Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/cowley-callum-johnson-portsmouth-transfer-5845169

Danny Cowley explains why Callum Johnson was allowed to leave Portsmouth in loan transfer

Portsmouth defender Callum Johnson surprisingly left Fratton Park on loan on Friday afternoon to join League One rivals Fleetwood Town on a season-long move and Danny Cowley has explained why

Portsmouth boss Danny Cowley admitted that he did not want to lose defender Callum Johnson on loan, whilst adding he is now looking for a right-sided defender before the transfer window shuts. 

The defender left Fratton Park on Friday afternoon to join League One rivals Fleetwood Town on a season-long loan deal, despite being a mainstay and impressing during his 2020/21 debut campaign with the club.

Johnson's switch has meant that the Blues only have one senior right-back at present, with the Blues wanting to develop Haji Mnoga in a central position.

Cowley admitted that because of Johnson's ability, it was easier to move him out in order to create funds ahead of making further signings.

"Callum wasn't one we particularly wanted to lose, but with all due respect some players have more of a market than others," explained Cowley.

"We allowed Callum to go out creates some funds to bring one in, maybe one and a half.

"We are trying to improve our squad and to try and find a balance, and sometimes you have to make those decisions that you don't always want to make."

The defender was not par of the Fleetwood squad for their trip to Plymouth Argyle, but his exit does create a gap in the Blues' squad.

And whilst Cowley has expressed his desire to sign an attacking player, he also admitted that Pompey need to sign another right-back in order to challenge at the top end of the table. 

"We now also need to add a right-back and that could play at right-sided centre half in an ideal world, but that might be one that financially is a little bit cheaper for us.," added Cowley.

• @Callumcafc are you saying they are listed in order of priority? 
  • Calls us ‘AFC’ as well which is irritating. 😤
  • https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/cowley-callum-johnson-portsmouth-transfer-5845169

Danny Cowley explains why Callum Johnson was allowed to leave Portsmouth in loan transfer

Portsmouth defender Callum Johnson surprisingly left Fratton Park on loan on Friday afternoon to join League One rivals Fleetwood Town on a season-long move and Danny Cowley has explained why

Portsmouth boss Danny Cowley admitted that he did not want to lose defender Callum Johnson on loan, whilst adding he is now looking for a right-sided defender before the transfer window shuts. 

The defender left Fratton Park on Friday afternoon to join League One rivals Fleetwood Town on a season-long loan deal, despite being a mainstay and impressing during his 2020/21 debut campaign with the club.

Johnson's switch has meant that the Blues only have one senior right-back at present, with the Blues wanting to develop Haji Mnoga in a central position.

Cowley admitted that because of Johnson's ability, it was easier to move him out in order to create funds ahead of making further signings.

"Callum wasn't one we particularly wanted to lose, but with all due respect some players have more of a market than others," explained Cowley.

"We allowed Callum to go out creates some funds to bring one in, maybe one and a half.

"We are trying to improve our squad and to try and find a balance, and sometimes you have to make those decisions that you don't always want to make."

The defender was not par of the Fleetwood squad for their trip to Plymouth Argyle, but his exit does create a gap in the Blues' squad.

And whilst Cowley has expressed his desire to sign an attacking player, he also admitted that Pompey need to sign another right-back in order to challenge at the top end of the table. 

"We now also need to add a right-back and that could play at right-sided centre half in an ideal world, but that might be one that financially is a little bit cheaper for us.," added Cowley.

So they let a good player go as he would generate the funds to get a replacement in for him, but they haven't got one lined up.  Makes as much sense as our recruitment.
  • cfgs said:
    https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/cowley-callum-johnson-portsmouth-transfer-5845169

So they let a good player go as he would generate the funds to get a replacement in for him, but they haven't got one lined up.  Makes as much sense as our recruitment.
    They ended up replacing him with Mahlon Romeo on loan from Millwall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Johnson also has the same management team as some of our current and ex players 
  • mart77 said:
    Johnson also has the same management team as some of our current and ex players 
    The same agent as Lyle Taylor and Barry Bannan as well......
  • On squad size, we currently have 16 first team players, including Brewer & Davison. Of those only 2 are orthodox defenders, both of whom were injury hit last term.

How many players can we name in our squad for the 2022/23 season, applying EFL restrictions, and how many can we sign before we have to shift others out first.

It's not a trick question. I genuinely don't know and would like to. LoL if you like, but can anyone actually tell me?
  • Sage said:
    Never heard of him personally but having looked, he has played basically 4 full seasons at League One, mainly as a right back. 2 years at Accrington Stanley, one season at Portsmouth, and one year on loan at Fleetwood. Rarely misses a game and usually plays 90 minutes but doesn’t have many assist, although he did score 4 times last season. Seems a solid right back from the very, very little information I’ve put together.
    Sounds like he'd fit the "sensible but not spectacular" criteria. Solid defense at RB and can pitch in at CB if needed (which given our record he probably will at some point.)

Not a lot of fans either Charlton or otherwise would look at it and think "wow that's a statement signing" but if you are looking to build a solid squad then we need these as well as the big, showpiece signings.
  • Pete Burns - 55 followers, new to Twitter as of last month. Screams of fake account to me.
  • Obviously all hypothetical, but he seems to me to be a player suited to right back or perhaps being a ball playing right sided centre back of a 3? A bit like Clare was last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    On squad size, we currently have 16 first team players, including Brewer & Davison. Of those only 2 are orthodox defenders, both of whom were injury hit last term.

How many players can we name in our squad for the 2022/23 season, applying EFL restrictions, and how many can we sign before we have to shift others out first.

It's not a trick question. I genuinely don't know and would like to. LoL if you like, but can anyone actually tell me?
    5 I think is the answer.

Keepers don't count.  The limit has decreased by 1.

3 of the loans were "under age" so are irrelevant.  The places of the other loans are currently taken by Kirk and Davison returning and Morgan "coming of age".

We have lost Watson, Souare, Gunter, Matthews , Pearce and Washington and can replace all bar 1 and remain at the limit.  I think.
  • I’d be surprised if Garner was keen on a defensive fullback.

• I would take it with a big pile of salt.
  • The Show Me State
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I would take it with a big pile of salt.
    People are not taking it from him, callum has just started to follow the club and Thomas abit funny from someone if there not possibly signing 
  • Anything that starts “it’s my understanding” tends to be drivel.  It’s a ridiculous phrase. 
  • Johnson was third in Pompeys POTY 2020/2021, although the winner is criticised regularly on here. Johnson was surprisingly frozen out by Cowley and did ok at Fleetwood. Not one that jumps out as a great signing but can’t imagine he’s worse than Matthews or Gunter. 
    We’ve got to get out of this mindset of can’t be worse than.  That’s not a dig mate.  The bar was mediocre with Matthews and Gunter.  Remember when the bar was high with Wiggins, Solly back in the day, and then Dijksteel 

this guy may be good enough; but a season on loan at Fleetwood and 4 solid seasons in League One as Sage said.  It’s hard to get excited.  
  • edited June 2022
    FAVADDICK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I would take it with a big pile of salt.
    People are not taking it from him, callum has just started to follow the club and Thomas abit funny from someone if there not possibly signing 
    Maybe we are doing all our negotiations on social media and he had to follow back to get a DM. :wink:

I was just pointing out Pete Burns is a joke account before anyone got overly excited/outraged.