Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Q&A with Thomas Sandgaard Thu 3 March - link to meeting notes p9

Comments

• Options
    Thanks @Weegie Addick and the team for your excellent facilitation. It was both respectful and probing. Like the best types of these events it produced some interesting insights.

I realise that I am an amateur when it comes to player spotting and I tend to judge players how they played against us, but both Dobson and Fraser were players that I identified last summer without the 'black box'. I was hoping for a better example of someone I had never heard of where it had worked well. 

I see Category 1 as a major priority. I agree that we should continue with this, but would like us to replicate some of what Brentford do in picking up some Academy rejects from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham when they get released. Maybe Juan Castillo was signed with this in mind and his loan is effectively a trial.

Again thanks CAST for an informative and enjoyable evening. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Thanks @Weegie Addick and the team for your excellent facilitation. It was both respectful and probing. Like the best types of these events it produced some interesting insights.

I realise that I am an amateur when it comes to player spotting and I tend to judge players how they played against us, but both Dobson and Fraser were players that I identified last summer without the 'black box'. I was hoping for a better example of someone I had never heard of where it had worked well. 

I see Category 1 as a major priority. I agree that we should continue with this, but would like us to replicate some of what Brentford do in picking up some Academy rejects from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham when they get released. Maybe Juan Castillo was signed with this in mind and his loan is effectively a trial.

Again thanks CAST for an informative and enjoyable evening. 
    And/or Nile John, though it didn't sound like that when he signed.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    "we need to bring more people into the stadium, which might include people who have never seen a football game before, or never seen a Charlton game before. He mentioned that we have never really extended our reach beyond Greenwich, which we need to do, because there are fans all over London, and all over England"

I admire his optimism but as is fairly obvious, this simply isn't going to happen unless we're promoted.
    I don’t get all this maximizing commercial revenues and marketing initiatives for clubs outside of the Prem (even then some of them aren’t ‘brands’)

We’re a small club that has had some decent times in the top flight of English football, but we don’t have a history of success or a large fan base like Sunderland for example.

in my lifetime, when we experienced Premier League football, we had 27000 in the stadium for the big games, and healthy crowds for the others.  As you say, the only way people are going to come and watch us, outside of our core support is promotion to the Premier League.

People who have never watched football before or who don’t have a team aren’t suddenly going to think about popping along to the Valley.  Not in their hundreds or thousands anyway.  We might pick up new fans in the double digits each season if that 

In the prem days at least half if not more of the 27,000 crowds were prem want to be  followers not there for Charlton.

• Options
    Moving the first team into portacabins will boost morale in our relegation fight. 
  • Options
    “S said that, in parallel with that, we need to bring more people into the stadium, which might include people who have never seen a football game before, or never seen a Charlton game before. He mentioned that we have never really extended our reach beyond Greenwich, which we need to do, because there are fans all over London, and all over England. TS said that South London will get a lot more attention.”

This, as every Charlton fan knows, would be complete tosh, although I think he qualified it with “in recent years”, which is closer to the truth. Greenwich is about 20% of season-ticket holders and a huge amount of work was done outside the borough over two decades by both club and fans. 

The fact “there are fans all over London” is a red herring. There will be relatively few fans in London outside of the SE London boroughs/DA postcodes who don’t have roots in
    the latter area. There is way too much competition and noise to get any traction elsewhere in London and transport links are a significant factor too.

Charlton have badly neglected Kent (and part of East Sussex) in recent years and the sensible thing is to promote support where there is a Valley Express infrastructure to underpin it. This extended to schools and football teams on a large scale in the past but that work, which yielded new people still going today, has been largely abandoned.

it’s not the only thing that works and different strategies are needed locally but you are not going to redraw the map of London by giving free tickets away in areas that do not identify with Charlton at all, as is happening at present. It’s not how London works.
    Pinocchio was a pioneer, not only recruiting Tottenham cab drivers but trying to attract Chelsea, Fulham, QPR & Brentford fans from West London. Poor mare
  • Options
    Moving the first team into portacabins will boost morale in our relegation fight. 
    Sure they'll survive 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    "we need to bring more people into the stadium, which might include people who have never seen a football game before, or never seen a Charlton game before. He mentioned that we have never really extended our reach beyond Greenwich, which we need to do, because there are fans all over London, and all over England"

I admire his optimism but as is fairly obvious, this simply isn't going to happen unless we're promoted.
    I don’t get all this maximizing commercial revenues and marketing initiatives for clubs outside of the Prem (even then some of them aren’t ‘brands’)

We’re a small club that has had some decent times in the top flight of English football, but we don’t have a history of success or a large fan base like Sunderland for example.

in my lifetime, when we experienced Premier League football, we had 27000 in the stadium for the big games, and healthy crowds for the others.  As you say, the only way people are going to come and watch us, outside of our core support is promotion to the Premier League.

