Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• DDOUBLEE said:
    jakecafc said:
    Imagine the creativity in a midfield of Dobson, Szmodics and Fraser.
    And John
    Crop rotation in the 14th Century was considerably more widespread after...John
    I KNEW IT! I BLOODY KNEW IT!
  • Scoham said:
    Someone on the 'other' forum has claimed Fraser is having a medical.
    At Newcastle!!😜🙄😂
  • paulfox said:
    We know there will be one perm coming in could be two as we also made a bid for Peterbro player .. sorry no names plus Leko could return to Birmingham to enable another loan to come in .. ?? 
  • edited January 2022
    paulfox said:
    We know there will be one perm coming in could be two as we also made a bid for Peterbro player .. sorry no names plus Leko could return to Birmingham to enable another loan to come in .. ?? 
    We know do we?  I think we are hopeful but nothing is certain until it is announced and then again we announced Jeremy Goss who then changed his mind 

• What is a 3422 formation ?  Does the keeper double as a centre back or does the formation  require 12 players ?
    The keeper also plays as a deep positioned striker, making late runs 

• What is a 3422 formation ?  Does the keeper double as a centre back or does the formation  require 12 players ?
    Sweeper keeper love, sweeper keeper. 
  • Would be pleased with Fraser and presumably he’s played with Gilbey and Chuks?
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    Sorry no names but I’m assuming, if true, that it’s Sammie Szbolics As has already been mentioned. Late to the party as usual.
  • Valley11 said:
    Would be pleased with Fraser and presumably he’s played with Gilbey and Chuks?
    He replaced Gilbey at MK Dons.... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    For comparison Lee has created more chances (44) and has a higher chances per 90 at 1.76 minutes https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers/assists
    TBF to Lee his weakness are amplified by others as much as himself.

If someone else could take free kicks and corners that fact he can't wouldn't matter.  If our strikers finished more of the chances he did given them it would be enough.

It's endemic in the club no one person, or thing, is either THE problem nor THE solution. 
    Lee has become a lighting rod for some of our more critical fans. No one can argue he's been in top form recently, but he's been nowhere near as bad as some people are making out. He's still creating chances in matches. Still getting shots away. He looks every bit a decent player in a form rut, rather than simply a bad player.

Confidence is so fragile in our entire team and has been for a long time now - no better characterized than how much we struggle if we concede first and how much better our results are if we score first. A bit more belief and old fashioned grit could transform this side because, whatever some say, we do have above average talent in the squad for this level.

We do have a talent squad but we don't have the things that make a good team.  The fire in the belly was put their by them wanting Jackson to get the job.  It's now gone, again.  Two players like Mark Kinsella would make the world of difference.  The want to win AND the real want to improve.  It would have a knock on effect on some of the others. 

Cullen, Beilik/Gallagher and like it or not Taylor made a massive difference not only in what they brought in terms of quality but attitude.  Aribo, Dijksteel, Sarr and even BFG, Pratley, Matthews and Pearce were sort of dragged along with them.  We don't have those things now.  It shows. 

Lee isn't as good as some claimed or as bad as some are now claiming. 
    What you're saying is we're missing those star players who lift the whole team up a level.

Bowyer had Cullen, Bielik/Gallagher and Taylor as you say. Powell had Yann supported by several others.

This team doesn't really have that - Dobson and Stockley are very important but they need help.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Would be pleased with Fraser and presumably he’s played with Gilbey and Chuks?
    He replaced Gilbey at MK Dons.... 
    Ah ok, didn’t know that. 
  • edited January 2022
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    For comparison Lee has created more chances (44) and has a higher chances per 90 at 1.76 minutes https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers/assists

If someone else could take free kicks and corners that fact he can't wouldn't matter.  If our strikers finished more of the chances he did given them it would be enough.

It's endemic in the club no one person, or thing, is either THE problem nor THE solution. 
    Lee has become a lighting rod for some of our more critical fans. No one can argue he's been in top form recently, but he's been nowhere near as bad as some people are making out. He's still creating chances in matches. Still getting shots away. He looks every bit a decent player in a form rut, rather than simply a bad player.

