Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• edited April 2022
    what is the condition that prevents him playing full matches? Is it a muscle condition? Or something else?
    I’d heard that, but I don’t know if it’s true, would make sense to have him on a part time contract or a minutes played / goals scored contract.
  • what is the condition that prevents him playing full matches? Is it a muscle condition? Or something else?
    This is the bit that intrigues me.  We have been told nothing about whatever it is that makes him unable to play more than a handful of games in succession.

Aneke is not a natural athlete.  He lumbers around a bit ... reminiscent of Tommy Cooper.  This will have its effect on him somewhere.  Back problems, muscle problems whatever.

3+ year deal.  He is part of our Championship promotion squad.

Now ... where's that Zynex knee brace?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    what is the condition that prevents him playing full matches? Is it a muscle condition? Or something else?
    This is the bit that intrigues me.  We have been told nothing about whatever it is that makes him unable to play more than a handful of games in succession.

Aneke is not a natural athlete.  He lumbers around a bit ... reminiscent of Tommy Cooper.  This will have its effect on him somewhere.  Back problems, muscle problems whatever.

Maybe he’ll just get better……. Just like that!!!!
  • edited April 2022
    Someone on this site said they'd heard what it was, and when they revealed it, it made sense why it wasn't public knowledge and probably shouldn't be. 
  • paulfox said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Maybe he’ll just get better……. Just like that!!!!
    I went to the Doctor.  And I said "Doctor ... my back hurts when I run."

And he said "You've got curvature of the spine."

And I said "I had a hunch that you'd say that."

Spoon, jar ... jar, spoon.
  • Dave Rudd said:

I would love to know who decided that it was a good idea to give him / or agree to a three & a half year contract given his inability to play 90 minutes on a regular basis or even when he has played in the championship has a poor scoring record. Are we planning for another three years in division three with Chuks?  Is K K K Katy meire still negotiating contracts for us ?
  • Chunes said:
    Someone on this site said they'd heard what it was, and when they revealed it, it made sense why it wasn't public knowledge and probably shouldn't be. 
    Oh, right.  Better not speculate then.
  • I'm confident I read that his most recent injury was with his calf.
  • Maybe his wages are cheap and as a sub who had an exceptional scoring record at this level 3.5 years was seen as a good bet.  If he scores 10-15 off the bench next season which gets us up then it is money very well spent.
  • Maybe his wages are cheap and as a sub who had an exceptional scoring record at this level 3.5 years was seen as a good bet.  If he scores 10-15 off the bench next season which gets us up then it is money very well spent.
    Lah, lah, lah.

• Sponsored links:

• The moaning and shit jokes about his injury record are already boring. The worst thing is we have 3 more years of it.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Maybe his wages are cheap and as a sub who had an exceptional scoring record at this level 3.5 years was seen as a good bet.  If he scores 10-15 off the bench next season which gets us up then it is money very well spent.
    Lah, lah, lah.

Don’t really understand this? He scored 15 last season mainly coming off the bench, so it’s not beyond the wildest dreams he does it again.
  • Probably agreed a lower wage spread over 3.5 years rather than a bigger wage across a shorter contract too.
  • I'm confident I read that his most recent injury was with his calf.
    It was his calf. Hopefully he’s involved again soon because it’s clear Leko and Burstow won’t be here next season so be nice to see Aneke back on the pitch soon. 
  • He didn't just score 3 goals though. Those goals won us huge points while we were nearing the relegation zone. We went into this season too light up front, then a further twist of selling Burstow and sending Davison on loan while we could have done with the latter's bustle if anything.
  • Chunes said:
    Yeah, he can't play 90 minutes. That's a very accurate criticism. But it's not accurate to say he's always injured.
    Absolutely, I made this point before. Last season he wasn’t “always injured” at all, not like Inniss. Personally I’d always choose Aneke over Inniss, if Stockley stays fit and we can get Aneke available (even if only for 30 mins) for 40 league games then he can have a huge impact. 
    Also helps that the PL are reintroducing the 5 sub rule next season, which i assume means the EFL will follow.

Much less of an issue having a guy who can only play 30-45 minutes when you can make 4 other subs every week.
    Agreed. I don't like having 5 subs, for the same reason I don't like rugby union's use of subs, where players are trained and conditioned to only play 60 minutes, but Chuks is the perfect person on the bench for such a rule, as was proven last season
  • arny23394 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Maybe his wages are cheap and as a sub who had an exceptional scoring record at this level 3.5 years was seen as a good bet.  If he scores 10-15 off the bench next season which gets us up then it is money very well spent.
    Lah, lah, lah.

Don’t really understand this? He scored 15 last season mainly coming off the bench, so it’s not beyond the wildest dreams he does it again.
    I'd love it to happen, obviously.

But it's a flawed argument based on wishful thinking.  Just because there is a precedent doesn't mean that it will happen again.  Do you fancy Leicester for next season's Premier League title?

Aneke would do well to make it to the bench first before we talk about any potential impact and goals.
  • mendonca said:
    He didn't just score 3 goals though. Those goals won us huge points while we were nearing the relegation zone. We went into this season too light up front, then a further twist of selling Burstow and sending Davison on loan while we could have done with the latter's bustle if anything.
    Aneke has 2 goals for us. One which got us a point at Cheltenham, the other in a game we lost at Bolton. He has more yellow cards than goals.

