Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Any of you older lifers remember David Fairclough Liverpool super sub?
    Don't remember Liverpool fans moaning that he was only used as a substitute often scoring goals.
    Don't remember Liverpool fans moaning that he was only used as a substitute often scoring goals.
    Probably because they had Keegan and Toshak, then Dalgish and Rush as their main strikers.

Which one of those you dropping?
  • Chunes said:
    You may be forgetting that Aneke was only converted to a number 9 at the tail end of that Championship season with us. So his goalscoring record can be taken with a large pinch of salt. Although he only got 1 goal that season ("1 goal chuks" lol) I think many people on here could see the potential he had playing in that position and he proved that the next year.

Also worth mentioning that re: Championship scoring records, Stockley's is woeful. He scored 1 goal in 16 Championship appearances in 20/21. And 4 goals in 32 appearances in 19/20. Preston fans deride him. He averages less than 5 a season. So if you're beating Chuks with that stick, the same applies to Jayden. 

I don't understand why all the focus is on Chuks at the moment. When the guy is on the pitch, he contributes massively for us, as he proved on Saturday. Gilbey also got a 3-year contract, plays a lot of minutes and contributes approximately f--- all but his thread isn't constantly popping up. 
    But he only added two assists that season too. His total career number of assists is 30 in 11 seasons. So, he has averaged less than 10 in total goals/assists per season over the course of his career. He's also racked up 56 yellow cards and 6 red cards in that time.

As I say, as a sub he offers the expensive icing on the cake but we have to find four other strikers and a few goal scoring midfielders too.
  • Off_it said:
    Any of you older lifers remember David Fairclough Liverpool super sub?
    Probably because they had Keegan and Toshak, then Dalgish and Rush as their main strikers.

Which one of those you dropping?
    Fair point Off it.
    But the manager at the time must have thought one of those strikers needed to be substituted during the game. 
    I thought the same before your post.
  • edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    You may be forgetting that Aneke was only converted to a number 9 at the tail end of that Championship season with us. So his goalscoring record can be taken with a large pinch of salt. Although he only got 1 goal that season ("1 goal chuks" lol) I think many people on here could see the potential he had playing in that position and he proved that the next year.

Also worth mentioning that re: Championship scoring records, Stockley's is woeful. He scored 1 goal in 16 Championship appearances in 20/21. And 4 goals in 32 appearances in 19/20. Preston fans deride him. He averages less than 5 a season. So if you're beating Chuks with that stick, the same applies to Jayden. 

I don't understand why all the focus is on Chuks at the moment. When the guy is on the pitch, he contributes massively for us, as he proved on Saturday. Gilbey also got a 3-year contract, plays a lot of minutes and contributes approximately f--- all but his thread isn't constantly popping up. 
    But he only added two assists that season too. His total career number of assists is 30 in 11 seasons. So, he has averaged less than 10 in total goals/assists per season over the course of his career. He's also racked up 56 yellow cards and 6 red cards in that time.

As I say, as a sub he offers the expensive icing on the cake but we have to find four other strikers and a few goal scoring midfielders too.
    For me, the relevant statistics for Chuks are the ones he has accumulated since he converted to a striker. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

For me, the relevant statistics for Chuks are the ones he has accumulated since he converted to a striker. 
    As long as that's in L1 because he's not good enough above that level - and he is fit and not suspended given that he has as many yellow and red cards as goals in the time he has been playing for us in the last two seasons - as a striker.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

As long as that's in L1 because he's not good enough above that level - and he is fit and not suspended given that he has as many yellow and red cards as goals in the time he has been playing for us in the last two seasons - as a striker.
    Lucky for us we're in league one! 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not so good if we do go up and he has two years left on his contract that will take him through to the age of 32 at a level he fires blanks at. And not so lucky that those 15 yellows and 2 reds were incurred when he was a player for us in League 1 either!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not so good if we do go up and he has two years left on his contract that will take him through to the age of 32 at a level he fires blanks at. And not so lucky that those 15 yellows and 2 reds were incurred when he was a player for us in League 1 either!
    IF we go up, a lot of players are not going to be good enough, but that's just football isn't it. I'd actually prefer we keep him, just because it didn't work out at Brum doesn't mean he couldn't do a job for us. But again, these are big IFs. One step at a time, we have to get out of this poxy league first. Having someone who reliably scores goals off the bench will help with that. 

You've really got an issue with those yellow cards eh. Nevermind our whole squad has the worst disciplinary record in the league!

ed- Just for the record:

Chuks: 5 reds in 364 games
    Stockley: 5 reds in 385 games
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

IF we go up, a lot of players are not going to be good enough, but that's just football isn't it. I'd actually prefer we keep him, just because it didn't work out at Brum doesn't mean he couldn't do a job for us. But again, these are big IFs. We have to get out of this poxy league first, and then that's a nice problem to have. 

You've really got an issue with those yellow cards eh. Nevermind our whole squad has the worst disciplinary record in the league. 
    I've only got an issue because I keep hearing about his goals per minute ratio. But then we find that he picks up as many cards as he does goals so we not only have to contend with his inability to start a game but then his ability to get himself suspended. 

And you keep banging on about the fact that he was only converted to a striker a couple of seasons ago when his average of 3 assists a season rather questions what he was doing before that? It didn't work out for him in the Championship for us or Birmingham or in Belgium - why at the age 30 would we expect him to improve on a record of 7 goals and 2 assists in 76 appearances? 