Confidence is so fragile in our entire team and has been for a long time now - no better characterized than how much we struggle if we concede first and how much better our results are if we score first. A bit more belief and old fashioned grit could transform this side because, whatever some say, we do have above average talent in the squad for this level.

We do have a talent squad but we don't have the things that make a good team.  The fire in the belly was put their by them wanting Jackson to get the job.  It's now gone, again.  Two players like Mark Kinsella would make the world of difference.  The want to win AND the real want to improve.  It would have a knock on effect on some of the others. 

Cullen, Beilik/Gallagher and like it or not Taylor made a massive difference not only in what they brought in terms of quality but attitude.  Aribo, Dijksteel, Sarr and even BFG, Pratley, Matthews and Pearce were sort of dragged along with them.  We don't have those things now.  It shows. 

What you're saying is we're missing those star players who lift the whole team up a level.

Bowyer had Cullen, Bielik/Gallagher and Taylor as you say. Powell had Yann supported by several others.

This team doesn't really have that - Dobson and Stockley are very important but they need help.
    It's not so much in the ability its the personality.  This team has lots of followers and not enough leaders. 

Powell also had Hughes, Morrison, Taylor, Court, Jackson, Hollands and a few others that would set the bar in terms of standards. 

Unpopular opinion but Pearce is a good example.  He isn't a great leader but knows what way the wind is blowing and then shouts follow me lads.  IMO it's no coincidence that he plays really well when he knows the rest of the team back the manager.  When they don't he doesn't.  That's not leadership.  In my opinion. 
  • Scoham said:
    Ipswich fans on Fraser https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/529223/2nd-charlton-bid-for-fraser

Created 31 chances for Ipswich, more than any other player, though it probably includes set pieces https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

Having read that and the other links posted it seems the question marks are over his fitness, work rate, athleticism etc. However any creative CM at this level is going to lack something in their game, perhaps alongside two mobile energetic players in Dobson and Gilbey (or John?) we'll have a good balance and will be able to support a player like Fraser. The player in that role needs to produce more than Lee has been.

If Castillo settles in well having pace and more of a threat (other than attacking the far post) than Purrington will make a difference too. As will having Chuks up front over Davison or Leko.
    Isn't this a problem we have already in our midfield ?  I would prefer we signed a midfielder that has those traits, with some pace and ability to take the opposition on and open them up. 
  • Scoham said:
    Ipswich fans on Fraser https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/529223/2nd-charlton-bid-for-fraser

Created 31 chances for Ipswich, more than any other player, though it probably includes set pieces https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/ipswich-town/top-scorers/assists

Having read that and the other links posted it seems the question marks are over his fitness, work rate, athleticism etc. However any creative CM at this level is going to lack something in their game, perhaps alongside two mobile energetic players in Dobson and Gilbey (or John?) we'll have a good balance and will be able to support a player like Fraser. The player in that role needs to produce more than Lee has been.

If Castillo settles in well having pace and more of a threat (other than attacking the far post) than Purrington will make a difference too. As will having Chuks up front over Davison or Leko.
    Isn't this a problem we have already in our midfield ?  I would prefer we signed a midfielder that has those traits, with some pace and ability to take the opposition on and open them up. 
    No problem sir. That’ll be £1M, thank you very much. Cheap at the price. 
  • Why would Ipswich sell now to one of their rivals.  Can't  see it happening  myself.
    If we're  not careful we will fall between 2 stools & end up with nobody.
    Hope to be proved wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Fraser injured or just completely out of favour?

I notice he hasn't played a single minute for them since being subbed off against us at the Valley.
    According to their new manager he was injured and still features in his plans by all accounts
  • In those Youtube clips Fraser's style very much reminds me of Gilbey.

Our season has pretty much fizzled out. The club really needs to up its recruiting come the summer and get all the work done early.
  • Why do we find it so difficult to bring in new players during transfer windows. Watched the efl highlights and the Bolton Sunderland game. They said that Bolton had 5 new players in the team and they all performed well. We get no where near achieving that kind of recruitment.
  • TEL said:
    In those Youtube clips Fraser's style very much reminds me of Gilbey.

