Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    Will put my neck on the line and say if we sign Fraser he will be a significant upgrade on Lee.

Would hope we play him alongside Gilbey and Dobson. That midfield trio would have a bit of everything and if they can gel you would think they should be the best midfield in the league next season.
    Here we go again. 
    Can you name a league one trio with more quality than those 3? Of course we need them to gel first and signing him now gives 6 months to do that.
  • Will put my neck on the line and say if we sign Fraser he will be a significant upgrade on Lee.

Would hope we play him alongside Gilbey and Dobson. That midfield trio would have a bit of everything and if they can gel you would think they should be the best midfield in the league next season.
    Oh please, have you been watching this season, and not on player manager I mean?🤣
  • Fraser seems a strange signing - every midfielder we get in seems to underperform.
    that seems to be an issue in most positions lately .. in midfield .. Dobson took a while to settle, I'd say he's ok a t m .. Gilbey .. good on his day .. Lee .. same as Gilbey .. part of the problem must be that there are issues of general fitness and a flawed policy around new signings .. are they made with a specific way of playing in mind, or in the hope that they will come good once they pull  on the Charlton shirt ?
  • wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bit late now I think, but I’d be happy if we signed a half decent player whose main quality was being a real fighter, someone to galvanise the team and get them playing again. Most sides who have done well against us seem to have had one of those in midfield. Maybe someone like a Pell, who’s hard working, a bit nasty, and who has the added bonus of taking a great free kick. Perhaps even pluck one from L2. Would certainly be useful if the season ends up as a relegation battle. 
    Levitt, Smith, Smith, Field and others seemed ok on paper, but lacked a bit of fight. Of course would love a Gallagher, Cullen or Bielik, but they were summer signings. 
    Perhaps Nile John will fit the bill, we’ll find out soon I guess. 
    We don't lack fight; we lack quality. 
    I think we do lack fight. Quality is variable, but we looked decent enough when they were fighting for JJ to get the job. 
  • A midfield three of Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser would be the best in the League IMO.
  • Will put my neck on the line and say if we sign Fraser he will be a significant upgrade on Lee.

Really? Our midfield currently gets dominated nearly every game with 2/3 of next seasons best midfield - can’t see it personally.

Remember, Fraser isn't a '10'. He's an '8' like Gilbey.

Something like that.  :smile:

• Fraser is the player we should have signed in the summer.  He was excellent when he played against us last season.

but we do need another striker and possibly a rwb, though i suppose once Lavelle is fit again we can put Clare in rwb too so its less of a requirement
  • Fraser has the potential to be a lower league Andy Reid for us.  I’m excited
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bit late now I think, but I’d be happy if we signed a half decent player whose main quality was being a real fighter, someone to galvanise the team and get them playing again. Most sides who have done well against us seem to have had one of those in midfield. Maybe someone like a Pell, who’s hard working, a bit nasty, and who has the added bonus of taking a great free kick. Perhaps even pluck one from L2. Would certainly be useful if the season ends up as a relegation battle. 
    Levitt, Smith, Smith, Field and others seemed ok on paper, but lacked a bit of fight. Of course would love a Gallagher, Cullen or Bielik, but they were summer signings. 
    Perhaps Nile John will fit the bill, we’ll find out soon I guess. 
    We don't lack fight; we lack quality. 
    I think we do lack fight. Quality is variable, but we looked decent enough when they were fighting for JJ to get the job. 
    very strange isn't it .. familiarity breeding (I won't say contempt) complacency ?
  • A midfield three of Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser would be the best in the League IMO.
    I don't think Gilbey gets into any best midfield in the league, personally. He has not shown any consistent form for us.
  • cafcwill said:
    Fraser is the player we should have signed in the summer.  He was excellent when he played against us last season.

but we do need another striker and possibly a rwb, though i suppose once Lavelle is fit again we can put Clare in rwb too so its less of a requirement
    Lots of players look excellent when they play against us.😁😁
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    Ipswich fans on Fraser https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/529223/2nd-charlton-bid-for-fraser

Created 31 chances for Ipswich, more than any other player, though it probably includes set pieces https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

Having read that and the other links posted it seems the question marks are over his fitness, work rate, athleticism etc. However any creative CM at this level is going to lack something in their game, perhaps alongside two mobile energetic players in Dobson and Gilbey (or John?) we'll have a good balance and will be able to support a player like Fraser. The player in that role needs to produce more than Lee has been.

