Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Good point - a fit JFC, Dobson and Fraser - NOW we can have a conversation about best midfields in the division 
    Oooooh, JFC can play left hand side at times when needed - though he definitely comes in to the discussions of holding midfielder/midfield 3.

• Leuth said:
    when Fraser played against us for Burton he rang rings around our team but I seem to remember that against MK Dons we put Pratley to man mark him and Fraser was ineffective - or have I got that wrong.
    Yeah and we burgled a fairly lucky and extremely unwatchable 1-0 win. It wouldn't be a sustainable tactic for any team. When the game isn't effectively rendered 10v10 he's a bloody good player 
    We must make a point of telling the opposition to back-off and let him play then.
  • Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    A midfield three of Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser would be the best in the League IMO.
    I don't think Gilbey gets into any best midfield in the league, personally. He has not shown any consistent form for us.
    Gilbey has to cover too much ground in our current formation. 
    Too many gaps around him and tries to do too much to compensate.

He's evidently willing to put in the effort but it's asking too much of him at full stretch - and composure on the ball suffers.

Remember, Gilbey has had no pre-season after being badly hit by Covid.
    There's a very decent player in there, great engine, always moving, can pick a pass.

He's trying to do what he's asked to do within the current formation, instead of playing to his own abilities.

No pre-season?! He played more or less the second half of last season!!

At some point you have to stop making excuses for a player who barely creates anything. At some point it is a them problem and not an everyone else problem. 
    Excuses? You mean then there can't be good reasons why?

I don't know if you've played much competitive football yourself, but if you had, you'd understand some things from a player's point of view.

• edited January 2022
    Just waiting on the tweet from Cawley saying “Fraser talks break down” pretty standard for us on deadline day. Still can’t fathom why we didn’t go all out to sign Sorba Thomas last Jan when he was in non-league, signed DJ instead who is barely league one, where else Thomas is now an International smashing it in the champ!! Bin the black box! 
  • Scoham said:
    Addick_8 said:

They'll wait until the last possible moment to say no. I hope it comes off though. 
    I was hoping that we would be looking to sign players on the way up .. NOT other clubs failures
    Yann Kermorgant
    Michael Morrison

I like to see young hungry players on the up too but not every signing needs to have that profile. Fraser is a good player at this level and Ipswich have a big squad with a lot of options, they can’t keep them all happy.
    Powell, a manager who REALLY did the business knew Kermorgant had great potential .. Morrison ? .. he was 23/24 when he signed for us
    Morrison lasted about 6 months at Sheff Wed and was completely written off by their fans. We were told how useless he was. Leicester fans had similar views about Yann.

Fraser on the other hand is still rated by Ipswich fans, so what’s the issue with signing him? 
  • Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    When the window opened we were looking to bring in two and possibly three players.
    Burstow has displaced Davison and we have added Chucks. We have bought in a left wing back who is out of contract in the summer so if he does well we may be able to make permanent. The extra one is an exciting youngster who looks destined for the Spurs 1st team in the near future.
    Overall a good January window.

Now we after a fourth and yet some are saying it is another disaster. If we do manage to get one of the two suggested targets on a permanent it will change a good window to a fantastic window IMO.
    We are edging towards having a squad of players that are actually our players which is good.
    Many won’t be happy until they see consistent results and performances on the pitch, regardless of any signings made. That means winning promotion from this league and then competing in the Championship (not saying that’s right or wrong).
    Many won’t be happy.
    Ever. 
    They were unhappy  before about this. I was unhappy we had not signed him in the summer. We now have Gibey who I rate and Fraser who replaced him at MK Dons. Perhaps we will move for Twine in the summer ?
    I'd love to have Twine the best attacking midfielder in L1 .. I suspect a move to the Champ has been tied up already .. unless MKD get up there this season
  • If we get Fraser this could potentially be the best window we've had under Sandgaard. The bar is low admittedly but Aneke and Fraser would be two big players for next season and the loans sound relatively promising. 
  • Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    A midfield three of Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser would be the best in the League IMO.
    I don't think Gilbey gets into any best midfield in the league, personally. He has not shown any consistent form for us.

He's evidently willing to put in the effort but it's asking too much of him at full stretch - and composure on the ball suffers.

There's a very decent player in there, great engine, always moving, can pick a pass.

He's trying to do what he's asked to do within the current formation, instead of playing to his own abilities.

At some point you have to stop making excuses for a player who barely creates anything. At some point it is a them problem and not an everyone else problem. 
    Gilbey has the 3rd highest assists in our squad this season despite missing the first few months with Covid. 

You do talk some rubbish.
    Okay fine, I was wrong. He was out for ages during his first season too, thought that was the Covid bout but it was an injury, fine. Should be up to speed by now though. Third highest assists btw? With what, 2? 3? 
  • Redrobo said:
    Scoham said:
    Redrobo said:
    When the window opened we were looking to bring in two and possibly three players.
    Burstow has displaced Davison and we have added Chucks. We have bought in a left wing back who is out of contract in the summer so if he does well we may be able to make permanent. The extra one is an exciting youngster who looks destined for the Spurs 1st team in the near future.
    Overall a good January window.

