Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• CH4RLTON said:
    I mean I get why people are starting to panick given what happened last season, but Thomas and Gallen have both come out and said there main aim is to not end up in that position again, do you really think they would say that if there was any chance of it happening? I’d be amazed if we don’t sign at least 5 players before the start of the season them probably another 6/7 before the end of the window including loans
    Commenting on a potentially difficult situation isn’t panicking - it’s commenting on a potentially difficult situation. Are we all supposed to engage in some sort of kings new clothes doublethink?
  • God strewth, it absolutely amazes me how people on here with different opinions can get into ongoing verbal joust after verbal joust debating the minutiae of each others posts. If someone currently feels less positive than you regarding the likelihood of there being good recruitment for the coming season that doesn't mean they are bedwetters or miserable, it simply means they have a different opinion (and of course vice versa if someone is more optimistic).

Golfie got absolute pelters on here last summer for being downbeat regarding the player acquisitions and the likely impact on getting out of League 1. Well hello, he was absolutely bang on the money. Yes, there is always a chance some good players will come in on loan at the very end of the window, but that is a bit of a lottery if you have already played your first half a dozen games or so and not started well.

Not that anyone cares what I think, but I will tell you anyway.

This will be my 60th season supporting the club. I reckon that during that period the club has played around 12 seasons in the top tier (so ~20%). For the remaining 80%, I guess the majority of seasons we have ended up either in the bottom half of the second tier or been playing in the third tier. So right off the bat I have fairly low expectations of what the club will deliver (maybe 6 promotions over all those years?), hardly any good cup runs and 3 appearances at Wembley (1 Full Members Cup and 2 Playoff Finals)

Historically, we are a selling club like the majority of others. Owners come and go, but with the exception of one or two, they will invariably make ambitious pronouncements about the coming season or how much better than it will be than the prior season. Well they need to sell season tickets, so they would obviously say that.

Like many other owners, TS tends to get a little carried away with some of his statements - I am sure he admitted that he can sometimes be too "enthusiastic" in his predictions but is his too old to change his ways. In his latest interview he said mistakes were made last summer and things will be different this year. He also said too many of the youngsters had to be utilised in pre-season games, when in theory a team is meant to be gelling and they certainly filled a large number of slots on the bench in early league games.

I agree it is too early to say recruitment won't be better and the start of the season will be no better than last year. I truly hope things do turn out better. However, it is equally not unreasonable for someone to reserve judgement, without being called a bedwetter or miserable. Based on my 60 seasons of supporting the club, a really good season comes around infrequently, so I try to temper my expectations and as of today I see no reason to feel any more optimistic about the forthcoming season than I did this time last year. Others may not like that and feel more optimistic. However, whilst I respect your opinion, I think the stats are on my side.

So, whilst this is and always will be my club, I contend again that it is not unreasonable to adopt the so-called mantra of the State of Missouri. "Show me". And believe me, if Charlton do show me, no one will be happier than me.

Thank you.  Perfectly put.
  • edited June 2022
    Everything

The Two Types of Salt Your Kitchen Needs  GQ

• CH4RLTON said:
    IAgree said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    I mean I get why people are starting to panick given what happened last season, but Thomas and Gallen have both come out and said there main aim is to not end up in that position again, do you really think they would say that if there was any chance of it happening? I’d be amazed if we don’t sign at least 5 players before the start of the season them probably another 6/7 before the end of the window including loans
    Commenting on a potentially difficult situation isn’t panicking - it’s commenting on a potentially difficult situation. Are we all supposed to engage in some sort of kings new clothes doublethink?
    True I suppose but I’m a glass of full kind of guy and despite last season being such a debacle and Thomas having a lot of previous at leaving things too late , I remain hopeful by the notion of he wants the best for the club
    He definitely wants best for the club.

• Three signings next week and we can all agree we are on track for a cracking season.

It is tomorrow that training starts.
    We leave for Spain on Saturday.
  • This Portsmouth full back sounds solid and dependable, the sort of signing which usually works out well for us 
  • edited June 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Three signings next week and we can all agree we are on track for a cracking season.

