Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Johnson was third in Pompeys POTY 2020/2021, although the winner is criticised regularly on here. Johnson was surprisingly frozen out by Cowley and did ok at Fleetwood. Not one that jumps out as a great signing but can’t imagine he’s worse than Matthews or Gunter. 
    We’ve got to get out of this mindset of can’t be worse than.  That’s not a dig mate.  The bar was mediocre with Matthews and Gunter.  Remember when the bar was high with Wiggins, Solly back in the day, and then Dijksteel 

this guy may be good enough; but a season on loan at Fleetwood and 4 solid seasons in League One as Sage said.  It’s hard to get excited.  
    Our mind set, what ever it, has no actual influence on anything does it?
    Nope, and none of us have any influence on anything transfers, but what’s wrong with saying you don’t agree the ‘can’t be worse than’ comment.  As I said, not a dig in anyway and more a general comment about the quality I think we need.  Cafcfan1990 even said ‘not one that jumps out as a great signing’, and there were other comments about solid league one and ‘sensible not spectacular’ - the mindset comment is just something I’ve interpreted in general on here over the few years.  I think there has been a trend toward people thinking so and so will come good, or if so and so had better players around him, we/they would be right up there.

I just can’t see it.  At the moment, I see a very mediocre team, and so far this summer (correct or incorrect) the players we’ve been linked with on here make me think next season could be just as poor.  A right back who got farmed out on loan to Fleetwood last season and has had 4 solid seasons just doesn’t get the pulse racing 

What type of full back would get the pulse racing? A “big” name like Gunter? An inexperienced youngster dropping down from a Prem club wouldn’t either. No idea if Johnson is good enough for where we want to be but there can’t be many full backs out there that would be exciting signings. The wing back at Forest Green went to the Championship, most stand out L1/L2 youngsters will given the restrictions on foreign players.
    Just someone who hasn’t had 4 solid seasons at League One and spent the last season at Fleetwood who finished lower than us.  To be fair, I don’t know what exciting looks like anymore, so it could be me.  But cumulatively, with just under 6 weeks to go until the start of the season, the 14 that make up the current squad, reading of Bostock, Marquis, this chap and the other scraps I’ve picked up on here, plus the transfer policy of the last 2 seasons, it’s hard to see it being turned around at the moment.

I might be wanting something that doesn’t exist and being too negative, but just seems like a slog at the moment.  I think Garner’s a decent appointment, but I think the gulf between what we have and the quality we need is big.  Bigger than the names mentioned
    Before we signed them Hollands, Stephens, Taylor (M) and Wiggins would have been greatful for 4 solid seasons in league 1.  They had all had at least one year in league 2 and even lower.

Each player needs to judged on how good they actually are now.  Other wise we end up in the pardox of not being actually able to sign anyone.

Don't want league 1 players
    Don't want players on the way down
    Don't want other clubs rejects

Who exactly should a mid table league 1 club be signing?

In my opinion, none of the players we’ve been linked with on here.  

Can’t remember what my thoughts were in relation to the above, it was so long ago and you make a good point that some of them were from league 2 and lower.  That being 11 years ago and we were only coming into our third season in League One, with Powell in charge, I was probably a lot more positive.  Fast forward the clock 11 years, the hair is getting more grey, League One has been pretty much our home during the majority year of what, 14 years now, and I see other league One stalwarts like Marquis and this chap being linked (true or untrue) - it doesn’t read great.  

As to who we should be signing, I would hope there is rumour of a rated Prem youngster perhaps or someone who’s just had a very decent season.  But as you say, we’re a mid table league one team.  Maybe we just aren’t able to get those sorts of players at the moment
  • edited June 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Johnson was third in Pompeys POTY 2020/2021, although the winner is criticised regularly on here. Johnson was surprisingly frozen out by Cowley and did ok at Fleetwood. Not one that jumps out as a great signing but can’t imagine he’s worse than Matthews or Gunter. 
    We’ve got to get out of this mindset of can’t be worse than.  That’s not a dig mate.  The bar was mediocre with Matthews and Gunter.  Remember when the bar was high with Wiggins, Solly back in the day, and then Dijksteel 

this guy may be good enough; but a season on loan at Fleetwood and 4 solid seasons in League One as Sage said.  It’s hard to get excited.  
    Nope, and none of us have any influence on anything transfers, but what’s wrong with saying you don’t agree the ‘can’t be worse than’ comment.  As I said, not a dig in anyway and more a general comment about the quality I think we need.  Cafcfan1990 even said ‘not one that jumps out as a great signing’, and there were other comments about solid league one and ‘sensible not spectacular’ - the mindset comment is just something I’ve interpreted in general on here over the few years.  I think there has been a trend toward people thinking so and so will come good, or if so and so had better players around him, we/they would be right up there.

