Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• wmcf123 said:
    Anything that starts “it’s my understanding” tends to be drivel.  It’s a ridiculous phrase. 
    Post truth society, state anything as fact just distance yourself from it at the same time.

Innit.
  • cabbles said:
    Johnson was third in Pompeys POTY 2020/2021, although the winner is criticised regularly on here. Johnson was surprisingly frozen out by Cowley and did ok at Fleetwood. Not one that jumps out as a great signing but can’t imagine he’s worse than Matthews or Gunter. 
    We’ve got to get out of this mindset of can’t be worse than.  That’s not a dig mate.  The bar was mediocre with Matthews and Gunter.  Remember when the bar was high with Wiggins, Solly back in the day, and then Dijksteel 

this guy may be good enough; but a season on loan at Fleetwood and 4 solid seasons in League One as Sage said.  It’s hard to get excited.  
    Our mind set, what ever it, has no actual influence on anything does it?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    swordfish said:
    On squad size, we currently have 16 first team players, including Brewer & Davison. Of those only 2 are orthodox defenders, both of whom were injury hit last term.

How many players can we name in our squad for the 2022/23 season, applying EFL restrictions, and how many can we sign before we have to shift others out first.

It's not a trick question. I genuinely don't know and would like to. LoL if you like, but can anyone actually tell me?
    5 I think is the answer.

Keepers don't count.  The limit has decreased by 1.

3 of the loans were "under age" so are irrelevant.  The places of the other loans are currently taken by Kirk and Davison returning and Morgan "coming of age".

We have lost Watson, Souare, Gunter, Matthews , Pearce and Washington and can replace all bar 1 and remain at the limit.  I think.
    Thanks. So up to 5 plus any new loanees.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    Johnson was third in Pompeys POTY 2020/2021, although the winner is criticised regularly on here. Johnson was surprisingly frozen out by Cowley and did ok at Fleetwood. Not one that jumps out as a great signing but can’t imagine he’s worse than Matthews or Gunter. 
    We’ve got to get out of this mindset of can’t be worse than.  That’s not a dig mate.  The bar was mediocre with Matthews and Gunter.  Remember when the bar was high with Wiggins, Solly back in the day, and then Dijksteel 

this guy may be good enough; but a season on loan at Fleetwood and 4 solid seasons in League One as Sage said.  It’s hard to get excited.  
    Nope, and none of us have any influence on anything transfers, but what’s wrong with saying you don’t agree the ‘can’t be worse than’ comment.  As I said, not a dig in anyway and more a general comment about the quality I think we need.  Cafcfan1990 even said ‘not one that jumps out as a great signing’, and there were other comments about solid league one and ‘sensible not spectacular’ - the mindset comment is just something I’ve interpreted in general on here over the few years.  I think there has been a trend toward people thinking so and so will come good, or if so and so had better players around him, we/they would be right up there.

I just can’t see it.  At the moment, I see a very mediocre team, and so far this summer (correct or incorrect) the players we’ve been linked with on here make me think next season could be just as poor.  A right back who got farmed out on loan to Fleetwood last season and has had 4 solid seasons just doesn’t get the pulse racing 

• cfgs said:
    That Pete Burns account is just repeating what he reads and then stating as what he has been told by his ITK contacts.  Bit like the odd poster on here
    Spot on. That tweet came AFTER it was noticed by @charlton_hero that the player was following CAFC Twitter accounts.

This fake journo account is one of many that grabs a rumour from elsewhere, slaps a “my contacts say” on it and pretends their source is someone legit.
  • edited June 2022
    I’d be surprised if Garner was keen on a defensive fullback.
    Take a look at the clips from the previous page. He gets forward a lot more than Matthews or Gunter ever did.

Think the fact he *can* play centre back is a bit of a red herring in this instance.
  • Rumour from the Charlton Life Normandy coach is that we will be at Calais soon ...
  • That Pete Burns .. He spins me right round like a record 
  • Sponsored links:

• Instagram…

He's either a Charlton fan, or.......
  • cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Nope, and none of us have any influence on anything transfers, but what’s wrong with saying you don’t agree the ‘can’t be worse than’ comment.  As I said, not a dig in anyway and more a general comment about the quality I think we need.  Cafcfan1990 even said ‘not one that jumps out as a great signing’, and there were other comments about solid league one and ‘sensible not spectacular’ - the mindset comment is just something I’ve interpreted in general on here over the few years.  I think there has been a trend toward people thinking so and so will come good, or if so and so had better players around him, we/they would be right up there.

I just can’t see it.  At the moment, I see a very mediocre team, and so far this summer (correct or incorrect) the players we’ve been linked with on here make me think next season could be just as poor.  A right back who got farmed out on loan to Fleetwood last season and has had 4 solid seasons just doesn’t get the pulse racing 

What type of full back would get the pulse racing? A “big” name like Gunter? An inexperienced youngster dropping down from a Prem club wouldn’t either. No idea if Johnson is good enough for where we want to be but there can’t be many full backs out there that would be exciting signings. The wing back at Forest Green went to the Championship, most stand out L1/L2 youngsters will given the restrictions on foreign players.
  • edited June 2022
    Compared him to Adam Matthews, not much in it, Johnson wins more aerial duals and scores more goals, Adam’s more likely to get an assist and has a much higher pass success rate with 81% compared to Johnson’s 68%. Thought that might be down to long ball attempts but Matthews attempts more per game. 

