Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace fans wetting themselves over their FA Cup draw vs Millwall

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    Both clubs are chite miserable entities, but there is a certain amount of authenticity about Millwall whereas Crystal Palace are a plastic concocted confection of crap.
    Exactly. Millwall are a South London club. Palace are not. 
    Milwal are not a South London club.

Formed by Scots, they play in Scottish colours and have a Scottish badge. And Millwall is NORTH of the river
    Explains why they never win anything then
    And we were here first
    Boom @MillwallFan !!!

1905 Charlton - Millwall moved to the correct side of the river 1910 - read it and weep 😉
    Ok, clutching at straws here, but you was still a boys club in 1905. We was a professional club playing in SE London before Charlton were. 

😁
    "Professional" doing at lot of work here.

And by 1910 the boys were five years older so 19/20/21 years old
    Still didn’t turn pro until 1920. So Millwall are the oldest professional football club in South London 😉
    I always take the view that a football club should be named after the community within which it is located and purports to engage with and represent.

Bermondsey FC perhaps or were Millwall the first Franchise FC? 
    They were just copying Palace, Chelsea and Liverpool, all created as franchises to utilise existing stadia
    Existing stadia? The old den? 

Truth is, as a club, Millwall out grew the island. We was actually quite a big and well supported club then. As the crow flies we didn’t actually move that far. And even as recently as the 80’s and 90’s you’d still get plenty of islanders walking through the pipe to come and watch home games. 
    Didn't move that far? There's a big f*ck off strip of water there - and we all know that the wrong side of the river is north.
    As the crow flies swims 😆

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Wasn’t the last game on the island against Woolwich Arsenal, well supported by a crowd of 3000?
    I don’t know tbh but I know we once got 15k over there for a game v West Ham, which in those days, baring in mind those grounds we played on over there were basically glorified recreational grounds, isn’t a bad crowd. And was too big for the island to host. 

Once in New Cross our crowds grew and grew as the islanders carried on the support and we drew new support from the surrounding areas south of the water. 

1920’s and 30’s we was regularly getting crowds of 30-40k, but as a club we was hit particularly bad by WW2, lost momentum there, and never really recovered from that. 
  • Options
    My son plays against Millwall Albion at football and Millwall stars Cricket Club both north of the river ....

the scum is what washed up on the other side of the thames southside 
    Are you going to go to the Millwall v Palace game with your scum mates? 
  • Options
    @MillwallFan, you get a promote here for every palice prick you floor :)
  • Options
    On a point of information, Millwall supporters and those in their locality didn't strike break in the 1926 general strike whilst West Ham stood firm. There is a Curbishley like myth that Millwall orientated workers were scabs at that time, so West Ham fans seize on that lie to try to get a sense of moral superiority, but they weren't scabs as any cursory research would show.
    Indeed the modern London Stadium malarkey establishes Millwall as a club right now, to be way ahead of West Ham in the morality stakes.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    On a point of information, Millwall supporters and those in their locality didn't strike break in the 1926 general strike whilst West Ham stood firm. There is a Curbishley like myth that Millwall orientated workers were scabs at that time, so West Ham fans seize on that lie to try to get a sense of moral superiority, but they weren't scabs as any cursory research would show.
    Indeed the modern London Stadium malarkey establishes Millwall as a club right now, to be way ahead of West Ham in the morality stakes.
    Yep, total myth that one. I think a few west ham fans heard a similar myth relating to Portsmouth and Southampton and made it their own, and it snow balled. They actually think it’s a fact now and talk about their old grandads hating the ‘Millwall scabs’. Total rubbish. Truth is at the time of the general strike we hadn’t long left the island and the docks on both sides of the Thames would have had plenty of Millwall working there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    You lost momentum? We finished 2nd, 4th and 3rd in Division 1 in the three seasons preceding World War 2. Fair to say that Hitler cost us at least one league title.
    That’s brutal. 

We was the 11th best supported club in the country in 1939 and one of the wealthiest, despite being in the second division. We was signing a couple of internationals and was on the verge of promotion to the top flight, when war broke out, according to my grandad it was nailed on, god rest his soul. 

During the blitz our ground got bombed and a week later a fire broke out in the main stand and it completely burnt it to the ground. 

