Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Still don't have that Marquee 20-30 goals a season striker. And until we do we ain't going anywhere
    I know they don't grow on trees but we have to find one.

Our most successful seasons in recent times are when we have a natural goal machine up top. Washington and Stockley are not that person.
    A fit Stockley would be on track for 15-20 and that’s with the service we give him.

Unless someone is available for a small fee like BWP the best way to find one at this level can often be to create one. Burstow could be, worth giving him a run of games to see how he develops. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    A midfield three of Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser would be the best in the League IMO.
    I don't think Gilbey gets into any best midfield in the league, personally. He has not shown any consistent form for us.
    Gilbey has to cover too much ground in our current formation. 
    Too many gaps around him and tries to do too much to compensate.

He's evidently willing to put in the effort but it's asking too much of him at full stretch - and composure on the ball suffers.

Remember, Gilbey has had no pre-season after being badly hit by Covid.
    There's a very decent player in there, great engine, always moving, can pick a pass.

He's trying to do what he's asked to do within the current formation, instead of playing to his own abilities.

No pre-season?! He played more or less the second half of last season!!

At some point you have to stop making excuses for a player who barely creates anything. At some point it is a them problem and not an everyone else problem. 
    Gilbey has the 3rd highest assists in our squad this season despite missing the first few months with Covid. 

You do talk some rubbish.
    Okay fine, I was wrong. He was out for ages during his first season too, thought that was the Covid bout but it was an injury, fine. Should be up to speed by now though. Third highest assists btw? With what, 2? 3? 
    4. And countless other chances created that were not finished by the striker, again you seem to push all the misgivings of the team onto Gilbey. Is it his fault that MacG sometimes doesnt come for corners? Or that Washington sometimes misses one-on-ones?

We are a far worse team with AG out of it and you have provided nothing to convince me (or others) otherwise. Just nonsense claims with nothing to back them up.
    We probably ARE worse and that's the problem. Unless we sign a Fraser he's probably in our best XI. 
    I don't think even you know what you are talking about now

We get it, you have a dislike for Gilbey, it clearly isn't to do with anything he does on the football pitch though.

Happy to have further discussion if you come up with any actual examples of anything you spout, rather than just nonsense soundbites.

Ever thought about a career in politics?
    I was...agreeing with you? That he's currently in our best XI? 
    So your point, unless I am mistaken, is "AG is so shit get him out of the team and replace him with... no-one".

Yes I would like a prime iniesta or KDB but sadly we are in league one, you will struggle to get a better number 8 at this level than Gilbey.
    We have been discussing the potential acquisition of Fraser. That is why I am discussing Gilbey's position in our starting XI
  • Scoham said:
    Still don't have that Marquee 20-30 goals a season striker. And until we do we ain't going anywhere

Our most successful seasons in recent times are when we have a natural goal machine up top. Washington and Stockley are not that person.
    A fit Stockley would be on track for 15-20 and that’s with the service we give him.

Unless someone is available for a small fee like BWP the best way to find one at this level can often be to create one. Burstow could be, worth giving him a run of games to see how he develops. 
    There is still 12 hours left to keep hold of him... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Still don't have that Marquee 20-30 goals a season striker. And until we do we ain't going anywhere

There is still 12 hours left to keep hold of him... 
    If he goes then we can enjoy a few months of Kanu until he goes in the summer…
  • What happened to the Conor McBride young striker from Blackburn rumour circulating in the press?
  • Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    A midfield three of Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser would be the best in the League IMO.
    I don't think Gilbey gets into any best midfield in the league, personally. He has not shown any consistent form for us.

He's evidently willing to put in the effort but it's asking too much of him at full stretch - and composure on the ball suffers.

There's a very decent player in there, great engine, always moving, can pick a pass.

He's trying to do what he's asked to do within the current formation, instead of playing to his own abilities.

At some point you have to stop making excuses for a player who barely creates anything. At some point it is a them problem and not an everyone else problem. 
    Gilbey has the 3rd highest assists in our squad this season despite missing the first few months with Covid. 

BBC has it down at 1 assist...
  • Sponsored links:

• He's mainly been played out of position by Ipswich out on the left wing. When he has been played through the middle he's done well.
    If Ipswich are happy to let him go, it's because he doesn't fit into their new manager's new formation.

Let's hope he fits into ours! 

• What happened to the Conor McBride young striker from Blackburn rumour circulating in the press?
    Cawley torpedoed that yesterday.
  • Leuth said:
    I hope Nile John can play upfront or wingback as he appears to have been written out of our midfield already : - )
    Not by some of us, me old mucker 
    He was written off by some before they had even heard of him.
  • Vfrf said:
    What happened to the Conor McBride young striker from Blackburn rumour circulating in the press?
    Cawley torpedoed that yesterday.
    Sorry missed that. Thanks. 

