Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 8 February 2022 | Kick-Off: 20:00
Live on Charlton TV (UK included) 
To purchase your live stream: https://charltonafcpayments.streamamg.com/account/register/step1 

Referee: Ben Toner (Lancashire) - previously officiated a Charlton match in March 2019 in our 1-1 draw away at Doncaster Rovers.

Introduction
Three wins on the spin, a first goal for Famewo, new signings to be added to the mix, and a move up into the top half of the table, things suddenly look a lot brighter for Jackson's Addicks. When you put into context of where we were when he took over, an impressive 30 points have been accumulated in 16 league games - it begs the question that if the sacking of Adkins had come earlier, where we would be? Maybe no better off, but results do suggest otherwise. Arguably, he could and probably should have gone after the reverse fixture of our next opponents, Bolton Wanderers.

Opposition
Manager: Ian Evatt (43.9% win rate) | Stadium: University of Bolton Stadium
League Position: 10th | Nickname(s): The Trotters, The Wanderers
League Form: LWWWWD

Bolton Wanderers travelled to Morecambe in their last league fixture, drawing 1-1. Their line up was:

Trafford
Aimson | Santos | Johnston
Fossey | Williams | Morley | John
Lee
Charles | Afolayan

Bolton's draw away at Morecambe was not without drama and huge talking points. Captain Santos was sent off for handball, handing Morecambe a penalty that was consequently saved. Stockton, who took the penalty, scored moments later though but the Bolton fans threw objects at Morecambe players and the trouble spilled elsewhere. It got so bad that the referee stopped play and brought everyone in for 10 minutes. However, it unfortunately got worse. Substitute Bakayoko was on the receiving end of racist abuse from so called Morecambe 'fans' but thankfully, he got the last laugh by scoring a dramatic equaliser in the 90+14 minute.   

On other matters, the Trotters used the January window to really strengthen with 7 signings altogether, some going in what is a notoriously difficult window. The options they have at their disposal now is far stronger in depth than they had before. Charles signed from Accrington Stanley, Bödvarsson from Millwall, Sadlier from Rotherham, Dempsey from Gillingham, Morely from Rochdale, Fossey from Fulham on loan, and Trafford from Man City on loan. It makes it difficult to know how Bolton will fare as although their form has been very strong including that amazing 6-0 victory against Sunderland, it's almost a new team mid-way through the season. But make no mistake, even as new players still get to know each other, they are unbeaten at home since the middle of October and have only lost to the top 2 at home this season. Getting 3 points back to SE7 is gong to be a challenge.

Charlton Team News
With fixtures coming fast, we are now surely going to see a few changes to the side. Blackett-Taylor was brilliant against Portsmouth but unfortunately felt his hamstring early on against AFC Wimbledon, it's highly likely that he won't travel to the north west on this occasion but we can hope that he will be available to do the same trip just a few days later against Wigan. Jaiyesimi came on for him though and played out of his skin. The assist for Washington's goal was as good as you'll see this season.

Question marks remain as to whether Inniss can play games in such quick succession and being without the man mountain will be a huge loss as we have seen his attributes in both boxes recently. If Lavelle was match fit, I would prefer him to come in for Pearce as he's stronger in the air and Pearce had a torrid time against Charles last season, we aren't going to want a repeat of that. Up top you would assume that Aneke will drop to the bench ready to come back in on Saturday. If so, Burstow will start alongside Washington. Elsewhere, Fraser will be looking to make his first start since joining on deadline day. Who the creative midfielder comes in for though is a tough call.

Subs: Henderson, Inniss, Purrington, Fraser, Lee, Leko, Aneke

Prediction
A really tough game even after 3 wins on the spin. Confidence though will be high going into a game where the league positions are only separated by Bolton scoring 3 more goals than us this season. What's incredible is they have scored more than 2 in a game on 6 occasions, we have managed that only twice. The difference is we regularly score goals, just not many of them. The unbeaten run is set to continue on Tuesday, making it 5 as we cement our place in mid table... this is though, a fixture that I anticipate will be of two teams who make up the top 6 next season.

Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Charlton Athletic
Washington

Comments

• Options
    Great preview as always mate... Wont be surprised if Lavelle comes in to the starting eleven, especially as he was warming up on the pitch yesterday - Can then have Pearce replacing him after 70mins - Guess the alternate option to your team is for Purrington to replace Matthews, with Jaiyesimi operating on his usual flank.

