose Crawley, Billings, Denly, Cox, DBD, Blake and possibly Leaning too to The Hundred which would only leave us with Compton, Muyeye and Robinson as front line batsmen. Sometimes these signings are punts and Patel might have been told that he will have limited opportunities at Surrey so it would suit him too. Do we know that it's not a loan?
  • I have a feeling it will probably be a loan, currently playing for Surrey in a friendly, so can’t imagine the move is  permanent if he was playing today. Have asked the question though! 
  • I have a feeling it will probably be a loan, currently playing for Surrey in a friendly, so can’t imagine the move is  permanent if he was playing today. Have asked the question though! 
    Cover for Stevens? Stevo didn't bowl last week in the warm up games
  • Sponsored links:

Always happy to help out our Kentish cousins. 
    Always happy to help out our Kentish cousins. 
    Thanks for your assistance but, with total respect, your mob need to start helping themselves because, unlike Kent, Surrey won nothing last year!
  • Final warm up game against Lancs starts today. Uncontested toss and Lancs will bat. Link to live stream:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/kent-vs-lancashire-4/
  • Final warm up game against Lancs starts today. Uncontested toss and Lancs will bat. Link to live stream:

Will be interesting to see if Stevo has a bowl 

Will be interesting to see if Stevo has a bowl 
    Think I saw him warming up 
  • Good start to the day. Balderson plays on first ball of the match, with an indecisive nothing shot, to Milnes
  • Stevens opens the other end to Milnes
  • 19-2 Milnes yorks Villas and now has figures of 5-2-14-2. Competition for those potential two fast bowling spots between Milnes, Podmore, Quinn and Gilchrist is going to be immense.

Stevens just bowled three overs and went for just a single. Hope that this short spell was pre-planned and that Stevens wasn't feeling anything.
  • 73-3 off 20 

Bohannon out LBW to Stewart