Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• If we do sign Fraser, I think we shouldn't pay too much attention at the fact that Pratley man-marked him on a sole assignment for 90 minutes.

It's a very Bowyer thing to do, and with Pratley's fitness, experience and shithousery, he is probably one of the best players from the Championship and onwards to perform such a role. 
  • edited January 2022
    This season Gilbey has played 1666 minutes of League football and has 4 assists, that is one very 416 minutes or one every 4.6 games.

What that does or does not prove I have no idea what I do know is that when he plays he adds excitement to the team with his runs forward, OK they don't always come off with a goal or an assist but they do also lead to free kicks and a better attacking feel to our play.
    Lee has basically the same stats. 2 goals and 4 assists in 1700 minutes and he gets slaughtered.
  • sam3110 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    One thing I found interesting is that for all our relative lack of goals we are 6th in terms of big chances created. Seems we just don't shoot enough in general whilst also lacking any players capable of a bit of magic (or if they are our system isn't allowing them to produce it). 

Our defence is also the joint 6th best in terms of goals conceded per game so weirdly I don't think we're a million miles away if we can get the right players in and Jackson can get them playing in a system that makes us more dangerous.

That's because for all his endeavour, and I actually rate him highly, Conor Washington is absolutely shite at 1 on 1s with the keeper
    A slightly better Simon Church if we're being honest
  • Chunes said:
    This season Gilbey has played 1666 minutes of League football and has 4 assists, that is one very 416 minutes or one every 4.6 games.

What that does or does not prove I have no idea what I do know is that when he plays he adds excitement to the team with his runs forward, OK they don't always come off with a goal or an assist but they do also lead to free kicks and a better attacking feel to our play.
    Lee has basically the same stats. 2 goals and 4 assists in 1700 minutes and he gets slaughtered.
    Lee is meant to play directly behind the strikers and be the "number 10", the most creative player in the XI. Gilbey is the "number 8" and is expected to be a box to box player, breaking up play and driving the ball forwards to the front men and the number 10. It says more about Lee that a guy playing further back is just as creative as him
  • edited January 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Chunes said:

Lee is meant to play directly behind the strikers and be the "number 10", the most creative player in the XI. Gilbey is the "number 8" and is expected to be a box to box player, breaking up play and driving the ball forwards to the front men and the number 10. It says more about Lee that a guy playing further back is just as creative as him
    I question whether that's the case because according to my own googling, Gilbey has 1 assist in 22 league games.

I'd be surprised if it was better because his final ball is terrible. That assist was probably for Morgan's goal the other week where Gilbs hit the ball straight at the defender and it deflected off and into Albie's path. 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    sam3110 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    One thing I found interesting is that for all our relative lack of goals we are 6th in terms of big chances created. Seems we just don't shoot enough in general whilst also lacking any players capable of a bit of magic (or if they are our system isn't allowing them to produce it). 

Our defence is also the joint 6th best in terms of goals conceded per game so weirdly I don't think we're a million miles away if we can get the right players in and Jackson can get them playing in a system that makes us more dangerous.

That's because for all his endeavour, and I actually rate him highly, Conor Washington is absolutely shite at 1 on 1s with the keeper
    Simon Church spent most of his career being a bit shit in the championship.  Better or worse? 
  • edited January 2022
    CH4RLTON said:
    I think what is interesting is that a few people are commenting saying we need another striker and we already have enough midfielders, but for me the issue has been the midfielders haven't created enough chances for them, so I'm all for Fraser coming in. Chucks, Washo, Mason and Stockley are all capable of scoring goals with the right service
    Yes! It was frustrating watching the last couple of matches where Burstow was making all those runs and was never fed the ball. And Aneke, who’s deadly in the box, was only getting the ball deep, or out wide. 
  • cafcwill said:
    Fraser is the player we should have signed in the summer.  He was excellent when he played against us last season.

but we do need another striker and possibly a rwb, though i suppose once Lavelle is fit again we can put Clare in rwb too so its less of a requirement
    Excellent in one match was not that great at MK Dons when we man marked him 
    He first caught my eye at Burton in our promotion year. I wanted us to bag him when MKD signed him. 

If he is man marked then other players will get more opportunities. 

Excellent signing for next season. I wish we had nabbed him last summer. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    If we are bidding anywhere close to that figure Ipswich paid, then whatever you think of TS' running of the club to date, you would have to say hats off to him in his financial commitment so far.  I don't think anyone is questioning his financial commitment.  However we went after players in the summer went pear shaped and hopefully that won't happen now with the new set up minus Rodd.

However, if signings continue not to work out, then I hope the blame isn't pointed in TS' direction.  IMO he's certainly putting the money up.  If the quality isn't there, then the scouting/recruitment needs to be scrutinised 
    It depends on who is doing the scouting and recruiting.  If its Thomas and Martin there isn't really anyone else to blame. 

You can't criticise the money spent you can certainly, at least question, a lot of the decision making and process or lack there of. 
  • I am interested to see why they are getting rid of him if he is that good and as some are saying on here "one of the top three midfield players in League One".

He is hardly pulling up trees at Ipswich and the new manager has not selected him since taking charge. 
  • This season Gilbey has played 1666 minutes of League football and has 4 assists, that is one very 416 minutes or one every 4.6 games.

He’s on fire!
    😉

Sorry. 😳
    must be the Pudding - very sorry :)

• Birmingham snapping up a reserve centre half from Huddersfield.

Thank Darwin will missed out on that one.
  • by signing Fraser it could mean that Lee will not be retained at the end of the loan
  • RedRobin said:
    Just waiting on the tweet from Cawley saying “Fraser talks break down” pretty standard for us on deadline day. Still can’t fathom why we didn’t go all out to sign Sorba Thomas last Jan when he was in non-league, signed DJ instead who is barely league one, where else Thomas is now an International smashing it in the champ!! Bin the black box! 
    100% agree.
    Maybe we could switch tactics and just pay the going rate instead of bargaining to the last day.
  • :D my biggest concern re our recruitment would be if it was based in any way on reading what people think on here - I know bugger all about players in this division but like others have said, I’ve got excited about plenty of our signings based on what people have said on here and few of them have impressed - I’m stil amazed Crewe didn’t walk away with the title last year given what was said on here in the last window !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be very happy with Fraser.

Wonder why no one has gone for Dom Telford at Newport, crazy scoring record this season and contract up end of season.

Wonder why no one has gone for Dom Telford at Newport, crazy scoring record this season and contract up end of season.
    Think you may have answered your own question.
  • edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    :D my biggest concern re our recruitment would be if it was based in any way on reading what people think on here - I know bugger all about players in this division but like others have said, I’ve got excited about plenty of our signings based on what people have said on here and few of them have impressed - I’m stil amazed Crewe didn’t walk away with the title last year given what was said on here in the last window !!!
    I am equally supprised we didn't get relegated as well......

And how Exeter didn't win the FA Cup, league Cup and the boat race is beyond me. 

agree to a point .. he could be another 'Ajose Syndrome' though .. only hit the heights for one season at one club .. similar to Stockton at M'Cambe 
  • There will be few on here not old enough to get this reference I’m sure :)
  • sam3110 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Apart from the one where he chipped the advancing keeper?
  • Scott Fraser joined Ipswich for £750,000 so you’d assume that we have bid that or more.
    Really?
    He wants be good in that case. A lot of money for a League One reserve player, smacks of desperation. I hope that I'm wrong. 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    sam3110 said:
    Jac_52 said:

Not having that. Simon Church played and scored at a higher level than Washington.