Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Switzerland / Ivory Coast

Didnt even realise that we had friendlies planned for this latest International Break.

First up are Switzerland on 26th March, then Ivory Coast on the 29th March, both games being held at Wembley.

Squad gets announced @ 2pm.

Comments

• Options
    FA lost out on hosting the Italy game in Nations League as it’s behind close doors, so got two home matches to make up for the lost revenue.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Goalkeepers:  Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)
    Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Ben White (Arsenal)
    Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Crystal Palace, loan from Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
    Forwards: Tammy Abraham (AS Roma), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I guess Fikayi Tomori is going to be the big absence from the squad, seems to be getting rave reviews in Italy.

Great to see Conor getting another chance
  • Options
    Tomori is arguably our best centre back.
  • Options
    Got tickets for the Ivory Coast game, first England game i'll have been too. Usually wouldn't even bother watching them 
  • Options
    Going to both of these. Sitting in the lower tier thankfully.

The upper tier at Wembley for England games is like hell on earth.
  • Options
    How the actual fuck has Maguire been picked? Horrendously out of form, give someone untried a go as they're only friendlies.

Shaw can only be in because there is no one else.
  • Options
    Harry Maguire has been arguably England’s best defender for the past 5 years - surely that counts for something?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    The fact that Harry Maguire makes this squad gives me hope that, despite being 36 and not English, I still have a shot. 
    Sounds like you would qualify for the Republic of Ireland 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    cafctom said:
    Harry Maguire has been arguably England’s best defender for the past 5 years - surely that counts for something?
    I feel like the wheels have been falling off for the last couple of years though. 

I'm not a big fan of "you should pick players based solely on their club form." I do actually think international form counts for something, and the international game is very different to the Premier League. And to be fair to Maguire, he is often left very exposed by the team in front of him at Manchester United. But, given his form, it feels like now would be a good time to give him a break. Why Tomori isn't in the squad is beyond me, he's been a stalwart for first place Milan this season. It would also be a good time to bring Gomez back in, or maybe bring in someone like Konsa (though I think he's injured). 

Come tournament time, even come Nations League time, I fully expect Maguire to be in the team and unless things get even worse I wouldn't really argue with that. But for two meaningless friendlies, and given that England aren't blessed with quality in depth at CB, it seems like as good of a time as any to blood some players on the periphery. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The friendlies aren’t meaningless though are they? Especially when the team get limited opportunities to train and play together leading up to a tournament.

England’s defence at the Euros was superb. They only conceded one goal from open play (Italy in the final). Maguire has been superb in an England shirt, and until his form drops for England then that call up keeps coming. 

I agree that Tomori should be given a chance (ahead of the Palace player).

Not sure about Konsa/Gomez…If we take the Charlton tinted glasses off I don’t think they’ve warranted a call up ahead of anyone else to be honest. 
  • Options
    I suspect that Gomez is going to have to move on from Liverpool, if he is going to continue his England career
  • Options
    Sancho missing is an odd one.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The friendlies aren’t meaningless though are they? Especially when the team get limited opportunities to train and play together leading up to a tournament.

England’s defence at the Euros was superb. They only conceded one goal from open play (Italy in the final). Maguire has been superb in an England shirt, and until his form drops for England then that call up keeps coming. 

Not sure about Konsa/Gomez…If we take the Charlton tinted glasses off I don’t think they’ve warranted a call up ahead of anyone else to be honest. 
    Marc Guehi sounded like a decent prospect @ Chelsea, surprised they sold him to Palace so quickly - Surprised that both Coady and Mings have kept their place ahead of Tomori, even Trevor Chalobah.
  • Options
    Sancho missing is an odd one.
    Yeah I missed this in my first read over of the squad but it's quite odd. He's a quality player who would be an automatic starter for a lot of international sides, and on top of that he's found form for United. Not really sure what's going on there. 
  • Options
    So. Number 1

Ramsdale or Pickford?
  • Options
    So. Number 1

Ramsdale or Pickford?
    Pickford... Reasons per what ValleyGary says about Maguire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suspect that Gomez is going to have to move on from Liverpool, if he is going to continue his England career
    Think something must already in motion for the summer. He’s got to leave Liverpool and start playing games if he wants to not only play for England but not become a player who is forgotten about.
  • Options
    So. Number 1

Ramsdale or Pickford?
    I agree. Despite not having a great season he’s never let England down. 
    I’d have no issue with Ramsdale either though.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Marc Guehi sounded like a decent prospect @ Chelsea, surprised they sold him to Palace so quickly - Surprised that both Coady and Mings have kept their place ahead of Tomori, even Trevor Chalobah.
    Chelsea do have a buy back clause though
  • Options
    So. Number 1

Ramsdale or Pickford?
    I agree. Despite not having a great season he’s never let England down. 
    I’d have no issue with Ramsdale either though.
    Me neither, I didn't rate him at Sheff Utd / Bournemouth

Thought Arsenal signed him as a No. 2 or were fools for getting him in the first place.

Really happy to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    TAA out for several weeks with a hamstring injury. England down to 20 decent right back options!
  • Options
    Ramsdale is the future and a far better goalkeeper than Pickford. Pickford probably deserves to stay for the time being though as we do have a tournament in a few months. 

Pickford may be quality in an England shirt but come 2024, Ramsdale will be in goal. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022

“I don’t think it ever crossed our minds not to select Harry Maguire for this squad. He has been a key part of the starting XI that got us to a World Cup semi-final and a European Championship final.

“I know the club are going through a difficult period but you have to look at who are our best players and the core of that team and he is in that group. No doubt in my mind that he is one of our best centre backs and form in that sense is temporary. 

“There is also in our forward areas a lot more competition for those wide places, so I will always be accused of double standards on picking on form but there are nuances to that because we are not picking the 100m finalists here, where the fastest time wins and it is all very clear. There is a more difficult path on selecting a football team and selecting a squad, but Harry is now on over 40 caps, a consistently strong performer for us, he was over the Autumn period as well, and hopefully he can continue that vein of form with us that he has had for such a long period of time.”

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2022/Mar/17/gareth-southgate-england-squad-announcement-20220317

• Options
    Tammy got 2 in the Rome derby tonight. Hope he gets a start as we need a back up to Kane.
  • Options
    I’ve got two tickets for the Switzerland game for sale, lower tier block 113. £30 the pair. DM me if interested