Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton photographer with cerebral palsy verbally abused

Comments

• Options
    “this generation”to me just means this generation are more likely to stab you 
  • Options
    What a sad story, I hope Tom is okay and this doesn't affect him too much. If you're reading  keep doing what you do mate and you can achieve whatever you want. You've overcome so many challenges already and are clearly a successful lad. The kids that abused you won't achieve half as much in their lives, I guarantee it. COYA
  • Options
    On the subject of confronting these people...that's a difficult one and hard to say what you'd do until you are actually there witnessing something. I won't lie, I've walked past things happening late at night and just looked after myself on a few occasions. I've also stepped in and rescued people being ganged up on a few times. Have no regrets about anything I did or didn't do on each occasion tbh. It's sad that people are scared to step in for fear of being turned on, but that's the London we live in unfortunately. 
  • Options
    If I were in circumstances where I was a victim, although I wouldn't expect it, I would be very happy if a stranger decided to have my back.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    If I were in circumstances where I was a victim, although I wouldn't expect it, I would be very happy if a stranger decided to have my back.
    Absolutely Seth I think we all would feel the same.
  • Options
    I seem to remember KB was a police officer.
    My lifetimes work has been with teenagers so familiarity make me less daunted by them
    May I add at this point that the vast majority of the teenagers I have known, the vast majority, notwithstanding their hormonal challenges, would be people I would be proud to call my own children.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My lifetimes work has been with teenagers so familiarity make me less daunted by them
    May I add at this point that the vast majority of the teenagers I have known, the vast majority, notwithstanding their hormonal challenges, would be people I would be proud to call my own children.
    I don't think anyone is disputing there are good people about, of all ages, but this conversation is focusing more on the ones who are inclined to bully others or worse
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Not daunted...it's called being a bit street wise and risk assessing situations in the current climate when kids are killing each other weekly over petty slights.

Is it worth risk being stabbed over some scumbags being abhorrently verbally abusive to someone, probably not in this day and age.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:
    An unrelated story but after 28 years in the fire service I got to help with an arrest last night. We took a wpc in our pump to catch someone she was after.  In my head the theme from The Sweeney was on a loop, shame I wasn't allowed to taser him.
    You wouldn't even allowed to squirt water from the hose at em in the UK mate
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    I don't think anyone is disputing there are good people about, of all ages, but this conversation is focusing more on the ones who are inclined to bully others or worse
    I am not disputing what you say other than trying to guard against any unfortunate stereotyping.
    If six teenagers are involved in harassment, they are all bad, but not necessarily equally vile, some get caught up in stuff because they themselves might be fearful of consequences if they don't go along with the majority.
    This has been an upsetting debate, but also an interesting one when considering the role of a bystander.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    I am not disputing what you say other than trying to guard against any unfortunate stereotyping.
    If six teenagers are involved in harassment, they are all bad, but not necessarily equally vile, some get caught up in stuff because they themselves might be fearful of consequences if they don't go along with the majority.
    This has been an upsetting debate, but also an interesting one when considering the role of a bystander.
    People who abuse disabled people on buses or don't call out their mates who do so are wrong uns. 

Wrong uns are more likely to carry knives/ not respect anyone or anything unlike the millions of decent teenagers out there.

Not sure what stereotyping has been alluded to on this thread unless I've missed it. No one is saying all youngsters are bad.

On my part at least I'm referring to the scum abusing people.

• Options
    cfgs said:
    An unrelated story but after 28 years in the fire service I got to help with an arrest last night. We took a wpc in our pump to catch someone she was after.  In my head the theme from The Sweeney was on a loop, shame I wasn't allowed to taser him.
    You could have hosed him.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    That's the whole point though isnt it. We all think kids dont give a fuck but why is that ? My own thoughts are that they know that nothing will happen as a consequence of their actions. Can u imagine kids 20 years ago even contemplating behaving like this in public ? There is a lack of morality in so many of this generation that they could even remotely think shit like this is acceptable 
    Please, can we stop with the “this generation” crap. I can certainly imagine this happening in the 70’s. Kids abusing people with mental or physical disabilities isn’t new and it isn’t restricted to kids. 

Blaming the younger generation is just a way of avoiding blaming our generations for allowing this to happen. After all it’s our generations that raised these kids and their parents. 
    That really surprises me mate. I was born in the 60's so the 70's were my teenage years, these years were spent in Charlton/Woolwich and I cant imagine this would have happened in a public place, if it had someone without doubt would have stepped in and stopped it as there wouldnt even have been the thought that you may end up stabbed ! And you are correct that it is our generation that has brought these kids up but in my personal defense I have brought my 6 kids up to have respect for other people and a respect for the society we all live in. You think these cretins have the same values ? There are no excuses for their behaviour mate you can try all you like
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    People who abuse disabled people on buses or don't call out their mates who do so are wrong uns. 

Wrong uns are more likely to carry knives/ not respect anyone or anything unlike the millions of decent teenagers out there.

Not sure what stereotyping has been alluded to on this thread unless I've missed it. No one is saying all youngsters are bad.

On my part at least I'm referring to the scum abusing people.

Absolutely no stereotyping at all from us. We are talking about teenage boys that ARE abusing someone, not about who COULD abuse someone.
  • Options
    Sorry but I would always intervene.
    Its the way I was brought up.
    Doubt that will ever change all the while I have a tongue in my head.

I really don’t understand how one could not.

