Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Surprised AA is quiet today following Malan's knock earlier... 
    I think you will find that the problem that people like AA and myself have with Malan is in the 20 20 competition. 
    He takes too long to get going.
    In the 50 overs competition he has the time to get into his stride and build an innings as he showed today. 
    In the 20 overs competition he simply doesn't have that time.
    That's why he gets the criticism he gets. 

I know this, i just thought it was strange as he is a keen cricket lover so thought he would be the first to comment :) also how much a fan of Malan he is
    I think you will find that the problem that people like AA and myself have with Malan is in the 20 20 competition. 
    In the 50 overs competition he has the time to get into his stride and build an innings as he showed today. 

I know this, i just thought it was strange as he is a keen cricket lover so thought he would be the first to comment :) also how much a fan of Malan he is
    He's been online, he's just staying shtum! In fairness, ODI is very different to T20 and it's more acceptable to take a bit of time in the one dayers. 

He's been online, he's just staying shtum! In fairness, ODI is very different to T20 and it's more acceptable to take a bit of time in the one dayers. 
    The likes of Blackpool and Canters have put forward the same argument I would have offered so far as the difference between T20 and 50 overs are concerned. Harmison/Prior summed it up perfectly in that losing those wickets so early allowed Malan to play the way he likes to and he did it very well. I'm not sure that both Malan and Root will both get in the WC side but Malan did himself no harm whatsoever today. 

Of more concern is that this was an opportunity for the likes of Roy, Vince, Salt and Billings to stake a claim (bearing in mind that there is no Bairstow, Root, Hales, Brook, Livingstone, Pope and even Stokes who might make himself available for the WC) and they didn't do so. Roy, especially, seems to have been all at sea for a while. This was a good batting track and a minimum total of 320 plus should have been the order of the day.

We only have a dozen or so ODIs before the WC and with The Hundred clashing with the Royal London chances will be limited for players to prove themselves.   
  • Roy - 4 runs less than i thought he would get ...
  • Roy has been in poor form all summer. 
    He has done absolutely nothing to justify his inclusion in this squad and I say that as one of his biggest fans.
    Unfortunately he's a walking wicket at the moment. 
  • Got up at 3 for this.  Will prob sleep thru the PV match.
  • Got up at 3 for this.  Will prob sleep thru the PV match.
    Poor decision 
    You will miss Lavelle getting a hattrick.
  • Salt as well not done himself any favours and does not look the part at all .. Roy is frustrating case because we all know he can be a match winner on his own .. do you stick with him and hope he plays through it ?? 
    With Roy Hales Bairstow Root Buttler in the batting line up there not much better 
  • Get out of bed in time to see England capitulate!
  • why was Roy selected for this tour when his form in no way justified it ? ...AND another whinge Moeen Ali should be ashamed of himself, captaining a team which got off to almost the worst possible start, the Billings and Vince stand led to a gutsy and skilful recovery, then in comes Ali and rather than take it steady and try to consolidate the recovery, he literally throws his wicket away .. totally wrong, he might have been part of a 20/20 winning side but this was an unprofessional and arrogant approach which went a long way to handing the match and the series to Australia
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like Ali got out playing a fairly normal shot, just got done by a combination of a good bit of bowling and the pitch. Whereas Vince and Curran got out slogging. Dunno why Ali deserves special censure 
  • Leuth said:
    Sounds like Ali got out playing a fairly normal shot, just got done by a combination of a good bit of bowling and the pitch. Whereas Vince and Curran got out slogging. Dunno why Ali deserves special censure 
    you dunno ? .. you usually have a very strong opinion on everything .. you dunno, well I do .. censure? .. it's an opinion that I will reiterate, he was totally out of order playing so aggressively so early, it was unnecessary, arrogant and wrong
  • Leuth said:
    Sounds like Ali got out playing a fairly normal shot, just got done by a combination of a good bit of bowling and the pitch. Whereas Vince and Curran got out slogging. Dunno why Ali deserves special censure 
    you dunno ? .. you usually have a very strong opinion on everything .. you dunno, well I do .. censure? .. it's an opinion that I will reiterate, he was totally out of order playing so aggressively so early, it was unnecessary, arrogant and wrong
    The shot that he got out to wasn't an aggressive one though. A poor shot yes, but not a reckless one
  • Not England, but some of the most astonishing strokeplay this side of ABdV you'd hope to witness. What a bullet England dodged in the WC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxxpJP8r0N0
  • And while England have been way off it in this series, Australia are far better than they showed in the World Cup.
  • The scheduling of these games was ridiculous. 
    England have just performed brilliantly in winning the 20/20 world cup and should have been given time off to celebrate this before regrouping for a series of 50 over matches. 
    For me most of the players were not in the right shape mentally for these games and it showed in their performances. 
    I suppose the logic was that flying the entire white ball squad over to Australia, just to play 3 ODIs wouldn't be sensible either.

