Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Q&A with Thomas Sandgaard Thu 3 March - link to meeting notes p9

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else find the "wants to break even as soon as possible" line worrying? 
  • Options
    When I arrive at my seat not hearing “Addicks To Victory” either Thomas has sold up or discovered some humility…….guess which one my money’s on?
  • Options
    That Cat 1 work around was mentioned at the Fans forum meeting four or five months ago.

So did he say we're having an official audit or he's paying for a test audit to see if we'll pass the real thing?
    They're waiting for an official audit to be scheduled. 

The way it works is like many other audits. They're not looking for perfection per se, and the outcome is expected to be Cat1 status with an action plan to be outworked over the next year or longer. They do, of course, have to meet the basics, but you'd have thought between Ged Roddy and Steve Avory the knowledge is there.

No guarantees of course - the powers that be may not want a League One Cat1 academy. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    <insert negative comment here for the sake of whining>
    Insert using these scissors.

• Options
    I do agree with you @Lordflashheart, and I reckon many others who have been criticising would also recognise your points.

The question is however, would you give a chance to anyone else to act as CEO if they said at the interview:
    'I can only be around for  one week per month. I have to run another business in the US. I'll be a bit jet lagged and tired when I am over.' (60 years old and getting no younger).
    'I don't know much about football but it doesn't matter because I'll get my son to help out.' 'No he doesn't have any experience either.'
    'Football's not difficult. People are just making it seem like you need some expertise.'

TS seems a great bloke and I'd love to have an owner like him (the swushbucking, outgoing, fun loving, rock star side if his persona) succeed. Sadly, I don't see that happening. The only saving grace is that he will fund us with League One's third highest budget and so we shouldn't go down further. It seems to me that a lot of Lifers have got used to mediocrity, and are afraid to tell him that he's underestimating, even insulting, the employees of other clubs in our league.
    I agree with you, and he is displaying naivety with some comments and actions - we are indeed crying out for a CEO a la Peter Varney and people onboard with professional and proven British football skills - perhaps a co-investor to seriously beef up the money available not only in terms of budget, but also getting The Valley and Sparrows back under club ownership (I don’t personally see a co-owner happening though)

But, as I say - I am grateful to still have my club to support, and I am willing to give him time to see if his plans work, especially the circumstances he bought the club in (Covid, lockdowns and all that shit) - don’t forget he only bought the club in Sept 2020 - yes they got it wrong preparing for this season, and judging by his comments he and Adkins didn’t see eye to eye (and yes he held on to him too long)

My fear is that if fans pile into him (I hate that he is on Twatter) and go OTT with criticism, he will think ‘sod this for a laugh’ and sell up - we could end up with similar to the wankers we had before TS, then we will be proper crapping ourselves…..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m fully prepared for criticism for this post…..

I think the Elephant in the room, that some are ignoring on here, is that if TS hadn’t come in and saved Charlton Athletic FC, we would not have a club to support anymore, and indeed there would be no Charlton Life forum either (what would be the point) - so I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and let him push on and do what he thinks best

Yes, this season has been very disappointing

Yes, he has made mistakes, and will make more - as all owners will make (appointment of Dowie anybody !!!)

Yes, some of his statements are incorrect in terms of historical events / actions (and let’s face it, we are a group of supporters who have been through so many ups and downs, we probably are too knowledgable !!)

Yes, recruitment for this season was scattergun and poor - he admits that, and wants to correct that this summer

BUT I for one am just pleased that I am still able to get on the train at Dartford for a home game, a few beers in The Oak, walk to The Valley, and watch my team play (and indeed for many away games as well)

At least he speaks to us, and is a damn sight more impressive than that w*nker Southall

Give the bloke a fucking chance - he bought a professional football club in a country that (as far as I am aware) he has never lived in, that was on the verge of going bust in the middle of a global pandemic 
    @Maccn05 why the LOL ? 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Well that's a difficult one. Was it Sandgaard's idea to sign Chuks, John and Castillo? Or should he have vetoed those who suggested it? Should he make a habit of doing that?

Or are we actually going as far as to suggest that every signing is his fault because he's the owner. I think any other team might be looking elsewhere. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Well that's a difficult one. Was it Sandgaard's idea to sign Chuks, John and Castillo? Or should he have vetoed those who suggested it? Should he make a habit of doing that?

Or are we actually going as far as to suggest that every signing is his fault because he's the owner. I think any other team might be looking elsewhere. 
    He don’t  pick the players that’s down to JJ and SG … TS just signs the cheque and paperwork 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He don’t  pick the players that’s down to JJ and SG … TS just signs the cheque and paperwork 
    Schwartz? 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

I think the Elephant in the room, that some are ignoring on here, is that if TS hadn’t come in and saved Charlton Athletic FC, we would not have a club to support anymore, and indeed there would be no Charlton Life forum either (what would be the point) - so I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, and let him push on and do what he thinks best

Yes, he has made mistakes, and will make more - as all owners will make (appointment of Dowie anybody !!!)

Yes, some of his statements are incorrect in terms of historical events / actions (and let’s face it, we are a group of supporters who have been through so many ups and downs, we probably are too knowledgable !!)