SE London and the docks suffered disproportionately badly during the war. I read somewhere that Bermondsey was the most bombed part of London during the blitz. 

Can you imagine if WW2 never happened? It could well be that Charlton and Millwall would have ended up the Spurs/Arsenal of today, and those two could’ve been flipping between the championship and L1. 

Slidding doors moments in history. 

On the subject of best supported sides in the country, I would like to draw your attention to the following (BTW you need to go all the way down to 33rd to find Millwall 😂):-

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    You lost momentum? We finished 2nd, 4th and 3rd in Division 1 in the three seasons preceding World War 2. Fair to say that Hitler cost us at least one league title.
    That’s brutal. 

We was the 11th best supported club in the country in 1939 and one of the wealthiest, despite being in the second division. We was signing a couple of internationals and was on the verge of promotion to the top flight, when war broke out, according to my grandad it was nailed on, god rest his soul. 

During the blitz our ground got bombed and a week later a fire broke out in the main stand and it completely burnt it to the ground. 

SE London and the docks suffered disproportionately badly during the war. I read somewhere that Bermondsey was the most bombed part of London during the blitz. 

Can you imagine if WW2 never happened? It could well be that Charlton and Millwall would have ended up the Spurs/Arsenal of today, and those two could’ve been flipping between the championship and L1. 

On the subject of best supported sides in the country, I would like to draw your attention to the following (BTW you need to go all the way down to 33rd to find Millwall 😂):-

Did I read somewhere you got something like 19 thousand a couple of weeks before in a league game? 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    That’s brutal. 

Did I read somewhere you got something like 19 thousand a couple of weeks before in a league game? 
    I’m on the train at moment - let me get home, and consult the superb book ‘Home and Away with Charlton Athletic’ and I can find out

I can also list the 50,000 plus crowds at The Valley for you if you like (it’s quite a long list though, so bear with me 😉)
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    That’s brutal. 

I’m on the train at moment - let me get home, and consult the superb book ‘Home and Away with Charlton Athletic’ and I can find out

I can also list the 50,000 plus crowds at The Valley for you if you like (it’s quite a long list though, so bear with me 😉)
    I’m on tenterhooks 😆
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    That’s brutal. 

Just had a Google. That season you got 75k, a few weeks earlier v Liverpool you got 19k, a bit before that v Chelsea you got 50k and a few weeks before that v Grimsby you got 16k. That’s some crazy fluctuations in crowds.  
  • Options
    I am pretty sure I am correct - @Henry Irving I am sure can confirm this - but Charlton were one of the worst in terms of under reporting their attendances for many many years - so it’s likely that The Valley got near 100,000 at times
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    That’s brutal. 

Just had a Google. That season you got 75k, a few weeks earlier v Liverpool you got 19k, a bit before that v Chelsea you got 50k and a few weeks before that v Grimsby you got 16k. That’s some crazy fluctuations in crowds.  
    I blame West Ham fans….
  • Options
    Behave
    250,000 more like B)
  • Options
    And there I was thinking that not having to play Millwall for another season would mean we could not have the usual South London d!ck waving that we all enjoy each time we play them 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    That’s brutal. 

The low crowd for Grimsby is self explanatory 😂
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    That’s brutal. 

The low crowd for Grimsby is self explanatory 😂
    At a glance, also 17k v Leicester… 24k v Everton. Pretty average crowds for top flight football in that era. We was getting similar crowds the same season and we was two divisions below in the third division south. 

Then you’d play a local Derby or a cup game and your gates would treble or even quadruple. Strange 
  • Options
    Ok - this is NOT exhaustive, and I have had a fair few pints of Guinness - I start 36/37 season

68,160 vs Arsenal
    Average 31,086

37/38

55,078 vs Arsenal
    51,125 vs Chelsea
    75,031 vs Villa
    Average 28,336

38/39

51,479 vs Arsenal
    Average 25,617

45/46 (I have skipped war years)

50,000 vs Derby (suspiciously ‘clean’ number !!)
    (strangely only 38,450 vs Arsenal)
    Average 28,991

46/47

57,983 vs Arsenal
    Average 32,401

47/48

60,323 vs Arsenal
    58,866 vs Chelsea
    Average 36,248

48/49 

51,517 vs Arsenal
    56,294 vs Birmingham
    55,291 vs Man U
    56,711 vs Newcastle
    61,475 vs Pompey
    Average 40,216

