Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Shows my apathy towards this season, that I didn’t even realise Dempsey had left Gillingham and for just £180k until I read the match preview. Maybe Scully didn’t want to sell to us but I think he will be a bargain at that price.

Winnable game, but also losable too so will settle for a 1-1 draw.

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Anyone know why we’re kicking off at 8?

All Bolton midweek home games kick off at 8.00pm.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Nice preview thank you.

I predict another Tuesday night northern meltdown under the floodlights of Bolton.

Opposition teams now know exactly how to counter our predictable and rigid 5-3-2 system and despite the welcome wins, we are not playing much in the way of decent football.   

Bolton 2-1 with Fraser to get a consolation late on. 
    What formation do you want us to play?
    I am not suggesting the formation is necessarily wrong, only that the opposition know exactly how we will play one week before we turn up.

• Options
    That applies to every team ?
    Other than Man city who with Aguero they had a main striker but with Sterling and Jesus they play a false number 9 but because of the skill level of their team they can still attack with 6 in the box.

We are not Man city (no shit Sherlock) but if we really play well we are winning more than we are losing under the 3-5-2 Flexible system 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Nice preview thank you.

I predict another Tuesday night northern meltdown under the floodlights of Bolton.

Opposition teams now know exactly how to counter our predictable and rigid 5-3-2 system and despite the welcome wins, we are not playing much in the way of decent football.   

I am not suggesting the formation is necessarily wrong, only that the opposition know exactly how we will play one week before we turn up.

We know exactly how Wigan, Oxford, MK Dons and Rotherham are going to play months before they turn up.......
  • Options
    Shows my apathy towards this season, that I didn’t even realise Dempsey had left Gillingham and for just £180k until I read the match preview. Maybe Scully didn’t want to sell to us but I think he will be a bargain at that price.

Winnable game, but also losable too so will settle for a 1-1 draw.

There's life after Dempsey. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Come on Jacko, let's have it. 

All out from the off. 3-1 Win. 

MacGillivray

Clare - Inniss - Famewo

Matthews - Gilbey - Dobson - Fraser - Jaiyesimi

Washington - Aneke

Cafc43v3r said:

Nice preview thank you.

Every time we have a sticky patch it's the formations fault. 
    Especially if you think we're in a rigid 5-3-2 despite our formation regularly switching from 3-5-2 to 3-1-4-2 (not sure I define this differently to a 3-5-2, but have seen others do so) to 5-3-2 depending on whether we're attacking on defending! 
  • Options
    Notlob are back in peak form after an inexplicable slump .. this will be a very difficult game, I'd be happy with a draw, not happy, in fact delighted to come away with a point .. here's hoping

Bolton Wanderers 1 v CAFC !
  • Options
    1-1. Expecting a couple of changes. Think will see Innis & Morgan rested for this one

Going to be a very tough game against side who will be amongst the top 6 come end of the season.

• Options
    Well John and Castillo won't be involved.  It does look like we are playing the long game with these 2.  Which isn't a bad thing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I think the Aneke was substitution on Saturday was with Tuesday solely in mind. Given that, and how toothless we were after he went off, I think Aneke will start.

Fraser is the other one, but maybe again Jacko will bide his time with that and wait for the obvious moment.

Big game. As others have said, will be a good gauge of where we are at. IF we can win it, it gives us a free hit at Wigan at the weekend.
    I must have been watching a different game - I thought he we were a lot more lively when Aneke went off . 

Did Burstow touch the ball ?
    He worked hard and ran around but when you don't have Chuks or Stockley as a central striker we lose a presences. If our final ball can be similar to DJ then Burstow and Conor can be your central strikers. But then you miss Jayden or Chuks defending and attacking set pieces. As well as being the battling Centre forwards/ Number 9's.

Did no one notice it was Aneke that won the header for DJ to make that Sublime pass ?

Chuks appeared to be blowing out of his arse on Saturday 2nd half but as he proved last season, a goal every 101 minutes is a good return ever if he hasn't emulated that on his return yet.
    Imagine you are a League One defender. Now try to imagine whether you would enjoy playing against Aneke. Even when he is having a so so game, he is a threat with his physicality and that in itself opens up opportunities for others. I would say the same applies to Stockley. We need one of them in the side and we have seen how easy it is for teams to suffocate us without them.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I think the Aneke was substitution on Saturday was with Tuesday solely in mind. Given that, and how toothless we were after he went off, I think Aneke will start.

Fraser is the other one, but maybe again Jacko will bide his time with that and wait for the obvious moment.

Big game. As others have said, will be a good gauge of where we are at. IF we can win it, it gives us a free hit at Wigan at the weekend.
    I must have been watching a different game - I thought he we were a lot more lively when Aneke went off . 

