Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 12th February - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Wigan Athletic vs Charlton Athletic
12th February 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Tom Nield

Introduction
This truly is a season that could be compared with the film; Groundhog Day, the moment this Charlton team look to be taking a step forward, they wilt under pressure and take two steps back. Defeat at Bolton on Tuesday night maybe our first loss in five games, yet our last two performances rekindled late hope for some. Instead it looks as though our away form will be another of our downfalls this season - Not good when we now travel back to the Greater Manchester area, to face a Wigan Athletic side who look destined to return to the Championship.

The Opposition
Name: Wigan Athletic (2nd) | Manager: Leam Richardson
Ground: DW Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 0-2 Wigan Athletic

Our opponents this weekend, like Ipswich Town, were always going to be one of the teams to watch this season - After a horrendous couple of seasons, Wigan went into 2021/22 with fresh new owners, and after a few false dawns elsewhere, appear to have genuine Middle East support.

After having their squad decimated due to Administration, it was always going to require a proper squad rebuild from the Latics, and unlike Ipswich and Charlton is a job they appear to have achieved with what looks to be huge success... Ben Amos was brought in from Charlton, and whilst he has the same amount of clean sheets as our own Craig MacGillivray, is able to rely on the second best defence in the League - Further forwards and Will Keane, will be the player to stop in front of goal. Plagued by injures, the Striker has seven league goals to his name this term, and as a team have scored just eight more than ourselves, despite having three games in hand.

As shown at the Valley last September; Wigan are a team similar to ourselves under Chris Powell... We'll look like we've got chances to win the game, but Wigan know how to soak up pressure and hurt you at the right time - That saying, the Latics have just two points from their last two games, although haven't lost at the DW since the end of October.

Charlton Team News
The biggest surprise on Tuesday night was midway through the second half we saw an alteration from the 3-5-2 formation, with Johnnie Jackson opting for more of a diamond approach with his midfield - Of course the question now is, does he stick or does he twist with that change. Should he opt for the latter then you'd expect to see Sean Clare at Right Back, yet with Ben Purrington once again out of favour (and Juan Castillo seemingly not ready), who plays on the left?

The biggest elephant in the room now though is Scott Fraser... It hasn't taken long for the exciting midfielder to earn his first assist, and could now come into the team regardless of the formation - Should Jackson stick, then he'll either replace Albie Morgan or Alex Gilbey - Should we see the diamond though, there is nothing to suggest that we wont see all three out there together.

MacGillivray
Clare - Inniss - Famewo
Dobson
Matthews - Morgan - Fraser - Jaiyesimi
Washington - Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Lavelle - Purrington - Lee - Gilbey - Burstow - Leko

Prediction
Combined with our trip to Rotherham in April, this is probably our hardest game between now and the end of the season - Form and expectation would point towards a home win, yet this is Charlton and we've always been taught to expect the unexpected - Unfortunately even I'd be surprised if we returned to SE7 with all three points, but would certainly give us something to build upon, going into the summer.

Comments

• Options
    3-1 Wigan. Even the most optimistic Charlton fans will then concede the playoff dream is over.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Why aren't the 2 new loanees making an appearance
  • Options
    We are performing pony , even when we win my xG (whatever that is )  tells me that 
    3-1 Wigan as we stay in the bottom half of complete wankness
  • Options
    Have you noticed that since performances have dropped (or when CBT isn't playing), our formation has effectively turned to 5-3-2? DJ rarely hits the byeline/penalty area due to new defensive duties, and we know what we get from Matthews. 
  • Options
    I think Wigan are running out of steam.  Plenty of games in hand but suddenly only 3 points above 6th and a gruelling schedule of two games a week to seasons end.  I think Ipswich will end up finishing above them as they seem to be hitting form at the right time.

Anyway, to this game.  We always do well when not expected to (and vice versa), Wigan are knackered. Innis and Aneke back.  I would go 3-2 Charlton. We race into a 3 goal headstart, sit back, panic and end up hanging on for dear life for the final 10.  