I see Tom is at the Womens game today. Some great photos coming out.
    The lad should be applauded from on high for not letting these pond life drag him down 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    I’m a 6ft 2” fairly athletic built man that’s had a few scraps but I would 100% think twice about trying to intervene where 6-7 rude boys/street rats were involved. South East London is rough as fuck and these kids don’t like being embarrassed in front of their ‘mates’, especially by some random on a bus. That does not make for a promising situation.
    And?
    No different to when I got on a bus everyday in South East London as a kid/adult.
    What? Were knives not about in the 80’s? Of course they were.
    You and me are different, that’s all.
    And I don’t understand it 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    That's the whole point though isnt it. We all think kids dont give a fuck but why is that ? My own thoughts are that they know that nothing will happen as a consequence of their actions. Can u imagine kids 20 years ago even contemplating behaving like this in public ? There is a lack of morality in so many of this generation that they could even remotely think shit like this is acceptable 
    Please, can we stop with the “this generation” crap. I can certainly imagine this happening in the 70’s. Kids abusing people with mental or physical disabilities isn’t new and it isn’t restricted to kids. 

Blaming the younger generation is just a way of avoiding blaming our generations for allowing this to happen. After all it’s our generations that raised these kids and their parents. 
    That really surprises me mate. I was born in the 60's so the 70's were my teenage years, these years were spent in Charlton/Woolwich and I cant imagine this would have happened in a public place, if it had someone without doubt would have stepped in and stopped it as there wouldnt even have been the thought that you may end up stabbed ! And you are correct that it is our generation that has brought these kids up but in my personal defense I have brought my 6 kids up to have respect for other people and a respect for the society we all live in. You think these cretins have the same values ? There are no excuses for their behaviour mate you can try all you like
    I’m not making any excuse for their behavior. I just get annoyed when people apply the behavior of a few people to an entire generation, and imply they are the first generation to do something.  The fact that you exclude your kids from this simply proves my point.  

In any generation there are a small number who do bad things, but that group do not represent the generation as a whole. 

• Options

The lad should be applauded from on high for not letting these pond life drag him down 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    I’m a 6ft 2” fairly athletic built man that’s had a few scraps but I would 100% think twice about trying to intervene where 6-7 rude boys/street rats were involved. South East London is rough as fuck and these kids don’t like being embarrassed in front of their ‘mates’, especially by some random on a bus. That does not make for a promising situation.
    And?
    No different to when I got on a bus everyday in South East London as a kid/adult.
    Fucking hell, calm down. You ain’t on a bus now 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

I’m not making any excuse for their behavior. I just get annoyed when people apply the behavior of a few people to an entire generation, and imply they are the first generation to do something.  The fact that you exclude your kids from this simply proves my point.  

In any generation there are a small number who do bad things, but that group do not represent the generation as a whole. 

Nobody is saying it is an entire generation ofcourse it isnt. But the fact is that this is becoming more of an issue and that is beyond debate. Look at the murders and other stabbings/shootings going on within that generation. What I'm saying is there is a developing lack of morality and respect that has its roots in many things, lack of parental guidance, lack of education, lack of role models. Many other things I'm sure and I'm not pretending to have the answer but something needs to change 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Nobody is saying it is an entire generation ofcourse it isnt. But the fact is that this is becoming more of an issue and that is beyond debate. Look at the murders and other stabbings/shootings going on within that generation. What I'm saying is there is a developing lack of morality and respect that has its roots in many things, lack of parental guidance, lack of education, lack of role models. Many other things I'm sure and I'm not pretending to have the answer but something needs to change 
    One parent families, with an inordinate lack and complete absence of male input.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Respect is something not seen much nowadays, particularly in youngsters.
  • Options

And?
    of course they were, but 'kids' didn't wave them about and use them quite so brazenly as they do now.

I remember going back about 20 years ago when I was on my way home from work drunk on a train about 11pm....got off at Eltham and was walking home and saw 2 women in front of me being abused by 5 'kids', can't have been more than 16/17. I'm about 5 10" and about 11 stone wringing wet - I intervened and walked with the women - the abuse continued to the point where I turned round to confront the 5 (stupidly but the beer coat was on)......next thing I remember was waking up in an ambulance from a proper kick in, I was lucky as I'm pretty sure in this day and age they'd have had knives
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I hope you at least shouted ‘you’re nicked’ at him 
  • Options
    Hope the police recover some good cctv of that and publish the images of these scumbags far and wide. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:

Comments like that on social media where people say “these days” when commenting on crime is really annoying. Yes, crimes are horrible but they are not a new thing. Some people don’t know about history it seems..
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    I hope you at least shouted ‘you’re nicked’ at him 
    and

"you shlaaag"
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    cfgs said:
    You wouldn't even allowed to squirt water from the hose at em in the UK mate
    We're not. If we did,hit them in their little faces and removed their eyeballs then we would be in a whole heap of shit. Even if we got them wet we'd have some explaining to do. I did it 'accidently' one bonfire night a few years ago,i was putting out a rather large bonfire that the little cherubs had lit in a play park and they were throwing fireworks at us. They threw an extremely large aeriel bomb into the fire right in front of me,it promptly exploded,luckily i had my helmet visor down. They found it hilarious. A 45mm jet in their general direction stopped them laughing,they all got a fucking good soaking. I got a bollocking but it was worth it.
    Most kids know they have the upper hand now so it must have been a bit of a shock when the 'accident' happened. I hope they didn't get too wet ...😁