Yes, recruitment for this season was scattergun and poor - he admits that, and wants to correct that this summer

BUT I for one am just pleased that I am still able to get on the train at Dartford for a home game, a few beers in The Oak, walk to The Valley, and watch my team play (and indeed for many away games as well)

At least he speaks to us, and is a damn sight more impressive than that w*nker Southall

Give the bloke a fucking chance - he bought a professional football club in a country that (as far as I am aware) he has never lived in, that was on the verge of going bust in the middle of a global pandemic 
    @Maccn05 why the LOL ? 
    Because I’m bored of the ‘he saved the club’ line. Would we have gone into admin? Almost certainly, would we have been bought? Almost certainly.

He did a great thing, that we’ll all always be thankful for and he’ll always have our respect for that… but it doesn’t get him a free pass forever

If we had of gone into admin and got docked points we’d have ended up struggling in 16th or looking over our shoulder … oh hold up, we already are 👀

You mention recruitment and he hasn’t admitted mistakes that I’ve seen only last week he said they got most things right last summer… that’s worth a LOL on its own. As for January has anyone seen John or Castillo and can any believe that Chuks got injured?!?!

I’ve said before id prefer he got it right but more and more I see the opposite and last week there were some scary signs with his stubbornness, arrogance and lack of football knowledge.

fingers and toes crossed for a massive summer and a huge turnaround.
    I thought all the long term signings were good personally; in both Januarys and last summer. Even Kirk. 
    Pity that one did not work out but I don’t think anyone thought it was a wrong un.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:

@Maccn05 why the LOL ? 
    Because I’m bored of the ‘he saved the club’ line. Would we have gone into admin? Almost certainly, would we have been bought? Almost certainly.

He did a great thing, that we’ll all always be thankful for and he’ll always have our respect for that… but it doesn’t get him a free pass forever

If we had of gone into admin and got docked points we’d have ended up struggling in 16th or looking over our shoulder … oh hold up, we already are 👀

You mention recruitment and he hasn’t admitted mistakes that I’ve seen only last week he said they got most things right last summer… that’s worth a LOL on its own. As for January has anyone seen John or Castillo and can any believe that Chuks got injured?!?!

I’ve said before id prefer he got it right but more and more I see the opposite and last week there were some scary signs with his stubbornness, arrogance and lack of football knowledge.

fingers and toes crossed for a massive summer and a huge turnaround.
    Well I don’t know how old you are, but I was first taken to The Valley in 1976 - I lived through Hulyer (who took us to the brink) Sunley (who took us to Shithurst), the Spivs of course, Roland, and Southwank 

In-between Sunley and Spivs obviously happy days (largely !!)

Be careful what you wish for - sleep on that….
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Ahem M A R D E N
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    “S said that, in parallel with that, we need to bring more people into the stadium, which might include people who have never seen a football game before, or never seen a Charlton game before. He mentioned that we have never really extended our reach beyond Greenwich, which we need to do, because there are fans all over London, and all over England. TS said that South London will get a lot more attention.”

This, as every Charlton fan knows, would be complete tosh, although I think he qualified it with “in recent years”, which is closer to the truth. Greenwich is about 20% of season-ticket holders and a huge amount of work was done outside the borough over two decades by both club and fans. 

The fact “there are fans all over London” is a red herring. There will be relatively few fans in London outside of the SE London boroughs/DA postcodes who don’t have roots in
    the latter area. There is way too much competition and noise to get any traction elsewhere in London and transport links are a significant factor too.

Charlton have badly neglected Kent (and part of East Sussex) in recent years and the sensible thing is to promote support where there is a Valley Express infrastructure to underpin it. This extended to schools and football teams on a large scale in the past but that work, which yielded new people still going today, has been largely abandoned.

it’s not the only thing that works and different strategies are needed locally but you are not going to redraw the map of London by giving free tickets away in areas that do not identify with Charlton at all, as is happening at present. It’s not how London works.
    I live near Clapham Common and I can get to the Valley in about an hour and a half, whether by car or public transport. Have taken friends to matches, and they enjoyed the experience, but they’re not Charlton fans and are unlikely to repeat the experience because of the three hours travelling. Wimbledon is a five to ten minute drive away and Chelsea and Fulham are also pretty close. 
    An hour and a half?! Do you drive the Larkfield coach?
    Good call - on a good day, can do it in less than that from Sunbury, going through Clapham Junction. Would have thought Clapham Junction to The Valley was about 40-45 minutes
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I get the feeling he does more than sign cheques, when you read his press releases where he talks about the "high press" "attacking options" and "defensive duties" I suspect his hands on approach reaches down to player selection.

There is no way Jacko & Gallen are going to TS and saying "we have just signed player xxxx, sign here please boss"
  • Options
    Chunes said:

I know I shouldn't but.....

The guy said himself, in this Q&A, what his involvement is, he doesn't just sign cheques. But you knew that already. 
  • Options
    Each to their own. I personally think that like Derby now we wouldn’t have gone under. Obviously it would have been a torrid time for the club … but that wasn’t the question.

As I’ve repeated I’m not a fan of the personality but I genuinely hope he makes a HUGE success of us - I just don’t think he will.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Each to their own. I personally think that like Derby now we wouldn’t have gone under. Obviously it would have been a torrid time for the club … but that wasn’t the question.

As I’ve repeated I’m not a fan of the personality but I genuinely hope he makes a HUGE success of us - I just don’t think he will.
    I think you must have told us approaching 100 times. 
    I think everyone must know your views. 
    I was responding to comment I was tagged in