Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goodbye Bumble

Former England cricketer and celebrated commentator David Lloyd retired from commentary duties with broadcaster Sky Sports on Tuesday, a month after he apologised to Azeem Rafiq and the Asian community over racism row at county club Yorkshire. Lloyd was named in Rafiq's testimony about a culture of widespread racism in the county team.

Lloyd, nonetheless, was one of the most-followed commentators, having spent 22 years behind the microphone for Sky Cricket. He joined the commentary team in 1999 and became a mainstay there, calling some of the biggest cricket series, including The Ashes.

David Lloyd, famously called as "Bumble", took to social media to post a heartfelt note, thanking his fans for the support over the years for his work behind the microphone.

I’m personally gutted tbh but knew he couldn’t stay.

Thanks for the memories Bumble 👍🏼♥️

Comments

• Oh boy……he was one of the great joys in life……gonna miss him very very much.
    I’m really gutted.
  • seth plum said:
    Great accent but made racist remarks.
    Replaceable as a commentator.
    Replaceable….you are kidding I take it???
  • Loved Bumble, he made watching cricket  so much more enjoyable with his humour and his knowledge of the game
  • seth plum said:
    Replaceable….you are kidding I take it???
    He’s probably not but I’d pay no attention.
    I’m as gutted as you are.
    I had already not enjoyed the commentary whilst he couldn’t do it during lockdowns.

Cricket really isn’t going to be the same for me 😞
  • seth plum said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6rRNANSgI
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad he apologised for some backward and ultimately racist views, and it was almost certainly sincere. But the timing is right and I'll be intrigued to see who steps up. Hope he has a happy retirement.
  • Great character
  • Good riddance - irritating and incredibly unfunny. Bring back Gower and Holding.
  • arny23394 said:
    Good riddance - irritating and incredibly unfunny. Bring back Gower and Holding.
    Crikey 😳

Goes to show doesn’t it. Holding I loved. Gower I found incredibly dull & pompous.

Funny old world ain’t it 🤷‍♀️
  • another one bites the woken dust
  • No real characters will be left on sky soon.
  • How was he involved in the rafiq testimony?
  • Sponsored links:

• He was always great as the "doesnt take himself too seriously" character. I'll certainly miss him on comms for sure.

The bigger recent loss IMO is Michael Holding. A true great commentator - one of the overwhelming memories of my childhood is him saying "runs" as someone creams a beautiful cover drive to the boundary.
    This. 'A lickle tickle to gully' is one of the most beautiful-sounding sentences ever uttered. A wonderful man - principled, intelligent, forthright and immensely likeable. Loved Bumble too, but Holding for me was the ultimate cricket commentator, along with Richie Benaud.
  • He was always great as the "doesnt take himself too seriously" character. I'll certainly miss him on comms for sure.

The bigger recent loss IMO is Michael Holding. A true great commentator - one of the overwhelming memories of my childhood is him saying "runs" as someone creams a beautiful cover drive to the boundary.
    This. 'A lickle tickle to gully' is one of the most beautiful-sounding sentences ever uttered. A wonderful man - principled, intelligent, forthright and immensely likeable. Loved Bumble too, but Holding for me was the ultimate cricket commentator, along with Richie Benaud.

He was a half-decent bowler as well ;-)

Mikey is missed more than any.
  • 2121 said:
    How was he involved in the rafiq testimony?
    He was accused of trying to smear rafiq to the media, also made comments like trying to get Asian players to pay their subs is like getting blood out of a stone

• bobmunro said:
    He was always great as the "doesnt take himself too seriously" character. I'll certainly miss him on comms for sure.

He was a half-decent bowler as well ;-)

Mikey is missed more than any.
    So bugger off & start a thread for him then.

😜

I consider myself told off!

To the naughty step I go.
  • Former England cricketer and celebrated commentator David Lloyd retired from commentary duties with broadcaster Sky Sports on Tuesday, a month after he apologised to Azeem Rafiq and the Asian community over racism row at county club Yorkshire. Lloyd was named in Rafiq's testimony about a culture of widespread racism in the county team.

Lloyd, nonetheless, was one of the most-followed commentators, having spent 22 years behind the microphone for Sky Cricket. He joined the commentary team in 1999 and became a mainstay there, calling some of the biggest cricket series, including The Ashes.

David Lloyd, famously called as "Bumble", took to social media to post a heartfelt note, thanking his fans for the support over the years for his work behind the microphone.

I’m personally gutted tbh but knew he couldn’t stay.

Thanks for the memories Bumble 👍🏼♥️

Thought this thread was abot leaving the dating app... must admit I'm not that impressed with it...
  • Start the car…