Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the playoffs?

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd keep Leko, Famewo and Lee - they are definitely not the problem
    I don’t think so either, but I don’t get the feeling they look part of a team that can win promotion.  

Most probably because they’re playing among a team incapable of winning promotion, but it’s just a gut feel I have with all of them

I guess you can say, we need to see where and how we finish to assess who goes and who stays, and there’s the argument that the team under Jackson could finish the equivalent of top 6 had he had them all season (we’ll only find that out in May).  However, I just have a dodgy feeling we’re gonna tread water again re: the squad and we’ll all be saying similar stuff this time next year, if we don’t take big bold moves, including assessing whether or not even our considered ‘better’ players are promotion worthy 
    Spot on.
  • Options
    i disagree with that logic - they are 3 of our better players and if our better players aren't promotion worthy then we are in a whole heap of shit coz by that logic we will need to replace the entire 22 in the summer to stand any chance - keep your best and add to them has to be the way forward - our problem is we have 2 or 3 positions where 1 injury and we are knackered but have a load of non contributing 'resource drains' in other positions - a bit of adjustment is needed, not a wholesale cull.  
  • Options
    famewo is easily championship standard - he bullies most league 1 strikers , Leko has proved himself as very capable in the championship and Lee has been promoted out of league 1  
  • Options
    No ... mid table mediocrity 
  • Options
    It’s all about the cups now. A trip to Wembley in the Papa Johns trophy & a win over struggling Norwich are needed…to give us something to look forward to & prevent the season petering out into sheer nothingness.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I think what I’ll do now is, support Man City for this season and then see where we’re at with the summer signings. If they’re not looking great I’ll pretend the last 30 odd years didn’t happen and tell everyone my Grandad was from Manchester. Then in a few years time I would’ve worked on my Geordie accent enough to make the transition over to being a Newcastle fan. Job done. Except my Grandad plan would then become an issue… I’ve not thought this one through. 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    I think what I’ll do now is, support Man City for this season and then see where we’re at with the summer signings. If they’re not looking great I’ll pretend the last 30 odd years didn’t happen and tell everyone my Grandad was from Manchester. Then in a few years time I would’ve worked on my Geordie accent enough to make the transition over to being a Newcastle fan. Job done. Except my Grandad plan would then become an issue… I’ve not thought this one through. 
    Two granddads…
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    famewo is easily championship standard - he bullies most league 1 strikers , Leko has proved himself as very capable in the championship and Lee has been promoted out of league 1  
    I hope so.  Famewo had a great performance against Plymouth at home the other month, he was like a man mountain.  However, I remember watching him up at Lincoln, he couldn’t keep the ball on the pitch every time he went to distribute it.  I appreciate that was under Adkins and we were at rock bottom.

You’re probably right.  I’m just letting being in this league now and the last season and a half cloud my judgement with some of them.  As you say, Lee, part of Luton team that got promoted.  I also remember Leko being decent in the championship, but I thought we would’ve seen more from him so far this season.  Again, he had a period out injured.

It’s hard for me at the moment because of where we are.  We’ve turned in some decent performances under Jackson, but some average ones too.  Which is why I’m unsure whether or not our better players are capable of getting us up
  • Options
    Before that run of poor away results I thought we might. 
    Not any more. A cup run would be a consolation, but without some serious transfer action it’s going to be tough escaping this league. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    cabbles said:
    And if we’re serious about making the play offs or any higher next year, now is the time to be ruthless about clearing the decks in the summer 

Pearce - offer him a coaching role only
    Gunter - release 
    Watson - release 
    Morgan - release 
    Kirk - send out on loan or put on transfer list unless big turnaround 
    Matthews/Purrington - look for better 
    JFC - unsure what to do here given he’s unlikely to be back in the team for very long for the rest of this season 
    DJ - jury still out for me.  Shows some good moments, but I don’t look at him and think, he’ll get us out this league

Of the loans, I’m not sure on whether I’m that fussed about Leko or Famewo staying.  They’re both okay.  Elliott Lee is okay, but am I seeing someone that week in, week out could do the business.

I got bored of typing the same old stuff over the summer about a clear out despite just missing out on the play offs.  I didn’t think the squad was good enough despite a lot of others saying we just need one or two more.  I pray we don’t do something similar again this summer.  It will be Groundhog Day.  We need a fresh start a’la Powell’s makeover in the summer of 2011.

I’m also weary of bringing anyone in in Jan.  The season’s dead.  Let the current crop show they want to be here next season and fight for a place in the team.  It will be hard to find quality in Jan, and if they aren’t going to make a massive difference, don’t bother 

Closest player we’ve had to that recently was Conor Gallagher and those players are as rare as hen’s teeth. Don’t see it as a reason for getting rid. Think DJ’s been one of our better players all season. Leko also looked a class above yesterday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:
    And if we’re serious about making the play offs or any higher next year, now is the time to be ruthless about clearing the decks in the summer 

Gunter - release 
    Watson - release 
    Morgan - release 
    JFC - unsure what to do here given he’s unlikely to be back in the team for very long for the rest of this season 
    DJ - jury still out for me.  Shows some good moments, but I don’t look at him and think, he’ll get us out this league

Of the loans, I’m not sure on whether I’m that fussed about Leko or Famewo staying.  They’re both okay.  Elliott Lee is okay, but am I seeing someone that week in, week out could do the business.