Depends who the 3 are doesn't it?

If its Gunter, Watson and Souare I think we would all agree we won't be on for a cracking season.

Even if it's 3 cracking signings it still depends if we back it up or not.  We started last seasons business well enough. 

I wish I could be as blindy optimistic as you. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Three signings next week and we can all agree we are on track for a cracking season.

Does it matter if the signings are good players or is it as long as we sign any old three? 
  • Sponsored links:

• How many first team players does the club have at the moment. 
  • msomerton said:
    How many first team players does the club have at the moment. 
    17, including the 2 keepers. 
  • Let’s all go to beddy byes. 

I’ve got a feeling we’re gonna wake up to 7 new signings in the morning.
  • msomerton said:

MacGillivray
    Maynard-Brewer
    Lavelle
    Inniss
    Clare
    Blackett-Taylor
    Dobson
    Forster-Caskey
    Fraser
    Gilbey
    Morgan
    Jaiyesimi
    Kirk
    Aneke
    Stockley
    Davison
  • supaclive said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    IAgree said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    True I suppose but I’m a glass of full kind of guy and despite last season being such a debacle and Thomas having a lot of previous at leaving things too late , I remain hopeful by the notion of he wants the best for the club
    He definitely wants best for the club.

George? Is this a rumour?
  • msomerton said:

MacGillivray
    Maynard-Brewer
    Lavelle
    Inniss
    Clare
    Blackett-Taylor
    Dobson
    Forster-Caskey
    Fraser
    Gilbey
    Morgan
    Jaiyesimi
    Kirk
    Aneke
    Stockley
    Davison
    So the team is probably something like:

Macgillivray
    Clare Lavelle Inniss Forster-Caskey 
    Dobson Fraser Morgan
    Blackett-Taylor Stockley Kirk

Maynard-Brewer, Gilbey, Aneke, Davison and some kids on the bench as it stands 
  • IAgree said:
    cfgs said:
    Richard J said:
    I don't get the over reaction from some about Tucker.I see that Mkd have sold Harry Darling so he will likely be a replacement for him. I guess that is moneyball in action.

With Inniss, Lavelle and Deji a RCB is not a priority especially if we are going to play a flat back four.

Let's see what this week brings.
    My guess is pain, angst, bedwetting and people moaning when we do start signing people.  Somebody is always unhappy.  I don't fixate on football the way I used to so I will wait and judge our business after they have had time to settle in. 
    It’s not bedwetting & moaning it’s a realistic concern about if we sign good enough players early enough. The recruitment last summer was a debacle, the recruitment of the manager was chaotic and took far far to long and now there is no substantive progress in terms recruitment of players. 

High press, low press, chest press it’s all academic without a squad!
    And yet we never go into the first game of the season unable to field a proper team why should next season be any different?
    I’m assuming your differentiating between ’proper’ to mean enough players and ‘good’?
    I will accept we've gone into recent seasons still needing a bit more quality but the argument here seems to be we need players now because we don't have a squad.

The argument is wether the squad is full of injury prone journeymen and players just past their best, yes they fill up the squad but don’t win games, there’s obviously a difference.
    I think a lot of people are again waiting to see if TS delivers on another of his promises: that lessons were learnt last season and this one will be different. I feel he’s trying to be canny by always promising things in the future thereby sidestepping ’now’, whereas in football it’s now that matters and the future can take care of itself.
    Could be a long wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    supaclive said:
    I'm relaxed
    I am just unconvinced we've learnt from previous mistakes
    You know more than me
    I still want to see some actual results
    That is all

We all want to see results, we all want the recruitment to go well and players to come in the sooner the better. I think we just need to be realistic and all show the understanding that there are many factors to a single deal, let alone multiple deals we will be working on.

We also all need to recognise that just because there may not be loads of rumours does not mean they’re not working round the clock to get players in. No doubt Gallen would be making over 100 phone calls a day, even now.

Everyone is back from tomorrow and Sandgaard remains in the country. I am confident there will be movement this week. 
    I don't doubt there will be some movement.

• Just in from the pub. It seems I've missed a lively exchange of views.