Said it yesterday, but hope we can show the same energetic type performance, we've looked leggy too often after playing a game of high intensity, so wont be overly surprised if its the same Tuesday.

Surprised that James Trafford has gone from Accrington to Bolton, although (until I just checked to avoid looking silly) I didnt think he'd been getting any game time at the former.
  • Options
    It's an 8pm kick off 
    It is indeed. Thank you.
  • Options
    Hard to predict the team here. Think JJ won’t want to change a winning formula to much, but I think we’ve already seen that the high intensity style he demands means that we can look very leggy in these midweek fixtures. 

I think Pearce/Lavelle for Innis is a definite, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see one/or even two completely different wingbacks starting as well. Though of course changing the defence up that much could be disastrous on its own, so it’s certainly a tough problem to manage.

I feel like Fraser will come straight in, and as mentioned Burstow for Aneke is a likely change. Just so frustrating that Stockley is injured as rotating him and Aneke is ridiculous - though either way our squad depth feels very strong at the moment. 

Tough game, but if we can somehow nick a win here it takes even more pressure of the Wigan game if we really want to do something miraculous this year.

• Options
    Great preview as always mate... Wont be surprised if Lavelle comes in to the starting eleven, especially as he was warming up on the pitch yesterday - Can then have Pearce replacing him after 70mins - Guess the alternate option to your team is for Purrington to replace Matthews, with Jaiyesimi operating on his usual flank.

Said it yesterday, but hope we can show the same energetic type performance, we've looked leggy too often after playing a game of high intensity, so wont be overly surprised if its the same Tuesday.

Surprised that James Trafford has gone from Accrington to Bolton, although (until I just checked to avoid looking silly) I didnt think he'd been getting any game time at the former.
    Against opponents like Charles, as much as Pearce loves a scrap, he’s just too big and mobile for him to be dragged around the place. I would hope Lavelle comes in but I really can’t see it. Pearce comes back and takes the armband.

DJ, I actually think is better on the left. He slows the game down too much and is too predictable on the right. On the left yesterday, because he’s also good with his left foot, he could keep them guessing more. Matthews I thought was solid enough yesterday. Purrington seems to potentially be 3rd or even 4th choice (if Castillo is fit) all of a sudden. I like him but I actually think we’ll move away from Purrington on the summer.
  • Options
    If we don't utilise John and/or Castillo, the PL clubs won't be in a rush to loan us players in the future I feel.
  • Options
    A draw would be a very good result from such a grim fixture.
  • Options
    Anyone know why we’re kicking off at 8?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Now we are as good as safe comes the test of how good we really are.  Now we have got 4 games against teams we will have to finish above to get in the play offs.

After nearly 30 games I am still not quite sure how good we really are.  I don't think we are as bad as we have been in some games, even under Jackson, or as good as we have been in some others.  I think if you take the best 5 and worse 5 performances out you get exactly what we are.  A team that will beat the worst teams by a goal or two and get beat by the best ones by the odd goal.

We aren't far away from having a very good team, we aren't there yet though.  I think Bolton are a bit like us run hot then cold.  

A Desmond that does neither of us much good is my guess. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nice preview thank you.

I predict another Tuesday night northern meltdown under the floodlights of Bolton.

Opposition teams now know exactly how to counter our predictable and rigid 5-3-2 system and despite the welcome wins, we are not playing much in the way of decent football.   

Bolton 2-1 with Fraser to get a consolation late on. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Despite the results the last two home games have shown we need a captain talking to a defence that needs a talking to, ie innis and Famewo in particular. Both great players, hey they even scored, but not a tight unit as it stands and prone to leave gaps. Pearce does that job particularly well though I completely forgot about lavelle who was a captain previously. I quite fancy charlton to win this by one or two goals
  • Options
    Head says we’re going to lose the next two. Heart says we’re going to take 4 points and keep the ludicrous play off dream alive.
  • Options

Nice preview thank you.

I predict another Tuesday night northern meltdown under the floodlights of Bolton.

Opposition teams now know exactly how to counter our predictable and rigid 5-3-2 system and despite the welcome wins, we are not playing much in the way of decent football.   

