Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:
    Strange how everyone was gutted he left and now disappointed he has returned. 

Just general frustration again, IMO.
    Gutted he wasn't replaced and disappointed we bought him back thinking he would play 90 minutes for 3 years injury free. 
    You know we(the club) thought exactly that?
    Why would you pay a fee for a player that can only play a third of games? 
    Even you must believe every club should have a striker on the bench?
    If you have the top goal scorer in the league (per minutes played), on the bench I see that as a good thing.
    The issue was Stockley getting injured and having no better alternatives to start.

In the Premier League you can waste money on a bench striker sure. 

In League One, spending six figures on a player that can't play 90 minute is mindless. What a waste. 
    So would you have preferred not to sign Aneke and keep Davison instead?
    If not Aneke who would you have signed in January and how much would you have paid?
    A sane person would have preferred we sign a striker who is fit enough to start football matches. It's as simple as that. 
    Yes, that's easy to say.
    But who were these excellent goal scoring strikers, that were fully fit and available in January for us to sign, preferably free or for less than £300K?
    Plus of course they wanted to sign for us in our mid table nothing season?
    You're telling me there's not a single striker that would be available for 300k or less that is capable of playing 90 minutes and better than Davison? 

Dion Charles for one. Better goalscoring record than Aneke, able to play 90 minutes. Went for a similar amount of money and suits Jackson's 3-5-2 formation. 

But no we had to get the 30 minute wonder instead for 3 and a half years. 
    Dion Charles would not come down this way as has already been mentioned a few times so scratch that one off your list. We benefitted from it ourselves in 2018 when Lyle chose us over Sunderland.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Gutted he wasn't replaced and disappointed we bought him back thinking he would play 90 minutes for 3 years injury free. 
    If you have the top goal scorer in the league (per minutes played), on the bench I see that as a good thing.
    The issue was Stockley getting injured and having no better alternatives to start.

In League One, spending six figures on a player that can't play 90 minute is mindless. What a waste. 
    If not Aneke who would you have signed in January and how much would you have paid?
    A sane person would have preferred we sign a striker who is fit enough to start football matches. It's as simple as that. 
    Yes, that's easy to say.
    But who were these excellent goal scoring strikers, that were fully fit and available in January for us to sign, preferably free or for less than £300K?
    You're telling me there's not a single striker that would be available for 300k or less that is capable of playing 90 minutes and better than Davison? 

Dion Charles for one. Better goalscoring record than Aneke, able to play 90 minutes. Went for a similar amount of money and suits Jackson's 3-5-2 formation. 

Dion Charles would not come down this way as has already been mentioned a few times so scratch that one off your list. We benefitted from it ourselves in 2018 when Lyle chose us over Sunderland.
    Sure but you can't say that we couldn't sign ANYONE else when literally one of the best strikers in the division went for the same money that Aneke did.

Someone better, younger, fitter and more prolific than Aneke went for the same money in the same window. 
  • edited March 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Yes, that's easy to say.
    Dion Charles, bought by Bolton for 320k in January, 13 apps 6 goals.  

We never should have bought a striker who cannot start games of football. End off. 
  • edited March 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Yes, that's easy to say.

Was this ever actually confirmed officially or was it a CL myth?  Not saying it is wrong and his clubs to date suggest it is likely but these things do tend to become statements of fact on here once a few people have cottoned on to it.

I wonder if we could have got Cole Stockton but given no one did maybe he was not available or not that good.  He has one year left on his contract this summer.

Marquis is doing alright at his new club and has a history of scoring save for Pompey.  He was free I think

Telford at Newport has scored bucket loads in L2.  He is out of contract this summer I think.

Not saying any of the above are the answer but we do have a recruitment team whom are paid to find the answer.

I am happy with Aneke and don't care how much we spent as not my money but we needed two in as we knew Stockley was injured and we were playing two upfront.
  • edited March 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Yes, that's easy to say.

