Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup draw (1st April, 5pm UK)

The draw will take place tomorrow at 5pm UK time.

England are in Pot 1 alongside Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, Argentina, Spain and Portugal. Some notable names to avoid in Pot 2 are Netherlands, Germany, Croatia and Uruguay.

Links below to England perspective on the draw as well as the FIFA official procedure for how the draw will play out.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2022/Mar/11/fifa-qatar-2022-world-cup-draw-where-when-details-20221103

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/procedures-for-the-final-draw-for-the-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-released

The S*n have released their personal "Group of Death" which would include England, Germany, Senegal and Peru. But you can simulate your own draws at the links below:

https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/

https://draw.inker.one/#/wc/gs

Who do you hope to be drawn against and who are you hoping to avoid?

Comments

• Options
    I’d only want to avoid Netherlands and Germany. Not too bothered about the rest tbh. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Switzerland Croatia - Iran - Canada

OR 

United States - Morocco - Saudi Arabia

Worst Group would have to be

Netherlands or Germany - Senegal or Japan - Ecuador or Costa Rica
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I’d only want to avoid Netherlands and Germany. Not too bothered about the rest tbh. 
    Not worried about France or Belgium?

Edit: Doh, they’re in the same pot as you.
  • Options
    Simmed us in group F with Croatia, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia…if only. 
  • Options
    I got Group A as - 
    Qatar
    Switzerland
    Poland
    Canada

That's got to be a contender for weakest World Cup Group of all time
  • Options
    And Denmark. It's best to avoid those 3 and be more assured of top spot.

I want France to get Switzerland, Japan and Cameroon, and for USA to get their arses kicked by Iran and Argentina.
  • Options
    England v Qatar final.

We lose on penalties.
  • Options
    Can we all agree we're favourites so that people don't try and rewrite history when we get knocked out that we 'overachieved' this time please. 

Euros had our name on it. 
  • Options
    Can we all agree we're favourites so that people don't try and rewrite history when we get knocked out that we 'overachieved' this time please. 

I can't agree. The favourites are probably France and Brazil. Belgium too if you go by FIFA rankings.
    I think that we would be the best team in the world and real favourites if we had a modern day Terry Butcher and Des Walker in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022

Apart from the fact that Italy went into the Tournament with a decent unbeaten record. Always thought it would be an England vs Italy Final, even before it all started, but never really felt we'd have enough to beat them - 2014 World Cup bucked the trend, but the warm climate World Cup's have nearly always been won by a South American team, so going to back Brazil to win this one.

I do hope the media lay off the pressure though.

The last couple of Tournaments under Southgate no one has expected anything

Suddenly now, we're back to being expected challengers for the title, and quite rightly so - But equally hope that there is realisation that the fact the players were allowed to just get on with things, gets remembered too
  • Options

Didn't know we spelt our name I-T-A-L-Y.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The same Italy that can't make it to the World Cup? 

That Italy was better than our side? 

A lot of fear over nothing. We sat back and let them dominate because we were too scared to see if we could beat them. And we could have. 

Again we have clearly the best squad on paper. I agree there shouldn't be pressure, but there should be a healthy level of expectation. Both in results and attacking performances. 
  • Options
    Odds suggest we are third favourites behind Brazil and France.
  • Options

The same way you bleated on about how England were going to achieve nothing before the Euros started and then had to backtrack as each round went by…?
  • Options
    On our day we are better than any team out there. But this is tournament football, anything can happen. France, if they click, are the team that worry me. I think Belgium are done and aren’t good enough defensively. Brazil are Brazil, but South American football is poor at the moment so it’s hard to judge how good they are. We certainly have a great chance.
  • Options
    world cup of beers could be an interesting one this year 

dont think youll find a saudi or qatari beer ;) 
  • Options
    We can win this world cup and I believe we will at least make the semi final again.

If we do manage to win the world cup!....without complaining, it would just a bit of a shame that it's hosted in Qatar...and it will be in the winter!

It will also hugely disrupt the league competition.

Not quite the enjoyable tradition we all know and love.

Tradition and internal pride has continued to be shat all over, ever since Sven was the England manager

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love the World Cup. Endless sunny summer days watching three games back to back in a beer garden somewhere, soaking up the rays ........ oh, hang on.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    On our day we are better than any team out there. But this is tournament football, anything can happen. France, if they click, are the team that worry me. I think Belgium are done and aren’t good enough defensively. Brazil are Brazil, but South American football is poor at the moment so it’s hard to judge how good they are. We certainly have a great chance.
    France have a proud tradition to uphold - Brazil are the only winners (1994 | 2002) to have gone beyond the Group Stages in the following Tournament since the World Cup grew to 32-teams.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Beat the easy teams and then people can complain that we can only beat easy teams.

Beat the tougher teams and then have people suggest that they’re not as good as they used to be anyway ;)
    Win the bloody thing and no-one complains.....oh wait a minute.

• Options
    I more so warm to the idea that whoever wins the competition....will host the next one.

If that country wins it again, then they host it again.

Sounds a bit unfair on poorer countries etc, but it is a simple solution to a resolvable money grabbing boring problem 
  • Options
    The same Italy that can't make it to the World Cup? 

That Italy was better than our side? 

A lot of fear over nothing. We sat back and let them dominate because we were too scared to see if we could beat them. And we could have. 

Again we have clearly the best squad on paper. I agree there shouldn't be pressure, but there should be a healthy level of expectation. Both in results and attacking performances. 
    Slightly re-writing history there, which you have a tendency to do where England’s involved. We scored after 2 minutes and then battered them for following 25. In fact that opening 25 minutes was probably the most high intensity, attacking performance I’ve seen under Southgate. But Italy weathered it and grew back into the game as you would expect a team like them to do. We definitely didn’t ‘sit back’ nor were we ‘scared’. As the game grew on, there was an element of don’t do anything stupid to lose the game perhaps.
    So many finals at the professional level go to extra time and penalties for exactly this reason - you can sometimes make a bit of money by backing the draw through the knockout stages of a tournament.

• Options
    I got Group A as - 
    Qatar
    Switzerland
    Poland
    Canada

That's got to be a contender for weakest World Cup Group of all time
    I reckon Qatar are nailed on for some 'easier' draws in the other 3 spots in their group so they don't get too embarrassed in their own World Cup.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Beat the easy teams and then people can complain that we can only beat easy teams.

Beat the tougher teams and then have people suggest that they’re not as good as they used to be anyway ;)
    Win the bloody thing and no-one complains.....oh wait a minute.

Honestly…I reckon people would still complain.
  • Options
    Couldn’t care who we play. Care more about the timings than the opposition. Personally would hope we get Germany or Scotland to make the build up to a game more exciting. 
  • Options
    Couldn’t care who we play. Care more about the timings than the opposition. Personally would hope we get Germany or Scotland to make the build up to a game more exciting. 
    Four games daily through the knockout rounds with kick off times: 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm

Knockout stage kick offs: 3pm, 7pm
  • Options
    I assume league 1 games will still be being played throughout the world cup?