Our season has pretty much fizzled out. The club really needs to up its recruiting come the summer and get all the work done early.
    Should have addressed some of the summer recruiting this window as once again we have left ourselves a lot to do in the summer and once again we are likely to come up short again. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

It's not so much in the ability its the personality.  This team has lots of followers and not enough leaders. 

Powell also had Hughes, Morrison, Taylor, Court, Jackson, Hollands and a few others that would set the bar in terms of standards. 

Unpopular opinion but Pearce is a good example.  He isn't a great leader but knows what way the wind is blowing and then shouts follow me lads.  IMO it's no coincidence that he plays really well when he knows the rest of the team back the manager.  When they don't he doesn't.  That's not leadership.  In my opinion. 
    Definitely an unpopular opinion. I think most of your post is spot on, this side definitely lacks leaders but Pearce's history speaks for itself. He's been captain at every side he's been at. 
  • edited January 2022
    Scoham said:

Gilbey has a fantastic engine. Dobson is quite mobile for a holding/sitting player. And Lee covers a decent amount of ground for a playmaker/#10. Even Morgan's workrate is decent these days. I don't think their issue is a lack of mobility. I think sometimes it's a lack of technical ability or tactical nous to find space off the ball. 

Fraser is a tough one because he was there in the summer but we didn't get him. Plus, we did have a not particularly mobile playmaker in Shinnie, who we let go (though he is about five years older, and it's hard to see where he would have fit in Adkins' 4-2-3-1). This window does have a feeling of correcting mistakes we made in the summer. Which, hey, better late than never. But still frustrating.

I'm also a bit gutted we pulled out of a deal for Marcus Browne. Obviously there's a risk signing a player off of an ACL injury, but the bits I saw and read about him he seems to have a very high upside, especially at our level. He's one that, because he's coming back from injury, we may only have a shot at signing now. My bigger concern for him was where he would play in our system. But he seemed to have the technical ability and pace to be a game changer. 

Fraser looked very good against us last season. And might turn into a decent signing, and is probably lower risk than Browne (and yes they do play different positions so it's a bit apples and oranges). But I don't think he has Brown's ceiling. 
  • Bit late now I think, but I’d be happy if we signed a half decent player whose main quality was being a real fighter, someone to galvanise the team and get them playing again. Most sides who have done well against us seem to have had one of those in midfield. Maybe someone like a Pell, who’s hard working, a bit nasty, and who has the added bonus of taking a great free kick. Perhaps even pluck one from L2. Would certainly be useful if the season ends up as a relegation battle. 
    Levitt, Smith, Smith, Field and others seemed ok on paper, but lacked a bit of fight. Of course would love a Gallagher, Cullen or Bielik, but they were summer signings. 
    Perhaps Nile John will fit the bill, we’ll find out soon I guess. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Bit late now I think, but I’d be happy if we signed a half decent player whose main quality was being a real fighter, someone to galvanise the team and get them playing again. Most sides who have done well against us seem to have had one of those in midfield. Maybe someone like a Pell, who’s hard working, a bit nasty, and who has the added bonus of taking a great free kick. Perhaps even pluck one from L2. Would certainly be useful if the season ends up as a relegation battle. 
    Levitt, Smith, Smith, Field and others seemed ok on paper, but lacked a bit of fight. Of course would love a Gallagher, Cullen or Bielik, but they were summer signings. 
    We don't lack fight; we lack quality. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Bit late now I think, but I’d be happy if we signed a half decent player whose main quality was being a real fighter, someone to galvanise the team and get them playing again. Most sides who have done well against us seem to have had one of those in midfield. Maybe someone like a Pell, who’s hard working, a bit nasty, and who has the added bonus of taking a great free kick. Perhaps even pluck one from L2. Would certainly be useful if the season ends up as a relegation battle. 
    Plenty of both been missing in recent weeks.
  • wmcf123 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    I have to disagree there's been plenty of games since Adkins went that we showed fight and quality.

Since Jackson became permanent though we've lacked both on multiple occasions from several players.