Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

•  Will pick up at least a couple of injuries this season that will see him miss a few weeks at least. 

Always been that way and won’t change now. Just need adequate back up when that happens.

• We should be expecting a min of 60 mins in pre season against Welling United!
  • shirty5 said:
     Will pick up at least a couple of injuries this season that will see him miss a few weeks at least. 

Always been that way and won’t change now. Just need adequate back up when that happens.

He needs to be the back up, someone at least equally as good that can play a full game if required, is of far more value to the team.
  • paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:
     Will pick up at least a couple of injuries this season that will see him miss a few weeks at least. 

He needs to be the back up, someone at least equally as good that can play a full game if required, is of far more value to the team.
    And probably unaffordable 
  • paulfox said:
    shirty5 said:

And probably unaffordable 
    Almost certainly🤷🏻‍♂️, probably explains the perseverance with Chuks. 
  • edited July 2022
    Chuks has averaged 33.6 games per season over the past 5 years. Gilbey (just for example, not a player people consider injury prone) has averaged 34.4.

(Yes, I know Chuks wasn't playing 90 minutes for a lot of those games, you don't need to tell me - but he's not always injured)
  • Technically speaking Chuks is always injured or about to be injured, but then aren't we all. We need a striker to compete with Stockley as a starter, with them both knowing that if they haven't scored by the 65th minute Chuks is coming on to absolutely ruin a journeyman centre back's afternoon. It'll be a good spot to be in.
    Let’s hope we have him available to come off the bench regularly.  That’s not a given. 

3 years on his contract remaining as well.  I think he’s got some great attributes, but 3 years of this is going to be quite frustrating 
  • cabbles said:
    Technically speaking Chuks is always injured or about to be injured, but then aren't we all. We need a striker to compete with Stockley as a starter, with them both knowing that if they haven't scored by the 65th minute Chuks is coming on to absolutely ruin a journeyman centre back's afternoon. It'll be a good spot to be in.
    Let’s hope we have him available to come off the bench regularly.  That’s not a given. 

3 years on his contract remaining as well.  I think he’s got some great attributes, but 3 years of this is going to be quite frustrating 
    He can be a ticking timebomb aswell when things aren’t going well, so if he stays fit you have to hope he’s not missing games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We all know his game time limitations, however, he is the best impact sub in the division. Couldn’t care less if he only plays 20 mins a game if he scores 15 goals again in those minutes. Stockley will get 20+ playing 70 mins per game. We do still need another striker to fill in from the start when Stockley is not available but that doesn’t detract from the fact that Aneke is a fantastic option to change a game when needed.
    Absolutely this. If we can sign a decent second striker then Aneke’s inability to start doesn’t matter. We go with Stockley, Leaburn and Aneke and we can be in trouble. 
  • We all know his game time limitations, however, he is the best impact sub in the division. Couldn’t care less if he only plays 20 mins a game if he scores 15 goals again in those minutes. Stockley will get 20+ playing 70 mins per game. We do still need another striker to fill in from the start when Stockley is not available but that doesn’t detract from the fact that Aneke is a fantastic option to change a game when needed.
    Agreed. Great impact sub.

Stil, pretty remarkable that we have ended up with the only player in professional football who gets visibly upset if required to play more than 30 minutes in a game. 
    Occasionally maybe. However while paying  him to be a medical couch tester we cannot employ and pay someone else who is match fit 3 times in a week because of the money management strictures. Unless he works for free and even then there is a body count in operation. 
    There were players in our squad last year taking up wages and a squad space who played far less minutes and effected games far less than Aneke will this year. Squads will always have players who play less, Aneke will at least score goals to aid our seasonal objectives. 
    Do any other teams division have a player whose roll is only that of ‘impact sub’?

You can’t even rotate Aneke out with Stockley over a congested Saturday/Tuesday schedule because we know he will break down. 

What are the stats for how many points are won or lost in the last 20 minutes of a game? For me it does not matter if Aneke comes on and can score goals during this period when the squad and team as a whole are affected by his inability to cover our 1st choice striker being injured or suspended.