He worked hard and ran around but when you don't have Chuks or Stockley as a central striker we lose a presences. If our final ball can be similar to DJ then Burstow and Conor can be your central strikers. But then you miss Jayden or Chuks defending and attacking set pieces. As well as being the battling Centre forwards/ Number 9's.

Did no one notice it was Aneke that won the header for DJ to make that Sublime pass ?

Chuks appeared to be blowing out of his arse on Saturday 2nd half but as he proved last season, a goal every 101 minutes is a good return ever if he hasn't emulated that on his return yet.
    Imagine you are a League One defender. Now try to imagine whether you would enjoy playing against Aneke. Even when he is having a so so game, he is a threat with his physicality and that in itself opens up opportunities for others. I would say the same applies to Stockley. We need one of them in the side and we have seen how easy it is for teams to suffocate us without them.
    I have just said on another thread, I think we have won one game all season without Aneke or Stockley and that was arguably our best performance of the season. 
  • Options
    Reward for those going 0-1, Clare. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Hats off to those going to this one - great treatment of away fans travelling from the South East to have kick off at 8pm……not !!

EFL really don’t give a shit about fans do they

The result at The Valley flattered them in my opinion, due to some dreadful Charlton back end of match defending, and was during the dismal run of form under Adkins, who was sacked just under a month later

Their demolition of Sunderland I take with a pinch of salt, as Sunderland currently imploding, noting they lost to Doncaster at home at the w/e

So, I’m sticking my neck out and going for a 2-1 away win, with the usual clench your arse cheeks last 10 minutes for Addicks fans that seems to be par the course at the moment
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Well John and Castillo won't be involved.  It does look like we are playing the long game with these 2.  Which isn't a bad thing. 
    Playing for U23 today
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Nice preview thank you.

I'm glad they know, because despite watching every week I NEVER know which Charlton will turn up. 
  • Options
    I didn't see enough in Fraser on Saturday to make him a starter for this match, so would leave the midfield the same, especially as Albie is just about the fittest member of the squad now, and seems to be in a good place with his set piece delivery at the moment.
  • Options
    Wasn't it Mourinho in his (1st) time at Chelsea that said you play your formation, you don't change for your opponent? 

(Could be wrong, but I remember it was quite a successful manager at the time)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:

I have just said on another thread, I think we have won one game all season without Aneke or Stockley and that was arguably our best performance of the season. 
    Plymouth was it?
  • Options
    I think with Plymouth, they came out to beat us, whereas after our good run, even the better teams prioritised stopping us. It was evident how difficult it is to break down teams that have numbers in their box yesterday at Bournemouth. What you can't do is play too slowly and pass your way in. You need attributes like players who drive in past defenders and physicality to win 50/50s or 40/60s.
  • Options
    Hats off to those going to this one - great treatment of away fans travelling from the South East to have kick off at 8pm……not !!

I don't think 8pm vs 7:45 makes much difference  to the away fans, you can't get back by train that night anyway, and an extra 15 minutes is barely noticeable on a 4 hour drive...
    Happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure years ago evening games for northern clubs usually kicked off at 7.30, whereas London clubs was 7.45 but maybe I am imagining it

In any event, I take your point
  • Options

I don't think 8pm vs 7:45 makes much difference  to the away fans, you can't get back by train that night anyway, and an extra 15 minutes is barely noticeable on a 4 hour drive...
    Happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure years ago evening games for northern clubs usually kicked off at 7.30, whereas London clubs was 7.45 but maybe I am imagining it

I think it's a Bolton thing rather than an EFL thing. Every midweek home game of theirs (Pizza Trophy aside) has been an 8pm kick off this season.
  • Options

I think it's a Bolton thing rather than an EFL thing. Every midweek home game of theirs (Pizza Trophy aside) has been an 8pm kick off this season.
    Perhaps the locals eat their "tea" later!
  • Options
    I just tried to buy tickets on the website but they are not for sale anymore. Anybody know if they can be bought on the door ?
  • Options

I think it's because it's an out of town stadium and the car park takes ages to get in and out of. 
  • Options
    I was watching quest earlier in the season and I noticed how attacking Bolton were, they get so many players in or around the box. I went to the 4-1 game at the valley and for 65 minutes it was even or Charlton were on top. The last 35 minutes was a capitulation and they went for the jugular.
    We fell away and Adkins had no answers.

So hard to call this match but as they thrashed Sunderland 6-0 and are on a longer winning run than ourselves, a draw would be a good result for Cafc.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    rananegra said:

I think it's because it's an out of town stadium and the car park takes ages to get in and out of. 
    Think it’s dependent on traffic on the motorways. For example, West Brom kick off at 8PM because of the M6 heavily affecting stadium traffic.Reading have a similar issue and they kick off at 8PM. Didn’t we use to play at 8PM because of traffic reasons in the early 2000s 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Purrington and Matthews as wing backs. DJ had a good game on Saturday but as we are away, we might try to gain a bit more defensively. We shall see.