Just for context, by this time last year we'd signed Jayden Stockley. That's it!

Far too early to make any conclusions on the success or otherwise of this transfer window yet for me, but I fully understand the anxiety of those waiting to see evidence of improvement who feel frustrated, the players being back in for pre season tomorrow and off to Spain Saturday.

As I'm expecting 2 to 3 signings this week to put us ahead of where we were at the same stage last year, my bigger concern is  Garner's two coaches, who were reportedly coming with him once compensation was agreed. I don't know if he's requested them or not, but if he has, TS should go all out to get them imo.
  • I think once swindon announce there new manager the assistant and coach will be free to come join up with BG if that is what he and us want im sure 
  • The summer of 2019 is an example of a relatively decent early part of the transfer window, bringing in Chuks, Bonne, Lockyer and Purrington in either just before we went away or arriving to join us there, plus having Williams training with us as well.

Or back in 2017, Fosu, Clarke and Marshall all arrived early.
  • Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Johnson was third in Pompeys POTY 2020/2021, although the winner is criticised regularly on here. Johnson was surprisingly frozen out by Cowley and did ok at Fleetwood. Not one that jumps out as a great signing but can’t imagine he’s worse than Matthews or Gunter. 
    We’ve got to get out of this mindset of can’t be worse than.  That’s not a dig mate.  The bar was mediocre with Matthews and Gunter.  Remember when the bar was high with Wiggins, Solly back in the day, and then Dijksteel 

this guy may be good enough; but a season on loan at Fleetwood and 4 solid seasons in League One as Sage said.  It’s hard to get excited.  
    Our mind set, what ever it, has no actual influence on anything does it?
    Nope, and none of us have any influence on anything transfers, but what’s wrong with saying you don’t agree the ‘can’t be worse than’ comment.  As I said, not a dig in anyway and more a general comment about the quality I think we need.  Cafcfan1990 even said ‘not one that jumps out as a great signing’, and there were other comments about solid league one and ‘sensible not spectacular’ - the mindset comment is just something I’ve interpreted in general on here over the few years.  I think there has been a trend toward people thinking so and so will come good, or if so and so had better players around him, we/they would be right up there.

I just can’t see it.  At the moment, I see a very mediocre team, and so far this summer (correct or incorrect) the players we’ve been linked with on here make me think next season could be just as poor.  A right back who got farmed out on loan to Fleetwood last season and has had 4 solid seasons just doesn’t get the pulse racing 

What type of full back would get the pulse racing? A “big” name like Gunter? An inexperienced youngster dropping down from a Prem club wouldn’t either. No idea if Johnson is good enough for where we want to be but there can’t be many full backs out there that would be exciting signings. The wing back at Forest Green went to the Championship, most stand out L1/L2 youngsters will given the restrictions on foreign players.
    Just someone who hasn’t had 4 solid seasons at League One and spent the last season at Fleetwood who finished lower than us.  To be fair, I don’t know what exciting looks like anymore, so it could be me.  But cumulatively, with just under 6 weeks to go until the start of the season, the 14 that make up the current squad, reading of Bostock, Marquis, this chap and the other scraps I’ve picked up on here, plus the transfer policy of the last 2 seasons, it’s hard to see it being turned around at the moment.

I might be wanting something that doesn’t exist and being too negative, but just seems like a slog at the moment.  I think Garner’s a decent appointment, but I think the gulf between what we have and the quality we need is big.  Bigger than the names mentioned
    Before we signed them Hollands, Stephens, Taylor (M) and Wiggins would have been greatful for 4 solid seasons in league 1.  They had all had at least one year in league 2 and even lower.

Each player needs to judged on how good they actually are now.  Other wise we end up in the pardox of not being actually able to sign anyone.

Don't want league 1 players
    Don't want players on the way down
    Don't want other clubs rejects

Who exactly should a mid table league 1 club be signing?