I just can’t see it.  At the moment, I see a very mediocre team, and so far this summer (correct or incorrect) the players we’ve been linked with on here make me think next season could be just as poor.  A right back who got farmed out on loan to Fleetwood last season and has had 4 solid seasons just doesn’t get the pulse racing 

What type of full back would get the pulse racing? A “big” name like Gunter? An inexperienced youngster dropping down from a Prem club wouldn’t either. No idea if Johnson is good enough for where we want to be but there can’t be many full backs out there that would be exciting signings. The wing back at Forest Green went to the Championship, most stand out L1/L2 youngsters will given the restrictions on foreign players.
    Not every signing needs to be "exciting" - yes we do need some real talismanic players to come in but not every single player we sign is going to be a spectacular one.

This is actually the kind of signing that I'd say shows the (potential) good side of a black box, analytics approach. He's 25 but plenty of experience, he could still push on a level or maybe he's peaked but probably not super expensive gamble and will get the job done.

Garner's claim to fame is how he managed to turn a makeshift, understrength squad into promo contenders (albeit a league down from us) but he didn't have a squad full of stars. Powell likewise knew that squad unity and character mattered just as much as quality and skill.

If EVERY signing turns out to be steady Eddie "solid pros" then yes I will start to be concerned. But I fully expect there to be at least a few more of that type to complement what I hope are more ambitious and exciting signings (the likes of McKirdy - hypothetically.)
    Here's my hope for recruitment:
    Sign just enough fitting players to start the season and up to 1 September.
    Start/continue following potential remaining targets from 30 July to asses their match fitness and style in actual current season league matches, with their live manager and team mates.
    Asses how Charlton is performing with its players and style in real league, competitive matches.
    By mid to late August we'll have as good an idea as we'll ever have if one or more target players are a good fit for the current season/team.

Then do our damnedest to get them.
  • edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Just someone who hasn’t had 4 solid seasons at League One and spent the last season at Fleetwood who finished lower than us.  To be fair, I don’t know what exciting looks like anymore, so it could be me.  But cumulatively, with just under 6 weeks to go until the start of the season, the 14 that make up the current squad, reading of Bostock, Marquis, this chap and the other scraps I’ve picked up on here, plus the transfer policy of the last 2 seasons, it’s hard to see it being turned around at the moment.

I might be wanting something that doesn’t exist and being too negative, but just seems like a slog at the moment.  I think Garner’s a decent appointment, but I think the gulf between what we have and the quality we need is big.  Bigger than the names mentioned
    Before we signed them Hollands, Stephens, Taylor (M) and Wiggins would have been greatful for 4 solid seasons in league 1.  They had all had at least one year in league 2 and even lower.

Each player needs to judged on how good they actually are now.  Other wise we end up in the pardox of not being actually able to sign anyone.

With a top 3 budget, top 3 players!
    Wigan were bloody down the bottom the season before last....
    We can't make excuses that we're crap for being crap!
    Otherwise we may as well give up.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    IAgree said:
    cfgs said:
    Richard J said:
    I don't get the over reaction from some about Tucker.I see that Mkd have sold Harry Darling so he will likely be a replacement for him. I guess that is moneyball in action.

With Inniss, Lavelle and Deji a RCB is not a priority especially if we are going to play a flat back four.

Let's see what this week brings.
    My guess is pain, angst, bedwetting and people moaning when we do start signing people.  Somebody is always unhappy.  I don't fixate on football the way I used to so I will wait and judge our business after they have had time to settle in. 
    It’s not bedwetting & moaning it’s a realistic concern about if we sign good enough players early enough. The recruitment last summer was a debacle, the recruitment of the manager was chaotic and took far far to long and now there is no substantive progress in terms recruitment of players. 

High press, low press, chest press it’s all academic without a squad!
    And yet we never go into the first game of the season unable to field a proper team why should next season be any different?
    I’m assuming your differentiating between ’proper’ to mean enough players and ‘good’?
    I will accept we've gone into recent seasons still needing a bit more quality but the argument here seems to be we need players now because we don't have a squad.

We will have a squad for the opening day, we never fail to so I don't understand the panic which is my point.

Even the most extreme recent example Sunderland away looking back at that starting line up I think most of that starting line up played most of the season for us.