If Castillo settles in well having pace and more of a threat (other than attacking the far post) than Purrington will make a difference too. As will having Chuks up front over Davison or Leko.
    Isn't this a problem we have already in our midfield ?  I would prefer we signed a midfielder that has those traits, with some pace and ability to take the opposition on and open them up. 
    No problem sir. That’ll be £1M, thank you very much. Cheap at the price. 
    Well we have wasted  half of that on one player who's already been shipped out whilst the overall effect of our last season and a half is we are not in the mix for top 6 where we need to be. So just maybe its a false economy to keep paying out for players on smaller fees (250K) as been reported and still not have the engine that makes it work.    
    I know what you’re saying. In fact one or two very high quality players can drag the level of other players upwards a few notches. 
  • I hope Nile John can play upfront or wingback as he appears to have been written out of our midfield already : - )
  • The fee for Fraser is the (relatively) easy bit. Ipswich are paying their players so much it’s warped the market, so you’d assume he’d have to take a pay cut to come here.
    Clubs speak to agents before they make a bid so they know what the player looking for … 
  • arny23394 said:
    I refuse to get excited about Fraser - the last two signings that excited me were Maddison & Kirk - both useless.
    Maddison was going to tear up L1.
  • I hope Nile John can play upfront or wingback as he appears to have been written out of our midfield already : - )
    Not by some of us, me old mucker 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Will put my neck on the line and say if we sign Fraser he will be a significant upgrade on Lee.

Here we go again. 
    Can you name a league one trio with more quality than those 3? Of course we need them to gel first and signing him now gives 6 months to do that.
    There are probably 20 (at least) midfielders in our league with more quality than Gilbey. Fewer with as much running perhaps. 
    name them 
  • edited January 2022
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Plaaayer said:

Fuck off twat Plaaayer. You do realise this is bullying  now and I shall make this a complaint. 

So , what is it to do with you ? 

Perfectly describes you , knuckle headed bullying Coward.
    If 1956 is your year of birth, that puts you the same age as me.  I hope I haven't developed a humour bypass.
    Same year as me @Happy Valley. We should form a club.
    Discount season ticket coming up! 
    Hip flasks and blankets in the West Stand?
  • arny23394 said:

Really? Our midfield currently gets dominated nearly every game with 2/3 of next seasons best midfield - can’t see it personally.
    Our midfield gets dominated because we play a formation that does not suit the players we have. Lee plays further forward than if he was in a real 3 which leaves Dobson and Gilbey with 3 players to cover between them. We also play our wingbacks so high that dobson or Gilbey have to cover back in to the full back position that leaves even more space in front of the defence.
    This doesn't ring true at all. One of our issues has been how deep the wing-backs play. There's always them and the wide CB defending attacks; this hasn't been a problem. Keeping possession and stringing moves together has though 
  • supaclive said:
    Maccn05 said:
    I’m surprised we’ve done nothing to address the RWB slot for me I’d have sent Leko packing and been all over Villa for Kane Kessler or Spurs for the lad we were linked with.

we good really do with an upgrade in that position given DJ still can’t play for 90mins 
    DJ can.play 90 mins but he's NOT a RWB
    He's a winger
    Wide mifielder
    Right of a front 3

But NOT a wing back!

I beg to disagree, watch him every game he looks dead on his feet come 70 mins - no matter where he plays.

But we do agree on the fact that he’s not a RWB.
  • Addick_8 said:

They'll wait until the last possible moment to say no. I hope it comes off though. 
    I was hoping that we would be looking to sign players on the way up .. NOT other clubs failures
    Yann Kermorgant
    Michael Morrison

I like to see young hungry players on the up too but not every signing needs to have that profile. Fraser is a good player at this level and Ipswich have a big squad with a lot of options, they can’t keep them all happy.
  • poor old Elliott Lee could go from starting number 8 and the new Pele to 3rd choice in the next 12 hrs!

At least we would have some options to rotate though.
  • To be honest I care much more about a players reputation after they've signed for us, not before! Dobson is a revelation. If Fraser has the same engine and effort I'll be happy. I'd rather have an average player working his socks off, than a top quality lazy fecker. 
    You’ll be disappointed if that’s the metric you’re using to judge him.