We'd be well and truly sunk without that huge 1 point he's earned us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apologies, I didn't do my research while walking and typing. The header v Bolton was quite something. I feel we have hope when he's on the pitch. 

He might have caught covid and suffered badly, for all we know and receive information wise. We need to use him as our OGS and accept his contribution in goals/assists rather than minutes played. 

He really does need to work on his discipline, however. Similar to Innis last week. You cannot carry an injury prone player who also opts for the tightrope with suspension.

• Chunes said:
    Yeah, he can't play 90 minutes. That's a very accurate criticism. But it's not accurate to say he's always injured.
    Absolutely, I made this point before. Last season he wasn’t “always injured” at all, not like Inniss. Personally I’d always choose Aneke over Inniss, if Stockley stays fit and we can get Aneke available (even if only for 30 mins) for 40 league games then he can have a huge impact. 
    I wonder if your boss would put up with a similar input from you saying g we have him for 40 weeks a year for 2 days a week  !
    Unsurprisingly a stupid comparison from you. My business needs me to do my job for around 200 days a year. Aneke can help Charlton be successful with 30 ‘good days at the office’. 
    Of course it isn't.  We get sod all out of Aneke and never really have.  30 good days at the office is never going to happen unless there is a laying on of hands. Where are the 15 days in the last half of this season ? 

Unsurprisingly an idiotic summing up from you.
    Last season aneke wasn't injured and was our top scorer. Therefore, we have got something out of him and makes your sod all comment look rather stupid.
  • No it doesn't....he can't start a game often  as done  bugger all this year, 4 goals and onlyb2 for us in half a season. 

Try and live in the here and now instead of 'all our yesterdays.'

Bowyer could not wait till get shot of him...that says much.
    The same Bowyer that did his best to turn Aneke's head in the first place. 

He got shot of him to land Taylor.
  • Chunes said:
    I wonder if your boss would put up with a similar input from you saying g we have him for 40 weeks a year for 2 days a week  !
    Unsurprisingly a stupid comparison from you. My business needs me to do my job for around 200 days a year. Aneke can help Charlton be successful with 30 ‘good days at the office’. 
    Of course it isn't.  We get sod all out of Aneke and never really have.  30 good days at the office is never going to happen unless there is a laying on of hands. Where are the 15 days in the last half of this season ? 

Unsurprisingly an idiotic summing up from you.
    How many games did he play last season? 
  • edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    No it doesn't....he can't start a game often  as done  bugger all this year, 4 goals and onlyb2 for us in half a season. 

Bowyer could not wait till get shot of him...that says much.
    The same Bowyer that did his best to turn Aneke's head in the first place. 

He got shot of him to land Taylor.
    So you say....
    No the fact is Bowyer joined Birmingham then signed Aneke on a high salary. Not just what I say. 

Offer anyone Aneke or Taylor on similar wages and see who they choose.
  • edited April 2022
     All football clubs should do better than letting players go for free and resigning for fees months later.

Then don't pretend we're still the club we were 20 years ago.

• A good post Sage, not everyone was laughing at you when he said how much of an impact he could have, some of us agreed. No doubt he is a bit unreliable but doesn't mean he can't be an asset. 

Although your maths is way out so the comparison with Gilbey and Dobson can't be drawn. 
  • Sage said:
    So much crap spouted about Aneke it’s tiresome.

Aneke has featured in 68 games so far in the last 2 seasons, that could be 72 by the end of the season if he features in each of the last 4. That would average 36 games a season and guess what, that’s the same number as Dobson and Gilbey this season and is anyone saying about their lack of availability? Who cares if he doesn’t start games often at all? The moment he steps on the pitch he impacts it and more often than not will create a chance for himself or others, we don’t have anywhere near enough players with that ability. Aneke scored 15 league goals last season, 9 of them from the bench. His goal per minute ratio was around one every 100 minutes. Incredible record whatever way you want to dress it up.

He started 4 games in a row on his return to us because we had no other option, we gained 10 points from those 4. He also had a week to recover between each game other than when we went from Monday to Saturday with Portsmouth to Wimbledon. The following game was a midweek and so he was on the bench. We simply had to play him that much from the start, but it worked didn’t it? Without him and his presence, we would not have gained those points. People focus so much on the outputs of starts or whatever but not on the outcomes and influence on the pitch and that’s what really matters. But the outputs he has are still respectable anyway because even if he has missed a chunk in the last 2 months, he’s actually very rarely ‘unavailable’.

He’s a top player at this level. I said it before the start of last season, got laughed at, and yet was proved right. I said we didn’t replace him this season, Adkins wanted to go with Davison and look what happened. Not good enough, won’t be here next season. Aneke’s now back and next season when we have 4 good strikers, he won’t be required to be pushed through starting all the time but he will play when he’s ready and needed and he’ll score and impact games in the way we know he will.

Genuinely so tired of reading the same nonsense about him. You don’t have to agree on the length of contract, fine, but you don’t know the details behind it, his salary, the terms, his living situation, you only know he’s a recent new father but you don’t know him as a person, you don’t know him as a teammate, you don’t know him medically, emotionally, physically, nothing. The only thing you can do is judge him on his ability when he steps onto the pitch and that has been proven to be influential at this level and that is, simply, all we really should care about because that’s all you’re ever going to know and get.

Look forward to seeing him back out doing the business so these threads can be about how good he is because that’s all that really matters. 
    Wanted to, or wasn't given any other option?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!