49/50

51,615 vs Arsenal
    Average 34,567

50/51

63,539 vs Arsenal
    61,480 vs Spurs
    Average 29,293

51/52

57,031 vs Arsenal
    Average 27,609

52/53

66,555 vs Arsenal
    Average 25,298

53/54

60,259 vs Arsenal
    56,664 vs Blackpool
    Average 28,803

And after that ……. the decline began 😢

And before @MillwallFan comes back with how many Arsenal games are in that list, Millwall’s record attendance is 48,762, so not over 50,000, which Charlton - as we can see - have eclipsed many times

Thanking you
    Sort of proves my point, comparing your averages to biggest gates. Big fluctuations. 

My theory is there wasn’t many other forms of entertainment back then. People didn’t even have tv’s in their homes. So if there was a big cup game or local Derby, people from all over would attend, regardless of whether they was Charlton fans or not.  If the ground holds the numbers , which yours did, people would come. 

Football wasn’t so tribal then. Take my old grandad, he was fundamentally Millwall, but he just loved football and would go and watch it anywhere. If there was a big cup game somewhere else in London he would go and watch it. He used to go the valley, Stamford bridge, the Orient, all over. And of course you could just turn up and pay on the gate then. 
  • Options
    Ok - this is NOT exhaustive, and I have had a fair few pints of Guinness - I start 36/37 season

68,160 vs Arsenal
    Average 31,086

37/38

55,078 vs Arsenal
    51,125 vs Chelsea
    75,031 vs Villa
    Average 28,336

38/39

51,479 vs Arsenal
    Average 25,617

45/46 (I have skipped war years)

50,000 vs Derby (suspiciously ‘clean’ number !!)
    (strangely only 38,450 vs Arsenal)
    Average 28,991

46/47

57,983 vs Arsenal
    Average 32,401

47/48

60,323 vs Arsenal
    58,866 vs Chelsea
    Average 36,248

48/49 

51,517 vs Arsenal
    56,294 vs Birmingham
    55,291 vs Man U
    56,711 vs Newcastle
    61,475 vs Pompey
    Average 40,216

49/50

51,615 vs Arsenal
    Average 34,567

50/51

63,539 vs Arsenal
    61,480 vs Spurs
    Average 29,293

51/52

57,031 vs Arsenal
    Average 27,609

52/53

66,555 vs Arsenal
    Average 25,298

53/54

60,259 vs Arsenal
    56,664 vs Blackpool
    Average 28,803

And after that ……. the decline began 😢

And before @MillwallFan comes back with how many Arsenal games are in that list, Millwall’s record attendance is 48,762, so not over 50,000, which Charlton - as we can see - have eclipsed many times

Thanking you
    Sort of proves my point, comparing your averages to biggest gates. Big fluctuations. 

My theory is there wasn’t many other forms of entertainment back then. People didn’t even have tv’s in their homes. So if there was a big cup game or local Derby, people from all over would attend, regardless of whether they was Charlton fans or not.  If the ground holds the numbers , which yours did, people would come. 

Football wasn’t so tribal then. Take my old grandad, he was fundamentally Millwall, but he just loved football and would go and watch it anywhere. If there was a big cup game somewhere else in London he would go and watch it. He used to go the valley, Stamford bridge, the Orient, all over. And of course you could just turn up and pay on the gate then. 

My wife's dad was a Millwall fan, his dad a Charlton fan - they lived in New Cross/Deptford and used to go to The Den one week and The Valley the next. So I agree, tribalism wasn't as widespread as now.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    Millwall were started by well off factory workers, partially subsidised by the bosses and supported by a rich pub landlord.
    Fecking posh boy Tories.
    Charlton we’re founded by scrawny scruffy kids without a pot to piss in having a kick about in London’s meanest streets, where their only senior help came from the local community and a fish and chip shop owner spotting the ribs showing through the players shirts and wanting to feed them up.
    No surprise Charlton were founded in 1905, the year of the first Russian Revolution.
    Is that why we wear red? Also, our biggest crowds and most successful league seasons coincided with Stalin's purges. I'm wondering now if having having CSKA Moscow as my second club is entirely coincidental.