Of course we can always get a quality 3rd striker in. However which other quality striker wants to come in knowing that we are going to play one CF, and that they will essentially be third choice when Stockley and Aneke are fit and will have limited game time. 

How much of the wage budget are we spending on that player? Why are they not going to go to a team where they know they will get guaranteed game time?

Do any other teams division have a player whose roll is only that of ‘impact sub’?

You can’t even rotate Aneke out with Stockley over a congested Saturday/Tuesday schedule because we know he will break down. 

What are the stats for how many points are won or lost in the last 20 minutes of a game? For me it does not matter if Aneke comes on and can score goals during this period when the squad and team as a whole are affected by his inability to cover our 1st choice striker being injured or suspended.

Of course we can always get a quality 3rd striker in. However which other quality striker wants to come in knowing that we are going to play one CF, and that they will essentially be third choice when Stockley and Aneke are fit and will have limited game time. 

How much of the wage budget are we spending on that player? Why are they not going to go to a team where they know they will get guaranteed game time?

It was a ludicrous signing .  We can only hope that they have a good loan lined up - someone that can play wide and up front and is a guaranteed starter in each position - like a KAG type player - they don’t grow on trees. 
  • As suggested by someone above, Aneke should be the first name on the bench.

That's his role: super sub. 

He's not cover to start for a perhaps injured Stockley.
    And I wouldn't want to put that responsibility entirely on the promising but only 18 and very raw Leaburn.

Yep, we need a player who can cover for an injured Stockley.
    Unless the plan is to amend the game plan to do without a conventional number 9 at such a time - and play Jack Payne as a 'false 9'.

That'll confuse the oppo. And us! :smile:

• Don’t worry guys, this is all part of Ben G’s master plan to keep Accy guessing next weekend!
  • Sponsored links:

• He’s 29, I don’t think anything is going to change on that front sadly.  
    Could do , he looks weak and puny 
  • Don’t worry guys, this is all part of Ben G’s master plan to keep Accy guessing next weekend!
    The only masterplan I want it to be a part of is one that ends up with us signing a new first team striker!
  • Scan on Monday....great. Didn't see him at the Valley today. Egbo and the players from yday where up there. Mmmh.
  • edited July 2022
    LouisMend said:
    Well, Ben Garner's talking absolute tosh there isn't he. I'm sure i read on here that Chuks has no problem with his fitness and has played more games than anyone else ....... apparently. 
  • The human body is a wonderful yet weird thing. If you look at Chucks he is a proper unit but obviously made of glass and then you look at players like Dobson who tackle all day long with legs that look like spindles and they just shake the knocks off it seems
  • Why the rush? We are likely to be playing one striker who will be Stockley. How can the club persuade a top quality player to come when they can be confident of being the third option for one place when everyone is fit?
  • Chucks is built like a light heavyweight boxer and not a modern day footballer. I’m not sure energetic bursts of speed, twisting and turning are something his body can cope with. Certainly not week in week out. 
  • edited July 2022
    I’m not a sports scientist but surely the medical team have tried many things with him, his legs just look dead when he is running, they must of tried to reduce the muscle mass a bit? He reminds of the times people used to say frank bruno was muscle bound, that lack of mobility. But then are they keeping the muscle on to help another issue? Guess we’ll never know whilst he is playing, trouble is I think it causes us more trouble than it’s maybe worth.
  • Chucks is built like a light heavyweight boxer and not a modern day footballer. I’m not sure energetic bursts of speed, twisting and turning are something his body can cope with. Certainly not week in week out. 
    He has been a football player for years. Nobody spots it until now ? That would  be a surprise. 
    His fitness levels are for an athlete appalling. Not suggesting in any way it’s his fault. A fit Chuks is a real asset but having a footballer who can’t ever play 90 minutes is a concern and in many respects a liability. Hopefully he can have an impact for us this year but if he can’t stay fit then he’s really just clogging up a squad place. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!