Looking at Matthews stats and knowing how Ben Garner wants to play makes it look like we should have kept Matthews haha 

I’ll judge him from how he plays, but it feels very much like a Ben Purrington/Sean Clare signing. Player can’t get in the team/played out of position so gets transferred. Call me negative but signing a player that Portsmouth didn’t deem good enough doesn’t really excite me. This doesn’t strike me as a long term signing. Incoming 1/2 year contract with an additional year extension in our favour 
  • Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

What type of full back would get the pulse racing? A “big” name like Gunter? An inexperienced youngster dropping down from a Prem club wouldn’t either. No idea if Johnson is good enough for where we want to be but there can’t be many full backs out there that would be exciting signings. The wing back at Forest Green went to the Championship, most stand out L1/L2 youngsters will given the restrictions on foreign players.
    Not every signing needs to be "exciting" - yes we do need some real talismanic players to come in but not every single player we sign is going to be a spectacular one.

This is actually the kind of signing that I'd say shows the (potential) good side of a black box, analytics approach. He's 25 but plenty of experience, he could still push on a level or maybe he's peaked but probably not super expensive gamble and will get the job done.

Garner's claim to fame is how he managed to turn a makeshift, understrength squad into promo contenders (albeit a league down from us) but he didn't have a squad full of stars. Powell likewise knew that squad unity and character mattered just as much as quality and skill.

If EVERY signing turns out to be steady Eddie "solid pros" then yes I will start to be concerned. But I fully expect there to be at least a few more of that type to complement what I hope are more ambitious and exciting signings (the likes of McKirdy - hypothetically.)
  • I’d be surprised if Garner was keen on a defensive fullback.
    Take a look at the clips from the previous page. He gets forward a lot more than Matthews or Gunter ever did.

Think the fact he *can* play centre back is a bit of a red herring in this instance.
    You could definitely clip up footage of both Gunter and Matthews overlapping and whipping perfect balls in. 

From the clips he definitely looks more of a defensive fullback, tall and not particularly agile. A very similar mobility to Ben Purrington - not that it’s a bad thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    Scoham said:
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Just someone who hasn’t had 4 solid seasons at League One and spent the last season at Fleetwood who finished lower than us.  To be fair, I don’t know what exciting looks like anymore, so it could be me.  But cumulatively, with just under 6 weeks to go until the start of the season, the 14 that make up the current squad, reading of Bostock, Marquis, this chap and the other scraps I’ve picked up on here, plus the transfer policy of the last 2 seasons, it’s hard to see it being turned around at the moment.

I might be wanting something that doesn’t exist and being too negative, but just seems like a slog at the moment.  I think Garner’s a decent appointment, but I think the gulf between what we have and the quality we need is big.  Bigger than the names mentioned
    Wouldn’t mind CJ at all, for the simple fact he can play 90 minutes consistently over the course of a season. If a steady freebie right back in allows funds to be spent elsewhere then I’m all for it.
    I think you're both right.  He's solid.

But Marquis, Bostock also.

This is just solid.

I haven't seen a marquee name with any substance.

We won't get promoted with solid 

There is no evidence money is going to be spent elsewhere.

I remain happily open to be surprised.

But I doubt I will be.
  • Johnson would be a solid signing I think. But not sure if him and Clare as our 2 right back options is good enough to be challenging at the top end of the table so hopefully another first choice right back will be joining as well
  • Seems to be a real lack of talent available compared to previous seasons
  • NabySarr said:
    Johnson would be a solid signing I think. But not sure if him and Clare as our 2 right back options is good enough to be challenging at the top end of the table so hopefully another first choice right back will be joining as well
    If the worst player in your first 11 is a solid if not spectacular 7/10 full back there is no reason you can't get promoted.

Not the sort of signing that will get you promoted but not the sort of signing that means you can't either. 
  • Tbh I think next week will get a few signings unveiled, some might be done but waiting for the pics, which will be done early this week in training.  It also may see us tease the new shirts and show off the training gear.
  • cfgs said:
    Tbh I think next week will get a few signings unveiled, some might be done but waiting for the pics, which will be done early this week in training.  It also may see us tease the new shirts and show off the training gear.
    Have we actually ever done this?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cfgs said:
    Tbh I think next week will get a few signings unveiled, some might be done but waiting for the pics, which will be done early this week in training.  It also may see us tease the new shirts and show off the training gear.
    Have we actually ever done this?
    Nope and I have knowledge of absolutely nothing, so probably totally wrong.
  • edited June 2022
    Full backs/wing backs are very important in modern football, especially if you play 433 or a back 3.

No idea if this fella is good or not, but one thing for sure, we shouldn’t be signing cheap ‘make do’ type players at full back. Hopefully he is more than that.