Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton announce five-year partnership with RSK

Comments

• Options
    I don't wana get all terminator 2 about this, but the world is going mad and maybe RSK could produce an environmentally friendly giant sustainable uber robot that provides league one with eco friendly VAR 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Never heard of them, no idea what they do to get money.
    Sustainability is one of the biggest growth industries in the UK. If I had kids heading towards degrees and A Levels I would be encouraging them into this field.  It is the future and will see exponential growth as people realise all other industries are pointless without a planet capable of supporting life.
    When I worked in Private Equity (left in December) the biggest question that potential investors had about investment portfolios was what the companies in the portfolio were doing about ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) which included sustainability.  It's become as important as any financial detail.  Good sponsor especially in this day.
  • Options
    Come on everyone, first login today and I’d expected some mock ups, what have you all been doing with yourselves?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    That was my first reaction when I saw the news earlier on today - "Why is a West London estate agents sponsoring a South East London football club?" I get something in the post from them every few months claiming they have corporate clients who'd want to rent out my flat.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    They seem one of the bigger sponsors we've had over the years. Hopefully their shirt logo isn't green, although I'd take some green on the away kit.

I'd like to see some green on the shorts after a few of the recent performances.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    CafcWest said:
    seth plum said:
    Sustainability is one of the biggest growth industries in the UK. If I had kids heading towards degrees and A Levels I would be encouraging them into this field.  It is the future and will see exponential growth as people realise all other industries are pointless without a planet capable of supporting life.
    When I worked in Private Equity (left in December) the biggest question that potential investors had about investment portfolios was what the companies in the portfolio were doing about ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) which included sustainability.  It's become as important as any financial detail.  Good sponsor especially in this day.
    Similar. I left my banking role in September, but we had an ESG team working on every deal with our clients (global accountancy & legal firms in my case). All corporates looking at what they can do and debt deals structured with incentives from the banks to reduce margins when measurable criteria are met. I think this is a great sponsor and look forward to seeing what it means for us on the sustainability front. 
  • Options
    Do they have a vegan staff kitchen?
  • Options
    Know nothing about them but on the face of it this seems like good news. Well done the commercial team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    seth plum said:
    If only there was someway find out
    @Henry Irving can you give us a quick breakdown as I have not got access to the internet at the moment 
    I would @MrOneLung but I don't use social media 
  • Options
    We have become more suspicious I suppose.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Jesus wept, what have we become.

Pre internet when a sponsor was announced we used to give it a nano second to digest, then the main question was what would the new shirt look like.

Fast forward and now a full investigation is carried out on said sponsor including financials, board of directors and strategy. 
    I'd guess something vaguely like this. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    great that an innovative and fast growing company has faith in the Addicks .. RSK though looks like a prime target for a hedge fund takeover before too long
  • Options
    Charlton do seem to have a track record of sponsors going out of business.. I can think of 2 or 3
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Charlton do seem to have a track record of sponsors going out of business.. I can think of 2 or 3
     Llanera and Allsports were the only ones to go bust whilst sponsoring us weren't they?
  • Options
    Based in Cheshire. I’m presuming we’ve got Southall to thank for this one? 
    *blushes*
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    12 month accounts to April 2021 (consolidated)

Turnover £350m
    Operating profit £3.7m
    Net loss £22m (prior year loss £17m)
    Fixed assets £158m
    Current assets £396m (incl cash of £69m)
    Liabilities £476m
    Net worth negative £79m (prior year negative £55m)

On the face of it, awful

BUT during the year the group acquired 15 other businesses, raised £1bn in debt from one lender and a new £40m revolving credit line from NatWest - it’s EBITDA has grown from £17m in 2017 to £40m in 2021, and turnover has grown from £111m in 2017 to £350m in 2021

Clearly a business that is on a huge growth and acquisition strategy 

My only reservation - and this is me being the boring risk averse banker - it’s growth is all funded by debt - sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t - but we are now in a world of rising interest rates and inflation …….
    Useful analysis.

The positive view, from semi-financially literate me, on that is that £1bn loan/debt is approx three years turnover and it has been spent, it appears, on growth and income generating acquisitions.

So if the 15 other business do well, and I presume there is some synergy between them and RSK as a group, then those top line figures will improve over the next 5 to 10 years.