Now we can get back to Gilbey.....
  • Leuth said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

BBC has it down at 1 assist...
    Unfortunately, that would still probably make it true 🤣
  • supaclive said:
    Dobson, Gilbey, Fraser is a very, very good spine of the side, if you add Stockely and/or Chuks alongside Innis, Lavelle, Clare/Fam and Mac.

We desperately need the right players in wing back roles if we go that way though.    Oh for a Roys Wiggins and fit Chris Solly...... 
    Agreed. We need to push the boat out for the wingbacks IMO. 
  • cafcwill said:
    Fraser is the player we should have signed in the summer.  He was excellent when he played against us last season.

but we do need another striker and possibly a rwb, though i suppose once Lavelle is fit again we can put Clare in rwb too so its less of a requirement
    Excellent in one match was not that great at MK Dons when we man marked him 
  • cafcwill said:
    Fraser is the player we should have signed in the summer.  He was excellent when he played against us last season.

but we do need another striker and possibly a rwb, though i suppose once Lavelle is fit again we can put Clare in rwb too so its less of a requirement
    Excellent in one match was not that great at MK Dons when we man marked him 
    Darren Pratley is not Jon Stark
  • Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    One thing I found interesting is that for all our relative lack of goals we are 6th in terms of big chances created. Seems we just don't shoot enough in general whilst also lacking any players capable of a bit of magic (or if they are our system isn't allowing them to produce it). 

Our defence is also the joint 6th best in terms of goals conceded per game so weirdly I don't think we're a million miles away if we can get the right players in and Jackson can get them playing in a system that makes us more dangerous.

We really don’t shoot outside the box
  • Jac_52 said:
    One thing I found interesting is that for all our relative lack of goals we are 6th in terms of big chances created. Seems we just don't shoot enough in general whilst also lacking any players capable of a bit of magic (or if they are our system isn't allowing them to produce it). 

Our defence is also the joint 6th best in terms of goals conceded per game so weirdly I don't think we're a million miles away if we can get the right players in and Jackson can get them playing in a system that makes us more dangerous.

We aren't "that far" away.  We don't get thrashed.   I think we have only lost by more than 1 goal twice?

Bar the first 4 games I don't think we have ever looked like the opposition have had significantly better players than us.  A lot of teams with worse players than us have played better than us.  That's almost more worrying. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Jac_52 said:

We aren't "that far" away.  We don't get thrashed.   I think we have only lost by more than 1 goal twice?

Bar the first 4 games I don't think we have ever looked like the opposition have had significantly better players than us.  A lot of teams with worse players than us have played better than us.  That's almost more worrying. 
    This is the way I see it. I'm not sure that the players are not good enough, they might not be the quality of the Powell Promotion Squad but realistically they should be better than 15-16th.

Whether that is a coaching issue or just finding a system that works for a whole season I don't honestly know. But I sincerely doubt that there is a player out there we can/will sign who will suddenly make the whole squad "click" purely through their own quality. 
  • Scott Fraser joined Ipswich for £750,000 so you’d assume that we have bid that or more.
  • Jac_52 said:

Curious that several clubs have all scored significantly more goals than have created "Big Chances"

Ipswich have scored 47 goals with only 34 big chances, so presumably they've scored a number of goals they're not expected to. From watching Quest I don't remember them having lots of long shot goals either.
  • thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Plaaayer said:

Fuck off twat Plaaayer. You do realise this is bullying  now and I shall make this a complaint. 

So , what is it to do with you ? 

Perfectly describes you , knuckle headed bullying Coward.
    If 1956 is your year of birth, that puts you the same age as me.  I hope I haven't developed a humour bypass.
    So you need to have a dig too. What is up with you ? 1956 is not my birth year either so thankfully I have not that in common with you  .  
    To have a humour bypass you would  need to have had  sense of humour,  surely. 
    Mate, the problem is either loads of other people or it's you.
    Perhaps, it's worth considering it's you?
  • He's mainly been played out of position by Ipswich out on the left wing. When he has been played through the middle he's done well.
    And what makes you think it will be any different with us.... :D
  • Jac_52 said:

That's because for all his endeavour, and I actually rate him highly, Conor Washington is absolutely shite at 1 on 1s with the keeper
  • Wasn't Harper one of the Ipswich summer signings everyone was gushing about in the summer?

Going to Rochdale on loan.....