Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terry Skiverton - gone to AFC Wimbledon with Jacko (p10)

Comments

• Options
    Can we have one of those 100% banners at the top?
  • Options
    Seems like a great guy from a one club background. Welcome Terry and good luck. I can’t help thinking though that bringing in someone who’s just got his badges and is looking forward to learning the role on the job isn’t quite what we need to help someone who has just got his badges and is learning the role on the job. Or am I just being Mr Miserable?
  • Options
    Always had the impression the Euell preferred the coaching side of things and working closely with players rather than worrying too much about tactics etc. Though its obvious he wants a top job at some point, I think being a coach will be his long term calling personally. 
  • Options
    Seems like a great guy from a one club background. Welcome Terry and good luck. I can’t help thinking though that bringing in someone who’s just got his badges and is looking forward to learning the role on the job isn’t quite what we need to help someone who has just got his badges and is learning the role on the job. Or am I just being Mr Miserable?
    It is only the badges that he will have only just got, he has been assistant, caretaker, assistant again etc since 2012 I think, so the experience is there. Just fresh badges.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    It is only the badges that he will have only just got, he has been assistant, caretaker, assistant again etc since 2012 I think, so the experience is there. Just fresh badges.
    Yes, he's got a lot of practical experience and done a lot of work already. It's only getting the formal qualifications that is more recent. 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Fair point.  I think I was just expecting someone with higher level experience to push Jacko on rather than someone who’s entire career has been at or largely below our current level. Hopefully it works out. 
  • Options
    Charlton could really benefit from a more experienced assistant manager/coach along side JJ, and I would assume JE would return to the u23's,  hopefully this role will satisfy him. 
    Euell will return to being first team coach .. part of three man management team 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Fair point.  I think I was just expecting someone with higher level experience to push Jacko on rather than someone who’s entire career has been at or largely below our current level. Hopefully it works out. 
    I think there's an argument that some of our problems as a club could be due to trying to run before we walk. Appointing people like Roddy, Mumford etc when we're still an average (at best) League One side shows admirable ambition but perhaps its best to focus on where we are right now rather than where we'd like to be.

We are working with league one players right now, so we need someone who is going to know how to coach and motivate them rather than aiming for the stars and falling short. 

If this is a JJ appointment, he'll grow and get the experience alongside the club in an organic way - hopefully. 
  • Options
    Charlton could really benefit from a more experienced assistant manager/coach along side JJ, and I would assume JE would return to the u23's,  hopefully this role will satisfy him. 
    We already have a long term U23s coach.

JJ has said that they have been a coach short since Adkins left so this appointment (WIOTOS) just brings us back to where we were at the start of the season in terms of numbers.  Maybe still one short as Grant Basey isn't involved with the first team anymore it seems.

I expect JE to stay although in exactly which role isn't clear. Asst Manager or first team coach?   

No clue as to how happy he'll be about that.  We know he applied for the AFC Wimbledon manager's job so he is ambitious.
    He is ambitious and I wish him good luck in his quest to become a manager, and he was my choice in front of JJ. 

However, I am not sure if I would appoint someone as my assistant knowing that he wanted to leave if a suitable job came up as I would want someone committed to working with me and seeing the job through. I would guess this is why JJ wanted his own choice, and I trust his judgment in making that choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Makes sense as an established league one side to appoint somebody who has never played above it.
    The squad will be in awe of him and the best players  will flock to the club based on his reputation.
    I'm sure Thomas is recording a metal version of The Wurzels classic "Rock around the A38", before proclaiming he's gonna blow (his) league one (duck) out of the (bath)water.
    I have already changed my tipple of choice to cider.
    Rock on Charlton, I think I've just cum
    He has managed at this level.

Good job social media didnt exist in 95 when Curbs appointed his then assistant 
    I should probably have put a winky thing after my post, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Dizzle said:
    I think there's an argument that some of our problems as a club could be due to trying to run before we walk. Appointing people like Roddy, Mumford etc when we're still an average (at best) League One side shows admirable ambition but perhaps its best to focus on where we are right now rather than where we'd like to be.

We are working with league one players right now, so we need someone who is going to know how to coach and motivate them rather than aiming for the stars and falling short. 

If this is a JJ appointment, he'll grow and get the experience alongside the club in an organic way - hopefully. 
    Two very different sides of the club though. The operational side of the business had been ripped out after years of the spivs, Duchatelet/Meire and the thieves and needs to be fixed as much as the team does. 
  • Options
    Welcome. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Unexpected but some fresh experience from outside the Charlton bubble isn’t a bad thing. Hopefully Euell is cool with it. 
    Euell doesn’t have the time to commit to being our assistant manager because of his England duties. He’s missed games of ours already remember. That’s why Jacko wanted someone else in.
  • Options
    One name Lennie Lawrence our best manager ever came from Plymouth coaching team … 

