Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited June 2022
    Imagine the following scenario, one all long suffering addicks can relate to.

We lose a game 1-0, playing sh*t having trained badly the week before, got our tactics all wrong, picked the wrong team & made all the wrong substitutions.

On Monday morning, the game is reviewed to analyse what went wrong.

In the next match, following an excellent weeks training and having assessed the opposition, a much changed team playing in revised formation using different tactics, batters our opponents for ninety minutes.

However, their keeper plays a blinder and sends a speculative punt upfield trying to waste time at the end, which takes a freakish deflection off a divot (Tim Flowers like) and ends up in our net. We lose, 1-0.

I would argue that we did learn from the first game, and improved our chances of winning in the second, but we couldn't influence how their keeper performed on the day and the end result was the same.

That's how I look at this summer's transfer window compared to last so far. Much has changed in the way we've gone about it I believe, but we've still got no one in to show for it, so no proof as yet. However, I predict that will change today and we'll have new signings to appraise.

• Chunes said:
    Seems to be a real lack of talent available compared to previous seasons
    Talent is always available, you just usually have to pay for it. If you simply rely on freebies & loans you'll probably not end up that successful. 
    Who was the most recent player we signed for a fee when we last got promoted and was still there?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    How many first team players does the club have at the moment. 
    17, including the 2 keepers. 
    Did you forget to put the cat out, Mr Purrington 😺, taking it down to 16. So it's a possible 12 in, (6 perms, 6 loans)
  • swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    Did you forget to put the cat out, Mr Purrington 😺, taking it down to 16. So it's a possible 12 in, (6 perms, 6 loans)
    Not sure we will get that many in, I reckon 3 loans, 4 perms.. They will promote a few young lads.. Pretty good batch coming through, I think they will give them a chance!
  • edited June 2022
    May have been sensible to hire a training camp that also has indoor facilities. Spain, in the summer, with increasing global temperatures. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Three signings next week and we can all agree we are on track for a cracking season.

It is tomorrow that training starts.
    We leave for Spain on Saturday.
    Depends who the 3 are doesn't it?

If its Gunter, Watson and Souare I think we would all agree we won't be on for a cracking season.

Even if it's 3 cracking signings it still depends if we back it up or not.  We started last seasons business well enough. 

I wish I could be as blindy optimistic as you. 
    Great news, the Black Box, it say “NO” to all three of those players so we will not be signing them. What a start to the week!

If you will still be pessimistic even of we signed three players this week, let alone “cracking” signings, then I feel a little sad for you. 

For me, three permanent signings this week will show we are progressing as a club as I trust SG to get in good ones, and then we will be able to have a good shot at top six. Really exciting time of the year and looking forward to the new season.

Live, Love, Laugh and be happy 😊 
  • swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    6 of them would have to be "under age"......
  • Scoham said:
    Jonny Williams signing tomorrow according to Facebook

Update on this, the person who posted it insisted it is Williams and heard him say he’s signing for Gillingham.
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Update on this, the person who posted it insisted it is Williams and heard him say he’s signing for Gillingham.
    Phew! 😥 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Thank fuck 
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    I'd be amazed if we signed 12 new players. I think 7 is a more realistic number, but of course it depends on who leaves. For example we could easily keep MacGillivray, but i'm not convinced he can play the way Garner wants, so him going would obviously mean a new keeper coming in.
  • If we only sign 7 players (including loanees) then I'll be throwing in the towel.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    msomerton said:
    6 of them would have to be "under age"......
    Ah, now by my recknoning I think you might be wrong about that. Only 5 would have to be under age. You're forgetting that Albie Morgan is really Peter Pan 🤣
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Three signings next week and we can all agree we are on track for a cracking season.

If its Gunter, Watson and Souare I think we would all agree we won't be on for a cracking season.

Even if it's 3 cracking signings it still depends if we back it up or not.  We started last seasons business well enough. 

Great news, the Black Box, it say “NO” to all three of those players so we will not be signing them. What a start to the week!

If you will still be pessimistic even of we signed three players this week, let alone “cracking” signings, then I feel a little sad for you. 

For me, three permanent signings this week will show we are progressing as a club as I trust SG to get in good ones, and then we will be able to have a good shot at top six. Really exciting time of the year and looking forward to the new season.