I'll be amazed if come opening day we have to field a load of kids who aren't ready to play. We'll probably still need 1 or 2 more players as always and just like everyone else.
    So a bench for the opening game of last season of Ghandor, Clayton, Deji,  Davison, Harness was our squad ready last season?
    No and it wasn't the point I was making if the subs bench was ready or not, it clearly wasn't and I'd be surprised if it's ready this season but we still put out a first team strength team who started the game that was more my point even if I didn't word it right. My main point is whoever we play first game we always have a first team strength team on the pitch even if it's nowhere near ready now, lack of players right now isn't going to worry me now, I'll worry about it first game when the first team is picked because whatever the circumstances whoever the owners it's something we always manage to do.
    Delusional if you think last season start was anything other than a total disaster which we just about dug our way out of.
    In 6 weeks time when the season starts we need to be way ahead of where we were a year ago to have any confidence we will have a better season.
    No sign of that yet at all.
  • supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

And half the players Wigan signed were "not good enough" for us last summer, if you remember last summers thread.  They signed the exact opposite of what seemly everyone on here wants. 

The point is there is no profile of what will or won't be a good signing.  We have had shit ones of every type of player.

POTYs from other clubs, old players, young players, players on the way up, players on the way down.  There are good and bad of each of them.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

And half the players Wigan signed were "not good enough" for us last summer, if you remember last summers thread.  They signed the exact opposite of what seemly everyone on here wants. 

The point is there is no profile of what will or won't be a good signing.  We have had shit ones of every type of player.

POTYs from other clubs, old players, young players, players on the way up, players on the way down.  There are good and bad of each of them.
    And we expect it to change this season because?
  • supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

And we expect it to change this season because?
    I never said I expect it to change.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Show Me State
    That's the one. In plain English "Actions speak louder than words" or "Talk is cheap".

I am very pleased TS recognises last summer's mistakes on recruitment and the impact that had in terms of a poor start to the season. Many of you will remember Golfie received a great deal of stick on here for calling this out before the season started. TS says those mistakes will not be repeated. So............
  • edited June 2022
  • We are currently recruiting players (apparently) who were all loaned out by their own clubs last season.

Either we're brilliant at spotting a bargain, or.....
  • Wouldn’t mind CJ at all, for the simple fact he can play 90 minutes consistently over the course of a season. If a steady freebie right back in allows funds to be spent elsewhere then I’m all for it.
    Especially as we need to bring in two
  • Wouldn’t mind CJ at all, for the simple fact he can play 90 minutes consistently over the course of a season. If a steady freebie right back in allows funds to be spent elsewhere then I’m all for it.
    Especially as we need to bring in two
    Can see Clare being used to cover right back rather than spend money bringing in two. Johnson’s career suggests he’d be a first choice rather than cover like when we brought in Evina.
  • I don’t know what pleases people.

Maybe we should sign Wales’s most capped player or another Welsh International who once was credited with marking Messi as an out of position Left Back and drew great plaudits for his performance?

oh I thought not.

If this is true then welcome Connor.
  • supaclive said:
    We are currently recruiting players (apparently) who were all loaned out by their own clubs last season.

As was Dobson. So let's not assume that Charlton are the original only club to make bad/odd decisions about players.
  • cafc4life said:
    Pete Burns - 55 followers, new to Twitter as of last month. Screams of fake account to me.
    You spin me right round baby, right round like a record baby, right  round, round round.
  • thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:
    We are currently recruiting players (apparently) who were all loaned out by their own clubs last season.

As was Dobson. So let's not assume that Charlton are the original only club to make bad/odd decisions about players.
    We are continuing on from where we left off last year.

I see NO change to our decision making yet.

Consistent in this view 
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Jonny Williams signing tomorrow according to Facebook

Lol I hope this is only a joke 
  • Williams lives in Tonbridge apparently but it’s known how much Garner loves him. 
  • Williams lives in Tonbridge apparently but it’s known how much Garner loves him. 
    Born in Pembury, as was Garner, must be happening.
  • supaclive said:we
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Consistent in this view 
    We are (rumoured to be) signing a player who was loaned out by their parent club last season. The last time we did that, the player turned out to be our player of the year.

Why WOULDN'T we do it again?
  • supaclive said:

It’s just one player isn’t it?
    Marquis too .....
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Scoham said:

Gonna say it now, that’s just a random blow with a bald head/beard! 

Not him
  • supaclive said:
    thenewbie said:
    supaclive said:

Consistent in this view 
      But many will say,chill. There's plenty of time and TS knows what he's doing.

Problem being, past actions have shown he clearly doesn't..
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Scoham said:

I don't think that's Williams.