What formation do you want us to play?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We still give away too many goals. I’d be happy with a draw with this one. Bolton 2 - Charlton 0
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    I think the Aneke was substitution on Saturday was with Tuesday solely in mind. Given that, and how toothless we were after he went off, I think Aneke will start.

Fraser is the other one, but maybe again Jacko will bide his time with that and wait for the obvious moment.

Big game. As others have said, will be a good gauge of where we are at. IF we can win it, it gives us a free hit at Wigan at the weekend.
    I must have been watching a different game - I thought he we were a lot more lively when Aneke went off . 
  • Options
    2-1 Bolton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    If we don't utilise John and/or Castillo, the PL clubs won't be in a rush to loan us players in the future I feel.
    We already agreed to loan John for next season .. if we want him 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Tough night up north.

2-1 T'norverners
  • Options
    Bolton is one of them grounds that we have been truly awful at … so not expecting to much on Tuesday …..just not our lucky ground …. Can we switch the game to Portsmouth …
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I think the Aneke was substitution on Saturday was with Tuesday solely in mind. Given that, and how toothless we were after he went off, I think Aneke will start.

Fraser is the other one, but maybe again Jacko will bide his time with that and wait for the obvious moment.

Big game. As others have said, will be a good gauge of where we are at. IF we can win it, it gives us a free hit at Wigan at the weekend.
    I must have been watching a different game - I thought he we were a lot more lively when Aneke went off . 
    That's interesting. I don't have the stats so I may be wrong, but I felt we completely lacked the ability to hold the ball up in the final 1/3. I Thought Burstow showed a couple of nice touches into feet on the half way line which brought the midfield into play well and that Fraser had a really decent 20 minute cameo looking calm and composed on the ball.

I just felt that in and around the box we lost the ability to apply pressure and suddenly looked like we weren't going to score. Aneke was bossing those defenders allowing Washington a lot more time and space. After he went off, Washington was a lot more closely guarded and was forced to do far more work by the touchline instead of through the middle.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Win this and every one of us football romantics will start talking about making the play offs 

Oxford away at Accrington and Wycombe at home to Shrewsbury 
  • Options

Nice preview thank you.

Every time we have a sticky patch it's the formations fault.  Formations, by and large, don't win or lose you football matches.  Players and tactics do. If one system was significantly better than another, all things being equal, everyone would play the same wouldn't they? 

Bowyer - it was the diamonds fault.
    Akins - 433/4231 doesn't work.
    Jackson - 352 is rigid, turgid and any other negative adjective.

Part of me wants us to play a flat 442 in the last 5 games for no other reason that to shut everyone up about it.  It's 2022 not 1992.  There is a reason no one plays it.  You need 3 central midfielders in the modern game. 

Even Neil Warnock worked that out in the end and played 3 at the back, so he could get two strikers in.  For the first time in his career.  He was over 70.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:

That's interesting. I don't have the stats so I may be wrong, but I felt we completely lacked the ability to hold the ball up in the final 1/3. I Thought Burstow showed a couple of nice touches into feet on the half way line which brought the midfield into play well and that Fraser had a really decent 20 minute cameo looking calm and composed on the ball.

I just felt that in and around the box we lost the ability to apply pressure and suddenly looked like we weren't going to score. Aneke was bossing those defenders allowing Washington a lot more time and space. After he went off, Washington was a lot more closely guarded and was forced to do far more work by the touchline instead of through the middle.
    Yes he was giving them something to think about but he actually only held it up and laid it off a couple of times.  
  • Options
    The problem is without Aneke on, out forwards are all quite meek. They have other qualities that can perhaps be dovetailed with Fraser.
  • Options
    What sort of manager would JJ be if he changed when we have won 9 drawn 3 and lost 4 in the League since he picked the team and 3-5-2. We will continue to be erratic as who are the best wing backs at Cafc ? It changes on a match by match basis as CBT and DJ are still learning the position and Purrington has done well at times but is slow at getting back !

Players have to play well in any formation or it breaks down. We have the energy midfield now but we still need better control which hopefully Fraser can give Cafc as he gets match fit as he didn't seem to play much at Ipswich after being put out wide on the left.

The dozen or so CL members who have tried difference formations as Manager's/ coaches know only too well whether kids football or adults you need decent players with a football brain to carry it out; and luck!