As I say, I believe that he will be the icing on the cake but unlikely to be the cake itself. And signing him with those doubts means that we have to have five strikers instead of four on our books which then, in turn, financially impacts on us in other areas - such as the need to find a couple of goal scoring/creative midfielders. 
  • edited April 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

IF we go up, a lot of players are not going to be good enough, but that's just football isn't it. I'd actually prefer we keep him, just because it didn't work out at Brum d hi mean he couldn't do a job for us. But again, these are big IFs. We have to get out of this poxy league first, and then that's a nice problem to have. 

You've really got an issue with those yellow cards eh. Nevermind our whole squad has the worst disciplinary record in the league. 
    I've only got an issue because I keep hearing about his goals per minute ratio. But then we find that he picks up as many cards as he does goals so we not only have to contend with his inability to start a game but then his ability to get himself suspended. 

And you keep banging on about the fact that he was only converted to a striker a couple of seasons ago when his average of 3 assists a season rather questions what he was doing before that? It didn't work out for him in the Championship for us or Birmingham or in Belgium - why at the age 30 would we expect him to improve on a record of 7 goals and 2 assists in 76 appearances? 

As I say, I believe that he will be the icing on the cake but unlikely to be the cake itself. And signing him with those doubts means that we have to have five strikers instead of four on our books which then, in turn, financially impacts on us in other areas - such as the need to find a couple of goal scoring/creative midfielders. 
    It feels like an odd stick to beat him with, that's all. Yellow cards. Ok. Chuks does always get booked. Is he always suspended?

For more context I looked up two players (Gilbey and Pearce) and Gilbey has a much higher yellow-cards-to-games ratio than Chuks. I can't be bothered to look at any more. But that was just two players. 

As for his record before he converted to a striker, I don't understand the point you're trying to make. He's good for us now, he regularly scores goals in this league as a 9, but it sounds like you're criticising him for not scoring goals for other clubs in the past, while playing in a different position, or in a higher division. What does it matter?
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

IF we go up, a lot of players are not going to be good enough, but that's just football isn't it. I'd actually prefer we keep him, just because it didn't work out at Brum d hi mean he couldn't do a job for us. But again, these are big IFs. We have to get out of this poxy league first, and then that's a nice problem to have. 

It feels like an odd stick to beat him with, that's all. Yellow cards. Ok. Chuks does always get booked. Is he always suspended?

For more context I looked up two players (Gilbey and Pearce) and Gilbey has a much higher yellow-cards-to-games ratio than Chuks. I can't be bothered to look at any more. And that was just two players. 

As for his record before he converted to a striker, I don't understand the point you're trying to make. He's good for us now, he regularly scores goals in this league as a 9, but it sounds like you're criticising him for not scoring goals for other clubs in the past, while playing in a different position, or in a higher division. What does it matter?
    Since he re-joined us on 14th January we have played 19 games and in those 19 games he's scored 3 goals. How is that scoring regularly for us? 

Aneke only plays a certain number of minutes, either because he can't start or because he doesn't even make the matchday squad in the first place which is why we need five and not four strikers - there are always going to be doubts about what, if any, form his participation will be and we cannot wait for the next transfer window to rectify the situation if he and when he is absent again or because two of our other three strikers are out as happened with Washington and Stockley. The difference between Aneke and those two is that they can start when fit.

• Chunes said:

Aneke is a bit part who is constantly injured in some way or recovering, Gilbey lasts a full 90 minutes and is not as bad as you say. Another scape goat.
    Some might say Aneke is your scapegoat.
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

Aneke is a bit part who is constantly injured in some way or recovering, Gilbey lasts a full 90 minutes and is not as bad as you say. Another scape goat.
    Not really . It is a fact that is injured more often  than not and could barely raise more than a jog on Saturday after what is virtually a close season lay off since February.  Or is that a figment  of my imagination. 
    It is a fact that he plays more than he is injured, but you've never let the facts get in the way before.
    He's had 2 day's training since February and still scored within 10/15 mins of coming on.
  • Well said. 
  • Scoham said:
    Chunes said:

Not really . It is a fact that is injured more often  than not and could barely raise more than a jog on Saturday after what is virtually a close season lay off since February.  Or is that a figment  of my imagination. 
    It is a fact that he plays more than he is injured, but you've never let the facts get in the way before.
    He's had 2 day's training since February and still scored within 10/15 mins of coming on.
    If you think he plays more than he is injured since January,  then you are confused or deluded. 2 days training since February is hardly much. You are blinded by a goal that landed nicely without him moving just as Morecambe defenders moved away . Hardly athletic prowess.
    Mate, you've added the word January, you really are as thick as arseholes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Aneke on as a 78th minute sub.
    Aneke gets an assist for Washington 80th minute.
  • Smashes in another appearance today!
  • Aneke on as a 78th minute sub.
    Aneke gets an assist for Washington 80th minute.
    An exquisite cross from Chuks.
  • Goal and an assist in the last two games. Twenty minutes in total?
  • edited April 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Goal and an assist in the last two games. Twenty minutes in total?
    Got to be equal to Albie Morgan number this season for goals and assists in just 20 mins.
  • edited April 2022
    Love Chuks
  • Awful. What's the point acknowledging that he scored, as he didn't start.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!