Now we after a fourth and yet some are saying it is another disaster. If we do manage to get one of the two suggested targets on a permanent it will change a good window to a fantastic window IMO.
    We are edging towards having a squad of players that are actually our players which is good.
    Many won’t be happy until they see consistent results and performances on the pitch, regardless of any signings made. That means winning promotion from this league and then competing in the Championship (not saying that’s right or wrong).
    Many won’t be happy.
    Ever. 
    They were unhappy  before about this. I was unhappy we had not signed him in the summer. We now have Gibey who I rate and Fraser who replaced him at MK Dons. Perhaps we will move for Twine in the summer ?
    I'd love to have Twine the best attacking midfielder in L1 .. I suspect a move to the Champ has been tied up already .. unless MKD get up there this season
    He's still only 22. Time is on his side.

• Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

Gilbey has the 3rd highest assists in our squad this season despite missing the first few months with Covid. 

Okay fine, I was wrong. He was out for ages during his first season too, thought that was the Covid bout but it was an injury, fine. Should be up to speed by now though. Third highest assists btw? With what, 2? 3? 
    To be fair the league game he scored in recently he was really good, he needs more of those games. He was excellent that day and deserved the goal.
  • He's mainly been played out of position by Ipswich out on the left wing. When he has been played through the middle he's done well.
  • paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

To be fair the league game he scored in recently he was really good, he needs more of those games. He was excellent that day and deserved the goal.
    Against Ipswich? Yeah I think I gave him 9.5 in Player Marks. It was very much a one-off
  • edited January 2022
    Still don't have that Marquee 20-30 goals a season striker. And until we do we ain't going anywhere
    I know they don't grow on trees but we have to find one.

Our most successful seasons in recent times are when we have a natural goal machine up top. Washington and Stockley are not that person.
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

4. And countless other chances created that were not finished by the striker, again you seem to push all the misgivings of the team onto Gilbey. Is it his fault that MacG sometimes doesnt come for corners? Or that Washington sometimes misses one-on-ones?

We are a far worse team with AG out of it and you have provided nothing to convince me (or others) otherwise. Just nonsense claims with nothing to back them up.
    We probably ARE worse and that's the problem. Unless we sign a Fraser he's probably in our best XI. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

4. And countless other chances created that were not finished by the striker, again you seem to push all the misgivings of the team onto Gilbey. Is it his fault that MacG sometimes doesnt come for corners? Or that Washington sometimes misses one-on-ones?

We are a far worse team with AG out of it and you have provided nothing to convince me (or others) otherwise. Just nonsense claims with nothing to back them up.
    He gives us a lot more energy, and links well from back to front,the only one that does. needs that consistency though.
  • edited January 2022
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

We probably ARE worse and that's the problem. Unless we sign a Fraser he's probably in our best XI. 
    I don't think even you know what you are talking about now

We get it, you have a dislike for Gilbey, it clearly isn't to do with anything he does on the football pitch though.

Happy to have further discussion if you come up with any actual examples of anything you spout, rather than just nonsense soundbites.

Ever thought about a career in politics?
  • Still don't have that Marquee 20-30 goals a season striker. And until we do we ain't going anywhere
    I know they don't grow on trees but we have to find one.

Our most successful seasons in recent times are when we have a natural goal machine up top. Washington and Stockley are not that person.
    You're right, they are 2 persons. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Will put my neck on the line and say if we sign Fraser he will be a significant upgrade on Lee.

Would hope we play him alongside Gilbey and Dobson. That midfield trio would have a bit of everything and if they can gel you would think they should be the best midfield in the league next season.
    Here we go again. 
    Can you name a league one trio with more quality than those 3? Of course we need them to gel first and signing him now gives 6 months to do that.
    Yes. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

We get it, you have a dislike for Gilbey, it clearly isn't to do with anything he does on the football pitch though.

Happy to have further discussion if you come up with any actual examples of anything you spout, rather than just nonsense soundbites.

I was...agreeing with you? That he's currently in our best XI? 
  • Leuth said:
    paulfox said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

Against Ipswich? Yeah I think I gave him 9.5 in Player Marks. It was very much a one-off
    I think that’s a bit harsh, he’s had various good spells in games. Admittedly he did it for the whole game that day. JJ needs to get it out of him more often.
  • Also, I don't think we shouldn't have Gilbey at all. He'd be a brilliant bench option (as against Fleetwood) when his running can simply outmatch the opposition 
  • edited January 2022
    I don't necessarily see it as a question of being Gilbey OR Fraser. In a (hypothetical) midfield with both you now have two different players carrying the ball out of midfield (supplied by Dobson.) If you man mark Fraser, then Gilbey is left completely alone, or vice versa.

You can try to mark both, but that would be at the expense of your own attack and causes a narrow midfield that hopefully DJ/Leko on the right and Castilo on the left can exploit, and that's not including John/Morgan/Lee in there. 

The intent of this window appears to be addressing a lack of goals by trying to add more from midfield rather than spending huge amounts on a striker. It seems a gamble but we'll see how it goes. 
  • Leuth said:
    when Fraser played against us for Burton he rang rings around our team but I seem to remember that against MK Dons we put Pratley to man mark him and Fraser was ineffective - or have I got that wrong.
    Yeah and we burgled a fairly lucky and extremely unwatchable 1-0 win. It wouldn't be a sustainable tactic for any team. When the game isn't effectively rendered 10v10 he's a bloody good player 
    we just have to hope that other teams don't do the same and beat us 1-0 in an unwatchable game!
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

I was...agreeing with you? That he's currently in our best XI? 
    So your point, unless I am mistaken, is "AG is so shit get him out of the team and replace him with... no-one".

Yes I would like a prime iniesta or KDB but sadly we are in league one, you will struggle to get a better number 8 at this level than Gilbey.