It was a lot easier in the old days when the same players played Tests and ODIs, and they could be combined in one tour!
    England have just performed brilliantly in winning the 20/20 world cup and should have been given time off to celebrate this before regrouping for a series of 50 over matches. 
    For me most of the players were not in the right shape mentally for these games and it showed in their performances. 
    Came on here to say exactly the same.

Stupid "series". Less than a week after the 20/20 WC finished so no rest period for the players. I doubt none wanted to stay on Oz & all wanted to get back home. 

I suppose the logic was that flying the entire white ball squad over to Australia, just to play 3 ODIs wouldn't be sensible either.

It was a lot easier in the old days when the same players played Tests and ODIs, and they could be combined in one tour!
    They still had to fly half of them out anyway to replace the t20 only players and the test ones that have gone where ever they have gone.

Pointless series that no one wanted to, nor needed to, play.
  • And while England have been way off it in this series, Australia are far better than they showed in the World Cup.
    And while England have been way off it in this series, Australia are far better than they showed in the World Cup.
    the world cup was years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Luke Wright has retired from professional cricket and become England's Mens selector. Ed Smith used to have that role before it was binned by Ashley Giles

A player with a less than certain future is Laurie Evans. The Perth Scorchers announced today that they have cancelled his contract after it emerged that he failed a drugs test playing for the Manchester Originals. Evans has denied knowingly taking a banned substance but can't say any more than that as the enquiry is still ongoing.    
  • Luke Wright has retired from professional cricket and become England's Mens selector. Ed Smith used to have that role before it was binned by Ashley Giles

A player with a less than certain future is Laurie Evans. The Perth Scorchers announced today that they have cancelled his contract after it emerged that he failed a drugs test playing for the Manchester Originals. Evans has denied knowingly taking a banned substance but can't say any more than that as the enquiry is still ongoing.    
    Bet he turns up at Minster 
  • Joe Root has put his name forward for the 2023 IPL. Hope with the CC, Test, Hundred, Blast, ODIs and World Cup too he won't be complaining about playing too much cricket in the next year! My money is on him not playing a single game for Yorkshire in any format next season. 
    Into the bargain the crowd attendances have been appalling for an Oz V Pomies series, embarrassingly it has completely failed to grasp the interest of the paying public.
  • Joe Root has put his name forward for the 2023 IPL. Hope with the CC, Test, Hundred, Blast, ODIs and World Cup too he won't be complaining about playing too much cricket in the next year! My money is on him not playing a single game for Yorkshire in any format next season. 
    Doesn't he want to play in the IPL because it's a world cup year?  I know it's a different format but he obviously won't play in the blast (he couldnt if he wanted to) anyway so a bit more white ball cricket?

With the Hundred as his only source of white ball cricket it's not surprising really is it? 

Bet he turns up at Minster 
    Think Evans played a few times in the Sussex league last year ( not checked, may have been year before) 
    Playing golf with Piers Morgan on the day when Yorkshire got relegated from the CC must have burnt a few bridges there...

Interesting on Evans. Had an underwhelming uear for Surrey (Blast only) but had been excellent in the BB and Manchester originals even made him captain for their last couple matches after Buttler got injured - as this was at the end of the tournament you'd assume this was after they were aware of the test?

With this and the Jason Roy ban for unknown disciplinary reasons a while back you do wonder of there is something simmering under the surface culture wise at Surrey again.... I hope it doesn't end up like it did in 2012
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Joe Root has put his name forward for the 2023 IPL. Hope with the CC, Test, Hundred, Blast, ODIs and World Cup too he won't be complaining about playing too much cricket in the next year! My money is on him not playing a single game for Yorkshire in any format next season. 
    Doesn't he want to play in the IPL because it's a world cup year?  I know it's a different format but he obviously won't play in the blast (he couldnt if he wanted to) anyway so a bit more white ball cricket?

With the Hundred as his only source of white ball cricket it's not surprising really is it? 
    Root wants an IPL deal because it'll be worth a LOT of money
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Joe Root has put his name forward for the 2023 IPL. Hope with the CC, Test, Hundred, Blast, ODIs and World Cup too he won't be complaining about playing too much cricket in the next year! My money is on him not playing a single game for Yorkshire in any format next season. 

Root wants an IPL deal because it'll be worth a LOT of money
    Yes but it's not a coincidence that he wants one THIS year.