My guess is that the annual payments to Charlton are, at best, six figures so not hugely significant on the P & L.   

The doom and glom view (and so the most popular on CL) is that they are loaded with debt and so must be a bunch of crooks. (this is not my view BTW).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Turnover £350m
    Operating profit £3.7m
    Fixed assets £158m
    Liabilities £476m

On the face of it, awful

BUT during the year the group acquired 15 other businesses, raised £1bn in debt from one lender and a new £40m revolving credit line from NatWest - it’s EBITDA has grown from £17m in 2017 to £40m in 2021, and turnover has grown from £111m in 2017 to £350m in 2021

My only reservation - and this is me being the boring risk averse banker - it’s growth is all funded by debt - sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t - but we are now in a world of rising interest rates and inflation …….
    Interesting to see it broken down like that, so thank you. This is (hopefully) where WM will have earned his money and done his job in analysing the risk vs reward so I suppose we have to trust that he's done it right. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

No recently.

Last five all still around

KW

Betdaq

Andrews   

University of Greenwich  

KRBS  

Others like Mesh and Viglin still around in different forms (Viglin were bought by Amstrad IIRC)

Woolwich were absorbed by Barclays, Fads went but a long time after our deal ended.

Llanera and all:sports went under but I think Cabrini are still around.

Not sure about Sunley Builders
  • Options

Turnover £350m
    Operating profit £3.7m
    Fixed assets £158m
    Liabilities £476m

On the face of it, awful

Useful analysis.

The positive view, from this semi-financially literate poster, on that is that £1bn loan/debt is approx three years turnover and it has been spent, it appears, on growth and income generating acquisitions.

So if the 15 other business do well, and I presume there is some synergy between them and RSK as a group, then those top line figures will improve over the next 5 to 10 years.

My guess is that the annual payments to Charlton are, at best, six figures so not hugely significant on the P & L.   

The doom and glom view (and so the most popular on CL) is that they are loaded with debt and so must be a bunch of crooks. (this is not my view BTW).
    Thank you - I merely quickly went through the latest set of accounts, and read the Directors report - if I had the time, I could do the sort of analysis I have to do in my job i.e. last 5 years financial performance etc

I am not in the ‘doom and gloom’ club, as I have seen these strategies many times over the years - some work, some don’t - at the end of the day, in my experience, whilst there are outside forces that a business cannot control (interest rates, inflation, a mad Russian who starts a war etc), it’s really about the people who run the business and their skills and abilities 

The company is long established (1999), so no ‘new kid on the block’

As for those criticising those of us who have delved into the background of a new sponsor, if you are not interested, fair enough, but there are others who are - the modern world gives us access to huge amounts of information, why not take advantage of that

To put it another way, remember ITV Digital - many football league clubs went on a spending spree when the deal was signed with them to televise matches (Gillingham were a notable victim) and when ITV Digital collapsed, it created serious financial problems for those clubs who had already spent the future contracted revenues, which of course never arrived - for me it’s the same as signing a major new sponsor i.e. are they financially sound / what if they went bust ?
  • Options

Turnover £350m
    Operating profit £3.7m
    Fixed assets £158m
    Liabilities £476m

On the face of it, awful

Useful analysis.

The positive view, from this semi-financially literate poster, on that is that £1bn loan/debt is approx three years turnover and it has been spent, it appears, on growth and income generating acquisitions.

High praise

Is this fair?
    20% yes
    78 % no
    5% unsure
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Bit of a risk.
    Not just a bit, 3/4. 
  • Options

Turnover £350m
    Operating profit £3.7m
    Fixed assets £158m
    Liabilities £476m

On the face of it, awful

Useful analysis.

High praise

Is this fair?
    20% yes
    78 % no
    5% unsure
    Ha !!

Very good
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Based in Cheshire. I’m presuming we’ve got Southall to thank for this one? 
    *blushes*
    Oh ffs Bob. What you done now?

😉
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

No recently.

Last five all still around

KW

Betdaq

Andrews   

University of Greenwich  

KRBS  

Others like Mesh and Viglin still around in different forms (Viglin were bought by Amstrad IIRC)

Woolwich were absorbed by Barclays, Fads went but a long time after our deal ended.

Llanera and all:sports went under but I think Cabrini are still around.

Not sure about Sunley Builders
    They were the ones I was thinking of..