Is our aim to be a mid table league one club?
    We already are & just treading water. I don't see us bringing in the quality needed to get us out of this division while the sandgaards are pulling the strings. It's all very well erecting new buildings on Sparrows Lane etc maybe we should concentrate first of all on building a squad capable of getting us out of this division. The rest will follow.
  • https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/cowley-callum-johnson-portsmouth-transfer-5845169

Danny Cowley explains why Callum Johnson was allowed to leave Portsmouth in loan transfer

Portsmouth defender Callum Johnson surprisingly left Fratton Park on loan on Friday afternoon to join League One rivals Fleetwood Town on a season-long move and Danny Cowley has explained why

Portsmouth boss Danny Cowley admitted that he did not want to lose defender Callum Johnson on loan, whilst adding he is now looking for a right-sided defender before the transfer window shuts. 

The defender left Fratton Park on Friday afternoon to join League One rivals Fleetwood Town on a season-long loan deal, despite being a mainstay and impressing during his 2020/21 debut campaign with the club.

Johnson's switch has meant that the Blues only have one senior right-back at present, with the Blues wanting to develop Haji Mnoga in a central position.

Cowley admitted that because of Johnson's ability, it was easier to move him out in order to create funds ahead of making further signings.

"Callum wasn't one we particularly wanted to lose, but with all due respect some players have more of a market than others," explained Cowley.

"We allowed Callum to go out creates some funds to bring one in, maybe one and a half.

"We are trying to improve our squad and to try and find a balance, and sometimes you have to make those decisions that you don't always want to make."

The defender was not par of the Fleetwood squad for their trip to Plymouth Argyle, but his exit does create a gap in the Blues' squad.

And whilst Cowley has expressed his desire to sign an attacking player, he also admitted that Pompey need to sign another right-back in order to challenge at the top end of the table. 

"We now also need to add a right-back and that could play at right-sided centre half in an ideal world, but that might be one that financially is a little bit cheaper for us.," added Cowley.

Only just caught up with this thread.

But that was one of the most bizarre & bullshit excuses ever. Talk about word salad.
  • Chunes said:
    Seems to be a real lack of talent available compared to previous seasons
    Talent is always available, you just usually have to pay for it. If you simply rely on freebies & loans you'll probably not end up that successful. 
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I love how people are loosing their shit because of a month old rumour that Marquis had passed a medical and was going to sign and that is a signal of our intent.

Is there a single credible source of it?
    Nobody (hardly anybody) is losing their shit.  This again is what I'm saying.  Anybody that has reservations about things becomes a subject of ridicule or mirth.

WHEN things change and the club SHOWS it's learnt from its mistakes, rather than just saying it has, I'll be on board.

Your posts over the last page or two don’t come across as just having reservations. Closer to actively campaigning against the club and it’s recruitment process.

What about Callum Johnson has provoked such a strong reaction? You say it’s only having reservations but your posts do not read that way. You or I have absolutely no idea how good he may or may not be unless he pulls on the shirt. Why not reserve judgement until then?

What are you expecting and what would realistically satisfy your expectations?
    Even though I say I remain unconvinced that we haven't learnt from our mistakes and nothing shows me we have yet.

And that when we do, I'll be on board?

We are 14 players less than last season
    We had a list of active targets when Garner joined
    We started pre season last week 
    We go to Spain this week

I repeat.  Until the club actually SHOWS it has learnt from previous mistakes, I remain unconvinced.

Callum Johnson may well be a decent addition.  He'd be better than what currently we have as a natural right back - nothing.

We are told we have a top 3 wage bill.  I haven't seen that replicated on the pitch.

I hope this year is different.

Right now I don't believe it will be.

What is so hard to understand?  You don't need to agree with me, but I fail to see why anybody blindly thinks it is going to change.

You can believe/hope it does.

Right now, NOTHING has.

That is all.

Give this man a promote. Says what I've been thinking & holding my tongue from saying it on here. 
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    Seems to be a real lack of talent available compared to previous seasons
    Talent is always available, you just usually have to pay for it. If you simply rely on freebies & loans you'll probably not end up that successful. 
    We're lucky that TS does pay transfer fees for players then, when we've only relied on frees in the past. My point was that the freebie market used to be pretty good every year, but there aren't many standouts available this season.