I'll be optimistic when there is something to be optimistic about.

I see absolutely no reason to be optimistic, nor to be all doom and gloom either.

I'll judge our business as and when it gets done.

Blind faith on SG getting the good ones in, after the last 3 windows, is just that.  Blind faith.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

I see absolutely no reason to be optimistic, nor to be all doom and gloom either.

Blind faith on SG getting the good ones in, after the last 3 windows, is just that.  Blind faith.
    Really? And what were the permanent signings you didn’t like?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If we only sign 7 players (including loanees) then I'll be throwing in the towel.
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Have I converted you two?! 😉
  • Sage said:
    Never heard of him personally but having looked, he has played basically 4 full seasons at League One, mainly as a right back. 2 years at Accrington Stanley, one season at Portsmouth, and one year on loan at Fleetwood. Rarely misses a game and usually plays 90 minutes but doesn’t have many assist, although he did score 4 times last season. Seems a solid right back from the very, very little information I’ve put together.
    sort out a solid back 4 and let the 6 players in front create
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Based purely on last summer?

Sourae, Henderson, Kirk, Matthews so that's 4 out of 7.

Window before Rocket Ronnie and DJ 2/2

Then we have the Watson, Gunter, Maddison, Boggle, Matthews again window.

Of course we have signed SOME good players.  Of course we will sign some more.  Will we sign enough?  

Neither of us know.  You obviously expect different results this time round.  I see no reason why it will be better and I'll judge it one what happens, not what I hope happens.

• We talk about needing 16 players in but I think a few could leave making this more. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see any of the following move on…

Davidson
    MacG
    DJ
    Gilbey
    Kirk

Even Stockley has been mentioned as a possible sale.

Realistically it is going to take Garner a couple of windows (atleast) to get the squad he most likely wants.
  • We talk about needing 16 players in but I think a few could leave making this more. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see any of the following move on…

Davidson
    MacG
    DJ
    Gilbey
    Kirk

Realistically it is going to take Garner a couple of windows (atleast) to get the squad he most likely wants.
    I think the talk of 16 relates to the current squad size as that's what it is, not what's needed, but I stand to be corrected.
  • Sponsored links:

• Max Haygarth could be interesting?  Was he at Brentford when de souza was there?

Nya Kirby is a local lad, good pedigree.

Ben Woodburn is probably championship bound but could be worth a look.
  • ForCafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Based purely on last summer?

Sourae, Henderson, Kirk, Matthews so that's 4 out of 7.

Window before Rocket Ronnie and DJ 2/2

Then we have the Watson, Gunter, Maddison, Boggle, Matthews again window.

Of course we have signed SOME good players.  Of course we will sign some more.  Will we sign enough?  

Neither of us know.  You obviously expect different results this time round.  I see no reason why it will be better and I'll judge it one what happens, not what I hope happens.

I think this is the crux of what us optimistic fans don’t understand. I fully understand that you will judge on what actually happens, but I don’t understand the incessant negativity through the process.

But you are right, I do indeed expect different and better results this time. I like that changes have been made to the recruitment system and I think MS will be able to have a positive influence on TS.
    MS has had a lot of negative comments about asking questions of the training. That was not my take. I thought it a very good question. Why is our training intensity 10% down on Championship teams?

I suspect that age and lack of pre season to have been part of the answer. We know that we are off to Spain and TS has said it was a mistake last year. That is what gives me confidence that the recruitment team will be going flat out to sign three players before they leave.

Even if it does not work out I applaud the Club for identifying the issues and then trying to do something about it. As you suggest, we will judge what happens and how successful it has been in the fullness of time - about the beginning of December for the early signs?

As an aside, for me a 1 year deal is an acceptance that the you do not think a player is good enough and you ran out of money or time. Probably both. Shit happens and we have had way to much of it. Hopefully we will get less and less plug fillers.

Davidson
    MacG
    DJ
    Gilbey
    Kirk

Not by TS. Said he is pretty much going nowhere unless a ridiculous offer comes in for Stockley.

Think DJ, Mac and Gilbey will stay personally. Prefer Morgan goes as he isn't good enough at all. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Spot on. 
  • The meltdown when one of them is Marquis is going to be spectacular.