People who have never watched football before or who don’t have a team aren’t suddenly going to think about popping along to the Valley.  Not in their hundreds or thousands anyway.  We might pick up new fans in the double digits each season if that 

Maybe with some banging tunes playing in the bar before and after the game we'll get the music crowd in........ then again........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"You're shit, now fucking live like it"
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    summer recruitment - expects 2- 4 players to sign on in summer with some retained - (negotiations going on now), some players  loaned out and maybe some sold... expects 1 experienced player to sign on with the rest of the perms investments, will fill out squad with 5-6 inexpensive (but good!) loans
    He said 2-5 key players supplemented with 5-6 loans.
    Yes... 2-5 players signed, 1 probably a more experienced player the rest investments with potential to push on, the rest of the squad filled out with 5-6 loans... 
    No, 2-5 significant players he said, I read that as first team, not squad players. 
    I read it as 2.5 (two point five) bodies given our penchant for injuries. 😂
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with that, a few years ago portacabins were a step up. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I've got a couple of mates who support Premier league teams who took their young kids during the freebie games and they were interested in going back again and i'm sure there will have been others, but at most this is only going to be a number in the low 3 figures (if that).
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    .charltonbob said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Oh God!

HM asked whether TS had any role model clubs.

TS said that that split into two categories: clubs like Gillingham and Oxford which have low operating costs, but don’t have the ability to make much revenue; and clubs like Brentford which had focused on player development. He said that Charlton are starting to bring in individual coaches to help players break through with their careers. He said that Brentford didn’t really have an academy, and that he is doing the opposite because “we have an amazing foundation with one of the best academies in the country”. TS continued that he was continuing to develop the player side and focus on buying and seller in a better way than we have done in the past. In terms of being financially prudent, we can’t be like Gillingham, because we have a huge fanbase which we can mobilise. “Hopefully long term we’ll make a profit due to smart player trades.” (So we can be like Brentford ... but not like Brentford).

HA asked how he expects it to pan out for next season. TS said that the club is trying to be more consistent in getting good football players rather than just those who are good at getting the long balls (What?). He said that we will continue to build a squad that could do well at Championship level. TS said that we made some improvements in the midfield, but he’s looking to make more. He said that that will always be his key focus. He said that if George Dobson had better players around him, he could play at Premier League level. “I’m going to focus a lot on the attacking midfielder, and also players who can get the ball up (What?).” TS also mentioned Ryan Innis being out with injuries, and that we need to make improvements at the back. He said that there will be a minimum of a couple of players who will give us a significant boost.

TS said it comes back to his strategy for the business side, which is to increase revenues. “I have a strong belief that we can increase sponsorship revenues and ticket sales, get more food and drink sales, and increase hospitality sales.” He said that he is willing to make the investment in not necessarily seeing bigger short-term revenues, but first and foremost getting every seat filled. He said that if a sponsor sees a full stadium, it’s more likely they’ll be willing to get involved. “That’s where it all starts. (Umm ... no, Thomas.  It starts with a decent team)” TS said he has tested a number of things, including things we may not have noticed, and some have worked and others haven’t. He said people have been handing out tickets at events at the O2, but hardly any of those were used. TS said that giving season ticket holders the ability to bring three friends was initially very popular but dropped off. He also mentioned initiatives with grassroots football clubs and schools in the area, which he said has some momentum. TS also mentioned an initiative with the University of Greenwich, but said there seemed to be absolutely no interest there in them coming to football games (So, actually ... none of them have worked, have they, Thomas?). TS said the club is using consultants on this. “I’m not letting up until that stadium is full. Period.” (Then you might want to prioritise on a decent team.  No charge, no consultant's fee ... you can have that one for free, Thomas).

