Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup draw (1st April, 5pm UK)

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Won’t all Charlton games be cancelled?  I mean Thomas says we only need two or three signings to get this squad promoted so I assume we’re signing M’Bappe, Van Dyke and Messi. 
  • Options

Thousands of people died when they were working on them.

The bizarre careless neglect of healthy and safety regulations, sounds pretty awful and incredibly stupid.

After the world cup, what will the stadiums be used for?
  • Options
    edited April 2022

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Opening games for all 32 teams:

Day 1 (Mon):

Netherlands v Senegal 10am - Al Thumama
    England v Iran 1pm - Khalifa International
    Qatar v Ecuador 4pm - Al Bayt
    USA v Euro qualifier 7pm - Ahmad Bin Ali

Day 2 (Tue):

Argentina v Saudi Arabia 10am - Lusail Iconic
    Denmark v Tunisia 1pm - Education City
    Mexico v Poland 4pm - Stadium 974
    France v Peru/Australia/UAE 7pm - Al Janoub

Day 3 (Wed):

Morocco v Croatia 10am - Al Bayt
    Germany v Japan 1pm - Khalifa International
    Spain v Costa Rica/New Zealand 4pm - Al Thumama
    Belgium v Canada 7pm - Ahmad Bin Ali

Day 4 (Thu):

Switzerland v Cameroon 10am - Al Janoub
    Uruguay v South Korea 1pm - Education City
    Portugal v Ghana 4pm - Stadium 974
    Brazil v Serbia 7pm - Lusail Iconic
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Thousands of people died when they were working on them.

The bizarre careless neglect of healthy and safety regulations, sounds pretty awful and incredibly stupid.

After the world cup, what will the stadiums be used for?
    The 39th EPL games.
  • Options
    A hut for £164 a night.  Sheer luxury! 

• Options
    Italy arent there of course but a big statement from Argentina last night beating them 3-0

Unbeaten in 32-matches now.
  • Options
    I was at the game. Argentina absolutely bossed them, and Italy barely had any look in. 

• Options
    edited June 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62492293

The first World Cup where I may well not bother watching the first match/first day.

England up second so will just watch that.
  • Options

"The World Cup is set to start one day earlier than planned on Sunday, 20 November with hosts Qatar taking on Ecuador.

The Group A opener was due to be played on 21 November at 16:00 GMT, as the third match of the competition."

Presumably it's just tough shit if you're from Ecuador and booked all your flights when the matches were confirmed back in April on the basis of your first game being on Sunday rather than Monday. Good old FIFA

• Options
    It’s more in line with the last few World Cups that the hosts play the opening game all by itself on the first day.

Why they didn’t schedule it that way from the beginning is a mystery. And will definitely have messed up a few people’s plans that had tickets.
  • Options
    It’s more in line with the last few World Cups that the hosts play the opening game all by itself on the first day.

Why they didn’t schedule it that way from the beginning is a mystery. And will definitely have messed up a few people’s plans that had tickets.
    All very bizarre to be fair, no idea what they were thinking given the hosts have recently been playing the first match of the tournament.
  • Options
    Piss up in a brewery comes to mind.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

"The World Cup is set to start one day earlier than planned on Sunday, 20 November with hosts Qatar taking on Ecuador.

The Group A opener was due to be played on 21 November at 16:00 GMT, as the third match of the competition."

Presumably it's just tough shit if you're from Ecuador and booked all your flights when the matches were confirmed back in April on the basis of your first game being on Sunday rather than Monday. Good old FIFA

Whilst i agree it makes sense to have Qatar as hosts playing first, i'm not sure why they've had to mess things up and start it one day earlier?

Now you'd obviously assume Ecuador won't exactly be the best supported nation there, but like you say it's still going to fuck over any fans who had flights booked and were scheduled to arrive late on the Sunday or early on the Monday morning.

Qatar v Ecuador was scheduled to be match 3 on the first day. Senegal v Holland was first. Why not just swap those 2 matches round?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Whilst i agree it makes sense to have Qatar as hosts playing first, i'm not sure why they've had to mess things up and start it one day earlier?

Now you'd obviously assume Ecuador won't exactly be the best supported nation there, but like you say it's still going to fuck over any fans who had flights booked and were scheduled to arrive late on the Sunday or early on the Monday morning.

Qatar v Ecuador was scheduled to be match 3 on the first day. Senegal v Holland was first. Why not just swap those 2 matches round?
    South American countries were by far the best supported in Russia, extraordinary numbers given the finances involved in getting there for them. Comfortably 20 Colombians to every England fan in the stadium in Moscow. Loads of Peruvians in the country for there games as well. There will be plenty of Ecuadorians on the wrong end of this decision.

Makes no sense anyway. First game is always the host. Why the hell depart from that convention in the first place? Only to change it back to the usual format a few months down the line. 

I hate myself for knowing that I'll watch every game possible of this horrible tournament.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

South American countries were by far the best supported in Russia, extraordinary numbers given the finances involved in getting there for them. Comfortably 20 Colombians to every England fan in the stadium in Moscow. Loads of Peruvians in the country for there games as well. There will be plenty of Ecuadorians on the wrong end of this decision.

Makes no sense anyway. First game is always the host. Why the hell depart from that convention in the first place? Only to change it back to the usual format a few months down the line. 

I hate myself for knowing that I'll watch every game possible of this horrible tournament.
    Completely sums up my feelings - I hate that FIFA were corrupt enough to give it to Qatar (Australia would have been my choice, would have been class), hate the way it's been built, what it represents.

And yet I've been working from home 4 or 5 days a week since Covid, so can I honestly say I'm not going to have almost every match playing in the background while I'm working on a miserable Tuesday in November?

Of course I will.
  • Options
    Anyone off here going and have booked accommodation?
    Trying to find somewhere that serves alcohol is difficult 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Colombians don’t require a visa to visit Russia. Not sure about the other South American countries. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shag said:
    Yes, I’m going for 10 nights and went through Sportsworld (the FA travel partner). 

Don’t think alcohol is going to be as much of a problem as many are making out. The fan parks will serve it, as will many hotels/restaurants.

The main difference will be that they ask people to not be over the top in their drunken behaviour in public, and to not drink in non-designated spaces
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Their argument was the timing of that game was poor for Ecuadorian fans watching at home as it was the middle of the night. I'm not sure how much thought they usually gives to teams in that sense though. Maybe just because it's the opening game and they don't want the tv figures to be a disgrace
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    cafctom said:
    Shag said:
    Yes, I’m going for 10 nights and went through Sportsworld (the FA travel partner). 

Don’t think alcohol is going to be as much of a problem as many are making out. The fan parks will serve it, as will many hotels/restaurants.

The main difference will be that they ask people to not be over the top in their drunken behaviour in public, and to not drink in non-designated spaces
    My biggest client is in Doha and im in constant comms with ex-pats there and can confirm this is correct. They go out and get pissed all the time. The media chat so much shit.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    Shag said:
    Just a heads up, but there is a new accommodation site being offered now called Al Messila / Darb El Saei. Its much more central than the other big fan accommodation sites, close to hotels that serve alcohol and between 2 metro stations.
  • Options
    This World Cup has been such a joke from the start that I wouldn't be surprised at this headline someday soon in the media:

April Fools. Real World Cup draw today at 8pm.
  • Options
    I've heard that if Qatar lose their first game it will be played again and again until they win.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I've heard that if Qatar lose their first game it will be played again and again until they win.
    Where did you hear that iaitch?