Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022

Join @iamscottminto, Curbs and @GeorgeElek for all the build-up to tonight's game LIVE from the CharltonTV studio, sponsored by  @dneventsltd

@iamscottminto and Alan Curbishley will be joined by @NTT20Pod co-host @GeorgeElek to run his expert eye over this evening's match LIVE on CharltonTV...
  • Options
    MacG 
    Clare, Pearce, Famewo 
    Dobson
    Jaiyesimi, Gilbey, Morgan, Purrington 
    Fraser
    Washington 

I think Innis is the obvious one to rest, but I reckon maybe Matthews as he had a mare against them last time and Aneke because he’s Aneke.

Wonder if JJ will consider making a small change from 352 to 3511 to incorporate Fraser in his proper position?  Looks defensive on paper but we’d enjoy a lot of possession, let’s see.  He hasn’t got to nurture Burstow anymore so why not?

Tough one to call, fair play to the lads they’ve dug in and found a way to get points even when it’s not pretty, can they keep us interested for a further fixture, because we know anything less than 4 points from the next two will hinder play off hopes.

Im fairly optimistic despite their good form, 0-1 Washington.
  • Options
    I thought Fraser’s best position was as a CM rather than behind the striker?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    ross1 said:

Safe journey to the 250+ hardy Addicks making the journey north today
    Tickets will be available on the evening for those who are keen to make a late dash! 

There's a lot of muggy comments from Bolton fans in response to that tweet.

Having seen extended highlights of their game at Morecambe Saturday, i'd say they were lucky to get a point. Here's hoping we smash 'em.
  • Options
    Middle of the night kick-off here in Sri Lanka so it’s another match thread catch-up. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Look at you all, trying to get Fraser into the team without dropping Gilbey. It's cute
    More likely to replace Morgan in the playmaking role than Gilbey as the more attacking CM.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Look at you all, trying to get Fraser into the team without dropping Gilbey. It's cute
    More likely to replace Morgan in the playmaking role than Gilbey as the more attacking CM.
    Fraser is a 10 isn't he? He plays the Lee role

ed - According to transfermarkt he's played most of his career in that attacking midfield role
  • Options
    MacG 
    Clare, Pearce, Famewo 
    Dobson
    Fraser
    Washington 

I think Innis is the obvious one to rest, but I reckon maybe Matthews as he had a mare against them last time and Aneke because he’s Aneke.

Wonder if JJ will consider making a small change from 352 to 3511 to incorporate Fraser in his proper position?  Looks defensive on paper but we’d enjoy a lot of possession, let’s see.  He hasn’t got to nurture Burstow anymore so why not?

Tough one to call, fair play to the lads they’ve dug in and found a way to get points even when it’s not pretty, can they keep us interested for a further fixture, because we know anything less than 4 points from the next two will hinder play off hopes.

I don’t see JJ changing the shape. I’d rather Innis and Aneke were on the pitch as they give us a lot more grit.
  • Options
    MacG 
    Clare, Pearce, Famewo 
    Dobson
    Fraser
    Washington 

I don’t see JJ changing the shape. I’d rather Innis and Aneke were on the pitch as they give us a lot more grit.
    Not to be confusing grit with height though, cos Pearce doesn’t lack grit at all, but I see what you mean.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Gilbey more an 8 than a 10 no?  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Gilbey more an 8 than a 10 no?  
    If Fraser gets a start tonight it wont be in place of Gilby I dont think. I would imagine he is one of the 1st players on JJ's starting list
  • Options
    Is this the world beating Bolton who have 39 points from 29 games and are plus 4 goal difference - exactly the same as us? Surely this game is winnable.
    You say that but every team we lose to are on a great run of form /world beaters/ won one game against a team in the top 6  last month / are a better team than their league position etc etc 

I don't like to disturb your Jack Dee comedy act routine that gets you so many Lol's but Bolton beat Sunderland 6-0 and are the form team in the table.

Agree we can make excuses but under JJ, I'm not convinced you have noticed but being 11 places higher up the League is impressive.

Carry on slagging off. 
    Was Sid James in that one ?
  • Options
    Chuks goals to games need to improve so fancy him for a goal tonight, I'm with the draw brigade 
  • Options
    Not confident about this one at all (but then again when am I 😅). Bolton look stronger all over the pitch especially up top. Can see the winning streak coming to an abrupt end.

3-1 and the Trottrers have their snouts aiming for the play off trough.
  • Options
    Three wins on the spin and no real reason to fear anybody. If we can go to Sunderland and Portsmouth and bag three points, we can do it at Bolton and I predict we will 2-1 Chuks and Gilbey
  • Options
    Will be a tough game for sure. 

I’d like to see us get back to being sturdier at the back, our next 6 games are going to be a real test for us and we won’t be able to afford as many concentration lapses. 

Fancy us to nick it and make up for the reverse fixture. 

2-1 Charlton, Washington and Innis
  • Options
    There are a few players like Lee and Leko who haven’t played for a bit, and we might see them on the pitch, if only as subs. I’m much more relaxed with Inniss in the side, especially with no Lavelle to replace him, but he’ll almost certainly be rested. 
    Would love to see Fraser making a mark tonight.
    It’s another of those must wins, which will make it worth watching. I think a draw is the best we can hope for. 
  • Options
    I don't actually see how Lavelle gets back ahead of Clare...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

ed - According to transfermarkt he's played most of his career in that attacking midfield role
    Morgan is LCM and Gilbey is RCM. Both are about as attacking as each other. Only one of them is playing particularly well right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Morgan is LCM and Gilbey is RCM. Both are about as attacking as each other. Only one of them is playing particularly well right now.
    Balance of partnerships is important, I can imagine Fraser and Morgan together being too similar.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Somewhat disagree, seems to me that in our system, one of the midfielders plays nearer the strikers, sometimes pushing beyond, in the box, etc. more often, and the other sits a little deeper, though they do rotate at times. Lee played that role and was much more advanced than the other. Gilbey is playing it now, and I agree he is not playing well, but he works so hard that he will always have fans. 
  • Options
    2-0 Bolton
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Somewhat disagree, seems to me that in our system, one of the midfielders plays nearer the strikers, sometimes pushing beyond, in the box, etc. more often, and the other sits a little deeper, though they do rotate at times. Lee played that role and was much more advanced than the other. Gilbey is playing it now, and I agree he is not playing well, but he works so hard that he will always have fans. 
    Yeah, but most people seem to be arguing that Morgan is the one who's furthest forward, and as Fraser is a 10, he'd come in for him! It's all very confusing
  • Options
    I'll stick the Match Thread up dreckly.

Don't forget 8pm kick off tonight.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Yeah, but most people seem to be arguing that Morgan is the one who's furthest forward, and as Fraser is a 10, he'd come in for him! It's all very confusing
    I see Morgan or Fraser as the 8, staying deeper where they can use their range of passing. That gives Gilbey or Lee freedom to push forward, offer the movement Morgan or Fraser need around them, get in and around the box to get goals and assists, and support the strikers if we're using a high press.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

I see Morgan or Fraser as the 8, staying deeper where they can use their range of passing. That gives Gilbey or Lee freedom to push forward, offer the movement Morgan or Fraser need around them, get in and around the box to get goals and assists, and support the strikers if we're using a high press.
    Yup Ipswich played Fraser as a 10, MK Dons didn't. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Yup Ipswich played Fraser as a 10, MK Dons didn't. 
    Or even worse Ipswich played him on the left wing at times.