Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goodbye Bumble

Comments

• Options
    CafcWest said:

Former England cricketer and celebrated commentator David Lloyd retired from commentary duties with broadcaster Sky Sports on Tuesday, a month after he apologised to Azeem Rafiq and the Asian community over racism row at county club Yorkshire. Lloyd was named in Rafiq's testimony about a culture of widespread racism in the county team.

Lloyd, nonetheless, was one of the most-followed commentators, having spent 22 years behind the microphone for Sky Cricket. He joined the commentary team in 1999 and became a mainstay there, calling some of the biggest cricket series, including The Ashes.

David Lloyd, famously called as "Bumble", took to social media to post a heartfelt note, thanking his fans for the support over the years for his work behind the microphone.

I’m personally gutted tbh but knew he couldn’t stay.

Thanks for the memories Bumble 👍🏼♥️

Thought this thread was abot leaving the dating app... must admit I'm not that impressed with it...
    I had to google that shit……..wtf, I’m very old 😳😂😂😂
  • Options
    It's funny how opinions differ, I didn't like Bumble's contributions at all, in fact I'd often silence the audio when he came on.
    I'm not a fan of Atherton or Nasser either, although I like Ian Ward and Rob Key. I think Isha and Ebony are also very good as is Mark Butcher.  Good luck to Bumble in his retirement.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Great accent but made racist remarks.

Sounds like you, although I've no idea what your accent is like
    You are wrong.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Without going into the racist row it is a great pity that Bumble will be no more on the airwaves. I wish him well as one of the best along with Arlott & Johnson. 
    Arlott,  Johnson and Blowers?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:

Sounds like you, although I've no idea what your accent is like
    You are wrong.
    I think not
  • Options
    Without going into the racist row it is a great pity that Bumble will be no more on the airwaves. I wish him well as one of the best along with Arlott & Johnson. 
    Arlott,  Johnson and Blowers?
    John Arlott - possibly before your time? There was also Richie Benaud - the best
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Replaceable as a commentator.
    Like someone else 
  • Options
    Really enjoyed listening to him commentating. Shame he is leaving but not surprising.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No LL, I remember the gravelly voice of John Arlott as if it was yesterday.  Apparently, co-commentators knew when JL was arriving before play by the sound of chinking bottles in his carry bag.  As for my age I passed a medical for my 80th yesterday - coming up April - should have put that on the “nice thing happened today” thread.
    I remember laying on the settee, closing my eyes and listening to the pleasing thud of leather on willow, gentle applause and John Arlott describing the position of the Sun and the size of the gas holders at the Oval.  Pure poetry.

• Options
    No LL, I remember the gravelly voice of John Arlott as if it was yesterday.  Apparently, co-commentators knew when JL was arriving before play by the sound of chinking bottles in his carry bag.  As for my age I passed a medical for my 80th yesterday - coming up April - should have put that on the “nice thing happened today” thread.
    Well done mate, I hope many more years for you to come.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    "Look over there its Keysie by the burger van." He loved a mickey take and he was on the end of a fair amount himself.
    Good luck Bumble.
  • Options
    Michael Holding has given a couple of powerful interviews about racism, and racism in Cricket. As woke simply means anti racist, some would describe him as woke. His interview indicated racism is still a problem.
    Some on here have mentioned liking Michael Holding when he is broadcasting during games, similar to some mentioning liking David Lloyd broadcasting during games.
  • Options
    Not my favourite test commentator but imo he has been a big help in raising the profile of domestic 20/20 to the tv audience.
    The mascot race will never be the same.
  • Options
    I suppose you could call DL the commentary box comedian but that would detract enormously from his knowledge and his service to the game. I wish him a long and happy retirement .One of the very best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love Bumble. His book "the world according to Bumble" is well worth a read
  • Options
    Test player, first class umpire, international coach, commentator.  I hope his unparalleled experience and knowledge isn't wasted.  But I wish him a long and very happy retirement.  
  • Options
    He will be missed. Happy retirement Bumble 
  • Options
    I thought from the heading, that he had expired and gone to meet his maker, rather than just retired thankfully.
  • Options
    One of the enjoyable things about watching cricket on TV is the commentary, none of the hysteria, hyperbole and bullshit that a lot of football commentary falls into (apart from the current Ashes coverage from Oz that is).

Like the greatest of them all, Richie Benaud, correcting a colleague said, “The Titanic was a disaster, this is a game of cricket”.

Sad that two of the best have moved on this year, no more will we hear Mikey greet the heavy roller with “Time to crush some ants”, and Bumble explain the health benefits of shellfish -“puts lead in your pencil”. And, not forgetting, most importantly, they knew the game inside out. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Michael Holding has given a couple of powerful interviews about racism, and racism in Cricket. As woke simply means anti racist, some would describe him as woke. His interview indicated racism is still a problem.
    Some on here have mentioned liking Michael Holding when he is broadcasting during games, similar to some mentioning liking David Lloyd broadcasting during games.
    How on earth does 'woke simply means anti-racist'?
  • Options
    A great shame . More entertaining than the cricket for the most part.  Good luck Bumble  .
  • Options
    Wouldn't be a total surprise to hear him turn up at Talksport or BT Sport
    At 74 he might just be retiring
    As written, the transcripts attributed to him in the Rafiq affair are damning.
    Not that he'll be remotely bothered, he's got all that money coming in from his fitness business.