Was this ever actually confirmed officially or was it a CL myth?  Not saying it is wrong and his clubs to date suggest it is likely but these things do tend to become statements of fact on here once a few people have cottoned on to it.

I wonder if we could have got Cole Stockton but given no one did maybe he was not available or not that good.  He has one year left on his contract this summer.

Marquis is doing alright at his new club and has a history of scoring save for Pompey.  He was free I think

Telford at Newport has scored bucket loads in L2.  He is out of contract this summer I think.

Not saying any of the above are the answer but we do have a recruitment team whom are paid to find the answer.

I am happy with Aneke and don't care how much we spent as not my money but we needed two in as we knew Stockley was injured and we were playing two upfront.
    And Aneke  is always fit to play 90 mins ? I have actually forgotten  what he looks like he has played so little. 
    I don't think I suggested he was.  I was happy as I think there is no better sub striker in L1 to bring on for 30mins.  Sadly that seems his limit which is why it was obvious we needed another striker to come in alongside him once we decided to bring him back.  The last few weeks were very predictable.

If you have forgotten what our top scorer from last season looks like I would suggest you get your memory checked.
  • From last season's statbank Chuks:

Started 11 games and averaged 78 minutes, completing one whole game of 103 minutes and subbed in the other 10 with his least time playing 49 minutes, he scored 6 goals

Came on as sub 26 times and averaged 33 minutes a game and scored 9 goals, in his last 11 games he came on as a sub in every game.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Yes, that's easy to say.

Sure but you can't say that we couldn't sign ANYONE else when literally one of the best strikers in the division went for the same money that Aneke did.

Someone better, younger, fitter and more prolific than Aneke went for the same money in the same window. 
    Charles was out of contract this summer and refused to sign a new deal. If others are scoring goals but on longer term contracts they won’t be available that cheaply.
  • Sponsored links:

• Congratulations chucks and mrs chucks. I hope the rumours aren't true that the little fella is out injured for 6 months with a calf strain
  • edited March 2022
    MattF said:
    I suppose his wife knows that Chucks will be around for the day and night shifts for the next 3 years.  I bet he got injured during the birth as well. 
  • Congrats Chuks!
  • With apologies for breaching confidences, but I was told at the weekend by someone who would know that Chuks is the only footballer he had come across who was more happier when injured then when not. 
  • I heard he's very much happier as an impact sub rather than starting games
  • Sponsored links:

• We have a very productive strike force, seeing that Jayden's missus had their 3rd child last week!
    Dont forget Macca's wife gave birth a month or two ago.
  • Congrats to the Aneke family.
  • We have a very productive strike force, seeing that Jayden's missus had their 3rd child last week!
    Dont forget Macca's wife gave birth a month or two ago.
    A trio of pre-season babies going by the approximate dates. 
  • edited March 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chunes said:

Yes, that's easy to say.

We will never get something like this confirmed but it says a lot that Bolton is the furthest south he has ever signed a contract…

Blackpool -> Fylde -> Fleetwood -> Southport -> Accrington -> Bolton

Maybe he has a good couple of seasons. He might get adventurous and sign for Everton in the Championship.

• Hopefully his misses doesn’t tear as easily as he does. 
    *winces and crosses legs*
  • Chunes said:
    I heard from a player in the squad that Chuks goes round to peoples houses and deliberately splashes bits of water on the floor so that anyone wearing socks treads in them and gets wet socks. He thinks it's hilarious but Pearcey goes berserk.
    I’m disappointed Chunes, you lived in Hong Kong long enough to know slippers must ALWAYS be worn at home. 
  • Saw on his Instagram that he is back in training/doing physio and that he's feeling stronger than before. Hopefully will be back soon and can be that impact player that's needed from the bench. 
    Back in 3 weeks
  • Next two weeks play some time with the under 23s, then a full game with the under 23s, just in time for the season to end  :)
  • He'll get sent off as well in his first game back wont he?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!