Related to that, HA said that people are questioning the value for money with their season tickets due to the free tickets available. She asked what TS’s strategy for season tickets is for next season. TS said he intends to put a good effort into ensuring the club has as many season ticket holders as possible. We have a little over 10,000 season ticket holders at the moment, and TS wants to continue to build on that figure. “That’s the basis of how we grow our club. We want to make sure that they get as much attention as possible, and we serve them as well as we possibly can.” TS said that, in parallel with that, we need to bring more people into the stadium, which might include people who have never seen a football game before, or never seen a Charlton game before. He mentioned that we have never really extended our reach beyond Greenwich, which we need to do, because there are fans all over London, and all over England. TS said that South London will get a lot more attention.  (Yes, they'll just come flying in from (insert place with no easy access to a professional football team) to see us lose at home to Oxford).

HA picked back up on the player interactions. TS said he’s looking at a structured process for signatures and meeting players, and a system that the players know. He said it’s a big part of the experience. “I want the overall experience, from when someone leaves home to when they get back, to be as great as it can be.” (Start with the result on the pitch, Thomas.  No charge).

Tom and Rosh asked whether TS has considered some friendly investors to share the load. TS said that he had not at this time, and that it’s probably not necessary. One possibility is a potential acquisition of the Valley and the training ground, but it might make more business sense to have some friendly real estate investors. He said that it might also be that we end up in “that weird place in the Championship where it would take a long time and a lot of money to get into the Premier League”. He said that he thinks he can avoid that by “just being smarter about how we run this business.” (That's great news because no investor will be remotely interested, Thomas.  You have nothing but debt and running costs to sell).

Mike asked what went wrong in last summer’s transfer window. TS said that one of two agents “really managed to screw up two main targets for us”. He said that “when you literally have a deal in place and you see them being shopped around other clubs, that’s very frustrating.” TS said that, other than that, he thinks we got a good start on building the club we want for the future. We brought in several young, hungry players who will continue to improve. “I don’t think we got a whole lot wrong. We missed out on a few opportunities. Realistically, you should probably expect that, but I’m very competitive.” (So why are we currently 16th in League 1, Thomas?   Maybe we got a lot wrong ... or does 'very competitive' mean OK with mid-table?).

I could go on, but it hurts me to do so.

The man is a half-wit.
    That makes depressing reading, he really doesn't have a clue does he ?
    I don’t think it is TS that is clueless.
    The difference being I'm not trying to run a football club & if I was, as I have no prior experience I would bring in somebody who knew what they were doing to give guidance if nothing else. I certainly wouldn't bring in my equally inexperienced son who I've known for a few years (is he adopted?) as a director of recruitment analysis. Running a football club is easy? So why are we sitting in an uncomfortable 16th with continuing plunging gates even with giving away thousands of free tickets. Give me a shout this time next year, let's see where we are.

• Options
    shine166 said:
    A few = 30 years ago 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    .charltonbob said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Oh God!

HM asked whether TS had any role model clubs.

TS said that that split into two categories: clubs like Gillingham and Oxford which have low operating costs, but don’t have the ability to make much revenue; and clubs like Brentford which had focused on player development. He said that Charlton are starting to bring in individual coaches to help players break through with their careers. He said that Brentford didn’t really have an academy, and that he is doing the opposite because “we have an amazing foundation with one of the best academies in the country”. TS continued that he was continuing to develop the player side and focus on buying and seller in a better way than we have done in the past. In terms of being financially prudent, we can’t be like Gillingham, because we have a huge fanbase which we can mobilise. “Hopefully long term we’ll make a profit due to smart player trades.” (So we can be like Brentford ... but not like Brentford).

HA asked how he expects it to pan out for next season. TS said that the club is trying to be more consistent in getting good football players rather than just those who are good at getting the long balls (What?). He said that we will continue to build a squad that could do well at Championship level. TS said that we made some improvements in the midfield, but he’s looking to make more. He said that that will always be his key focus. He said that if George Dobson had better players around him, he could play at Premier League level. “I’m going to focus a lot on the attacking midfielder, and also players who can get the ball up (What?).” TS also mentioned Ryan Innis being out with injuries, and that we need to make improvements at the back. He said that there will be a minimum of a couple of players who will give us a significant boost.