Can’t believe some of the comments we really have some right idiots following ( not supporters ) Charlton at the moment ….
    It’s ridiculous. Modern football fans in a nutshell. 
  • Options
    I don’t mind this at all seems a good bloke and hopefully can get a reaction out of some of the players

I happen to know for fact that Roy Keane threw his hat in for the main job back in December so clearly TS isn’t fussed about big names it’s about getting the right people at this level to get the best out of the players 
  • Options
    If he can keep players on their toes, help identify talent in lower leagues , gets on with Jacko , then whats not to like?
  • Options
    If he can keep players on their toes, help identify talent in lower leagues , gets on with Jacko , then whats not to like?
    Agreed. A few people are saying it’s a harsh on Euell - but we don’t even know if he actually wanted to be assistant manager anyway. No doubt it will all be explained if and when Skiverton is appointed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Jacko must have endorsed this .  Maybe they did badges together.  Good news to have another coach on board 
    After all that time and legend status at Yeovil, it seems to me it would take quite an offer to prise him away. Either that or he knows Jacko well enough to think he’s doing the right thing.  
    Midtable NL to League 1 is a big jump up the football ladder. Realistically Yeovil aren't going to get promoted against the super rich clubs in the NL either
    He has managed at this level before though, so it's not like we've plucked some guy from a sunday league team.
    I'm talking about now, and the attractiveness of the Charlton job to HIM, not whether he's good enough.

NL to a "big" L1 side in anyone's book is a massive promotion, more money, more "status", better players to work with, MUCH better facilities
  • Options
    Is this official BTW?
  • Options
    Agreed. A few people are saying it’s a harsh on Euell - but we don’t even know if he actually wanted to be assistant manager anyway. No doubt it will all be explained if and when Skiverton is appointed. 
    I personally believe Euell did want it and it's Jacko that wanted him as coach with an experienced assistant manager. This is only an opinion based on little facts but it seems to have been the intentions quite early on. 

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Is this official BTW?
    WIOTOS as @Henry Irving would say, so far lot's of speculation with nothing official...but why not discuss a possible rumour.. B)
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Unexpected but some fresh experience from outside the Charlton bubble isn’t a bad thing. Hopefully Euell is cool with it. 
    Quite frankly I couldn't give a flying fuck what Euell thinks about it. 

Remember how successful Dowie and Adkins where when they had their backroom team appointed for them and were given some players?

Remember how much arsenal improved when Wenger just got given players?

Remember all those trophies Man United won after Fegie was told who his number 2 would be?

If this is, as I suspect, Jackson's choice we might finally be going down the right path.  If its not he will be gone well before May.  Pick the manager, back the manager and if it upsets some good chaps along the way so be it. 

I think the years of loyal service from Euell means we should “give a flying fuck what he thinks”. We shouldn’t change our decisions necessarily based on his opinions, but basic courtesy is in order.
    Euell may well tell 'em to shove it up their Jackski.
  • Options
    Loyalty, the other way round, from employee to club, only seems to come about on the very rare occasions (Matt Le Tissier seeing out his career at Southampton, save a few nl matches, and Craig Bellamy finishing his career at his boyhood club, when he could've arguably got better terms elsewhere, are 2 that stand out for me, though there's gonna be more), so maybe not "giving a f***" what JE thinks was the wrong choice of words, but in truth, it has nothing to do with him and I'm pretty sure he'll be gone if or when he gets a better offer elsewhere, and good luck to him if he does
  • Options
    Bellamy stands out? Not sure that deserves to be in the same category as players like Le Tissier. He was in his mid 30's, doubt he could have done much better and he went back to Cardiff for personal reasons didn't he?
  • Options
    It's not about Euall it's about giving Jackson the best chance of being successful. 

Or do we just want Euall to stick around for when Jackson fucks it up or fucks off, because statistically he is highly likely to do one or the other.  Then make Euall manager because its his turn and he deserves it?  Then Hayes, then who ever is the u12s coach is.

If the manager is 100% responsible for the results he needs to have the best chance to succeed.  Sometimes there has to be some collateral damage. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Skiverton has management experience with Yeovil so maybe he's come in as an experienced assistant manager + manager in waiting if things don't work out. 

Would be good to have an outside view on things and how the coaching is going especially. 
  • Options
    Skiverton has management experience with Yeovil so maybe he's come in as an experienced assistant manager + manager in waiting if things don't work out. 

Would be good to have an outside view on things and how the coaching is going especially. 
    I think this is one of the most important things about this (hypothetical) appointment - whilst promoting from the inside is great for maintaining certain values and attitudes we want to keep, maybe there's some things that need to change, or be refreshed a bit.

From the sound of it, Skiverton is someone who knows Jackson and they apparently get on but possibly having someone willing to call it when things aren't working or to play devil's advocate on the training ground might be a benefit. 

Not to say that Euell can't or won't do that but if he is thinking of his own future then he might be holding his tongue somewhat whereas someone like Skiverton may be less restrained. 

(Admittedly all hypothetical but I think it follows logically enough.)