Seasons over but the "will we make the playoffs thread" comes back with a vengeance anyway.
  • Options
    I think Wigan are running out of steam.  Plenty of games in hand but suddenly only 3 points above 6th and a gruelling schedule of two games a week to seasons end.  I think Ipswich will end up finishing above them as they seem to be hitting form at the right time.

Anyway, to this game.  We always do well when not expected to (and vice versa), Wigan are knackered. Innis and Aneke back.  I would go 3-2 Charlton. We race into a 3 goal headstart, sit back, panic and end up hanging on for dear life for the final 10.  

Seasons over but the "will we make the playoffs thread" comes back with a vengeance anyway.
    agree with a lot of this, only 2 points from the last three games for Wigan and we are showing signs of getting back to form .. this will be a good test for both teams and a draw wouldn't surprise me at all, and that is what I hope for, other than a win of course in the battle of the Athletics

Wigan Athletic 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options

Time to change things for difficult away fixtures up north and try to tough out a draw or maybe a lucky win.

If we keeping doing the same old same old,  we get the same old result.

Eight at the back plus Fraser and Chucks would be my choice. Surprise them. Disrupt their game plan. Do something bloody different please. 

Beginning to worry that Jacko is too much Captain Popular not a Professor Strategy or a Sergeant-Major Discipline. 

3-0 

• Options

• Options
    Not match fit and not better than what we already have
  • Options
    So hard to predict- sometimes we play well against more attacking sides. How many enjoyable away games since the start of the Championship season? I can't remember many ...Sunderland etc. No fingernails left since before Xmas.Lets put our best foot forwards and hope this is a turning point for us and not for Wigan.COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:

"We'll go there, prepare right, make ourselves difficult to beat, and then do the job for the oppo with a defensive or goalkeeping howler that would make the Under 9s blush with embarrassment."

Jacko's full quote.

Wigan 1 Charlton 0
  • Options
    They were loaned to make our January window look a bit more tasty than it actually was. In reality we have re-signed Chucks and brought in Fraser. 
  • Options
    I can understand why people want to see the two loanees in action but if they are not yet ready what's the point. 
    Personally I think we have bought them in to have a proper look at them with a view to signing them for next season.
    As for the match itself I can't see beyond 3 1 to Wigan. 
    It's all about next season now. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure Castillo's going to get a game 
  • Options
    As Tuesday completely finished any interest for me all I have to add is that Skybet and William hill are offering 80/1 for innis first goal, he’s also 28/1 and 33/1 to score anytime on the same respective book makers.  We aim for him and him only and have better corner takers in the team now.  

Oh and we’ll draw 1-1.
  • Options
    My interest in this season has now hit rock bottom. 2-0 Wigan.
  • Options
    Neither are anywhere near first team level, especially John. Waste of loans.
  • Options
    Wigan at home was the first game that made me realise we were truly f*****. I don't think tomorrow's game is going to change my mind.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    1-1. A strong performance with Aneke scoring.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0 Wigan because our players are thinking "what's the point?" 
  • Options
    Who ever plays just give it a right good go,,if you don't mind, 1-1 hopefully. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Where has that turn of pace gone ?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    No cos Airman said he wouldn't, remember?
  • Options
    0-3 Dobson hat trick 
  • Options
    1-1. A strong performance with Aneke scoring.
    Apparently Aneke injured  , unfortunately  .
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Pretty sure he wont be here next season 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    ross1 said:
    Where has that turn of pace gone ?
    He left it in Birmingham. 
  • Options
    Odd fixture. We have nothing to play for except the manager's future and a few players’ contracts. Wigan have everything to play for but are having a blip. Wouldn’t surprise me if we copped a pasting. Equally wouldn’t surprise me if we came away with something. 

2-0 Wigan.