Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Imagine the creativity in a midfield of Dobson, Szmodics and Fraser.
  • Move on guys ffs
  • Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Gone in with a second serious bid for Fraser which Ipswich are seriously considering apparently.
    https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/charlton-bid-for-fraser-again-8656038

Cheers 
  • jakecafc said:
    Imagine the creativity in a midfield of Dobson, Szmodics and Fraser.
    And John
  • Just a shame that Scott Fraser isnt a Scottish International

He'll be imune to losing games BEFORE joining Charlton for once
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:

They'll wait until the last possible moment to say no. I hope it comes off though. 
  • So is Scott Fraser actually any good? I’ve seen him play three times. All against us. He was great in one but given all the time and space in the world. Completely anonymous in the other two. And it doesn’t seem to be working at Ipswich, but then the same was true of Dobson at Sunderland. 

He’s obviously, at best, second choice on our list after Marcus Browne. 
  • jakecafc said:
    Imagine the creativity in a midfield of Dobson, Szmodics and Fraser.
    We are definitely bad enough that we could do with both players not either  / or…. It’s more than likely neither I’d suggest. 
  • Good profile of Fraser here from:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/scott-fraser-profile-8148694

14 goals in a season for MK Dons is impressive on paper but less so when you factor in 9 were penalties.

Highlights video makes him look like an alternative to Lee, but it’d be a longer term option for next season if he signed permanently. 

Like I say, I don’t know a lot about him but my gut reaction to this is it’s a wrong move at a wrong time. 
  • So is Scott Fraser actually any good? I’ve seen him play three times. All against us. He was great in one but given all the time and space in the world. Completely anonymous in the other two. And it doesn’t seem to be working at Ipswich, but then the same was true of Dobson at Sunderland. 

He got 14-goals for Milton Keynes last season from midfield - So whilst I thought he wasnt the goalscorer (compared to Szmodics) in my recent post, he certainly knows where the goal is compared to the rest of our current batch.

Could easily be Ipswich's version of Charlie Kirk

Sometimes just doesnt work at one club, but is very successful elsewhere in the right situation.
  • Good profile of Fraser here from:

14 goals in a season for MK Dons is impressive on paper but less so when you factor in 9 were penalties.

Highlights video makes him look like an alternative to Lee, but it’d be a longer term option for next season if he signed permanently. 

Like I say, I don’t know a lot about him but my gut reaction to this is it’s a wrong move at a wrong time. 
    No player in form or having ambition is turning up at Charlton at the moment, unless we are paying shitloads of dosh. The players we have dug us into a hole that they need to get us out of, or do one once this season is over.
  • edited January 2022
    He was very good for Burton Albion before moving to MK. I wanted us to sign him when MK got him 18 months ago but we were going through the ESI turmoil at the time.

He’s a really good player at this level but I’d be concerned it seems to have fizzled out for him lately.

He got 14-goals for Milton Keynes last season from midfield - So whilst I thought he wasnt the goalscorer (compared to Szmodics) in my recent post, he certainly knows where the goal is compared to the rest of our current batch.

Sometimes just doesnt work at one club, but is very successful elsewhere in the right situation.
    According to Ipswich Twitterers, Cook crowbarred him out on the right wing which didn't suit him. Some saying he's one of their best players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    Good profile of Fraser here from:

No player in form or having ambition is turning up at Charlton at the moment, unless we are paying shitloads of dosh. The players we have dug us into a hole that they need to get us out of, or do one once this season is over.
    Don’t agree with this. A player looking at joining us should be able to recognise that we’re building the club back up from being completely on its knees. We have a good, safe owner; well respected young manager and a decent squad that just needs a few additions and release of some deadwood and next season could and should be a force in this league.

on Scott Fraser, he was definitely in the top 5 players of league 1 last season and would be an excellent addition and an upgrade on Lee.

My thinking on Fraser is he would have been an outstanding signing in June.

It's asking a lot for a player to come in at the 11th hour and save our season after a bit of a rough time at Ipswich.

Him or Sammy would be great signings and players we would want next season, you could even get them in same team in the right formation. 
  • edited January 2022
    Most posters here ( me included ) have what I call Marcus Maddison syndrome ie liking players who perform well against us. Historically this has produced mixed results. We were all excited by Clive Mendonca's signing for example because of his performances against us for Grimsby. I would see Fraser as a signing which like Chuks is for next season and would give us the opportunity to start the rebuild now without needing to wait for the close season.
  • edited January 2022
    Someone young with that creative spark is Paddy Lane at Fleetwood, he's currently joint second with Twine for assists (8). He's also scored 3. Maybe if Fraser doesn't come off he'd be worth a punt, you'd think 400k would suffice. 

Elliot Lee is currently our top assister with 4.
  • edited January 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    paulfox said:
    Good profile of Fraser here from:

Don’t agree with this. A player looking at joining us should be able to recognise that we’re building the club back up from being completely on its knees. We have a good, safe owner; well respected young manager and a decent squad that just needs a few additions and release of some deadwood and next season could and should be a force in this league.

on Scott Fraser, he was definitely in the top 5 players of league 1 last season and would be an excellent addition and an upgrade on Lee.
    A decent squad failing miserably already. Also just out of interest, what makes anyone think that a lot of the players that have failed under 3 managers are suddenly going to be really good next season, especially when we have two bad results. Too flakey for too long.
  • I was at the MK Dons game and Frazer was unplayable that day.

Just not sure where it leaves our midfield if he signs.

Assuming Dobson will play as the holding midfielder that leaves two places between John, Gilbey, Lee, Morgan and Fraser.

Clare too but he's playing CH anyway.

I'm not including Watson.

An upgrade is an upgrade so not saying we shouldn't sign him but still feel we need another striker.
  • I was at the MK Dons game and Frazer was unplayable that day.

Just not sure where it leaves our midfield if he signs.

Assuming Dobson will play as the holding midfielder that leaves two places between John, Gilbey, Lee, Morgan and Fraser.

Clare too but he's playing CH anyway.

I'm not including Watson.

An upgrade is an upgrade so not saying we shouldn't sign him but still feel we need another striker.
    True, hopefully we will get both.
  • Really hope Fraser comes off, been a fan of him since his Burton days.
  • Fraser…

19/20: 30 games, 5 goals and 11 assists
    20/21: 44 games, 14 goals and 6 assists
    21/22: 15 games, 1 goal and 2 assists
    I think you always have to add context to stats.  Especially with league 1 standard players, because that's exactly what Fraser is.  There is a reason he didn't go to the championship in the summer.

Most of them, and we seem to have had a lot of them over the last 2 seasons, are very good at something and crap at everything else.

Play him in the right position, the right role and with the right support and I would back him to be very good.  Try and get him to do something else and he won't be.