TS said it comes back to his strategy for the business side, which is to increase revenues. “I have a strong belief that we can increase sponsorship revenues and ticket sales, get more food and drink sales, and increase hospitality sales.” He said that he is willing to make the investment in not necessarily seeing bigger short-term revenues, but first and foremost getting every seat filled. He said that if a sponsor sees a full stadium, it’s more likely they’ll be willing to get involved. “That’s where it all starts. (Umm ... no, Thomas.  It starts with a decent team)” TS said he has tested a number of things, including things we may not have noticed, and some have worked and others haven’t. He said people have been handing out tickets at events at the O2, but hardly any of those were used. TS said that giving season ticket holders the ability to bring three friends was initially very popular but dropped off. He also mentioned initiatives with grassroots football clubs and schools in the area, which he said has some momentum. TS also mentioned an initiative with the University of Greenwich, but said there seemed to be absolutely no interest there in them coming to football games (So, actually ... none of them have worked, have they, Thomas?). TS said the club is using consultants on this. “I’m not letting up until that stadium is full. Period.” (Then you might want to prioritise on a decent team.  No charge, no consultant's fee ... you can have that one for free, Thomas).

Related to that, HA said that people are questioning the value for money with their season tickets due to the free tickets available. She asked what TS’s strategy for season tickets is for next season. TS said he intends to put a good effort into ensuring the club has as many season ticket holders as possible. We have a little over 10,000 season ticket holders at the moment, and TS wants to continue to build on that figure. “That’s the basis of how we grow our club. We want to make sure that they get as much attention as possible, and we serve them as well as we possibly can.” TS said that, in parallel with that, we need to bring more people into the stadium, which might include people who have never seen a football game before, or never seen a Charlton game before. He mentioned that we have never really extended our reach beyond Greenwich, which we need to do, because there are fans all over London, and all over England. TS said that South London will get a lot more attention.  (Yes, they'll just come flying in from (insert place with no easy access to a professional football team) to see us lose at home to Oxford).

HA picked back up on the player interactions. TS said he’s looking at a structured process for signatures and meeting players, and a system that the players know. He said it’s a big part of the experience. “I want the overall experience, from when someone leaves home to when they get back, to be as great as it can be.” (Start with the result on the pitch, Thomas.  No charge).

Tom and Rosh asked whether TS has considered some friendly investors to share the load. TS said that he had not at this time, and that it’s probably not necessary. One possibility is a potential acquisition of the Valley and the training ground, but it might make more business sense to have some friendly real estate investors. He said that it might also be that we end up in “that weird place in the Championship where it would take a long time and a lot of money to get into the Premier League”. He said that he thinks he can avoid that by “just being smarter about how we run this business.” (That's great news because no investor will be remotely interested, Thomas.  You have nothing but debt and running costs to sell).

Mike asked what went wrong in last summer’s transfer window. TS said that one of two agents “really managed to screw up two main targets for us”. He said that “when you literally have a deal in place and you see them being shopped around other clubs, that’s very frustrating.” TS said that, other than that, he thinks we got a good start on building the club we want for the future. We brought in several young, hungry players who will continue to improve. “I don’t think we got a whole lot wrong. We missed out on a few opportunities. Realistically, you should probably expect that, but I’m very competitive.” (So why are we currently 16th in League 1, Thomas?   Maybe we got a lot wrong ... or does 'very competitive' mean OK with mid-table?).

I could go on, but it hurts me to do so.

The man is a half-wit.
    That makes depressing reading, he really doesn't have a clue does he ?
    I don’t think it is TS that is clueless.
    The difference being I'm not trying to run a football club & if I was, as I have no prior experience I would bring in somebody who knew what they were doing to give guidance if nothing else. I certainly wouldn't bring in my equally inexperienced son who I've known for a few years (is he adopted?) as a director of recruitment analysis. Running a football club is easy? So why are we sitting in an uncomfortable 16th with continuing plunging gates even with giving away thousands of free tickets. Give me a shout this time next year, let's see where we are.

Where you on the call?
  • Options
    There are a lot of positives about the 92 to 04 transformaiton, but there is a fair argument that the infrastructure of the club wasn't improved as revenue from TV money grew, be it the number of boxes at the Valley, no investment for example in the pitch, to the state of Sparrows Lane. I have a bit of sympathy for an argument that whilst the results on the pitch were good, the capital spend was done at the bottom of the market and hasn't set the club up well. 
  • Options
    Felt like a real-time U-turn on the CEO issue there.
    Or perhaps people made their own stories up about it .. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Felt like a real-time U-turn on the CEO issue there.
    Or perhaps people made their own stories up about it .. 
    Jackanory 
  • Options
    cabbles said:

And if you take into account the fans we lose (churn) then the actual growth is minimal.
    Its a tough job attracting fans, especially youngsters when you are competing with, PlayStation, Xbox, tiktok and YouTube.
    As others have said above, build a ream, play attractive football, get promoted and the fans will come.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    A few = 30 years ago 
    Time flys when you're having fun