Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    CBT is out. 

Looks like Castillo had a good game for the U23. Nile John got outshone by both team's midfielders.
    I agree. Nile John looks nowhere close to our first team
    So we are writing him off after one under 23 game … this kid was voted one of the top 5 prospects in the prem not that long ago .. but hey what do the experts know 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Shows my apathy towards this season, that I didn’t even realise Dempsey had left Gillingham and for just £180k until I read the match preview. Maybe Scully didn’t want to sell to us but I think he will be a bargain at that price.

Winnable game, but also losable too so will settle for a 1-1 draw.

There's life after Dempsey. 
    Unfortunately, we never experienced life with Dempsey. Instead we have Watson in the squad, probably on a lot more than we would have had to pay Dempsey.

I know who I would prefer to be in the squad. 

Bolton, will be one of the many teams challenging for promotion next season. This will be the toughest league game since Wycombe.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/it-didnt-sit-right-charlton-boss-on-valley-loss-to-tomorrows-opponents-bolton-being-cause-for-concern/

Look at the team from that game, horrible. Watson in a two man central midfield with Lee and Davison up front. Dobson left out completely, Washington, Stockley and Gilbey all on the bench.

But that's not how we actually lined up though.  It was a clear 4231.  Gilbey had only just come back from Covid, that's why he was only on the bench.

I have my suspensions why Stockley was left out, that will come out one way or another, one day. 

Dobson hadn't been good and, because of our slow recruitment, he was left out too late and then brought back too late. 

Clare, Matthews and Purrington were awful IIRC. Jackson said, the today's SLP article, that we were timid.  This is the game that Matthews looked like he had never playered right back in his life. 

Even Curbs was dishing it out to Clare at half time for the first goal.  JFC, in the studio, was saying that Adkins and Jackson tell the full backs to show them outside.  I think 3 of their goals came from the wingers cutting in?

It was 3 and 4 because we tried to make it Desmond, Washington nearly did.

A confident/motivated/passionate team wouldn't have lost that they way we did, we might have still lost it but not like that. 

Dozens of things caused the result, Adkins was one, but not the only one.  We won our next game after all. 

Dropping Lee back and pushing the wingers up doesn’t make it any better.

There were some reasons for that team
    being picked but it’s still not a good selection or a formation that worked for us this season (despite working well for other clubs at this level).

Dobson hadn’t shown the form he has under JJ but he was dropped too quickly and it was far too long before he got another chance.

I’d be surprised if the players didn’t want Adkins gone by that game. They clearly didn’t believe in him and his formations and tactics.
    Agreed, although it was a two way street.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    CBT is out. 

Looks like Castillo had a good game for the U23. Nile John got outshone by both team's midfielders.
    So we are writing him off after one under 23 game … this kid was voted one of the top 5 prospects in the prem not that long ago .. but hey what do the experts know 

Some validity in your first point, but folk watched the match and gave their opinion on that performance.

I assume you mean Nile John was one of top 5 Youth prospects in the Prem ?

Why wouldn't he have gone to a Championship Side similar to Conor Gallagher who was a highly rated U18 player when he came to Cafc in the Champ.

Players should always get in the team on merit.  That applies to Nile John, Leko, Famewo, Juan Castillo, Lee and the raw talented Chelsea player (who will probably never play a League match for the Russian sponsored team) Mason Burstow.

No old pals act to keep a relationship going.
  • Options
    Funnily enough, it was the home game vs Bolton where I gave up hope of getting into the top 6. I’ll never understand how Adkins survived after that game.

Here we are months later and people still believe we might pull off a miracle. I like Bolton’s side and they’re probably better than us, so I’ll go for a narrow defeat. 

2-1 - Gilbey
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Charlton often surprise against teams who appear to be odds on favourites to win.

Bolton`s good run of form, another tiring trip up North and our poor away record made me believe we would get nothing from this game.

However, the sun is out and I feel really positive today so I am going to change my earlier (optimistic) prediction of a 2-2 draw and go for a 0-2 away win.

A Sunderland away performance would do nicely thank you.  COYRs!
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    CBT is out. 

Where was it claimed he was one of the top 5 prospects?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    Charlton often surprise against teams who appear to be odds on favourites to win.

Bolton`s good run of form, another tiring trip up North and our poor away record made me believe we would get nothing from this game.