I got bored of typing the same old stuff over the summer about a clear out despite just missing out on the play offs.  I didn’t think the squad was good enough despite a lot of others saying we just need one or two more.  I pray we don’t do something similar again this summer.  It will be Groundhog Day.  We need a fresh start a’la Powell’s makeover in the summer of 2011.

I’m also weary of bringing anyone in in Jan.  The season’s dead.  Let the current crop show they want to be here next season and fight for a place in the team.  It will be hard to find quality in Jan, and if they aren’t going to make a massive difference, don’t bother 

Closest player we’ve had to that recently was Conor Gallagher and those players are as rare as hen’s teeth. Don’t see it as a reason for getting rid. Think DJ’s been one of our better players all season. Leko also looked a class above yesterday. 
    Leko is a good impact sub but much like our entire side yesterday, despite the manifest work rate, we lack creativity .  A big part of the issue is that we can only really attack down the right and if DJ is nullified , we have nobody doing a similar job on the left (albeit Purrington put in one good cross yesterday - arguably his first all season).  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cabbles said:

Gunter - release 
    Watson - release 
    Morgan - release 

Leko is a good impact sub but much like our entire side yesterday, despite the manifest work rate, we lack creativity .  A big part of the issue is that we can only really attack down the right and if DJ is nullified , we have nobody doing a similar job on the left (albeit Purrington put in one good cross yesterday - arguably his first all season).  
    Soare put in a couple of great crosses in the previous home game. A glimpse of why he once played at a higher level maybe. 
    Feels like we’ve put in hundreds of crosses this season and failed to on the end of the vast majority. Very frustrating. Every cross yesterday seemed to end up on a Wycombe head. 
  • Options
    Book your holidays in May this year. Get some good bargains in the Canary Islands and lovely weather as well
  • Options
    No way play offs now but just build a good side and take each game to achieve it and be ready for august to hit the ground running
  • Options
    Holiday booked for May …if by some miracle we make playoffs I am sure it will be on TV - we kept Adkins to long - let’s plan for 22/23 
  • Options
    a while ago I said yes .. now ? .. no

So that will mean you'll have to predict Charlton losing games.
    mmmm .. that is a problem .. I think we'll keep winning but still not catch the teams that are the current 'pace setters' who will also keep winning .. how's that for  a dodgy cop out compromise ? 
  • Options
    a while ago I said yes .. now ? .. no

So that will mean you'll have to predict Charlton losing games.
    mmmm .. that is a problem .. I think we'll keep winning but still not catch the teams that are the current 'pace setters' who will also keep winning .. how's that for  a dodgy cop out compromise ? 
    With the greatest of respect, blind faith is very annoying.
  • Options
    Best rename this thread "Can we survive relegation". With Morecambe winning then we are now 7 points off the bottom 4 compared with 14 points off the top 6.

Think it speaks for itself. 

And btw.......Morecambe were 3-0 & have turned it around to win 4-3. We can't even come back from going 1-0. Our last 3 defeats have been 1-0. Says it all. 

• Options
    And most of the sides behind us have games in hand. Another couple of bad results and we will certainly be looking over our shoulders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best rename this thread "Can we survive relegation". With Morecambe winning then we are now 7 points off the bottom 4 compared with 14 points off the top 6.

And btw.......Morecambe were 3-0 & have turned it around to win 4-3. We can't even come back from going 1-0. Our last 3 defeats have been 1-0. Says it all. 

Morecambe have done a triple Golfy 
  • Options
    I'd be happy with top half now, put a sizeable wager on us finishing in the top twelve just before Jacko made permanent boss. Rather over confidently thought it was as good as printing money...am now hovering nervously over the cash out button!
  • Options
    When Hull City lifted the title at the Valley in May.
    I can’t forget how positive Nigel Adkins was for this season. He suggested come the end of this season we would also be celebrating our own promotion.

Promotion is a nothing but a dream.
    This season has turned into an absolute car crash of a season.

2 January, and we are closer to relegation than we are to the top 6.

Everything has gone wrong. A terrible summer transfer policy.
    Money pissed down the drain on some atrocious summer signings.

I have written this season off, and just hope that we can avoid relegation.

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I give you Famewo but Leko and Lee would struggle in the championship. Luton are mid table and Lee was not seen as fitting into their plans.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Way too depressing in here after two 1-0 losses to top six opposition. There are still sixty-six points up for grabs.

We have left ourselves a lot to do but our next three are against Crewe, Cheltenham and Fleetwood. Less than six points from those three and I will be firmly on the “not this season” train.

But until then, it’s still a 2 points per game target.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Tell that to a Birmingham fan and see what they think? 0 goals in 38 games.
  • Options

Morecambe have done a triple Golfy 
    Donny were 3-0 up when Bogle went off.... 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    I give you Famewo but Leko and Lee would struggle in the championship. Luton are mid table and Lee was not seen as fitting into their plans.
    Good point re Lee & Leko. In Powell's League One squad overhaul he targeted players that had the potential to step-up to The Championship and The Premier League.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i agree with u on Lee but we are talking about getting out of league 1, not prospering in the championship - he doesn't have the physical attributes for the the next level up unfortunately - Leko - jury out but definitely good enough in a league 1 promotion squad -  rotate him with Elliot Lee and bring 2 more strikers in
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Tell that to a Birmingham fan and see what they think? 0 goals in 38 games.
    i don't see him as a goalscorer - he was effective for us in the champ as a bit of a wild card to create space / opportunities