However, the sun is out and I feel really positive today so I am going to change my earlier (optimistic) prediction of a 2-2 draw and go for a 0-2 away win.

A Sunderland away performance would do nicely thank you.  COYRs!
    I think the best way to beat us is to actually play as if we are better than you. If teams go toe to toe it seems to suit us. An example was Wycombe recently. A team fighting for an automatic place, getting bodies behind the ball at every opportunity. 
  • Options
    Will no doubt be eating my words later, but I'll always back Charlton to get something out of this sort of game compared to more 'winnable' fixtures that we tend to bottle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Me and a pal booked late yesterday for this one. Nothing to lose now, hope we go for it. 
  • Options
    I've done Bolton away 5 or 6 times but I'm not going tonight. 
    A cold February evening in Bolton with nothing to play for so top respect for those who are making the trip.
    Fear for the worst but hope for the best.
    Going for a Desmond 2 2.
  • Options
    A lot of respect to anyone doing the journey up to Bolton tonight. This has got to be one of the grimmest fixtures in the league for us, a Tuesday evening KO in Feb at an in-form northern club. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is this the world beating Bolton who have 39 points from 29 games and are plus 4 goal difference - exactly the same as us? Surely this game is winnable.
    Every game is winnable at this level. 
    Sheer profundity  ;)
  • Options
    Is this the world beating Bolton who have 39 points from 29 games and are plus 4 goal difference - exactly the same as us? Surely this game is winnable.
    You say that but every team we lose to are on a great run of form /world beaters/ won one game against a team in the top 6  last month / are a better team than their league position etc etc 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    mendonca said:
    CBT is out. 

Can you point us in the direction of this please?
  • Options
    Big test

that is all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hats off to those going to this one - great treatment of away fans travelling from the South East to have kick off at 8pm……not !!

EFL really don’t give a shit about fans do they

I don't think 8pm vs 7:45 makes much difference  to the away fans, you can't get back by train that night anyway, and an extra 15 minutes is barely noticeable on a 4 hour drive...
    Happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure years ago evening games for northern clubs usually kicked off at 7.30, whereas London clubs was 7.45 but maybe I am imagining it

In any event, I take your point
    I think it's a Bolton thing rather than an EFL thing. Every midweek home game of theirs (Pizza Trophy aside) has been an 8pm kick off this season.
    It's a police thing. 
    I know but what’s the actual reasoning?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    mendonca said:
    If we don't utilise John and/or Castillo, the PL clubs won't be in a rush to loan us players in the future I feel.

They will play when they are ready and there is an opening for them.
    Remember, they are there to reinforce and add depth and quality to the squad. 

Just because they are new signings, doesn't mean they are better than everybody else or must play at the first/every opportunity.
    Their time will come.

Incidentally both played for the U23s v Swansea today.
    John struggled a bit (fitness?) and Castillo played very well at times - showed good pace and athleticsm; the run and pass to feed Ghandour to strike the bar; plus a cross and assist for our 90th min equaliser.

But if Castllo played today, he's not travelled with the squad and won't be included tomorrow night.

This. I never understand why some people talk about loans as if they have a god-given right to start. They have to earn their place like every other player.
  • Options
    How many sold tonight?
  • Options
    Bit disappointed there are no videos being posted of our mob tearing up Euston station, must be on their way by now.

• Options
    Tough couple of games coming up in the NW. Really will test the side and see our progress. Think we might nick a point as they are due to drop points at home, 1-1.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Jheeze, that's low. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hats off to those going to this one - great treatment of away fans travelling from the South East to have kick off at 8pm……not !!

EFL really don’t give a shit about fans do they

I don't think 8pm vs 7:45 makes much difference  to the away fans, you can't get back by train that night anyway, and an extra 15 minutes is barely noticeable on a 4 hour drive...
    Happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure years ago evening games for northern clubs usually kicked off at 7.30, whereas London clubs was 7.45 but maybe I am imagining it

In any event, I take your point
    I think it's a Bolton thing rather than an EFL thing. Every midweek home game of theirs (Pizza Trophy aside) has been an 8pm kick off this season.
    It's a police thing. 
    I know but what’s the actual reasoning?
    I don't know whether it's something to do with local train times, the retail park hours, avoiding congestion in Central Manchester, could be dozens of things. 
  • Options

Safe journey to the 250+ hardy Addicks making the journey north today
    Tickets will be available on the evening for those who are keen to make a late dash!